Panic attacks/anxiety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hi there,
I've always kept a journal but for recent events, I find that I want to jot down my thoughts here because in PLEBA I have found such an amazing network of strong, funny, and supportive people.

Sunday night found me in the ER. My heart was racing and I was extremely tense and frightened. I had been feeling this way since last Wednesday. All week I had been suffering from a sinus headache, rapid pulse and heartbeat, and horrifying thoughts.

Wednesday happened to be the funeral of a very close family member. My uncle..my mother's brother. He had passed away the Saturday before. As an Italian family, we are all extremely close. This was such a shock to me and I took it really badly. So it doesn't seem like a coincidence that my symptoms became so violent starting Wednesday night.

By Sunday night my husband was really scared and took me to hospital where they checked my blood pressure and gave me an EKG...everything was fine. I was given a prescription for Xanax, which I'm probably not going to take.

What happened to me???

Thinking back over the past few weeks I'm beginning to understand the power of the human mind. The weekend before my uncle's passing, my mother was rushed to the hospital with the fear that she was having a heart attack. I turned out to be acid reflux and her heart is healthy.

Then the following weekend, my uncle passed suddenly from cardiac arrest.
Then my brother had a funky dream where he dreamt he was sitting at a round table with my uncle and me.

Then blammo! my symptoms started. Is it so crazy?

I'm sorry for rambling on. I apologize if I bummed anyone out. I just needed to get it out. Thank you all.

It's not crazy. I have had panic attacks in the past during especially stressful times. I too ended up at the hospital during one in particular after we lost three family members during a short period of time. I began having them after my oldest son's twin died. Take care of yourself. It will get better.:hug:

Last edited:
It's happened to me as well

Have you tried something like meditation or yoga? Or herbs? I think drugs should be a temporary thing if necessary, long term I think they're dangerous and addictive. Some herbs can be dangerous too, you have to do research and take them in moderation.

Even walking helps, well it helps me.

:hug:

If you wanna talk more in depth, feel free to get in touch with me. I'm familiar with this stuff. I don't know how much help I could be, I could at least relate with ya.

I used to suffer with something like anxiety.
I used these drops to calm me down. You just put 4 or 5 drops on your tongue when you feel something coming on. It sounds like total BS but it does work. It worked for me.
It's called Emergency Essence by this guy, Jan de Vries. He does all sorts of things, and an assortment of these drops for different problems.

Last edited:
Sweetie and Bono Chick. Last night I was admitted to the ER for this. I am terrified, it was the worst experience of my life. Heart rate going nuts and my hands tingling....honestly thought I was dying. My mind feels like there is a cloud on it still. This morning I felt it coming on again, but I fought it off somehow. Xanix is supposed to help and hopefully when I see my DR. tomorrow he gives me some. Thanks for listening, I am still freaking out a bit.

Please drop me a line if you want, I am in Boston as well.....angeloamico3@hotmail.com

I've been there too. The first time I wound up in the ER because I didn't know what the hell was going on either....In my case, it seems that stressful situations activate my symptoms, it sucks..

Thank you all for your advice. :hug: I kept trying to tell myself that nothing serious was happening to me. I'm healthy and young and it couldn't be a coincidence that it happened right at the tail end of a stressful 2 weeks. But my thoughts got the better of me and it made me worse. Is it normal to still feel the anxiety almost a week after the initial "attack"?

u2granny I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. :sad:

I've been having these also due to my mother's health issues. I am extremely close to my mother. Additionally I've had two cases of viral malaise caused by a lingering shingles infection. I'm afraid I'm going to have another one because both of those were before the triple bypass surgery, which, to say the least has been a major stressor.

:hug: Sweetie :hug:

I had those things too but that was because I was really depressed and afraid of everyone. (Because my ex-best friend told everything about me to my other friends. Because of this I lost all my friends :()

But i don't think it's crazy when you lose a close family-member. :hug:

It helps me when I go walk with the dog. Or go atleast outside.

I hope you're feeling better soon. :hug:

Strange this should come up since I had someone close to me experience this last night and I was up late trying to talk to them. I have been there myself and I feel for anyone who has experienced it. I am really sorry the ER didn't guess my problem before charging me for all those heart tests :sigh: Take care :hug:

I also have had panic attacks since last year, and it's the most terrifying thing ever, because the physical symptoms are real, no matter how you try to rationalize it. What stuck me is that by talking about it to many people around me, I realized it's very widespread, especially among women.

I only had one full-blown attack, the first one, and I thought I was going to stop breathing and that my throat was going to shut. Then in the following weeks it kept coming back at lower levels, but sometimes 3 times a day. It was horrible. I also think that it's better to try to deal with that without drugs, although I did take some at the beginning when things were going really bad.

Now things are better, although I still have weird feelings that I am going to die or stop breathing sometimes, and it's very scary. The most important thing is to change your lifestyle to be more relaxed. I never thought I was stressed, but it seems like I was unconsciously. Now I cut down on activities, on coffee drinking, and most importantly I am doing physical exercise on a regular basis.

Anyways, I know how you feel, it's the most terrifying thing, and no one aound you can really understand how it feels. Remember that it's not dangerous, it's in your head, and therefore you can take control over it.

I suffered from anxiety attacks too. The first ones appeared when I was living in Ireland. My doctor in Dublin ran some blood tests and a ECG. Evereything was just fine. After a while, these attaks went away. But they came back when my mam had to have surgery last year. And that's when everything started all over again.

It's such a horrible feeling. When it happens, you think it's never gonna end. I used to take some Alplax, which is another version of Xanax. Now I only take these tablets as musle relaxants and to avoid my fecking teeth grinding at night.

In my experience, yoga and swimming helps a lot. Not only they relax your body, but they also take your mind away from your troubles.

Last edited:
I know this stuff just doesn't go away on its own...but I do hope everything starts getting better for everyone real soon. I had/have something alittle different....depression/anger whatever you call it. I didn't think I needed anything for it but it just wouldn't go away. I get mad at the smallest things, I don't enjoy anything, not interested in things.. I feel awful most of the time. I just got some St. Johns Wort and that seems to be helping alot. So maybe there is a type of herb out there for you...just becareful with them. But take the help if you were given, there is nothing to be embarressed about.

This thread is a great idea by the way....boy just typing all that made me feel better.....:hug:

I've been having panic attacks for 5 years now ever since my daughter passed away.....and the only thing I have found that really helps me is talking myself through them. I get them so bad I sometimes throw up, I can't stand any kind of noise, and people being in the room with me makes it worse I have to be alone when I have one.
Does any body elses skin hurt for a day or so after the attack passes, for some reason the slightest touch hurts me.

:hug: to everyone here who has suffered from this. It is a very upsetting experience (unfortunately, I speak from experience with myself and my sister). Thankfully, there is medicine out there to help people who need it. I've found I am able to "talk myself out of it" but my sister takes something every day in low doses and that has helped immensely. There's no reason to suffer if you can get to a doctor and seek medication. :hug:

Dismantled said:
just got some St. Johns Wort and that seems to be helping alot. So maybe there is a type of herb out there for you...just becareful with them. But take the help if you were given, there is nothing to be embarressed about.

Yes.. but women should be careful about herbs, I've heard that St. Johns Wort in particular lessens the strength of birth control pills. But you're exactly right, Dismantled, there are treatments available and should be used where necessary.

Crazy how common all of this is.. must be something in the water :huh: When we finally figured out what was happening to my sister, people came out of the woodwork with similiar stories.

oliveu2cm said:
:hug: to everyone here who has suffered from this. It is a very upsetting experience (unfortunately, I speak from experience with myself and my sister). Thankfully, there is medicine out there to help people who need it. I've found I am able to "talk myself out of it" but my sister takes something every day in low doses and that has helped immensely. There's no reason to suffer if you can get to a doctor and seek medication. :hug:

:yes:

:hug: to everyone - I haven't had panic attacks, but I have dealt with depression, and it is important to either talk to someone about it or medication, if that helps :hug:

oliveu2cm said:

Yes.. but women should be careful about herbs, I've heard that St. Johns Wort in particular lessens the strength of birth control pills. But you're exactly right, Dismantled, there are treatments available and should be used where necessary.

Yes...it weakens the pill and you should avoid tanning beds and blazing sun...it might make you photosensitive. Thanks for catching me there Olive2cm, I forgot to mention that.:up:

My daughter wrote what was supposed to be a pamphlet and ended up a booklet about anxiety, stress, and various methods of dealing with it. If I have questions about "natural" remedies I ask her.:wink:

kellyahern said:

:yes:

:hug: to everyone - I haven't had panic attacks, but I have dealt with depression, and it is important to either talk to someone about it or medication, if that helps :hug:

if you don't mind me asking how did you deal with it? I think I am going through the same thing......

Sweetie, and all - Keep your heads up. This is the hardest thing ever to get over. I have had MANY attacks like this, and quite a few nervous breakdowns in the past...there are people out there to help with these things, not to mention some great herbals. I found that acupuncture really helped me out too. Just remember that you are not alone, others out there care too :heart:

I know exactly what you're saying about having panic attacks!

The first time something like this happened to me was about 20 year ago&i was terrified that i was going to die too. :( I was sitting up late with my brother(the way we would do a lot, watching videos, incl. U2, of course!)&i suddenly felt convinced i was having a heart attack! I felt SO scared, i couldn't get the idea out of my head at all, and so i persuaded my brother Raymond(who is now very sadly dead :sad: )to go to A&E with me&he agreed straight away to walk there with me('cos he was an all-round decent brother!)and of course, there was absolutely nothing wrong with me, but i felt so so tensed up like crazy!! :(

I tended to get those kind of feeling from time to time, but it has come&gone. Honestly, i know exactly what you're all talking about, as i have felt exactly the same sensations, all the stuff about feeling like you can't breathe, thinking you are about to choke!! Horrible, just awful. :no:

So, Sweetie, i completely&utterly understand what you are going through&it is TRULY terrifying.

What actually really bugs me is the way that some people seem to pour scorn on the fact that people DO actually feel THAT bad&i know that it really does happen! :mad:

It's kind of like the same way that people say "pull yourself togethar", which is well-known as being the worst thing you could say to someone with depression, or whattever! :der:

It's really great that all of the PLEBA girls, however are so sensitive to each others feelings! Awwww :hug:

It's nice to read everyone's stories, because it is extremely widespread. I have found out that the most reassuring thing for me is to see that it happens to so many other people. In a way it makes you realize that there is nothing fundamentally dangerous going on with you, and when it happens, it is much easier to get through it. The bottom line is that you have to live with the attacks and not panic over them. For me now I sometimes have the same symptoms, but I don't go crazy over them (like thinking I'm going to die). Eventually the attacks started to dissapear by themselves, although I am very aware they might come back during rough or stressful times. At least I will know how to get through them.

After so many times of feeling like I was going to stop breathing, I have come to a point where I know I am NOT going to die, since I 'survived' so many times (!) That helps a lot.

I thought about joining a support group at some point, to talk about my experiences and hear about other people's. Maybe I should just hang out in PLEBA more:wink: We could have our own little support group ....

Aah, anxiety.

I was "diagnosed" with it about 2 and a half years ago when I started feeling like I was going to die. Literally, the only time I did not feel god-awful was when I was asleep. I was in constant pain--as if an elephant was sitting on my chest or an anchor was strapped to my heart and pulling it down my body. I was having horrible thoughts, constantly worried about having a heart condition or cancer or something of the like. Anxiety spawned hypochondria. Or perhaps the other way around. Who knows.

Went to the doctor, he put me on heartburn medication. Didn't work. Then, a month later he decided to put me on anti-depressants and Xanax. I've been on both of those for 2 and half years and have the occassional rough night but nothing nearly as bad as what I was experiencing a few years ago.

It's quite possible that you could have depression. I didn't realize that's what I had because I wasn't feeling sad about anything. I didn't feel depressed or down. But there's more to it than just those things. Talk to your doctor or read up on depression.

As for calming my anxiety, I noticed that when I did yoga twice a week I was feeling better than ever. No depression, no anxiety. Paired with the medication, I'm sure, didn't hurt. :wink:

Xanax has proved to be my savior. And people constantly hound me about getting off the medication saying how unhealthy it is to depend on something to feel normal. But, I don't look at it that way. I'm not dependent on it to feel normal. I figure that I lack the tools to be normal on a regular basis like most people do and the medication helps. What could be wrong with that?

I'm sorry your anxiety took you as far as the ER. I hope you're getting the support and advice you're searching for in this thread and through other means. (Remember, we're not doctors!)

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom