New Video - The Saints Are Coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2wedge said:
Now I thought I was pretty familiar with the recovery effort, but is that all real footage? Those parachute drops at the end are pretty impressive...

Nope, unfortunately. My uncle worked there doing security with Blackwater and there was/is lots of helicopter activity, but not right away and not dropping supplies like that.

I like the song. I haven't seen the football game performance, so this was my first listen. I'm not really into music videos, so it seemed OK to me.

u2wedge said:

actually I just watched it again and at the end it says 'not as seen on tv' but I can't tell if that's documentary footage or an editorial criticism of the recovery effort...

if its a documentary its U2...if its editorial critisicm its green day...personally i don't like it

Great video...I just hope it has some variety throughout. It should since they're also using the live footage. Hopefully they show Larry and Adam a lot more than they were shown live. :yes:

Heck yes I'm now an Acrobat...<goes and listens to song now>

Quote:
Originally posted by u2wedge
Now I thought I was pretty familiar with the recovery effort, but is that all real footage? Those parachute drops at the end are pretty impressive...

nurse chrissi said:

it's what should have happened

but didn't :|

nice ending

I've been wondering the same, i.e. if that's what really happened with the stealth fighter planes etc. bringing aid to the people of New Orleans? Coz the recovery effort of the city wasn't widely reported here in Finland. :reject:

I personally love the song and found the video very moving!

I have just watched the whole video and I have to say I am confused about all the footage shown. Is this real or not? There is a lot of criticism over at You Tube about these scenes because they seem to be glorifying the help efforts by the US government. Is the video just documenting or is it real criticism. I think the message is not clear enough and might cause some controversy. Personally I think they should have just shown footage of the band recording and performing live and some scenes from the floods, but the rest is a little wierd.
Apart from that I like the song, I did not like it much when I first heard it, but it's definitly growing on me now.

the footage is fake, it's criticism on Bush that the american government didn't act like they should have... wich is shown, and the planes and stuff are actually the same used by the US army in Iraq

honestly i'm let down...the last thing i wanted from U2 was to see bush bashing....im placing my anger on billie joe...this is def a green day video

But don't you think if U2 hadn't liked the idea and didn't want to use it, they wouldn't have agreed to it?

Maybe it was Green Day's idea, but obviously the boys in U2 liked it.

:shrug:

To repeat what I posted in ETYKIW

I honestly don't think this is video is "attacking" the US Government directly. The whole point of the video is simply saying those people in New Orleans did NOT get the help and aid that should have been given to them. Not just because they're American citizens but because they are people. Human beings.

I think it gives out a very powerful message about what SHOULD have gone down with this disaster. Everyone knows that mistakes were made. But New Orleans is still in such a devistating state it's sickening. So much needs to be done still and not much is being done. People seem to have forgotten the fact that other people's lives have been turned upside-down and literally wrecked because of this. In this day and age it's unbelievable that something like this can go on for so long without more effort.

Phase II of Music Rising is focusing more on helping these people get their lives back together. They're donating to musicians and to schools and churches. ntalwar's right - it isn't just about the instruments anymore. And I don't think that's what it's only been about since the Foundation was founded a year ago. It's always been about the people.

And to clarify, the "Not As Seen On TV" sign was NOT put in by U2/Green Day/the video director.

That is an actual sign in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans.

http://www.neworleansvfp.org/node/2214

FYI, I saw it this morning on VH1's top 20 video countdown,
It comes on again tomorrow morning. ( 7 or 8 am central).
I didn't get a chance to video tape it since I had just turned on the tv to see if it was out yet, and there it was just coming on.
Good timing. :wink:
Fantastic video.
and yes it is causing quite a bit of controversy. That however, is not always a bad thing. :up:

Edgette said:
MTV.com has a better quality version, apparently. :up:

*copyrights restrict this player to play this video outside the US*

:banghead:

I checked MTV nl, and they didn't have the video listed yet...

hcbiggs2002 said:
Quote:
Originally posted by u2wedge

I've been wondering the same, i.e. if that's what really happened with the stealth fighter planes etc. bringing aid to the people of New Orleans? Coz the recovery effort of the city wasn't widely reported here in Finland. :reject:

I personally love the song and found the video very moving!

This is a video commentary on what SHOULD have happened.
If you read the news bulletin banners at the bottom of the screen they are FAKE and are the bands collective commentary on what should have happened. One said "TROOPS RE-DEPLOYED FROM IRAQ TO HELP...." That is totally what should have happened but DID NOT and it was and is a dark commentary on our government. That's why people are freaking out about this. But I say in order to change things you need to shed the light on the darkness. BRAVO boys! Change is coming soon we hope!

Awesome video and THANK YOU U2/ Greenday!

sad again to have another obvious knock for the folks at u2.com, sorry Seb.
Their own video looks better on MTV.
The size restriction of whatever proprietary player or an outsourced crappy vendors video player they use is a total shame

Back
Top Bottom