PGP: How to recover from the BonoMono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to figure out the logistics of HOW you see a band 180+ times. Even if they played weekly, which is pretty unheard of, that's still like 3 and a half years of going EVERY week and never missing a show.

Even for the local bands that I never miss a show of, I don't think there are any I've seen more than *maybe* 30-40 times.

oh, she addresses that issue in her manifesto on fb

Yeah, there's loving U2....and then there is that. Do you listen to any other music??

There is a pretty decent cover/tribute/channeler band in Boston called Joshua Tree. What is cool is of the singer can sound a lot like Bono - you do sort of get to hear some stuff you many never hear live. I don't think I've gone out of my way to see them, but have been to some beer fests that they play.

She also drops the number of other concerts she's seen so don't try that argument with her.

My first Interference gathering, I flew out to SoCal to see a tribute band with the SoCal crew and then drive out to "the tree". My husband (and my friend that I was staying with) thought I was :coocoo: too.

Yeah, there's loving U2....and then there is that. Do you listen to any other music??

Exactly! Between those group conversations and some other stuff I've seen on FB lately, it kinda makes me want to be like "Whoa, dude. Go read a book or something." It's totally not my place to tell other people how to live, but when the superfans start thinking you're a little crazy, it's probably not a good sign. :sexywink:

This reminds me of that movie with Janine Garafalo The Truth About Cats and Dogs.. she's a radio talk show host for a show about pets. She says "You can love your pets, just don't...love your pets."

KristenCaNaDiAn said:
Wow :ohmy:

Some people :rolleyes:

:wave:

I did that and I'm still getting emails for some reason.

How's you today?

I'm good, I slept for like ten hours...AGAIN. How about you- has your sleeping pattern returned to normal yet?

Ms The Edge said:
I unsubscribed from emails, set the notifications to "only threads I'm subscribed to" and then clicked unsubscribe from all the ones I'd commented on, so now it is blissful silence. :love:

Thanks, I have to do that...I can't stand it anymore :lol:

GraceRyan said:

There is a pretty decent cover/tribute/channeler band in Boston called Joshua Tree. What is cool is of the singer can sound a lot like Bono - you do sort of get to hear some stuff you many never hear live. I don't think I've gone out of my way to see them, but have been to some beer fests that they play.

Thing is, it's not U2! It's one thing to see them 180 times (that wouldn't be easy, I don't think there are many people who have) but it's just a tribute band! I don't get it. I saw one once and it was cool...just made me want the real thing though. And it was last summer just after the postponement, so bad timing.

I'd be the first to admit though, that I really don't care much about *other* music. I go through it like water and don't get attatched. U2 is the only band I care about.

:wave: hi gg,zu, k, grace & JJ

MTE thanks for bringing that Edge B-D tribute over here!:applaud:

i was at that U2 Radio City Music Hall show.

i thought i remembered bono going down into the pit area ...we were up in the balcony :grumpy:
remember jumping up a lot off our seats and dancing and singing to the songs!

*goes to look*
I have to post in the Edge B'day thread too (I'm sorry Larry - I have enough love for BOTH of you... I promise :macdevil: :flirt: )

:lol:

I'm good, I slept for like ten hours...AGAIN. How about you- has your sleeping pattern returned to normal yet?

:up:

It's pretty much returned to normal. I only had two nights where I slept for like 10 hours. But it's getting back to normal seeing I have to be up for work during the week.

Did you find out about the car yet?

KristenCaNaDiAn said:
It's pretty much returned to normal. I only had two nights where I slept for like 10 hours. But it's getting back to normal seeing I have to be up for work during the week.

Did you find out about the car yet?

I just keep getting really tired and falling asleep around 10/11 at night, which is crazy because I used to stay up until at least 2 am :crack:

No, the car thing hasn't come in the mail yet. I wish it would so then I could call Chase. It's probably going to come when just my dad is home, of course. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Between those group conversations and some other stuff I've seen on FB lately, it kinda makes me want to be like "Whoa, dude. Go read a book or something." It's totally not my place to tell other people how to live, but when the superfans start thinking you're a little crazy, it's probably not a good sign. :sexywink:

:lol:
Yeah... read a book... *stays on Interference instead of reading a book* :reject:

I finally just left that group completely. I'd be interested in seeing any of my actual friends (like, people I've met and/or talk to all the time online), but I'm really not interested in having a convention in a hotel (that's what it's starting to sound like - ha) with 500 people I don't know. Sounds like a giant pain in the butt. And Vegas in July = no thank you!

Also, I was actually heartened to know from that argument, that some people apparently find U2.com's forums as "nasty" as Interference. Ha! Glad we're not alone in that distinction. :wink:

Love all the U2 stories. Mine is kind of vague, but ...

I was aware of U2 in the mid-80s. MTV was forbidden in my house (not that we had cable, but my parents told me I wasn't allowed to watch it at friends'; of course I did, and my beloved grandma let me watch it at her house!), but I'd seen the videos for New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride.

Somewhere along the way, maybe 1986 or 1987? One of my cousins (from the "big city," who always knew about the cool new music before I did) gave me a cassette of The Unforgettable Fire for Christmas. I liked it a lot.

Picked up The Joshua Tree somewhere along the way, was definitely becoming a U2 fan.

When Rattle & Hum came out, the switch was flicked, and it was full-blown obsession from then on. :)

Well that was interesting. I sat in the train with my music on engrossed in my puzzle... then I realised as I put away the paper that the person next to me was one of my high school bullies.. I didn't bother saying hi or talking or whatever, I fell asleep anyway(as I would), and when I woke up he was sitting across from me. I could feel his eyes on me for a while.

That was.... awkward. :huh:

my U2 Beginnings story

In the Fall of 1980 I was 27 and following (mainly with a few others to a lesser= degree) Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd who'd split up separately from Television ( Little Johnny Jewel , Marquee Moon), Talking Heads, The Patti Smith group, Springsteen, The Who, Midnight Oil, The Clash.....
and was a big fan of (and occasional contributer) to The New York Rocker.
It was one of the Zines locally IN ?1975 - 76 to follow the CBGB's Punk/New Wave scene and the music started AND with widening circulation over a bunch of years following that scene and it's widening influences over the USA NE region, outward into the heartland and beyond and over the waters into Great Britian, Ireland, Europe etc

I pick up the ?? Oct/Nov80 issue ( not sure). In the back in a modest Live Review from GB the editior who's gone over there SEZ of U-2 ( yes then with the then hyphen and Bono VOX) who have been making their London debute at The Marquee Club:

"they're anthemic, the connect with the audience, are ambitious.......if... they can manage to avoid the pitfalls and an early breakup....they coukd be a band who gets up to play at The Stadium' Level.

I was INTRIGUED! Sounded like MY kind of band! But managed with all the other bands to follow --- missed the Ad in The Village Voice OR Soho Weekly News for either their debut show or one soon after IN NYC!!!!

Con't

I must confirm this somehow but my extended family and us may have been dining at the Top of The World Restaurant in Ther World Trade Center the night they played..... :| :sad: :lol:

THEN the following Spring of 1981 IWF/OOC came out-- NOT Sure whether the PRE-American Tour INterview that this SAME editor ( who saw their 80 show) did the morning after the Marque Show---but not printed UNTIL 5 months later when Boy was getting ready to be released-- came befoer or after I heard IWF/OOC.

BUt there were things said in that interview that really got me even more interested in them!

I was not that impressed at all OVERALL with Boy...but I loved IWF/OOC I Loved some of the stuff they said in the interview AND.....

... I trusted this Editior's judgement of live performances to go see them eventually....

I wasn't that impressed over all with October either except I was floored by Gloria, Seconds, and I Threw A Brick......

ANY and with that much MAGIC in a few songs was bound to eventualy ( usually) get even better !! :hyper:

SO by the time I actually got my first glimpse of them rehearshing NYD's from The Circle Line because i was kind of coerced into giving up my ticket ( which 2 other friends went ) but I figured since I had a free pass to go on the CL..I would use it THAT afternoon b/c the venue was right next to the CL's departure place ( where The Intrepid is now) to try and AT LEAST see them rehearsh...

and I Caught Adam started up the BAss for NYD and edge coming in On piano!
And BY that time obviously WAR had come out AND THAT was the album I felt that really a whole bunch of good to great songs! SO their music was doing it for me in recorded form.

AND I got to see them in another year Full Band at that Radio City Music Hall concert and been a fully active fan since then! :heart: :D

I finally just left that group completely. I'd be interested in seeing any of my actual friends (like, people I've met and/or talk to all the time online), but I'm really not interested in having a convention in a hotel (that's what it's starting to sound like - ha) with 500 people I don't know. Sounds like a giant pain in the butt. And Vegas in July = no thank you!

Also, I was actually heartened to know from that argument, that some people apparently find U2.com's forums as "nasty" as Interference. Ha! Glad we're not alone in that distinction. :wink:

Love all the U2 stories. Mine is kind of vague, but ...

I was aware of U2 in the mid-80s. MTV was forbidden in my house (not that we had cable, but my parents told me I wasn't allowed to watch it at friends'; of course I did, and my beloved grandma let me watch it at her house!), but I'd seen the videos for New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride.

Somewhere along the way, maybe 1986 or 1987? One of my cousins (from the "big city," who always knew about the cool new music before I did) gave me a cassette of The Unforgettable Fire for Christmas. I liked it a lot.

Picked up The Joshua Tree somewhere along the way, was definitely becoming a U2 fan.

When Rattle & Hum came out, the switch was flicked, and it was full-blown obsession from then on. :)

Good morning, Cori.
Yeah, I remember seeing Rattle and Hum in the theatre with friends. I think we saw it twice in the same week.

:hi5:

I saw it the day after Thanksgiving when it came out. I had every single interview and the Grammy acceptances on VHS. I still own several VHS tapes of the outtakes from the movie. I even based a short story in creative writing class on the 'girl' in Running to Stand Still. My obsession goes into the wayback machine.

Remember the cassettes were double sided. You had all of Boy, October, War and UF on both sides??

my story

In the Fall of 1980 I was 27 and following (mainly with a few others to a lesser= degree) Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd who'd split up separately from Television ( Little Johnny Jewel , Marquee Moon), Talking Heads, The Patti Smith group, Springsteen, The Who, Midnight Oil, The Clash.....
and was a big fan of (and occasional contributer) to The New York Rocker.
It was one of the Zines locally IN ?1975 - 76 to follow the CBGB's Punk/New Wave scene and the music started AND with widening circulation over a bunch of years following that scene and it's widening influences over the USA NE region, outward into the heartland and beyond and over the waters into Great Britian, Ireland, Europe etc

I pick up the ?? Oct/Nov80 issue ( not sure). In the back in a modest Live Review from GB the editior who's gone over there SEZ of U-2 ( yes then with the then hyphen and Bono VOX) who have been making their London debute at The Marquee Club:

"they're anthemic, the connect with the audience, are ambitious.....if they can manage to avoid the pitfalls and an early breakup....they coukd be a band who gets up to play at The Stadium' Level.

I was INTRIGUED! But managed wit all the other bands to follow --- missed eitheir debter show soon after IN NYC!!!!

con't

The Who were the first band I really loved. I had a thing for Pete Townshend very briefly.

I just keep getting really tired and falling asleep around 10/11 at night, which is crazy because I used to stay up until at least 2 am :crack:

No, the car thing hasn't come in the mail yet. I wish it would so then I could call Chase. It's probably going to come when just my dad is home, of course. :rolleyes:

Well you've had a month of no sleep so that's acceptable :wink:

Keep me posted on the car situation :hug:

Yeah, I remember seeing Rattle and Hum in the theatre with friends. I think we saw it twice in the same week.

i'm almost pretty sure becuase of the timing of when you started hanging out in PGP (but not posititve) you know ( if so and remember) my Rattle and Hum and album cover story...........

.....well I finally talked to my sis about it again AFTER 23 years!
GOd, I think she said (b/c of her iffy memory at times) she didn't remmeber.... but she trusted what I was saying ... (and I have the little sample of artwork) ....but if I coULd give her a time frame she would look it up in her journals.

They only other person who would definativley know is our mutual friend who died almost 2 years ago :sad:...
ALtho her husband may remember If she (friend) mentioned it to him.

i'm almost pretty sure becuase of the timing of when you started hanging out in PGP (but not posititve) you know ( if so and remember) my Rattle and Hum and album cover story...........

.....well I finally talked to my sis about it again AFTER 23 years! GOd, I think she said (b/c of her iffy memory at times)she didn't remmeber....she trusted what I was saying ... ( and I have the little sample of artwork) ....but if I coULd give her a time frame she would look it up in her journals.

They only other person who would definativley know is our mutual friend who died almost 2 years ago :sad:...
ALtho her husband may remember If she (frined) mentioned it to him.

Was that your 30th anniversary post? I remember that. I think that was one of the first PGP posts I ventured into. Otherwise, I just hung out in Pleba looking at the pictures and adding when I could.

Was that your 30th anniversary post? I remember that. I think that was one of the first PGP posts I ventured into. Otherwise, I just hung out in Pleba looking at the pictures and adding when I could.

oh wow!

The end of last year into this spring IS my 30th anniversary of being a U2 fan!

telling that story oh back in 2005?......... was b/c i
had hardly ever though of it, and never discussed it with anyone from the day or 3 after i had heard this person had died......

and seeing so much of R&R Vids here ..when I had never gone to see the movie.... because i guess unconciously i knew I'd probably would burst out
WEEPING in the theater at some point .........
that would have been "entertaining"...

rebrought the whole story back to me...what a devastating disappointment it was.

it was cathartic to finally allow the feelings I buried come out.....

Back
Top Bottom