Ok, Bono question:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youvedonewhat

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Greetings :wave:

I've just been reading the earlier thread Bono is not sexy (pfft!). BTW, good thread e edge, when Nurse Chrissi mentioned the fact that we span a very large age group. So I got to thinking that we all must see him in different ways depending on age. So, I'm wondering how we all see him, (apart from the usual good looks, voice etc). I mean, me personally, I find him very attractive for his age (Probably because I'm of his generation) and therefore must note that by the time many blokes reach his age they can be a little.... er....er... shall we say less then attractive. (Don't yell here cos I know that there's loadsa older blokes out there who are delicious as well but lets face it, not as many as blokes who are younger).

So, from my point of view: Bono = sexy, a good husband and father, a caring man.

But.....

I'd really like to know how you younger girls see him? I mean, are you attracted to him because he's a lovely father figure, someone who you can respect and admire? Someone who's out there, moving with the times and not sitting back and allowing himself to slide into ancientness, not accepting his age with a scowl but keeping up with everything that's new and interesting - like all these fantastic 'new' bands like the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon etc.

So my question is simple - is it his personality or his obvious love for his family or the fact that he seems to be a man you could trust and be at ease with, that attracts you to him.

Actually, 'thinks' I think B would make an excellent 'councilor'. I could imagine him sitting down with someone and talking them through their problems..hmmmmm..lol

Yeah, I'm borin' the arse off y' now, ain't I?

Anyways, I just thought I'd ask. ;)

I'm 31 now. I was 17 when I first fell in love with Bono. I saw in him then what I see in him now. A beautiful, sexy man. An amazing singer. A kind, generous heart. A devoted husband and father. Bono is someone I can drool over and yet still respect as a human being. I deeply admire him for what he has accomplished, and yet I would stand in line for hours just to hear him read the phone book.

So yeah, pretty much the whole package is what attracts me. :bono: :heart:

Fuck no, excellent question. I happened to be talking about something similar with a similarly aged friend just last weekend. We both got into U2 around 81, and we're 2 of the VERY few people I now know who are still fanatical about music. and i think that word "fanatical" is the key. I don't mean it negatively either. Bono still shows that he has a keen, enquiring interest in everything he does. He talks about music like a fan, the interviews where he talks about his faith in depth, the books, the authors he talks about at length, the philosophers he quotes (and more importantly, understands). Not forgetting the political work he does. He's still madly interested in everything. I think this is the key to staying young. Maybe for some people, it's hard to hold onto the stuff they loved when they were younger, once career, family, kids etc takes up so much of their time.

I think this is why I will always love Bono, and U2. They madly LOVE what they do, and they believe in it 100%. Course it helps a bit that Bono is not too shabby looking but this is not always true (I thought during Pop they were collectively the worst looking band I'd seen) :wink:

What do I know anyway? In 1981 they looked like they all dressed in the dark anyway, Edge's bloody cardigans!:eyebrow:

well i'm 15 and i am really a larry girl :drool: BUT i think bono is attractive not only for his good looks :drool: but also his charm. I admire him for what he has accomplished for humanity and think he is a caring and thoughtful guy, no matter what his age is :heart: :)

I'm 15 now and just like Hay I'm a Larry-girl :combust: but I think Bono is also really attractive. :drool:
This because he's a amazing singer, a caring and kind man/ father and because of what he reached with his political work.
And of course his good looks. :drool:

I'll always love Bono, no matter what his age is. :bono: :heart:

As I've said in the past, I LIKE U2 and I LIKE Bono. I admire the things he does for people and enjoy the music. I reserve the word LOVE for more important people and things in my life.

hmmm interesting question... I like your distinction between LIKE and LOVE u2granny. :) Not knowing the man personally, I have to say I am a little infatuated :drool: with the the "persona" of Bono and greatly admire the humanitarian works of Paul Hewson.

I heard Bono's voice long before I saw what he looked like and I fell "in love" with him right there and then. Something about his voice and the passion in his delivery carried me away to another place. And that's pretty sexy I reckon!

Having said all that he doesn't look half bad at the moment does he! :wink:

Not one of the younger fans here :wink: I'm the mother of an adult U2 fan, ahem .... but Bono is a mind-boggler for me. He's intelligent, he speaks well, he has an obvious true caring for other people, but he's a mystery to me. You know -- one minute you see him speaking passionately and intelligently about the state of the world, the next minute you see him strutting around a stage. Is he a good looking man? You bet. Was he a better looking man during the JT era, most likely. But most of us were. :wink: But he sure has aged well ... and I'll tell you the photo of him putting his socks on in the car prior to the meet and greet was something that totally warmed my heart. He's a human, approachable "star."

I'm 20, first saw Bono when I was 8 (yes, true story). My mom gave me AB and I just blurted out, omg, he's so hot. It's been love ever since.
And I think loving U2 and the music so much helped. Plus when I first met him he was just oozing charisma and I couldn't resist.

I def liked him on looks first, so even when he's being a tool (hanging out with Beyonce and such) I still think he's a hottie lol:drool:

I'm 35 and have been Bono obsessed since age 13. I honestly first loved the music, (War) and the first pic I saw (War interior cover) wasn't the best. But then I saw magazine pics, videos, and Red Rocks! :love: He was just so cute, (Red Rocks) and then he got hot (Live Aid) and way hot (JT and AB) Even though I loved him first for his looks and his voice, I admired him even more for keeping the same wife, and not traded her in for a new supermodel every other year like Rod Stewart and some others (I hate that!) That shows a lot about him as a person, and his character. I also admire his caring about the world's poor. He is a beautiful looking man with a beautiful voice and a beautiful heart. It doesn't get any better than that.

My story is pretty much what Kitten wrote. I'm 38 and discovered U2 at 14 or 15 and was immediately drawn to Bono. I thought he was the sexiest thing I had ever seen. I loved the music too but there was just something extra special about Bono.

What makes him even sexier to me now is the fact that he's been with the same woman for so long and is such a devoted dad. A man of conviction with a few lines on his face is so much more appealing to me than a youth obsessed mimbo who needs an ever younger blond on his arm all the time.

I obviously don't "love" him the way I love my own husband but I am hugely infatuated and have an extremely deep admiration for the man.

I guess I am fascinated by Bono as I see him on stage, on TV, and as others describe him who have met him. You hear other celebrities ie Oprah talking about him being the real deal--a real human being. Bono and U2's music bring a lot of joy to my life daily. Bono seems to be a true, caring human being, a good husband & father. We could all learn a lesson from him. As far as love--I can say I love him. There are lots of ways to love.

I'm 15 and I love Bono for everything he is. I love that he's a real person and a good person at that- I'd snog his face off any day of the week but I'd also love having a father like him or a best friend. There aren't many people I can say that about.

swandiver said:
Not one of the younger fans here :wink: I'm the mother of an adult U2 fan, ahem .... but Bono is a mind-boggler for me. He's intelligent, he speaks well, he has an obvious true caring for other people, but he's a mystery to me. You know -- one minute you see him speaking passionately and intelligently about the state of the world, the next minute you see him strutting around a stage. Is he a good looking man? You bet. Was he a better looking man during the JT era, most likely. But most of us were. :wink: But he sure has aged well ... and I'll tell you the photo of him putting his socks on in the car prior to the meet and greet was something that totally warmed my heart. He's a human, approachable "star."

:cute: I'd love to see that picture if anyone has it handy!

I'm in the same category as U2Kitten and Bono's American wife!

I too watched RedRocks back in '83 on the TV show here in Britain called 'The Tube' and there was a definite stirring going on! I was 15 at the time, and my god! He really did it for me in a big way! :ohmy: :drool: I just thought, wow - what a body he has! :censored: Couldn't take my eyes off him!

Then, along came Live Aid and well!: The tight leather trousers!!
The moves, the sweat, the EVERYTHING!!!! :eek: :heart:

I've been crazy for him all these years!! :love: :combust:

Lauryl - You can find that pic in the Band Meetings where ruff's story is told! He's so cute too! Yes, i'd also snog his face off any day of the week also! And you're the same age as i was back then? Wow! He is such a hot man, eh??? :yes: :drool:

I fell in love with U2 music when I was 12. Music was a huge part of my life growing up and my brother brought home a tape of U2 and the rest is history. But I didn't actually see what any of the guys looked like till I was in high school. I thought Bono was very, very attractive right away. I've had a bit of a crush ever since.

But I think being that I'm almost 30 now and I'm married, its evolved into more of a respecting what he does and who he is with his family type of thing. I have my own "B" in my life who is just as amazing, so I know what its like to be Ali (without the $ though. ;) ) I still find him very attractive, but in much the same way my B looks extra attractive when he is playing with our kids or helping someone out.

But even my B admits that Bono is hot. LOL

Bono is hot and he always will be to me. I'm 31 married three kids and I love all of them really. I have a serious thing for Irish accents. I started sketching the band when I was 13 and fell in love with each of them. Larry has a great jawline. All of them hot in their own way. They back it up with their sincerity. If they'd become ***holes along the way I wouldn't still be so attracted to them.:heart:

In the 80s I didn't think Bono was hot :reject: He was very intense and I preferred Edge's quiet sexiness. Plus I think my tastes back then (teenager) were different than they are now.

During the 90s I didn't follow the band but what I did see of Bono scared me a little. He was such a bad boy!! He seemed dangerous. I didn't like that because I was dealing with my own bad boy. :no:

But in the late 90s when I finally got my life together I started paying closer attention to the band and the music and now, thanks to the internet, found a lot of information about them!!!

Bono- married with children?? Family man? Humanitarian? He's a good guy?? Wow!! :cute:

After that I couldn't get enough of him! He was beautiful inside and out! He became so incredibly attractive to me that he literally causes me to gasp at times just by looking at him.

The more I know about him, the more attractive he becomes. Even when he looks **cough** a little tired, he remains a stunningly gorgeous man.

So in short (finally!:wink: ) Its the entire pkg. I have to say that his personality, charisma, and overall great guy qualities are what caught me and his beauty is an added bonus!

sweetie said:
During the 90s I didn't follow the band but what I did see of Bono scared me a little. He was such a bad boy!! He seemed dangerous. I didn't like that because I was dealing with my own bad boy. :no [/B]

Oh, God, that's the part of him I like best. In your face, knowing he is causing trouble and knowing he is going to get away with it. Good boy, bad boy, what an exquisite combination!!!

susanp6 said:
I'm in the same category as U2Kitten and Bono's American wife!

So am I, although I only recently became "obsessed" by Bono, whom I've been admiring since I was eleven.
I was deeply influenced by a cousin with whom I used to spend my afternoons (pretending we were studding :shifty:) who had an adventure that girls of my age couldn't afford: he attended a Summer Festival in August 1982. New Order were expected to perform in one of the nights, but they cancelled (and I’m so glad for it) and instead U2 showed up! He came home with the Boy Vinyl.
I used to be a very “intellectual” kind of girl and never really had many obsessions (except for Simon Le Bon and John Taylor :reject: – I was already a fan of Duran Duran by then but I got over it a few yet later!) of this kind which I didn’t think were dignifying for a strong minded girl such as myself.
I don’t really understand how I became this obsessed any way. I only realised it when I recently felt like coming here all the time.
I remember being truly mad when in August 2002 I found out that I had been in vacation in the same time and place where U2 were filming the video for the song Electrical Storm (I didn’t know they lived there too, back then), and I had missed it :rant: . I was mad and deeply depressed cause I realised how unhappy I was with the “friends” I had – we had nothing in common, except our ways crossed somehow. They didn’t like U2 (if they did and we talked about it, we certainly would have met the band). They barely knew who they were and whenever I was with them U2 weren’t even a topic. Maybe it started then, I don't know.
I’m 33 and my passion for U2's music has been somehow a “private” thing, because I don’t really share this with anyone. :sigh:

Last edited:
miss becky said:
I'm 31 now. I was 17 when I first fell in love with Bono. I saw in him then what I see in him now. A beautiful, sexy man. An amazing singer. A kind, generous heart. A devoted husband and father. Bono is someone I can drool over and yet still respect as a human being. I deeply admire him for what he has accomplished, and yet I would stand in line for hours just to hear him read the phone book.

So yeah, pretty much the whole package is what attracts me. :bono: :heart:
MY GOD WOMAN!!! Are you in my head?!?!?!? That is the exact answer I would have given if I'd gotten here before you (except I was 13 when I fell for him). :lol:

Perfect summation of how I feel about our beautiful B!! :bono: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm of the band's generation, and I've been a fan since 1983, when I saw Red Rocks on MTV. It blew me away, I couldn't get over how charismatic and sensual the singer was. He's not a "cute" rock star in the conventional sense of the word, but he oozes sex appeal, especially during the ZooTV/AB era. I love his kind heart, the fact that he's a damn good husband and father in a business where people change mates every year, the guy's just a gem of a person.

Ok - I'm a 44 year old mom of two beautiful boys - I first laid my eyes on Bono in 1981 when they played at a local bar! Can't explain it but haven't taken my eyes off him since! Such good looks and charm! It's like the first guy you have a crush on and you can't breath when you see him --- it's all physical --- I know I could list all his wonderful qualities making him the great man he is but, shallow as it is, it's a physical thing! :wink:
838cb5ae.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now 25 and I "fell in love" with Bono when I was 12. It was during the Achtung Baby era. For me, it's all in the eyes... the first time I was his bright blue eyes, I was swept away.

I just think he's a brillant man with a brillant voice.

I'm 33 and have been a fan since about 1985. I've always been into Edge, but Bono's charisma and charm haven't gotten past me:wink: He's got an amazing aura and presense about him and It's something that has effect on a lot of woman! (I'm sure he's well aware of that!) I admire him for the person he is, faults and all. It takes a special kind of person to be "Bono" and he does it well!

Heh, well, while I certainly have my favorite era as far as Bono's looks go, the moment I started finding him attractive was when I saw the "When The Stars Go Blue" video, and that was in 2002, when he was 42 (well, he might've been 41 in that video, depending on when that Corrs concert was filmed), and I was 17. There was just something about the way he was acting in that video-he was just so charismatic, and I liked that. And he looked great in the video, too. And his accent certainly didn't hurt-when you're a girl who's lived in the middle of the U.S. her entire life, who's never traveled outside of her country, who's lived in towns whose foreign population isn't very varied, hearing an Irish accent is fascinating.

But I also have a crush on him because he's the type of guy I generally find attractive-he's a writer, he plays music (and great music, at that), he's insanely intelligent, he seems like a genuinely nice guy overall, and I do definitely find his devotion to his family sweet, too-it's seriously really, really refreshing to find a celebrity marriage that's still going 20+ years later. I really admire him for that. And he's got a good sense of humor, too, which is always a plus with me :D.

His age has just never really entered my mind on a regular basis-when I see him, that's not the first thing I think of. All I see when he's on screen is a really cool, really good-looking guy that never fails to amaze me with what he says and does. That's how it's been for almost three years now, and nothing's changed a bit in that entire time.

Angela

swandiver said:

Hi, y'all. I'm Swandiver's eldest sister; she and I experienced our first U2 show together in 2001, after listening to them for years, and I agree with what she said. (I'm probably the oldest PLEBAN there is--I will celebrate my 59th birthday by going to the May 9 show in Chicago.) Just because I'm "old" doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a fine-looking man (oh, lawsy, is the heat on??) for his looks, his personality, his fire and dedication, and everything else about him--I have a special fondness for the JT-era Bono. I feel no different "inside" than I did when I was 20--just a bit calmer and a bit more centered. Old chicks still rock; they just rock slower! :dance: So if you see an old girl dancing, singing, laughing, and crying at the United Center, it may be me!
:love:

Back
Top Bottom