PGP: I came, I saw, ....I rocked the Casbah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. :hug: Had a really nice visit! It's hard for her to get in and out of chairs, and when she's up, she moves very carefully, but I'm sure she'll be okay in a few days or week. It could have been much worse, thank god it wasn't. At that age, broken bones are very serious.

We actually moved her into another room a few days ago - well, my sister and niece did all the moving, along with a moving company, while I was at work - and the fall happened the first night in her new room. It's really nice, though, I'm pleased with it. My sister and I are both going to go back tomorrow and help to organize it a little more. That should be fun, the three of us always have a good time together. :)

Sounds a lot like my last few days. :sigh:

:hug:

My sister called me at work near the end of the day yesterday. The night before, at 9:30, she got a call from my mom's retirement home saying that my mom fell in the shower. They checked her over well and nothing seemed to be broken, but she fell against something on her back, kind of back where the ribcage extends, so she's very lucky she didn't break a rib, or worse. I was scrambling to get shit done so I could leave on time and start the weekend, and then that. I was very upset obviously, but I was also pissed that my sister didn't let me know before. She said she was afraid I might be in bed the evening she found out (I could probably count the number of times I've gone to bed that early in the past year on one hand, I'm usually up till 11 - 11:30), and she didn't want to call me during the workday and worry me. I'm sure she had good intentions, but she doesn't get to make those decisions for me. If something happens, I want to know, period. Then I can deal with it however I choose.

I left work and went to see my mom. By then, they were in the dining room for dinner, and so I stood and talked to her for 10 or 15 minutes, discreetly lifted up the back of her shirt and saw the bruise (it's awful :( ), then I was just getting in the way, so I left. I guess she didn't get much sleep the night before, because they were in and out all night checking on her. My sister spent yesterday afternoon with her, and said all she wanted to do was sleep, because of being kept up all night. She's really sore, but has been going down for her meals, the staff have been helping her back and forth from her room. She would, even if she was in agony, just to prove she can - she's stubborn like that. :) I'm going to spend the afternoon with her.

After the fact, I felt bad for kind of giving my sister shit for not telling me - she was really upset herself and told me she cried all the way home yesterday afternoon. And she's had a busy, stressful week, is exhausted, and she's not well herself (health issues). She was only doing what she thought was best, but still. We've talked several times since then though, and everything's fine.

Glad your mom is okay, VP.

It sucks to feel powerless when it comes to your parents

Truer words have never been spoken...

Excellent! :up:

And shrimp like cucumber?! :lol: Did you cut it up into small pieces or did they just have at a regular sized slice?

Thanks. :hug: I know I didn't do anything wrong, so there's obviously something weird going on with that company. :shrug: Whatever. I'm pretty much over it. Onto the next thing. Which will hopefully be a PERMANENT, non-temp position. I like getting paid, but I don't like all this uncertainty. For my mental and physical health, I need my life to be stable. It's just too damn stressful.

Sorry about the stuff with your mom, but hope you guys have a good day together. :hug:

I woke up fairly early this morning, and decided to just go out and do my errands and stuff right away. I got everything done and was home shortly after 10am. :hi5: I feel like a motherfucking adult! : D The laundry's in, so that's all that I have to think about for the rest of the day. I just downloaded book 2 in the Hunger Games series, so I'll probably hooked on that for the rest of the day. : D
Yay for getting stuff done!

@Gg: Shrimp have paws? :ohmy:

Tara, you would know that feeling better than anyone. :hug:

Watching Radiohead in Prada from the In Rainbows tour. I'm far from being plugged in to the Radiohead fanbase, and I can't remember how I found out about this dvd, but I remember when it became available a huge deal was made. We saw this tour, and so I downloaded it. It made me think of how spoiled and lucky we are as U2 fans to have tons of dvd bootlegs.

Tara, you would know that feeling better than anyone. :hug:

Watching Radiohead in Prada from the In Rainbows tour. I'm far from being plugged in to the Radiohead fanbase, and I can't remember how I found out about this dvd, but I remember when it became available a huge deal was made. We saw this tour, and so I downloaded it. It made me think of how spoiled and lucky we are as U2 fans to have tons of dvd bootlegs.

I remember when that album was released; it was a big deal.... I think because it was an iTunes/Target exclusive album... but I could be thinking wrong. :D

Oh, and to add on to the family health troubles: I think something may be wrong with Jamie (the older cat). I'm not sure if he's eating or not... he tends to be nocturnal, and only comes after we go to bed. Especially lately, as my nephew comes over a lot, and my brother's girlfriend and her toddler come over a lot. The cat does not like little kids, and I know it's probably just that, but I'm still worried. :sad:

Oh, and to add on to the family health troubles: I think something may be wrong with Jamie (the older cat). I'm not sure if he's eating or not... he tends to be nocturnal, and only comes after we go to bed. Especially lately, as my nephew comes over a lot, and my brother's girlfriend and her toddler come over a lot. The cat does not like little kids, and I know it's probably just that, but I'm still worried. :sad:

:( Could you maybe put him in a room by himself when they're over, and make it off limits to the kids? He'd still hear the sounds, but maybe he'd be less upset? That way, you could also monitor if he's eating.

In Rainbows was the one they first made available online themselves, and accepted donations for it, whatever the fans wanted to pay...even nothing, if that's what you chose. Later, they came out with vinyl and a bunch of other special editions that you had to buy.

I haven't listened to Radiohead in ages, and this song just came on. I have chills, it's amazing. Here's one of my favourite versions. If you click on it and enjoy it, all of their "Live From The Basement" song versions are amazing. I should d/l all of them and make a dvd...

Radiohead - All I Need [live From the Basement] - YouTube

And this one, too! Sorry, I'll stop posting Radiohead videos. :reject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1uzNymHwk&feature=related

eta - one more, but this is it, I swear. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4goNqMdwE&feature=relmfu

Not Radiohead!

This is for my Canadian peeps on Juno weekend. :kiss:

translator1.jpg

Curious...do any of you Americans know what any of the Canadian references are? If so, which ones?

:( Could you maybe put him in a room by himself when they're over, and make it off limits to the kids? He'd still hear the sounds, but maybe he'd be less upset? That way, you could also monitor if he's eating.

In Rainbows was the one they first made available online themselves, and accepted donations for it, whatever the fans wanted to pay...even nothing, if that's what you chose. Later, they came out with vinyl and a bunch of other special editions that you had to buy.

He stays in my closet most of the time, and I thank god that it's a walk-in and that I put a little cupboard in at the back. The cupboard has latching doors, and I prop one door open for him so he can hide on the bottom shelf. I tell both kids to stay out of my closet, but they won't stay out of my room. I try to put food in with him, but he gets pissed off and runs to the other room and hides under my brother's bed. My mom is fairly certain he still eats though, because she has seen him go over to the food dish at night (she doesn't sleep much.)

I know for certain he's drinking water, because I put a water dish in with him and I've seen him drink from it, and I know when he uses the cat box (he scratches more than the kitten)...

Oh, I knew it was something to do with the way they released; I just couldn't remember what. :lol:

He stays in my closet most of the time, and I thank god that it's a walk-in and that I put a little cupboard in at the back. The cupboard has latching doors, and I prop one door open for him so he can hide on the bottom shelf. I tell both kids to stay out of my closet, but they won't stay out of my room. I try to put food in with him, but he gets pissed off and runs to the other room and hides under my brother's bed. My mom is fairly certain he still eats though, because she has seen him go over to the food dish at night (she doesn't sleep much.)

I know for certain he's drinking water, because I put a water dish in with him and I've seen him drink from it, and I know when he uses the cat box (he scratches more than the kitten)...

Oh, I knew it was something to do with the way they released; I just couldn't remember what. :lol:

How old are the kids? I have an idea, if they're young enough. :hmm: I did this when my brother's kids were young and used to come over here, because they were absolute beasts who wouldn't stay out of anything. I had to put a lock on one of the bedroom doors, to keep them out of things they weren't supposed to be into...it's a spare room, and at the time, my desktop computer was in there. All you need is a very basic lock...even one of the hook and eye locks, if you put it high enough, will prevent them from going in. You can buy them at dollar stores for next to nothing. Cheap and it works. :up:

The hook and eye would work well for 5 and under. Mine were like 5 - 10 years old at the time. I bought one of the locks that have a u-shaped thing on the door frame and then you screw another piece with a slot on the door...close the door and the slot goes over the u-shaped part, and you can lock with a padlock that can only be opened with a key. I was all "HAHA, take THAT, you little fuckers!" I was proud of myself for keeping them out. For the record, they're now in their 20s, and still very unpleasant people and I still wouldn't trust them around my things.

eta - trying to find a picture of what I mean. Sort of like this, but without the slidey thing.

Door-Bolts-and-padbolts.jpg

This is closer, but it's gross and old timey. Or rustic, depending on your aesthetic sensibilities.

Door_and_padlock_B_W_as_req__d_by_picture_frame.jpg

:lol: Love the list, VP! Even though I'm Canadian, I have no clue what The Polaris Music Prize and NXNE are, and I've never heard of Mitsou. Otherwise, the rest of it made me LOL. :D

There's a fabulous restaurant in my area that just announced a birthday club. If you sign up, you can get a free entree on your birthday week. What fabulous timing!! :lol: I just emailed them to sign up, but said I'd understand if it's too short notice to take advantage of it next week. :wink: We'll see what happens. I'd love it if it did happen, though! The food there is SO phenomenal. I've been meaning to go back for months, but it just hasn't worked out. No matter what, I'm going to plan to go there sometime soon anyway. :)

Ooooh, Radiohead videos! Must remember to watch these tomorrow once I'm not sitting here obsessed with the NCAA tournament. The OSU Buckeyes are in the Final Four which is the ONLY reason I'm still watching. Basketball is not one of my favorite sports but when one of the 'local' teams makes it into playoffs/finals it becomes MUST WATCH, y'know? Gotta support the homefront. :up:

:lol: Love the list, VP! Even though I'm Canadian, I have no clue what The Polaris Music Prize and NXNE are, and I've never heard of Mitsou. Otherwise, the rest of it made me LOL. :D

There's a fabulous restaurant in my area that just announced a birthday club. If you sign up, you can get a free entree on your birthday week. What fabulous timing!! :lol: I just emailed them to sign up, but said I'd understand if it's too short notice to take advantage of it next week. :wink: We'll see what happens. I'd love it if it did happen, though! The food there is SO phenomenal. I've been meaning to go back for months, but it just hasn't worked out. No matter what, I'm going to plan to go there sometime soon anyway. :)

Polaris is a Canadian award that's given out each year. They're mostly indie, I think. There's a famous British equivalent, but I can't remember the name.

NXNE is Toronto-based, a music week with a shitload of concerts in small venues.

Mistou was a French performer from Quebec, mostly from the late 80s/early 90s, I think. I'm not surprised you don't know her. :lol: This was her most famous song.

Mitsou - Bye Bye Mon CowBoy - YouTube

Polaris is a Canadian award that's given out each year. They're mostly indie, I think. There's a famous British equivalent, but I can't remember the name.

NXNE is Toronto-based, a music week with a shitload of concerts in small venues.

Mistou was a French performer from Quebec, mostly from the late 80s/early 90s, I think. I'm not surprised you don't know her. :lol: This was her most famous song.

Mitsou - Bye Bye Mon CowBoy - YouTube

Figures that most of it is east-coast based. :wink:

That's a catchy song, but yeah, I wasn't listening to much radio when I was a kid. :lol:

Thanks! :D I'm already signed up for a lot of those already (I think you posted the link a while ago, and I signed up for some stuff then), but I'm going to look over it again to make sure. I've already gotten several emails from some of the companies, and I got my free drink postcard from Starbucks in the mail the other day. Yay for free stuff!

I really, REALLY like that song. I remember watching that thing on VH1 and quite enjoying it.

Not Radiohead!

This is for my Canadian peeps on Juno weekend. :kiss:

translator1.jpg

Curious...do any of you Americans know what any of the Canadian references are? If so, which ones?

I know who the Guess Who, Leonard Cohen, the Tragically Hip, the Moffats, Snow, and Bryan Adams (I'd BETTER know that last one, or else Tara'll smack me upside the head :wink:) are.

And I heard of the Tragically Hip and the Moffats thanks to MuchMusic-we used to get that channel here years and years ago, like in the late '90s, early 2000s, and I remember those bands getting played on there.

I kinda miss MuchMusic-I remember they used to play a lot of cool stuff that wasn't getting much airplay on U.S. music channels at that time. That channel's since been replaced with Fuse, and it has its moments of cool programming and moments of "bleh" programming.

And I've heard of the Juno Awards, too.

Figures that most of it is east-coast based. :wink:

That's a catchy song, but yeah, I wasn't listening to much radio when I was a kid. :lol:

It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the British award, but it's one that Neil McCormick talks about every year when it's that time.

You didn't listen to radio as a kid?? I had one from the time I was like 6 or 7, and it never left my side. Back in the old days, it was called a transistor radio. :lol: They were like walkman sized.

It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the British award, but it's one that Neil McCormick talks about every year when it's that time.

You didn't listen to radio as a kid?? I had one from the time I was like 6 or 7, and it never left my side. Back in the old days, it was called a transistor radio. :lol: They were like walkman sized.

The Brits? :lol: That's the only one (other than the Q awards) that I can remember for sure.

Not much, no. The only time I ever religiously listened to the radio was when there was a hockey game on. :wink: Because we lived in a remote area for most of my growing up years, we could only get a few stations clearly - mostly it was static. However, by the mid to late 90's there were more options, and I was a teenager then, so I had the radio on all the time then. But when I was a kid, no. I didn't really care much about music then - all I cared about were books. :laugh: :nerd:

I really, REALLY like that song. I remember watching that thing on VH1 and quite enjoying it.

I know who the Guess Who, Leonard Cohen, the Tragically Hip, the Moffats, Snow, and Bryan Adams (I'd BETTER know that last one, or else Tara'll smack me upside the head :wink:) are.

And I heard of the Tragically Hip and the Moffats thanks to MuchMusic-we used to get that channel here years and years ago, like in the late '90s, early 2000s, and I remember those bands getting played on there.

I kinda miss MuchMusic-I remember they used to play a lot of cool stuff that wasn't getting much airplay on U.S. music channels at that time. That channel's since been replaced with Fuse, and it has its moments of cool programming and moments of "bleh" programming.

You pass, you get to be Canadian! :hug:

If you liked House of Cards, you should listen to Videotape, that was on the last page. Sigh. So gorgeous and haunting.

I pretty much had no choice but to listen to the radio as a kid. My dad worked as a DJ, so radio helped pay the bills in our household :p.

That's so cool! What was his format?

The Brits? :lol: That's the only one (other than the Q awards) that I can remember for sure.

Not much, no. The only time I ever religiously listened to the radio was when there was a hockey game on. :wink: Because we lived in a remote area for most of my growing up years, we could only get a few stations clearly - mostly it was static. However, by the mid to late 90's there were more options, and I was a teenager then, so I had the radio on all the time then. But when I was a kid, no. I didn't really care much about music then - all I cared about were books. :laugh: :nerd:

Not the Brits, this is given to one band or performer. I'm sure someone around here will remember!

Happy Birthday, Thora! :hug:

How old are the kids? I have an idea, if they're young enough. :hmm: I did this when my brother's kids were young and used to come over here, because they were absolute beasts who wouldn't stay out of anything. I had to put a lock on one of the bedroom doors, to keep them out of things they weren't supposed to be into...it's a spare room, and at the time, my desktop computer was in there. All you need is a very basic lock...even one of the hook and eye locks, if you put it high enough, will prevent them from going in. You can buy them at dollar stores for next to nothing. Cheap and it works. :up:

Um, Sebastian (my nephew) will be 6 in May (he reminds us daily), and Keegan (my brother's girlfriend's kid) will 3 next month.

And I wish I could add a lock to one of the doors, but all stuff like that goes through the apartment management and the maintenance guys. I think I can manage to keep my nephew out of the room, since he's comes over the most. And since the younger one usually just comes looking for me, I'll stay out of my room until he leaves... or goes to bed.

Oh, but good news: I got him to eat something! :yippie: :happydance:

:lol:

And, I know who the Moffatts are! I love them! They were really talented... wish they would've stayed a band.

Happy Birthday, Thora! :hug:

Um, Sebastian (my nephew) will be 6 in May (he reminds us daily), and Keegan (my brother's girlfriend's kid) will 3 next month.

And I wish I could add a lock to one of the doors, but all stuff like that goes through the apartment management and the maintenance guys. I think I can manage to keep my nephew out of the room, since he's comes over the most. And since the younger one usually just comes looking for me, I'll stay out of my room until he leaves... or goes to bed.

If it gets to be too much, you can put one up, and then if you move, you can get a tube of wood filler for a couple of dollars to fill in the screw holes in the doorframe. :shh: :shifty: They even sell it tinted to match various finishes.

Not the Brits, this is given to one band or performer. I'm sure someone around here will remember!

Oh, I have no clue then. But I googled, and it's saying the UK award is the Mercury Prize. I guess there isn't a US equivalent? :confused: :lol:

Thanks in advance, Tara. :) It isn't until Tuesday, but I doubt I'll be online much that day. :D

You pass, you get to be Canadian! :hug:

Woohoo! I always had the feeling I'd fit in well up there :D.

(I've made note before of how I'm not a sports person, though, and don't care about hockey. Will this be a problem :reject:?)

If you liked House of Cards, you should listen to Videotape, that was on the last page. Sigh. So gorgeous and haunting.

Will do :). I remember checking out songs from In Rainbows sometime back, but it's been a while, so I'll definitely revisit them again.

That's so cool! What was his format?

He worked in pretty much every one imaginable, actually. Classic rock, top 40, oldies, he did talk radio for a bit (he followed Rush Limbaugh's syndicated radio show and gleefully enjoyed poking holes in Rush's, ehem, "logic" :p), country...anywhere he could find the work. And he had a genuine love of music and loved studying the history of music, so we had rock and roll encyclopedias around the house and we had records and mix tapes and all sorts of things. So I've grown up with a love of music thanks to him. I can't play an instrument for crap, but I can't imagine a world without being able to listen to music. It'd drive me insane, I think.

Oh, I have no clue then. But I googled, and it's saying the UK award is the Mercury Prize. I guess there isn't a US equivalent? :confused: :lol:

Thanks in advance, Tara. :) It isn't until Tuesday, but I doubt I'll be online much that day. :D

That IS it! I just looked up the wikipedia article, and PJ Harvey won again this year, for the second time. I remember Neil talking about that.

Woohoo! I always had the feeling I'd fit in well up there :D.

(I've made note before of how I'm not a sports person, though, and don't care about hockey. Will this be a problem :reject:?)

Will do :). I remember checking out songs from In Rainbows sometime back, but it's been a while, so I'll definitely revisit them again.

He worked in pretty much every one imaginable, actually. Classic rock, top 40, oldies, he did talk radio for a bit (he followed Rush Limbaugh's syndicated radio show and gleefully enjoyed poking holes in Rush's, ehem, "logic" :p), country...anywhere he could find the work. And he had a genuine love of music and loved studying the history of music, so we had rock and roll encyclopedias around the house and we had records and mix tapes and all sorts of things. So I've grown up with a love of music thanks to him. I can't play an instrument for crap, but I can't imagine a world without being able to listen to music. It'd drive me insane, I think.

I don't like hockey either, so we can be an exclusive Canadian club. Heh. I actually used to be a hardcore baseball fan, but I kind of lost interest in that, too. Every year I say I'm going to get back into it. Maybe this will be the year. :)

That sounds like such an amazing upbringing!! My brother is 13 years older than me, and was all into the late 60's and early 70's music scene, thus my love for the era. When i was 10, he bought me a shitload of albums for Christmas, including several Beatles and Beach Boys albums. My sister is a couple years younger than him and her sensibilities were more poppy, so from her I got the pop of the day and Motown. My parents were fans of 60s and 70s country, so from them, I learned to love Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, and their ilk. And since I was a very young kid, starting school age, I've been exploring, myself. Listening and reading and attending concerts. Anyway, because of all that, I tend to have an appreciation for the history of pop and rock music, and it sounds like you do, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom