never felt loved quote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britishbabe

Babyface
There was a recent interview with Bono I found on anothe U2 site. In it Bono makes the comment that he never ever felt loved. What are your thougts on this comment - I personally think he was making it up

Losing his mother at a young age and being left with a Dad that worked long hours and a brother that was a lot older. Bono was left alone, when he really needed someone to talk to about the loss of a mother and grandfather.

I personally don't think men (fathers, brothers) can show love the way a mother can. Women are more affectionate... loving towards children, and women are more intuitive with children and can pick up on feelings without the child having to come right out and say what is bothering him/her.

There is a quote somewhere from Gavin saying that Bono came around his home so much just to be close to his(Gavin's) mother.

Anyway I just think he meant that he didn't feel as loved as he would have liked. Heck if he has to compare the love he felt growing up to the love he feels now from the masses... well it is not a fair comparison, but Bono has said many times that he NEEDS to hear us screaming his name to feel loved.

In one of the U2 books I read...I can't remember which...he said something about how after his mother died, it was just a house, no longer a home. :sad: Poor Bono.

He has plenty of love now. Ali and the kids love him, and millions of fans love him. I love him. :heart: :hug:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly. :yes:.

Poor Bono...losing his mom at 14 years of age-and in such a freaky manner, too! :sad:.

:hug: for Bono.

Angela

:yes: but at least he and Larry were able to help each other with their horrible circumstances...

I love'em all! :) I've plenty of love to share. Specially for Bono. If I get the opportunity, I will tell him that the love he missed being younger now he has it and it's biggest and whole from every person who appreciates his music and lyrics :heart:

I think he was talking about losing his mother and his family situation in general when he was growing up. That had to be agonizing to lose a mother. That's so sad. :sad: :sad:

I have to add to this topic. I think you all have it pretty well said. I think it's possible to not feel loved, even when there are those who clearly love him (me included!) Many times you can really feel alone, no matter who is around you - especially when you've been hurt deeply before. At the risk of sounding sappy, we all need to be reminded that we're loved as much as we can, I think. And with his troubled past (losing his mother, and like was also mentioned, his father working late and his brother being much older) has a lot to do w/ it, but also I think deep down he's really self concious about himself and very humbled. I notice when he's speaking frankly about himself, he puts himself down and can't accept compliments. I think he too much, and cares so much for others, that he doesn't give himself a little "me" time. So that prolly helps him to feel this way. Plus he's a very phsyical person with his affection - and he needs that same level back - touring can be grueling, and many times I imagine he doesn't get to spend as much time w/ his fans as he would like. This man would prolly talk all night to them us if he could. So I think it's sad, but in turn it's a great virtue that he feels this way - because it means he's not stuck on his own ego... if that makes sense?

Such a big :heart: he has... sigh... ok I'm fine. :) Sorry to interupt, just had to add my 2 cents...

wertsie said:
In one of the U2 books I read...I can't remember which...he said something about how after his mother died, it was just a house, no longer a home. :sad: Poor Bono.

In the Larry King interview, Larry asked him what it was like then, and he said:

"It was like a lot of people's experiences...you know...it's a house but it's not a home."

I read somewhere that people often want/need attention to compensate their troubled past. Maybe that was another (pshycological) aspect to Bono becoming a singer (and part of the motivation to keep going with U2), to (in a way) get love and appreciation.

Last edited:
Yeah I can see everyone's point but I can't help but feel that he is lonely deep down. The fact that he said he never felt loved means that he has been lonely for some time. I hope Ali and the kids don't have anything to do with it. It's a well-known fact that Ali doesn't like having him around the house after tours and all. It would also make sense to why he is never home and why he feels the need to be physically affectionate around his fans, i.e those who scream that they love him.

It's true that Ali is a little uncomfortable with him coming home right after a tour, but he's uncomfortable going, too. During the ZooTV tour they were both a little concerned that the kids wouldn't understand certain things that went on while he adjusted. He and Ali seem to have a really good relationship. I'm sure they have their difficulties, as do all married couples. But these two are in love! Heck, I have not one but two siblings who are divorced. Keeping a marriage going is no easy task. How Bono and Ali have managed to do this is mind-boggling to me but something that makes me happy. These two deserve a happy relationship, and from everything I can tell, they've got it.:happy: :happy:

What I think is brilliant is how the Best Of 90s ends, if you listen to the CD as an album. The last lyrics are from "I Feel Love," and after the whole part about turning away from God ("My father is a rich man; he wears a rich man's clock...he says 'I have many mansions and there are many rooms to see.' But I left by the backdoor and I threw away the key") the very last thing heard on the CD is "But for the first time, I feel love."

Now, isn't that just the perfect ending to U2 in the 90s? ZooTV, Pop...all around the world in a grand madness, indugling in the flesh to find salvation...And crawling back home at the end of it all. And now, as Bono says, he feels love. For the first time. Brilliant. The first time I realized that was the end of the album I shivered and just drove home the rest of the way in silence, floored by it. :D

Back
Top Bottom