Old School, baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam Jar

New Yorker
In the middle of the Pine Barrens with the Jersey
Okay, i'm having major 80's fuzzies, even though i wasn't alive for most of it haha-BUT the music, the style, the culture-HE MAN! Spread the 80's lovin, baby! hehe

80's.jpg

1.lucky.star.jpg

BIG HAIR! whee!
jan1hair.jpg

I :heart: the 80s!

I was born in 1981 so at the time I only really knew the cartoons, a few sitcoms, and the music, thanks to my parents. :up:

I have this videotape of me and a friend dancing around my living room to "New Sensation" by INXS...:lol: Great!

I also love the movies...John Hughes was/is a genius (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, etc).

Billy Idol...The Boss singin' "Dancing in the Dark." And, of course, U2! :happy:

:banghead: Edited because I forgot some stuff!

River Phoenix :happy: Man, what a great actor. It seems like he blows me away in everything he's in...Stand by Me especially! Definitely one of my all-time favorite movies!

Old school Nintendo...No, not Super Nintendo, the original Nintendo! My brother and I still have one that works...although lately it's been a little...iffy...

Last edited:
you're a child of the 80's if...
* You remember when Madonna was just hitting the scene.
*You thought "Weird Science" was a masterpiece
* You remember when MTV actually played Music Videos
* You actually know who Rick Springfield is
* U2 is too "popular" and "mainstream" for you now
hee hee hee!
*You love Molly Ringwald *gags*

Jam Jar said:
you're a child of the 80's if...
* You remember when Madonna was just hitting the scene.
*You thought "Weird Science" was a masterpiece
* You remember when MTV actually played Music Videos
* You actually know who Rick Springfield is
* U2 is too "popular" and "mainstream" for you now
hee hee hee!
*You love Molly Ringwald *gags*

:lol: I always used to get Madonna and Debbie Gibson mixed up! :shrug:

Wasn't Rick Springfield that guy with the "Jessie's Girl" song?

Oh...Something else...Richmard Marx...I thought "Right Here Waiting" was the best song ever! I just remembered this because there's actually an article about him in People magazine this week.

Kristie said:
yes well
seeing as I was born in 1983 I missed out on a lot :(
but...

ATARI BABY
old school Nintendo is also quality

:up: Yes! Atari! One of my friends actually has one of those that still works! She got a bunch of games at a yard sale and one was this ET game that we could never figure out because we didn't have the instructions...But ET just kept falling in these holes and then at the end his heart would be glowing and stuff. :happy:

wertsie said:

:up: Yes! Atari! One of my friends actually has one of those that still works! She got a bunch of games at a yard sale and one was this ET game that we could never figure out because we didn't have the instructions...But ET just kept falling in these holes and then at the end his heart would be glowing and stuff. :happy:

OH MY GOD I HATE THAT GAME
My dad's got his atari that still works.. I think.. I should go over htere and steal it
anyway
Neil used to always play that game and I could NEVER figure it out. I played space invaders :D

Kristie said:

OH MY GOD I HATE THAT GAME
My dad's got his atari that still works.. I think.. I should go over htere and steal it
anyway
Neil used to always play that game and I could NEVER figure it out. I played space invaders :D

Did you have instructions for it?

I used to play Atari... remember Frogger?
Remember Men at Work?
Breakdancing?
Ah, those good old days when MTV played videos!
Splash and wanting to have Daryl Hanna's hair...
Neon color clothes
Converse brightly colored sneakers
Were the Thundercats from the 80's or the 90's?
She-Ra! <--------- I wanted to be her...

When I get 80's nostalgia, I watch The Wedding Singer... Do you really want to hurt me?
:laugh:

flaming june said:
Remember Men at Work?
Breakdancing?
Neon color clothes

When I get 80's nostalgia, I watch The Wedding Singer... Do you really want to hurt me?

Kristie...:lol: That's hilarious! I think a lot of the games based on movies tended to be a little iffy at times!

Men at Work...YES! My mom has their album! I come from a land down under...

Thundercats were in the 80s...I always used to call them "Fundercats" because I couldn't pronounce the "th" sound...:lol:

Other random 80s stuff...

The Police
the Back to the Future films
A-ha
Tiffany

Ah, yes...The Wedding Singer! :heart: that movie!

ElegantlyWasted said:

All of this time I thought my friend and I were the only ones that did that... :wink: :yes:

:lol: It's funny as hell to watch now! My friend was a good dancer...I, on the other hand, was...NOT! :lol:

INXS Kick was definitely one of the best album's to come out of 1987, in my opinion...For me, right up there with JT and Crowded House's debut.

heehee...loveth...i distinctly remember:
~carebears
~rainbow bright
~popples
~my little ponys
~converse all stars
~neon outfits

and big hair.....only then i didn't try to make it big...it just happened....

stoopid poofy hair...but that's another story!

i have an atari that still works! The only game I have for it is centipede though, i think my dad threw the others away or something :mad: I remember the popples! I had a stuffed animal and a Popples bed spread. I love old school nintendo, my favorite video game ever is Mario 3! I was born at the end of 1982 so I missed out on some stuff because of my age.
80s music rocks my world and The Wedding Singer is my favorite movie.....ok.....enough rambling for now.

Kristie said:
yes well
seeing as I was born in 1983 I missed out on a lot :(
but...

ATARI BABY
old school Nintendo is also quality

:lmao: :lmao:

ATARI!!!! is awesome! I feel so old sometimes when I tell the kids that are younger then me about atar1 bc they go "YOUR REALLY OLD THEN AREN'T YOU"

:lmao:

funder funder funder funder CATS!

my brother and I had ALL the action figures.
And the sticker books.
I miss sticker books :(
thundercats.jpg

and for he-man, I spent like 3 months trying to convince my ma to name the cat Skeletor before she agreed on Sparky
Remember when there were toys that didn't require batteries?

GI JOE WITH THE KUNG FU GRIP

Jam Jar said:
Okay, i'm having major 80's fuzzies, even though i wasn't alive for most of it haha-BUT the music, the style, the culture-HE MAN! Spread the 80's lovin, baby! hehe

80's.jpg

1.lucky.star.jpg

BIG HAIR! whee!
jan1hair.jpg

heh. I was born in 1973, so yeah... I was right in the middle of all that big hair. Yup.

Let's see.... from left to right, to to bottom on that picture of 80's cartoons:

Heman, Strawberry Shortcake (I had a scratch-&-sniff coloring book with Strawberry Shortcake, I had wrapping paper that smelled like Strawberries - and I even had two of the little dorky dolls that smelled like fruit), The Chipmunks, Rainbow Brite (freaked me out last year when one of my students came into class with a Rainbow Brite sweatshirt on), SheRa, uh... that one on the middle far right has stumped me, The CareBears, The Smurfs, and last but not least, The Transformers. I also remember very vividly the Thundercats. Yup.

Oh yeah. I remember all of them. and then some. My three favorite cartoons? Inspector Gadget, Scooby Doo, and The Battle of the Planets.

Moonie :D

Kristie said:

And the sticker books.
thundercats.jpg

and for he-man, I spent like 3 months trying to convince my ma to name the cat Skeletor before she agreed on Sparky

OH. MY. GAWD.

I just saw your post, Kristie. That completely freaked me out.... THUNDERCATS! GAAAAH!

It got too weird for me - all those new animals... it just wasn't the same with Thunderfish or Thundershark or whatever. LOL.

wertsie said:

:lol: I always used to get Madonna and Debbie Gibson mixed up! :shrug:

Wasn't Rick Springfield that guy with the "Jessie's Girl" song?

Oh...Something else...Richmard Marx...I thought "Right Here Waiting" was the best song ever! I just remembered this because there's actually an article about him in People magazine this week.

yeah, I remember waiting anxiously to tape "Right Here Waiting" and that other one.... mind blanked out. I had one of his tapes - I loved him.

People told me I looked like Debbie Gibson when I was in high school - when my hair was just above my shoulders.

I also remember Tiffany very vividly... she went to the same school I attended for Junior High. I had left the year she showed up and all my friends who were still at that school said she was a bit of a snob. Entertainment Weekly did a bit on her going to high school and it was all I could do to stop pointing hysterically at the TV screen and shout, "There's Buffy! There's Angie! There's Flipper!" (yes, Flipper was a nick-name, but Buffy was not. Yes, I went to school with a Buffy.) I could have cared less about Tiffany.

One hit wonder central. And, she never wrote her own songs. Her songs were covers.

LOL, I don't really remember very much that's way dated b/c I was born in 1984 and my parents never listened to any 80's music. The only things I can distincly remember were:

- the Salty (the Psalter Hymnal) records, does anyone else know these? Laura I bet...
- Baby Fae, the baby who had a baboon heart transplant
- I remember the whole Berlin Wall thing, I would ask my mom about it everyday, I never understood how it was possible to have a wall that you couldn't just walk around. It was a big deal to my mom
- I still collect Popples
- jelly shoes
- the space shuttle that exploded
- I used to look at my mom's articles on Prince Harry b/c Princess Di was such a huge thing and Harry and I had the same due date
- Punky Brewster, dunno if that was still 80's, but when I was little, I wanted to be her! I learned new things from her, words like being "grounded" or "fired". I was little and took them literally until Punky taught me that being "fired" is not actually being burned in a campfire.:shrug:

flaming june said:
Remember Men at Work?
Breakdancing?
Neon color clothes

I had a neon ORANGE sweatshirt, neon YELLOW socks, and a neon GREEN belt thingie.... a nice ensemble, if I wasn't forced to wear white bellbottoms to school. :barf:

Do y'all remember the "feathered" hair look? I so desperately wanted feathered hair - a-la Charlie's Angels.

Yup. That and I thought The A-Team and MacGuyver rocked.

Rock my socks - I still watch The A-Team re-runs and I have a bunch of MacGuyver on tape. LOL.

I am such an 80s DORK. :D Weeeee!

I loved the Wedding Singer - I also loved Romy & Michele's High School Reunion:

"OK, so like, we're the only ones here who don't look like we're going to a ho-down." BWAAAHAHAHAH.

"Oh, look.... it's the Madonna Twins."

Moonie :D (who seriously needs to stop.... I have to work in the morning...)

Last edited:
Being born in 1975 here is what I remember and things I had when I was a kid

• That cartoon Kidd Video
  • rainbow leg warmers
  • People used to call me Punky Brewster cuz they thought I looked like her :der:
  • Back to the Future movies
  • Dirty Dancing :heart:
  • sweater dresses
  • the real MTV (it is now taken over by the pod people)
  • the Facts of Life (Jo was my hero)
  • Family Ties
  • The Breakfast Club :heart:
  • Jelly shoes
  • Jelly bracelets
  • Friendship braclets
  • Garbage Pail Kids
  • My Pretty Pony
  • The Care Bears
  • Atari
  • Pac man
  • Live Aid
  • We are the World
  • Socks over the pant leg
  • teased hair...the bigger the better
  • He man
  • Transformers
  • Thundercats (Hooooooooooooooooo)
  • Epcot Center opening
  • Michael Jackson had a desernable nationality
  • Corey Hart
  • Mr Mister
  • Til Tuesday
  • Tiffany
  • Debbie Gibson
  • Poison
  • stirrup pants *cough* LIES *cough*
  • Boooorn in the USAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Oh yeah and some group that had an album about a tree in the desert ;)

Oh yeah and some group that had an album about a tree in the desert

:lmao:

Where they by any chance the same band that had the album about some type of fire that they couldn't forget? :lol:
Wonder what ever happened to those guys :scratch:

Kristie said:

And the sticker books.
thundercats.jpg

:drool: You see, way before Larry, there was Lion-O...

I LOVE this thread! Daisy, I'm a 75 baby too, and I remember all those things you mention. The Garbage Pail Kids made me sick :no: Punky Brewster was my hero!

Oh, and Moonie, I totally wanted feathered hair! And The A-Team and McGuyver were must sees. Remember Miami Vice? My parents wouldn't let me see it!

S'more:

Different Strokes
I was in love with Patrick Duffy
The Challenger :(
Top Gun
Cindy Lauper
The Goonies (I loved that movie!!!)
Gremlins
My Child (cute dolls!)
Barbie
Jem or Gem <------- Barbie type doll (remember the cartoon about her?)
Mon ChiChi
21 Jump Street (In love with Johnny too...)

Ok, I'll stop now
:coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom