Okay I gotta ask... Hands making the 'heart' shape..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he's gonna get even more scared of us! haha

I can just imagin reading emilies next story...
"The day Bono found out what the heart sign actually meant..." :lmao: :heart:

heh, feels good to have tipped off other people finally....

I felt a bit odd constantly falling over in a gigglefit whenever he did it in the DVDs and so on....
I got a lot of :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: ...

now everyone can giggle with me. :laugh:

I SO wish I could see his reaction... whether he turns bright red or just smirks and says "oh damn, the secret's out...." :D :heart: :D

Last edited:
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Fer shame! He did it at the Super Bowl! I bet he doesn't know what it means, though, based on the way he uses it (not in a dirty way). He probably thinks he came up with something cool. :wink:

I hope no one will waste the small precious time with Bono to do something like that :shame: Remember he's a Dad and a husband, and you're a young lady, and it might embarrass him. After that he might not see you the same. I wouldn't risk damaging your relationship with him, think about it. :(

Last edited:
Actually, he'll probably blush and laugh about it.

But as my future plans don't involve me being anywhere near Dublin (Dublin, OH aside) I don't really care! :tongue:

I have to say I agree with SkyBlueDreamer, please don't. :|

Bono means for it to be a :heart: so leave it.

EPandAmerica said:
I have to say I agree with SkyBlueDreamer, please don't. :|

Bono means for it to be a :heart: so leave it.

I agree too, sorry. :reject: It might sound like fun, but please don't. Call me an old prude but there's just something inappropriate and not right about bringing up sexual innuendo to a married man twice your age :uhoh: Wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea and think you're a 'groupie' type or something. I'm sure he's seen his share of those in his time and he stays away from them. Bono really likes Emilie and thinks of her in a sweet way. Don't corrupt the good PLEBA/Bono connection by putting her up to stuff like this :sexywink:

On the other hand if Gavin were to bring it up in a bar late at night he probably would laugh. ;) As long as the media doesn't get ahold of the theory and accuse him of secretly trying to pull off something dirty in concert and on TV, you know how they ragged him for the f word :sigh:

Last edited:
I'm a bit ---> :confused:

As I said before, it would be fun to see/hear about his reaction, but I can also understand your point of view SkyBlueDreamer, EPandAmerica and U2Kitten...

... I would like to hear Emilies oppinion about this, as it will be her that would have to tell him - What do you say Emilie? :confused: :confused: :confused:

That's something to laugh about among friends but I wouldn't be bold enough to say it to any guy I didn't really know, and I'm not even shy. It's a funny running PLEBA joke though!! :laugh: It will always be part of our folklore and mythology now :lol:

For my part since I opened this can of worms to begin with, my only interest in telling him would be so he knows... the same way you tell your friend they're using the wrong word when they're trying to be sophisticated and use another language... to save them from embarrassment. when you think about it that's exactly what he's (unintentionally?) doing, using a "word" from another language without realizing that it means something else.

not in a point-and-laugh method and certainly not meant in any way to humiliate him and not in public.... the last thing I would want to be is disrespectful.

but if it was one of my friends, (or if it was me), I'd want someone to tip me off, you know?

And he's no saint nor stranger to innuendo, look at the cat in Peter and the Wolf. *smirk*

huh :huh: ..... u know what girls??? we 'll see how things will go next time i will see him :yes: i can't promise i will tell him :reject: as it is true that he may not be happy to hear ME saying this to him... i may disappoint him by telling this :sad: so we'll see if i have a good occasion to talk to him about that or not :wink:

I'd rather he not be told if it meant him not making the heart in the future or being self-conscious about it. "If I do this, how many people will think it's for a woman's anatomy or how many people will think I'm giving them my heart?"

wolfeden said:
see, I'm an EMT and had to learn ASL medical terminology...

If you had to learn it as part of medical teminology, I'm guessing you learned the 'medical' word, not slang? This is for the medical word (you need Quicktime):

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/V/W4338.htm

It *is* similar, but not quite the same - and nuances in signing can make a big difference in meaning, so we probably don't need to get so worked up about it. BUT - knowing B - wouldn't surprise me either way if he knew what his gesture resembled ;)

Are we positive thats what it means? Because if it does, chances are, someoe already told him.

bonosloveslave said:

If you had to learn it as part of medical teminology, I'm guessing you learned the 'medical' word, not slang? This is for the medical word (you need Quicktime):

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/V/W4338.htm

It *is* similar, but not quite the same - and nuances in signing can make a big difference in meaning, so we probably don't need to get so worked up about it. BUT - knowing B - wouldn't surprise me either way if he knew what his gesture resembled ;)

*nods* That's similar to how I learned it but I also worked standby EMS at an arts festival, which featured a lot of "slam poets" and had an ASL interpreter, and every time that word or reference came up, that's the sign the interpreter made...

the way B does it, it's not the exact same but it's like hearing someone say "pussy....cat" you know, your mind hears a different implication.

Certainly nothing to get worked up about, no.
*chuckles*

swandiver said:
I'd rather he not be told if it meant him not making the heart in the future or being self-conscious about it. "If I do this, how many people will think it's for a woman's anatomy or how many people will think I'm giving them my heart?"

Eh... Everyone knows what he means when he does it so I don't see a trouble there...

it's more along the lines of other hand signs having different meanings in different countries..
for instance the 'thumbs up' and the 'ok' sign have quite different meanings elsewhere, very rude ones at that..

even if he did know, I doubt he'd stop doing it.

wolfeden said:
And he's no saint nor stranger to innuendo, look at the cat in Peter and the Wolf. *smirk*

No, of course not. That's why I said 'if Gavin told it to him late at night in a bar he'd laugh'- but if anyone is going to tell him, I don't think he'd want to hear something like that from Emilie any more than he would from Jordan or Eve. Maybe 'uncomfortable situation' is the word I've been looking for.

But as some of you said, he might already know, or he might have read the forum and found out :yikes:

Originallyposted by VampiraIt will always be part of our folklore and mythology now

Yes it will and that is one of the good things about having a place like this to share our U2-related stuff with others who care! (]but maybe not with Bono);)

Originally posted by swandiver

Awww. I agree. :cute: :yes:

He might not make it ever again anyway since he might consider it an "Elevation" thing and he always has to come up with new ideas. But if he does, I will only see it in the sweetest way :)

makeheart.gif

Bono :heart:

Emilie :hug:

Last edited:
I apologize if I spoiled the fun you were having in this thread. :( I am mostly a lurker but I read this forum a lot and I felt strongly enough about this to feel something needed to be said. I love the stories of miss-U2 meeting the band and I couldn't image how awkward it would be to have her say this to Bono! As long as this discussion stays right here and none of you go to Dublin and say this to the band it is all in good fun.

In my opinion it is sad to see this turned into something controversial. I truly feel he is meaning to give us his heart by making that sign. Think about it, the heart was the symbol of the Elevation Tour, the heart ramp and the heart suitcase! That's why he did it!:)

In my opinion it is sad to see this turned into something controversial. I truly feel he is meaning to give us his heart by making that sign. Think about it, the heart was the symbol of the Elevation Tour, the heart ramp and the heart suitcase! That's why he did it!

well said and I second that,, even if Bono does know which I somehow think Gavin might have told him by now or someone.

Bono's version is a heart take it for what Bono meant it to be..

And I agree it's not proper for Emilie to bring it up with him.. I somehow don't think Bono would respect that ..

I don't think he'd have a sour reaction to this. But if anyone is going to tell him, I'm sure there's a tasteful way to do it.

I'm sure he's heard far worse from fans.

SkyBlueDreamer said:

In my opinion it is sad to see this turned into something controversial. I truly feel he is meaning to give us his heart by making that sign. Think about it, the heart was the symbol of the Elevation Tour, the heart ramp and the heart suitcase! That's why he did it!:)

I agree 100%! And, agree that it's bad idea to tell Bono that
his hand motion may be seen as a naughty gesture.

Keocmb said:
I don't think he'd have a sour reaction to this. But if anyone is going to tell him, I'm sure there's a tasteful way to do it.

Yes :yes:

No one was gonna go and see bono and just say "hey that hand sign u do may be seen as a naughty gesture"
1. That is not what we are saying and 2. How bad would that sound?... :eyebrow:

Its something that was just funny cos it means something different in sign language to what Bono actually means...

We all know bono just means :heart: and love! I dont know why some of you are telling us as if we don't know :scratch: The sign may have double meaning in a different language but it only means one thing from Bono to us - HEART! :wink:

:heart: :love: :bono:

Huh? I don't see how there is an "tasteful" way to talk about "woman's anatomy" :eyebrow: What would someone do, be like a third grader and say "down there" or "girl's private area?" Who would want to say that to Bono if they had a chance to meet him? As for those of you giggling for the thrill of hiis 'reaction', Bono is a classy guy and if any girl fan crossed the line of decent discussion with him he'd likely just look away, remain stunned and silent for a few seconds, then say "Well I really have to be going now..." Then who would have the red face and be kicking themselves? If anybody honestly thinks this is funny I suggest they fly to Dublin and ask him in person and not put it off on miss-U2.

I also doubt the sign language thing is a perfect heart shape like he makes. Who would do that to deaf people? :confused:

Last edited:
Bono IS Love - all Heart and Soul.

:bono: :heart:

Remember, Bono means Good. In his truest essence, there is only Good in Bono. :yes:

He is a perfect manifestation of Universal Love, complete in his perceived imperfections.

We are BLESSED to have him in our lives!:up:

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR JUST BEING YOU!:heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom