PGP: Chin rodents and greasy mullets are not allowed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nine Inch Nails...*shudder* (on a slightly unrelated note, that's what Annoying Cab Driver a couple days ago thought punk music was :no:)

I suppose I'll let myself get sidetracked from the main topic of interest...Tara, any really redeemingly awesome songs of Pearl Jam's? I like Eddie Vedder's voice but something about the style of most of the songs I've heard bothers me.

See, I liked PJ when they came out and still like them. I never cared much for Nirvana. They just seemed to the band everyone picked up on - not sure why. The best ting about Nirvana? Foo Fighters. YES I SAID IT.

Grunge was blacklash against metal and UK brit. Everything 80s. They weren't as artsy as REM or some of the other college music. They were all about guitars and simple melodies. They didn't have outfits for the stage - unless you were the Smashing Pumpkins, but I never considered them grunge.

I like NIN. Check out Dessau's version of Isolation. It's actually my fave version. I did like a lot of industrial like KMFDM, Ministry, Lord of Acid...

See, I liked PJ when they came out and still like them. I never cared much for Nirvana. They just seemed to the band everyone picked up on - not sure why. The best ting about Nirvana? Foo Fighters. YES I SAID IT.

Grunge was blacklash against metal and UK brit. Everything 80s. They weren't as artsy as REM or some of the other college music. They were all about guitars and simple melodies. They didn't have outfits for the stage - unless you were the Smashing Pumpkins, but I never considered them grunge.

I like NIN. Check out Dessau's version of Isolation. It's actually my fave version. I did like a lot of industrial like KMFDM, Ministry, Lord of Acid...

Godammit. Cannot resist the covers.

I actually haven't listened to Nirvana much, I like one of their popular songs, forget which one, but otherwise don't really get why they were so popular (and then I remember that Kurt Cobain died...not quite "death is a career move" ala ZooTV but it tends to end up being one.)

As for guitar and simple melodies. That sounds very punk-y to me. Except that grunge was kind of 'messier' instrumentally, right? I really have no idea.

And...industrial, also, is what?

As for everything else, you could probably Facebook message me everything. I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of musical ground to cover. (I wonder when I'm going to find the time to listen to everything...)

Does anyone know why Bono hates his arms? I've watched thousands of shows where the man is in risk of overheating from wearing LEATHER jackets. Yet, he persists. From Elevation to now. I keep thinking that he'd be so much more comfortable if he took off the jacket.

Does anyone know why Bono hates his arms? I've watched thousands of shows where the man is in risk of overheating from wearing LEATHER jackets. Yet, he persists. From Elevation to now. I keep thinking that he'd be so much more comfortable if he took off the jacket.

Maybe because we've never told him how much we love his arms?

There is a term in the Urban Dictionary for Ted Mosby. As in, Don't be a Ted Mosby.
:lol:

Katie, are you narrowing the field to only covers that appeared in the 90s, or do recent covers of 90s songs count?

*wonders if that was confusing*

Uh, neither. But Grace pulled out an obscure Joy Division cover, therefore making me listen to it because I was intrigued ;)

Grace—I was about to say this lacks Stephen Morris and is therefore irrelevant...but then about midway the singing started to make sense with the drums and it got a little better...it sounds like my head after too little sleep, though :giggle:

And I love Bono's arms. I don't know why he hates them. Those arms have kept me many a night awake after watching Rattle & Hum too late :crack: damn you, fabulous arms.

I'm a-watching this to get myself started (oh god when will I ever finish Dr Who, ah well) oh yeah and because my insomnia will be a bitch if I try to get to sleep this early after waiting till 5 yesterday. I mean, today.

Madchester - The Sound of the North (part 1 of 8) - YouTube

Godammit. WHY MANCHESTER ACCENTS, WHY ARE YOU PRETTY TOO.

Not to mention the Sex Pistols clip in the beginning is quite entertaining. And all the cheesy 80s background music for when stuff's being explained and no relevant music has to be played.

Awesome. :giggle:

I don't understand a lot of the dancing I'm seeing either. The slow-movements-as-if-through-water / exaggerated-miming thing. What the.

...wait, nevermind, apparently they were all on ecstasy and LSD. :ohmy:

Even watching youtube of people dancing like they're on ecstasy cause it was in style feels trippy *blink*

It's so weird to think that a lot of the kind of music we hear at dances (aside from Lady Gaga and shit) is basically exactly like what people were listening to in the 90s.

What the.

Is it just me or does music get redundant? (and then some movement or other tries to freshen it up?)

Now I've just combined two unrelated things and imagined sped-up Manchester 90s dancing. :lol:

Tara—I mean, it feels like for the last 2 decades (or 1.5 that I can remember) we've been listening to only different versions of the same dance song.

Yes, speed does. And the crash is never fun. Hence why I didn't do it for very long.
:up:

Now I've just combined two unrelated things and imagined sped-up Manchester 90s dancing. :lol:

Tara—I mean, it feels like for the last 2 decades (or 1.5 that I can remember) we've been listening to only different versions of the same dance song.
:lmao:

Yea. I get that feeling too. Like you said, except for Lady Gaga... though I do like her music, sometimes.

She's different, I haven't wanted to listen enough to try and think of how. But the idea of making catchy annoying pop songs is very very repeated. And it bothers me she's intentionally? unintentionally? copied so many other artists' looks or ideas.

Although I didn't mind pogoing to Lady Gaga that one dance here because nobody really gave a shit what they were listening to.

On a more cheery note, I think I'm in love with Paul Oakenfold's remixing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWYtIdJD7M

Back
Top Bottom