New Bono Pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Its from the other night at the Irish American Historical Society dinner at the Waldorf a couple of nights ago:

aihs_event.jpg

I don't know, he looks kind of big?

Ok ladies...nice replies please...you can be honest about your opinion but no flaming ok? :)

It's been FREEZINGLY cold here on the east coast the last few weeks...he may have had layers on...that looks like a pretty heavy coat...it could also be the camera angle...really close like that and shooting from below...

***Edited to add...keep in mind he probably has on that wool overcoat...a suit...possibly a scarf(there are some weird bulges at his neck and chest that suggest a scarf underneath) so all of these factors could be contributing...

Nice of him to sign autographs at a formal dinner. Love him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic, I was hoping one would turn up. Isn't Ruth Barohn Sad Eyed Lady? Naya, good to see you around, I was wondering if you were still with us! :wave:

Well apparently there's a really interesting story behind the picture:

From Youtwo.net
November 9, 2002
True to his word, Bono called YouTwo.net reporter Ruth Barohn and answered the questions she had given him on Thursday night outside the Waldorf Astoria Hotel
(see story at http://www.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=22217).

---
THE QUESTIONS

1. Do you know of any ancestral Hewsons who immigrated to America?

2. In an introduction you wrote to a Q Magazine special on Bob Dylan, you mentioned how
it was being looked into that part of your heritage might be Jewish. Do you know now?

3. How do you look at all these honors you are receiving now for your work to aid Africa?
Do you just look at it as a responsibility you have?

4. Can you share more about the ?Peter and the Wolf? project you are working on that
involves your daughters? Is this project benefiting any specific charity organization?

---
THE PHONE MESSAGE

(clears throat) Hey, it?s Bono. I am sorry to call so late. Your questions...about the
ancestral Hewsons immigrating to America -- I don?t [know], actually. I think I might
have met one or two. I think there might be a couple in New Jersey. I met them once
but don?t keep in contact.

And the Jewish thing, that?s on my mother?s side. Rankin sounds like a Jewish name. I
don?t know if they?ve figured it out finally, but I always thought that the Irish and the
Jewish community had something in common -- even though one?s a religion and one?s
a country. ?The people of the Book? they used to call them... And I love them as
writers. Incredible writers! And great songwriters! My favorite songwriters are Leonard
Cohen, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond. The Diamond. Do not forget the Diamond! You
know, the great books, the Torah, all these things have somehow shaped the way I see
the world.

What?s the other question? How do you look at these honors you are receiving now?
Oh, well... [jokingly] you only do the ones you can?t get out of. But I?m very moved
mostly. I just had one from the Irish Historical Society. It was amazing! And the
Simon Wiesenthal -- I mean, that?s just amazing! I mean, you get those and you just can?t turn them down.

...Something about the Peter and the Wolf book? Gavin Friday is doing the music; I?m
doing the book part. He?s doing the record part. I?m doing it, and Jordan and Eve
are going to help me. That?s right -- it?s for the Hospice Foundation which looks
after people and prepares them for their final journey. People who are very sick,
like my dad. My dad didn?t need the hospice, but he might have. He didn?t need them.
He was still in the hospital when he passed away.

At any rate, sorry about this long rambling message. Hope this helps you, and sorry
I couldn?t stop the other day. Bye.

*wants to snuggle with Bonobear* :drool:

*edit because now I've read the interview. VERY COOL!

Last edited:
What a cool story that Bono called Ruth to leave a message and respond to her questions! God I love that man! :hug:
And I like the pic too!

OMG, it's outdoors, bitter cold. God knows he didn't have to sign those autographs. How nice, he did it anyway. That's our Bono. We love him!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :heart: :heart: :heart: :silent: :censored:

That's an interesting pic because of the angle and also because of the light refraction. I'm not so sure the coloring is any different, I think it's the light. At any rate, a great pic!!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :heart: :heart: :mac: :censored:

verte76 said:
That's an interesting pic because of the angle and also because of the light refraction. I'm not so sure the coloring is any different, I think it's the light.

That's what I was thinking too. It's the light. It's like in some concert pics his (or lots of other stars' hair) can sometimes look blue, pink, purple, etc. It's the light!;)

I think he looks boootiful.....:drool:

It's things like this that make me love and respect him even more than I thought I did - any other celebrity at that hour of the night would not have given a second thought to an earlier promise of, "sorry, gotta go, but I'll find you later!" That he actually remembered and sought her out, just unbelievable! And that he took the time to give thought to her questions and call her back - wow - although I bet she is just *kicking* herself that she wasn't there to take the call in person - I'd be jumping up and down that he called but kicking my own ass at the same time that I wasn't there to answer the phone! :laugh:

bonosloveslave said:

although I bet she is just *kicking* herself that she wasn't there to take the call in person - I'd be jumping up and down that he called but kicking my own ass at the same time that I wasn't there to answer the phone! :laugh:

mmmmmmmm, but if THAT were on my answering machine, it play it over and over and over............. :D

Unfortunately I'm getting a red x on that pic today. Dammit! Is anyone else getting this? It's annoying when that happens to spiff Bono pix!!!!:madspit: :mad: :censored::scream: :scream: :censored:

OOPS! I goofed! The red x is gone and the pic is back! I must have screwed up somewhere. Sorry!!!! I'm so glad to have the pic back!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :cool: :heart: :heart: :censored:

Just for the record- it WAS a bad angle & lighting, Bono is not fat, this pic is 5 days newer ;)

bono-docklands2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom