Oh My God, Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am 95% sure that the Explorer Edge played in the Beautiful
Day video does not have the dent/gouge in it. I'd post a screen
cap of it from the video, but my computer hates me today and isn't
letting me capture anything. It, and the one in the auction
catalogue, look the same. So, hopefully this means he
isn't getting rid of THE Explorer since it is dented.
:pray:

this is from @U2.com.......

"From the auction site:
TITLE EDGE STAGE PLAYED GIBSON EXPLORER
DESCRIPTION Notes Limited Edition Gibson Explorer, serial number 00230010, mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard, 500T and 496R ceramic humbucking pickups, gold hardware, natural finish, with black leather Allans Music guitar strap, an extra brown leather Levy’s guitar strap, and 10 packages of replacement strings.

Gibson serial numbers:
YDDDYPPP
YY is the production year 1 and 5 number
DDD is the day of the year 2-4 numbers
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank 6-8 numbers

And: the serial number is 00230010. Enter it at this Gibson dating site:
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx
to verify that the above commenter is correct and the donated guitar was made in 2000 (in Bozeman Montana)."

and I totally agree with the next person's post on that site...

"Well, now my heart can start beating again"

me too....I had an 11 hour day at work on Thursday and this was all I could think about! :reject: :sad:

The one being sold was made in 2000? That's a relief! I was really sad when I heard that he was going to sell his favorite guitar and was hoping it was some kind of duplicate or backup. I can't imagine that he would plart with one of the first guitars he ever got. That makes me cringe! :eek:

update from atu2.com

its a copy folks! not real thing...

see article below:

UPDATE: OMG! HE'S GIVING AWAY THE EXPLORER -- NOT!
April 25, 2008
posted by: m2

Update: Although the official news release clearly states this guitar
is Edge's "early stage played 1976 Gibson Explorer Guitar," our good
friend Beth did some research and discovered it's actually a copy made
in 2000, not the original. Here's the proof.

http://www.atu2blog .com/2008/ 04/23/update- on-icons- of-music- auction/# comment-42004

You don't think the auction organizers are fibbing, do you?

U2Fanatic4ever said:
update from atu2.com

its a copy folks! not real thing...

see article below:

UPDATE: OMG! HE'S GIVING AWAY THE EXPLORER -- NOT!
April 25, 2008
posted by: m2

Update: Although the official news release clearly states this guitar
is Edge's "early stage played 1976 Gibson Explorer Guitar," our good
friend Beth did some research and discovered it's actually a copy made
in 2000, not the original. Here's the proof.

http://www.atu2blog .com/2008/ 04/23/update- on-icons- of-music- auction/# comment-42004

You don't think the auction organizers are fibbing, do you?

I already posted that :flirt:

vertpomme said:
I am 95% sure that the Explorer Edge played in the Beautiful
Day video does not have the dent/gouge in it. I'd post a screen
cap of it from the video, but my computer hates me today and isn't
letting me capture anything. It, and the one in the auction
catalogue, look the same. So, hopefully this means he
isn't getting rid of THE Explorer since it is dented.
:pray:

I have a 1976 Ltd Ed Explorer of my own and it's first two numbers are 00.

So the one being auctioned is most certainly a 1976 but more than likely not his original 1976 that he bought in NY in 1978.

He broke the original explorer, I read an article once saying the neck was broken thus he NEEDED to buy a replacement.

Ill try and fish it out from where ever I read it...

MooMoo! said:
He broke the original explorer, I read an article once saying the neck was broken thus he NEEDED to buy a replacement.

Ill try and fish it out from where ever I read it...

I never heard that. I hope it's not true. I read an interview with him, I think somewhere during Vertigo tour, where he spoke about the guitar and how he still uses it.

And no, I don't think it's the original.

Remember when we had the same discussion last year about the guitars they were giving to the auction and in the end it turned out that those were backup guitars. I really do NOT believe Edge would give away THIS explorer.

the neck was in repair during Popmart, which is why you'll never see a photo of Cowboy Edge with the Explorer. Other than that, I've never heard of any reasons for him to buy a duplicate.

It's not the original. There's not a chance in hell he would ever part with that guitar.

arw9797 said:
the neck was in repair during Popmart, which is why you'll never see a photo of Cowboy Edge with the Explorer. Other than that, I've never heard of any reasons for him to buy a duplicate.

It's not the original. There's not a chance in hell he would ever part with that guitar.
That must have been it. Still trying to find where I read it... ¬_¬

I believe they have a frailer neck like SG's tend to have. At least thats what years of reading guitar mag's taught me. :hmm:

Edgette said:
Okay...looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it's the ORIGINAL Explorer. There's no dent in it. And the hardware doesn't look gold.

large-406f.jpg

large-406b.jpg

That is the same guitar. Look about 2 inches from the top back corner....there is a lil nick in the body on both pics!

I cant beleive he is donating this peice of u2 history. Its much more than a guitar....its a peice of te edge and an icon. Methinks he will buy it back.

The guitar in the photo IS the guitar he donated (you can also see they have the same color variation on the fretboard), however that's not saying it's his original.

at least that's the way it looks to me :reject:

Does anyone KNOW for sure that the guitar he's holding in that pic is or isn't his original? :hmm:

Last edited:
The information from @u2.com stating that it is a 2000 Explorer is 100% wrong.

The guitar being auctioned IS a 1976 Gibson Ltd. Edition Explorer. I know this as I own one - and the serial numbers on mine start with 00.

The 1976 Gibson's start with serial number: 00 and then six other numbers.

Gibson Serial Numbers, 1975-1977.
All models, decal, 2 digit prefix followed by 6 digits. The decal can also states the model name/number.
Prefix Year
------ ----
99 1975
00 1976
06 1977

As I stated, 1976 Gibson serial number with "00" prefix.

This information can be found near the bottom of the page at:
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

The first two numbers are for 1976. The second three numbers are for the day of the calendar. Mine being made on the 232nd day of the calendar year: August 20th. the last three numbers are note which factory (Kalamazoo or Nashville) and what number guitar made that day. 000-499 being made in Kalamazoo and 500-999 being made in Nashville.

Mine is number 00 232 623. [1976 made Aug 20th, in Nashville, TN. 23rd guitar made]

THE EDGE's to be auctions Explorer is number: 00 230 010 = 1976 vintage. Made on the 2030th day of the calendar year (August 18th) and it was the 10th instrument made at the Kalamazoo, MI factory that day.

That said, The Edge HAS/HAD MORE THAN ONE 1976 Gibson Ltd Ed. Explorer.

He has the original that was bought in 1978 from Stuyvesant Music Inc. (248.40 including tax) [seeon on page 74 of U2 by U2]

This from the article about the auction, that was on Harmony Central:

Amongst the donations from the Edge is his early stage played 1976 Gibson Explorer Guitar. Edge used this guitar in many stage performances since Joshua Tree as well as U2's Music Video for "Beautiful Day" (est. $80,000 and up), his silver adjustable U2 block rings featured on the cover of Atchung Baby (est. $2,000/4,000), a blue Gibson Les Paul electric guitar used by Edge in many studio recordings(est. $20,000/40,000) and his personally worn custom designed Converse shoes (est. $800/1,200) along with an assortment of property donated by his fellow band members to Music Rising.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2008/Music-Rising-Icons-Of-Music-Auction-II.html

If the guitar was being used from The Joshua Tree forward, it isn't his original Explorer bought in 1978 in NY.

In most cases, the backups are exact model and often the same finish and vintage. Such as this 2nd Explorer that is being auctioned.

In other cases, the vintage me be a year or so different and the finish might be different. The Edge has backups for every guitar. He has a 1965 pelham blue Gibson SG as the backup for the 1966 heritage cherry SG. I saw Dallas playing a black and white Rickenbacker 330 12 string before the first Glendale AZ show - this guitar being a backup for either the mapleglo Rickenbacker that stays in E-Flat for Mysterious Ways or it's the backup to the fireglo Ric 330 12-string tuned to E/standard tuning that The Edge used to play "Sometimes You Can't Make It...".

Last edited:
iloveedge said:

Why "OMG". He's auctioning A 1976 Gibson Explorer, not THE 1976 Gibson Explorer. He's more than one of these.

Just like many balked at his auctioning his white (faded to cream) 1975 Les Paul last year, he's more than one white Les Paul.

Plus, no matter what The Edge plays... he still sounds like The Edge, so worry not lil Edgelings - all is okay.

Edge_Orchestra said:

Why "OMG". He's auctioning A 1976 Gibson Explorer, not THE 1976 Gibson Explorer. He's more than one of these.

Just like many balked at his auctioning his white (faded to cream) 1975 Les Paul last year, he's more than one white Les Paul.

Plus, no matter what The Edge plays... he still sounds like The Edge, so worry not lil Edgelings - all is okay.

Ooh... hehe my bad. :lol:

REST YOUR SOULS LIL EDGELINGS... IT'S # 3:

Here's the answer from Julienne's regarding WHICH Explorer:

Dear Jeffrey,

We appreciate the dedication and interest in the U2 community regarding the Edge’s items in the upcoming Music Rising Icons of Music II auction.

As fans of U2 know the Edge has a large collection of instruments, including back up instruments. This particular Explorer is his #3 back up. Meaning, the Edge has at least two other of this model of guitar and used those two guitars with greater frequency than this particular guitar. That said here is what the Edge told us of this guitar:

“Dallas found this one in Cincinnati and it became one of the backup instruments for my main 1976 reissue Explorer during the 1987 Joshua Tree world tour and many U2 tours since.”

Regarding confusion over the serial number, Gibson serial numbers pre-1977 serial numbers varied greatly. Many strategies were employed before the development of the system employed by Gibson today.

From 1975-1977 some experimental serial numbers were used. Please refer Blue Book of Electric Guitars Sixth Edition Gibson Serialization available in pdf form on the Gibson website. Where you can find the following information on page 4:

“During the period from 1975-1977 Gibson used a transfer that had eight digit numbers, the first two indicate the year, 99=1975, 00=1976 and 06=1977, the following six digits are in the 100000 to 200000 range. MADE IN USA were also included on the transfer and some models had LIMITED EDITION also applied. A few bolt on neck instruments had a date ink stamped on the heel area.

In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.”

You can see why many would contend that this guitar’s serial number indicates that it was made in the year 2000. The idiosyncrasies of the serial numbers can cause confusion that we hope to have cleared up.

Thank you - and happy bidding!

Back
Top Bottom