PGP: Girls rolling to `07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad_Girl said:

in some cases, electrical shock therapy directly in the brain has shown some incredible success but it is obviously a dramatic treatment, and not commonly used

the jury is still out on that one

SG :hug:

I did a paper about ECT once (and of course have heard about it in classes, discussed it with Scott, etc...) and it's highly effective for those who are suffering severely enough to need it. There are some unpleasant, mostly short-term side effects, but when you consider that depression is a life-threatening illness, it's well worth the temporary inconvenience (headache, short-term memory loss, usually short in duration)...and most importantly, it saves lives. :)

Still working on my song title editing. :crazy: I'll be in and out.

I'm glad to have shed some light on the subject; it's sort of a project of mine; my personal soap-box if you will :wink:

I do what I can to try talk openly about it, because it's something a lot of people still don't know a lot about and there is still a 'mental health' stigma that makes people wary of it

I think with most things general education and communication are the biggest steps in dealing with a problem.

*steps down off soap box* :D

VintagePunk said:

SG :hug:

I did a paper about ECT once (and of course have heard about it in classes, discussed it with Scott, etc...) and it's highly effective for those who are suffering severely enough to need it. There are some unpleasant, mostly short-term side effects, but when you consider that depression is a life-threatening illness, it's well worth the temporary inconvenience (headache, short-term memory loss, usually short in duration)...and most importantly, it saves lives. :)

Still working on my song title editing. :crazy: I'll be in and out.

:yes: I think it's a real God-send; but again there are a lot of misconceptions about it because of the history of mis-use

:hug: good luck on that project :uhoh: I feel your pain :lol:

Aww! Bye Dazz :hug: hope to have a chance to hang out longer again soon!

The methods that are used now are a lot better than they used to be. Things have changed re: electrode placement, the strength of the current used (lower doses), people are now anesthetized, etc.

My sister-in-law underwent several rounds of it for a few years, about 10 or 12 years ago.

VintagePunk said:
The methods that are used now are a lot better than they used to be. Things have changed re: electrode placement, the strength of the current used (lower doses), people are now anesthetized, etc.

My sister-in-law underwent several rounds of it for a few years, about 10 or 12 years ago.

I watched a news article recently on a procedure in which they actually open the skull, while the patient is awake and alert, and then there is a focused 'zap' to an area of the brain which is determined at the time of surgery, by asking the patient how they feel as they stimulate it with smaller amounts of electrical impulse - the camera was in the room for one surgery, and other patients talking about it described it in a similar fashion, when they found the right spot, they just felt - different. their body felt lighter, the lights were brighter, colors more vibrant; it was like emerging from a tank of dirty water

Good evening! :hug:

SG - thanks for what you said about depression. :hug: There are several of us in my family (myself included) who deal with depression in varying forms. I always appreciate it when people can be more educated about it, and not always think of the stereotypes and misconceptions that are often out there. :)

redhotswami said:
Hi Sarah!
Thora, good to see you :hug:

Brit, my life is now complete since you've returned :sexywink: How's your Christmas going?

It's going amazing!! I've been having a great time with my family and friends. I've been obsessing over my U2 iPOD:drool:

Sad_Girl said:

I watched a news article recently on a procedure in which they actually open the skull, while the patient is awake and alert, and then there is a focused 'zap' to an area of the brain which is determined at the time of surgery, by asking the patient how they feel as they stimulate it with smaller amounts of electrical impulse - the camera was in the room for one surgery, and other patients talking about it described it in a similar fashion, when they found the right spot, they just felt - different. their body felt lighter, the lights were brighter, colors more vibrant; it was like emerging from a tank of dirty water

Isn't that cool?? :hyper: Many brain surgeries take place with the patient awake, so that the surgeons can measure the reactions of the patient. The brain cannot feel pain, so they are able to do all of this with the person awake. Fascinating! :drool:

Hi Mia! :hug: We heave nearly 4,000 songs on this computer, and about a quarter of them are labelled in this funky way, so I have to go through and edit the titles/artists. I've put in probably 6 hours so far, and I'm not even half way through. :sigh:

Hey Brit, Drea, Sarah! :hug:

tpsreports2424 said:
Sooo...What do you guys usually do here?

anything from debating religion and talking philosophy to talking about men we think are sexy or about our jobs, kids, men we think are sexy... music, history, school, movies ... :hmm:

occassionally we hold naked jell-o wrestling matches :D

VintagePunk said:

Isn't that cool?? :hyper: Many brain surgeries take place with the patient awake, so that the surgeons can measure the reactions of the patient. The brain cannot feel pain, so they are able to do all of this with the person awake. Fascinating! :drool:

Hi Mia! :hug: We heave nearly 4,000 songs on this computer, and about a quarter of them are labelled in this funky way, so I have to go through and edit the titles/artists. I've put in probably 6 hours so far, and I'm not even half way through. :sigh:

Hey Brit, Drea, Sarah! :hug:

Hey VP! *squeezes* I've missed you! How was your Christmas?:hug:

Back
Top Bottom