One of Edge's children unwell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think anyone here in PLEBA has anything to apologize for... I have seen some rude comments elsewhere that have made me cringe, but I think that for the most part here, we have asked questions out of concern and genuine feelings, not morbid curiousity and have been rather respectful and careful (at least that is the standard I have held myself up to) of not naming names or people and/or illnesses.

Best we can do is just keep sending our best wishes, think positive and hope that this stops the ugly tabloids from making life any more difficult than it already is for Edge and his family.

:hug:

Who4Life, sorry I didn't intend that as an attack on anybody just a comment.

The threads about this issue at Zootopia have been deleted everytime they appear. This also indicates to me that the topic is a taboo subject.

Without trying to add fuel to the fire, I imagine it would be unpleasant to be both ill and having your private medical details in the newspaper etc.

I understand human nature. I also understand what its like to have been ill and gossiped about. Not fun.

I dont mean any of this as an attack on anyone here.

peace

Miroslava said:
Sent this to the news desk, but am freaking out and thus had to share. This was sent on to me by someone I have been emailing with at U2.com

new.pressgazette.co.uk/?t=article&l=paper_in_legal_clash

Paper in legal clash with U2

Published: Friday, January 14, 2005

The Sunday World is due to face U2's lawyers next week to explain why it published details about a seriously ill relative of a band member.

The rock group injuncted the paper after its first edition to stop it repeating details in subsequent editions last weekend.

A court hearing next Monday will be the first time the Republic of Ireland's journalists' exemption from prosecution under the country's Data Protection Act 2003 will be challenged.

And it could even lead to the implementation of a statutory code of conduct for journalists in the Republic of Ireland.

The rock group's lawyers took action after the Dublin-based tabloid identified the relative and a condition they suffer from.

The story was not followed up in the Irish papers the following Monday after newsdesks were notified of the injunction granted against the Sunday World in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It is not known if the paper intends to contest the injunction - which effectively forbids it from again naming the relative or discussing their illness.

Despite knowing about the story, London-based titles - including The Sun , Daily Mail and News of the World - declined to publish it.

However, the Dublin-based Irish Daily Star reported aspects of the story last Friday. But they did not name the relative or the nature of their illness.

Now, if this injuction had been filed, why were they able to publish the really huge story this Sunday? And this makes it seem as if the published story is true, doesn't it?? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Oh yikes...this is just awful...It really is rather upsetting. :sad:

I wanted to post another thing that I found but I really don't want to be disrespectful at all. I feel bad that this whole thing has gotten out of control for Edge and his family. Tabloids are a nuisance.:banghead:

dsmith2904 said:
But what papers are these scans taken from? If it was the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Irish Times, BBC or even Hot Press that was reporting this story and had recent pictures with it (not eight-year-old paparazzi snaps) and a statement from a named person of good standing (not "unnamed sources close to the family"), then I would really believe this. Tabloid get things wrong all the time, in the US Star was reporting that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt were stronger than ever just as they were announcing their separation. I just don't think we should take it as 100 percent fact that Sian is in fact gravely ill just because these rags are reporting it.
Sorry to bump the thread...but this is exactly what I was thinking. I was just having a pm conversation with someone on the same topic.

Not to mention that's a paparazzi photo of Edge and Morleigh out for a stroll with the baby. Unsolicited. It's just a little seedy to put that in a serious article about childhood cancer.

I'm not trying to say there's no truth to the whole subject or just breeze over it. I'll be very upset for the Edge clan if this is confirmed by the U2 camp. Something is just slightly off about this article and the fact that no other paper in the world has picked up the story.

But the impression that story gives is that U2 is taking them to court not because the story is false, but because they printed true but private information, gathered surreptitiously. Legally, as that article points out, this could be a groundbreaking case.

Guys, you shouldn't believe anything unless it's confirmed by U2. Tabloids take rumors and run with them. For all you know, they stole the idea of Edge's daughter being ill from THIS THREAD. Interference is the biggest U2 fan community on the net.

Well from reading that latest news about them suing it looks like the story is correct sadly.
They havent said that the article is wrong and if you read the full piece it does state that ALL the papers were offered this but decided not to take it on.
Its up to Edge and his family to decide when to break the news.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom