PGP: Brb, gone off to party in Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 2-days-before thing seems to be a new US trend; I know Chicago started 2 days early (Seattle was just 1 day, thank god). It's really fucking irritating.

GA at the stadiums has enough funky quirks that, while they often end up being problematic to some who waited in line, can end up benefiting those who weren't able to line up as early, or line up at all.

There are also quirks that make things shitty for everyone, but that's just the joy of GA, I guess.

What a trend :huh: Not healthy...

No. I'm still in Boston. My husband doesn't feel well. That means I have to bring my daughter to my inlaws and come home and pack. Ugh. This is starting to not be fun right now.

:down: Not good, luck is far to be found. Wish I could help or something but yeah, there's a bit of ocean in the way :uhoh:

No. I'm still in Boston. My husband doesn't feel well. That means I have to bring my daughter to my inlaws and come home and pack. Ugh. This is starting to not be fun right now.

:hug: I hope things start to go more smoothly for you!

I don't have the strength to stress right now. Maybe on the weekend? Or maybe I'll surprise myself, throw a few things into a bag all casual-like, and wing it.

:lol:

By the end of a tour (I think this happened with Vertigo, too), I am so over the whole GA thing and kind of disenchanted with a lot of U2 fans as well (friends excepted, naturally, because I don't tend to see that ugly behavior in people I actually like). I start getting all righteously indignant about so much of the bullshit. :lol:

GA really does tend to bring out the worst in some people, it seems.

Makes me want to buy a back-up douchebag seat for Moncton, just in case. I don't need to actually eat in August, do I? :hmm:

:ohmy: 2 days before in the USA !!!! :ohmy::angry:

aaaaaaaaa noooo I can't afford a hotel IF I get to go to philly

I was planning on arriving there sometime between 6AM - &AM depending on trains availibilty! & getting ataxi or public transit.

hi VP :sigh: :hug:

Hey Dazzled! What's wrong? :hug:

By the end of a tour (I think this happened with Vertigo, too), I am so over the whole GA thing and kind of disenchanted with a lot of U2 fans as well (friends excepted, naturally, because I don't tend to see that ugly behavior in people I actually like). I start getting all righteously indignant about so much of the bullshit. :lol:

GA really does tend to bring out the worst in some people, it seems.

Makes me want to buy a back-up douchebag seat for Moncton, just in case. I don't need to actually eat in August, do I? :hmm:

Same. All that "U2 fans are the very best people in the whole world!11!!!!!" thing has me rolling my eyes a lot. Newsflash - some U2 fans are idiots! :wink:

I'm actually leaning toward soundboard for TO, anyway. I'll spend some time with the girls in line of course, but I'm going to enjoy my two days off (for the next year!! :scream: ) and try not to put pressure on myself and make it this stressful marathon. :up: We'll see how long that lasts when I get there, though. :wink:

Jem has been texting me today, so I know they got awesome numbers (yay!!!) but Sarah just texted me and told me that this girl she knows from school, but didn't realize she was a big U2 fan till we met her in line for Toronto in '09, she's in Montreal right now and posted on FB that she met Edge today!!

I do kind of chuckle when people proclaim "Wow, I thought U2 fans were supposed to be so awesome, but I'm so disappointed" because, think about it.

U2 has oodles, hundreds of thousands, dare I suggest millions? I don't know, I can't count that high. They're all over the globe. I don't know why you would think that that many people would all be alike. There's bound to be some jerks in the bunch!

I do kind of chuckle when people proclaim "Wow, I thought U2 fans were supposed to be so awesome, but I'm so disappointed" because, think about it.

U2 has oodles, hundreds of thousands, dare I suggest millions? I don't know, I can't count that high. They're all over the globe. I don't know why you would think that that many people would all be alike. There's bound to be some jerks in the bunch!

Exactly.

And even some fans who are good people, the GA situation turns them into uber-competitive asshats.

People I like excepted, of course. :lol:

It really does. It's stressful enough without people acting like selfish knobs. "I am wearing my ONE shirt, but to hell with you, my fellow U2 fan!"

Eh, whatever. I'm glad I can vent/joke about it on the site. It makes me feel better. :)

I know better than to put "Hell Is Other U2 Fans" as my Facebook status. :wink:

"Saving places for people in the GA line is wrong! You're a horrible person for even asking! Now excuse me, but I'm going to spread-eagle myself along the front rail to save spots for my three friends who are numbers 401, 402 and 403 in the line."

Hey Dazzled! What's wrong? :hug:

I'm actually leaning toward soundboard for TO, anyway. I'll spend some time with the girls in line of course, but I'm going to enjoy my two days off (for the next year!! :scream: ) and try not to put pressure on myself and make it this stressful marathon. :up: We'll see how long that lasts when I get there, though. :wink:

uhh..... only 2 days off for you till next year? (besides paid holidays?!)

I'm upset that people will be lining up 2 days before hand!

Being that I want to be on the outer rail like in '09 have some chance.... since i'm not aiming for front reail...
I HOPE!!!!......of getting a Outer rail GA spot....

Having seen u2 in concert only once up close I want /need to see them like that again once more.

"Saving places for people in the GA line is wrong! You're a horrible person for even asking! Now excuse me, but I'm going to spread-eagle myself along the front rail to save spots for my three friends who are numbers 401, 402 and 403 in the line."

I can't wait till they head back into arenas. Although, if you're going to line up at a stadium, Toronto is a great place to do it.

Dazz, are you tall enough to get away with being in the middle of the pit? It might be worth saving your stress over lining up and join the line late enough in the day where you'll likely be just a couple of rows back from the front row or the outer rail.

I can't wait till they head back into arenas. Although, if you're going to line up at a stadium, Toronto is a great place to do it.

Seriously. This shit makes me long for the days of arenas and lotteries.

Can you imagine if they switched to using Springsteen's method of GA? :drool:

I would truly welcome it, but I can already imagine the griping. It would be a nice change to try it, even just for one tour.

(Although, and this is funny, on the Springsteen Backstreets forums, I swear there were people over there whining about Bruce's GA rules and saying "Man, I wish they'd do it like U2 did!" Grass is always greener and all that!)

uhh..... only 2 days off for you till next year? (besides paid holidays?!)

I'm upset that people will be lining up 2 days before hand!

Being that I want to be on the outer rail like in '09 have some chance.... since i'm not aiming for front reail...
I HOPE!!!!......of getting a Outer rail GA spot....

Having seen u2 in concert only once up close I want /need to see them like that again once more.

Aw, I hope everything works out for you, and you get the spot you want! :)

Myself, I dunno. Maybe I'm just cranky, but I'm not even sure that being on the rail for a stadium show is worth it. The set-up is so massive compared to an arena that relative to that, even if you are up front, the amount of space they have to cover in a stadium, you're not that close to them most of the time, anyway. Unless you head for the very front-of-stage rail, that is. :)

I would truly welcome it, but I can already imagine the griping. It would be a nice change to try it, even just for one tour.

(Although, and this is funny, on the Springsteen Backstreets forums, I swear there were people over there whining about Bruce's GA rules and saying "Man, I wish they'd do it like U2 did!" Grass is always greener and all that!)

There are huge benefits to the Broooce method, and it would solve so many issues. The problem for me though :reject: is that if I'm going to be up front (or even by the soundboard) I have to have a rail to lean on, because of my back, I'd never make it standing for however many hours without one. At least this way, despite the problems inherent in it, if I decide to go for a rail spot, if I put my time in (days, even :crack: ) I will probably get one. It's nice to have that control. Otherwise, I'd be all over the Bruce thing.

eta - and in this post, I sound like one of those people. :reject: :lol:

"...We're one, but we're not the same...especially if we're vying for the same rail spot..." *trips fellow fan* :lol:

:lmao:

What kind of method for GA does Springsteen use? :reject:
Never saw him live in a venue , only at a festival. :love: Awesome stuff.
Clarence is going to be missed :(

Jem has been texting me today, so I know they got awesome numbers (yay!!!) but Sarah just texted me and told me that this girl she knows from school, but didn't realize she was a big U2 fan till we met her in line for Toronto in '09, she's in Montreal right now and posted on FB that she met Edge today!!

yay!!!! :hyper::yippie: for Jem & Co!

wayyyyyyy cool for Sarah's friend! :hyper:

:lmao:

What kind of method for GA does Springsteen use? :reject:
Never saw him live in a venue , only at a festival. :love: Awesome stuff.
Clarence is going to be missed :(

Cori could probably explain this much better than I can, I've never seen Springsteen, I've just heard about his GA policy. They have people show up the day of the show and get wristbands, and then leave. Not sure how many they give out, maybe 200 or 500? Let's say 500. Then they tell everyone to leave and be back at a certain time, like maybe 5 pm. Then they do a draw of the numbers of wristbands they handed out, and randomly pull a number. Let's say they draw #318. The person with that wristband then becomes the first person in line, and then 319 is second, 320 is 3rd, and so on, till they get to 500. Then number 1 gets in line behind 500. Number 317 is the last person in line.

It negates the need to line up, and gives the first however many people a fair chance to be up front - you don't have to be one of the first people to get there to be up front, it's completely random. :)

Is that about right, Cori?

Dazz, are you tall enough to get away with being in the middle of the pit? It might be worth saving your stress over lining up and join the line late enough in the day where you'll likely be just a couple of rows back from the front row or the outer rail.

I'm 5' 6 3/4" somewhat tallish (still above avg for a woman)

I could probably be 1- 2 people behind those at the front trail.:hmm:

It was just last time I was wearing (didn't know quite at the time) sneakers that I wouldn't be comfortable in for the 8 hrs I stood....
... which is why I was soooo grateful for the outer rail my feet were hurting so badly!

tho this time I'm going to buy a blow-up pillow so I can seat for the 2 hrs before we're let in but bunched up IF it works like NJ did?

Can you imagine if they switched to using Springsteen's method of GA? : drool:

:scratch:
what IS Bruce's GA rules...

See I saw Bruce & E St up close yearsssss ago (76, 78) :hyper::drool::drool::lol:

5th row, and 2 other shows running up to the pit to take pics in 2 theater gigs!

I'd love to see him up close again once on the next tour (no clarence :sad:)
but I don't have to....

U2 one more time up close .... I have to! :D

Aw, I hope everything works out for you, and you get the spot you want! : )

Myself, I dunno. Maybe I'm just cranky, but I'm not even sure that being on the rail for a stadium show is worth it. The set-up is so massive compared to an arena that relative to that, even if you are up front, the amount of space they have to cover in a stadium, you're not that close to them most of the time, anyway. Unless you head for the very front-of-stage rail, that is. : )

thanks VP!

Oh I know but whent hey came by on the Outer Rail it was sooo :ohmy: :hyper: :drool: WOW!!!!!! :wink:

Cori could probably explain this much better than I can, I've never seen Springsteen, I've just heard about his GA policy. They have people show up the day of the show and get wristbands, and then leave. Not sure how many they give out, maybe 200 or 500? Let's say 500. Then they tell everyone to leave and be back at a certain time, like maybe 5 pm. Then they do a draw of the numbers of wristbands they handed out, and randomly pull a number. Let's say they draw #318. The person with that wristband then becomes the first person in line, and then 319 is second, 320 is 3rd, and so on, till they get to 500. Then number 1 gets in line behind 500. Number 317 is the last person in line.

It negates the need to line up, and gives the first however many people a fair chance to be up front - you don't have to be one of the first people to get there to be up front, it's completely random. :)

Is that about right, Cori?

*lurker*

Does that mean nobody gets to be with their friends at the show though? I guess it's Bruce over friends? :lol:

*lurker*

Does that mean nobody gets to be with their friends at the show though? I guess it's Bruce over friends? :lol:

I guess it would work okay if you and your friends got a consecutive series of numbers? The odds that the draw would fall within the numbers of your particular group and split you up would be pretty small, I think. They must make allowances for families and stuff if that happens...

Later Dazzled. :hug:

Oh, I got my monthly call from Bob last night. :huh: Seems like it's become a battle of phone wits at this point, who can outlast who - him calling, and me not picking up.

Oh, and former crush guy did something kind of weird today at work.
Came to ask me a question about some of the work his department was doing for me, and then sort of just ended up chit-chatting, and stayed at my desk for a LONG time, probably 10 or 15 minutes. This was during my lunch, too. I stayed at my desk to catch up, and was going to eat while I worked. So not only did I not get to eat, he also prevented me from getting things done. :lol: I did eat later, though. And I've basically showed no interest in him in weeks.

Men are strange, and rarely worth the trouble. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom