Origin of your screen name - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Origin of your screen name

After finding out the story behind Niamh's moniker, I was wondering what other fascinating stories are behind the names chosen to represent yourself. Is there an interesting reason you chose your name? Tell why you chose it!

Me- character in the The Fifth Element

Old 03-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Nothing that interesting about mine... "Desire" is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I tried to spice it up a bit by spelling it backwards.

So, it did NOT originate from the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter... I didn't even like Harry Potter at the time I chose my user name, though I like Harry Potter now.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Mine well is kinda easy LOL...I came up with mine back in 1997. I just decided Mullen-Girl cos I love Larry. LOL just as simple as that

Old 03-29-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Back in 2001 the computer was still new and its big monitor box was sitting next to the table it was on. I had kept it to put away some old clothes, and it was about a fourth of the way filled up with clothes when my cat chose it as a nesting spot to have her kittens So I was watching the sweet mama cat and kittens in the box when I registered. I am a cat loving person, and I love U2, so it's the perfect name for me!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 PM
'cus all I want is to live, love, and feckin' bootleg music! Also, I use this SN everywhere (eBay, gymnastics boards, etc) so I wanted one that's not partial to U2.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I got mine from the French word vert, green, with an e on the end to make it feminine. We use the language of heraldry in my medieval re-enactment society for our coats of arms, and I just decided to use the word for green, plus 76, the year of the centennial of my country.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
arw
Blue Crack Addict

arw=my initials

9797=a password at a job I had for 6 years. I had to write arw 9797 on everything.

When I signed up here I actually wanted to use my email as my name and use arw9797 as my password but somehow I got that all mixed up. My email is lemonedge430. Lemon and Edge...pretty obvious. 430 is for my birthday, April 30. It's ok because everyone around here just calls me arw. I guess I'd rather be called that than lemonedge.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:53 AM
First reason:

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky - I LOVEd and LOVE this song and especially this line

Tonight the moon is a mirrorball
Light flickers from across the hall
Who'll catch the star when it falls ---- *shiver* my second favourite song and line

Falling falling
The stars are falling down
Falling falling
They knock me to the ground
With a fire
Fire

When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill

So these are the reasons connectted with U2 - there is the play with moon and sun during the AB time so I took the stars.

And second reason: A falling star is such a beautiful thing - a star that is just dying and you have the chance to watch it...
Old 03-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:53 AM
I used to go by the name Mercury in the old Zoo (and some other places), but I eventually got tired of all the Freddie-references (even though it was kind of fun in the beginning...) and everybody else shortend it to Merc anyway, so...
And now, no one can guess that it's short for Mercury, so no one is giving me Freddie-references, and I thought "Oh well, Merc - that's pretty cool... I'll keep that!"

... but I did initally choose Merc(ury) because of Freddie*, the chemical element and the roman god

*) Yes, I was a fanatic Queen-fan once, but I'm certainly not anymore!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #10
New Yorker

Location: In the middle of the Pine Barrens with the Jersey Devil
...this was larry's nickname given to him by the lypton village *grins* i'm not sure why i picked it, though as i'm not a particularly big lardence fan nifty name, though
Old 03-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Because I love The Who.... and my old one: tiger_luver64 because I love tigers and the 64 was just a number I put lol... nothing special
Old 03-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by erised
"Desire" is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I tried to spice it up a bit by spelling it backwards.
...wow, I totally did not notice that until now.

U2Kitten...your story's cute! .

I like all these stories! I'd always wondered about a lot of people's s/ns on here, so it's nice to have a thread for it.

My screenname...well, it comes from a misheard lyric in my favorite U2 song. Back when I was just getting into the band, I'd thought Bono was saying, "Moonlight on the avenue" instead of "Blue light on the avenue" in "Angel Of Harlem". So the "Moonlit" part comes from that misheard line, and then the "Angel" part comes from the title of the song, and there you have it. .

Angela
Old 03-29-2004, 07:18 PM   #13
War Child

Gretchen is the diminutive af Margaret, Margaret means pearl, the word pearl is najeena in Arabic. I'm a fool for Arabic music and dance.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks Angela I think Moonlight on the avenue sounds better than blue light anyway Beautiful name! I thought Angel came from Angela.

This is all interesting! I always wondered about Verte's name, now I know! And I am surprised erised is not for the Mirror of Erised, and I never noticed it was desire backwards! I would have thought the 97 in Arw's name was because she liked Pop Good stories!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Thanks Angela I think Moonlight on the avenue sounds better than blue light anyway Beautiful name! I thought Angel came from Angela.
You're welcome. . Yeah, I like that line, too, but...*Shrugs*. Oh, well. Still a good song anyway. . And yeah, the "Angel" is mainly geared toward the song title, but it can double as my nickname, too. After all, that's one reason of many why I love that song. It's nice to find songs out there that have one of my nicknames in the title . And hey, I did go through Harlem when I went on that New York City trip in 2001...and I like hearing Bono sing "Angel"...('cause, you know, he's totally singing it to me. LOL. I wish).

Angela
Old 03-29-2004, 09:52 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
Gretchen is the diminutive af Margaret, Margaret means pearl, the word pearl is najeena in Arabic. I'm a fool for Arabic music and dance.

Side note: ...and Margaret is English for Megan and I had a thing for the song Running to Stand Still one week leading to my AIM screen name WhiteGoldenPearl. I know it's white gold and pearls but I changed it a bit.

Back on topic...After insisting on being called Megan for years, I went to college and started introducing myself as Meg instead. My friends started calling me Schmeg during my sophomore year in college and it stuck. Then one of my coworkers started calling me Schmeg a few years later, not knowing my friends at all. We don't work at the same store anymore, but when we see each other at meetings she still calls me Schmeg.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:29 PM   #17
The Fly

Wow what a cool thread. Nothing really special here. Just my way of representing u2 in St Louis. My little shout out to the guys.

erised I never would have gotten thats how you got your name. I'm to busy trying to pronounce it
Old 03-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #18
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by erised
Nothing that interesting about mine... "Desire" is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I tried to spice it up a bit by spelling it backwards.

So, it did NOT originate from the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter... I didn't even like Harry Potter at the time I chose my user name, though I like Harry Potter now.
I never realized that it's the "mirror of desire" when I read the book. It's so obvious too. Harry desires his parents....I always wondered what "erised" meant
Old 03-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #19
War Child

Mine was my first ever username for the Old Zoo...I joined there back in Dec 2001...anyway, a former friend used started to call me Anime Girlie that summer because I love anime, so I thought I can use that...lol...I knocked off anime and added U2 and threw on my HS graduation year which was 2002.

voila
Old 03-30-2004, 02:13 AM   #20
Refugee

Spanisheyes is one of my favorite U2 songs and Im Hispanic so I thought it was appropriate for me. 21 is my birth date. When I registered I wanted to use just Spanisheyes but somebody here was already using that name so I added the 21.