Oakies, simple question of taste:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i have heard the album,but as i don't get my copy(cd,dvd,book) til christmas,i can't judge the dvd!
But the album rocks,definately their best,well in my opinion anyway.
Top five albums now go like this:
1.How to dismantle an atomic bomb
2.Achtung baby
3.Pop
4.All that you can't leave behind
5.Boy

I hate myself for ordering it from Amazon.com because now I have to wait for the f:censored:g mail to come. I heard some songs from it on the interview the other night and they knocked my socks off. I already know I love it to pieces but I don't know how it compares with the other albums, I'll have to listen to it a few times to know.

I love the new album! I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with ATYCLB. Not so with HTDAAB. I did not listen to any of the new songs until I actually bought the CD, so my anticipation level was very high.

So far City of Blinding Lights is my favorite song. But I also really like Crumbs From Your Table and Fast Cars.

I love it - The album is now imprinted on my brain
I think with any U2 album it takes around a week or two to really comprehend and enjoy the music --- it is very rare to have them make an album that is instantly easy to like/understand but this is close. Still songs that I wasn't exactly blown away with at first are starting to sound more like favorites
I also LOVE fast cars and mercy

I have changed my vote- after driving two hours up and two hours back somewhere today listening to nothing but HTDAAB, I now love it. It has grown on me like a new shoe that needed to be broken in. I now admit I was a bit disappointed at first. Not anymore:) I especially love Original of the Species, One Step Closer to Knowing, as well as Vertigo, COBL and ABOY.

Faves so far are..in random order: City of Blinding lights, Vertigo,
Fast Cars, Love Peace or Else, Sometimes you can't make it, Step closer to knowing, and I just listened to A man and a Woman *more carefully* and I LOVE IT!....I havent seen the DVD yet will do so later today..

I must be insane. I got a CD from Amazon.com that simply wouldn't record on my RealPlayer. So what did I do? Go to the store and get another one! Now I'm listening to this one! It sounds *great*.

I love ABOY it rocks and MAAW is lovely. MD is gorgeous and so is COBL. It keeps growing on me with each listen, the way a U2 album normally does! As i read someone say on one of the boards, FAST CARS has a wonderfully spanishy feel to it, cool! The only song on it i can't get into is OSC. It seems so repetitive in an annoying way, sorry if anyone loves it!

Susan, I feel the same way. OSC is my least favorite song on the album. I think the lyric is too clunky.

I have very mixed feelings about the new album--

I think the order of the tracks is just all wrong. I know from the sundry magazine articles I've been reading lately that there was some band disagreement about what the order should be; I don't know if they went with Bono's or Edge's version, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels choppy.

As for the songs, though, I think most of them are quite catchy and/or beautiful. "Vertigo" is probably my least favorite track on the album. "Love and Peace or Else" has a fantastic baseline -- I think one of the reasons I like this album so much is because The Edge & Adam grew their musical balls to match Bono's lyrics and vocals (to put it as vulgarly as I possibly can). Adam hasn't written such asskicking baselines since "New Year's Day."

Lyrically, I think HTDAAB is very sophisticated, very mature. It's great to look at in comparison with U2's earlier work and their changing perspective, especially in regards to Bono's love songs--refer especially to "A Man and a Woman" with that comment.

In some respects, this might be their best album--and by that, I mean the music itself is more intricate. But I don't think it's as innovative as Zooropa or as moving as Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. I'd probably place it 4th (in a tie with War), after those 3 albums right now.....perhaps my opinion will change upon further listening. Or, maybe I'll burn myself a copy changing the order of the tracks and it'll become my favorite.

U2Kitten said:
I don't have mercy or fast cars, which version is that on?

Fast Cars is on the Collector's Edition. Mercy is not available on any version that I know of. I just found it online, however I see that we are not allowed to post URLs on the forum. I found the site though in Dreamchaser's sig, from Where the Album Has a Name, if that helps.

Hi youvedonewhat,how you been?Haven't talked with you in a long time,miss ya.I love the new album,Bono sounds so good on it.I like Miracle Drug,love the guitar on it,love City Of Blinding Lights.Love how Crumbs ends,it's so cool.Love Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own,love the line "you're the reason I sing,you're the reason why the opera is in me"Bono sounds great.I also love A Man and A Woman.

I got my HTDAAB cd/dvd set in the mail yesterday. OMG! It is great! Every song is so good....and Bono's voice sounds better than ever in my opinion. The Edge is amazing, Larry's drums are as always wonderful, and I am so glad to hear and see Adam enjoying himself. I have to say that my least favorite song has to be Vertigo...I'm just not nuts about the song. Of course it did take me 4 years to actually listen and like Beautiful Day. I guess it takes me a while to warm up to singles. :eyebrow:

I love it, I think it is my favourite U2 album now. The more I listen to it the more I find in the music, and I really think they have done an amazing job on this album.

Sometimes you cant make it on your own
miracle drug
original of the species
city of bliniding lights

:heart: Some of the best songs ever written in my opinion ^

And how catchy is fast cars! All I want in your face in a locket your picture in my pocket :up:

Back
Top Bottom