Need to know how to pronounce a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is pronounced something like She-aan...

The 'a' should have a circumflex (^) above the 'a' thus: Si?n. This means that the sound of the 'a' should be prolonged.

Im not sure though. All I know is that it is Welsh for Jane. In irish it would be Sinead.

Wolfden: I always thought Aislinn was pronounced with a long A... like A-slinn, so have I been pronouncing this wrong all along then? and does the rule still apply when it's spelled asylinn, I mean is it still pronounced the same?

Sorry, I'm not expecting you to be a language expert here, but you seem to know how this name is pronounced. I have always loved this name so I want to get it right.

Last edited:
There's some TV interview bit (maybe it was on VH1 Legends) where Edge talks about his family and he says it like "Sigh-Ann".

greenlight7-11 said:
There's some TV interview bit (maybe it was on VH1 Legends) where Edge talks about his family and he says it like "Sigh-Ann".

YES! I knew I heard Edge say her name somewhere but I couldn't remember where. There's a part where he's talking about Morleigh and how they have a little girl and he does say "Sigh-Ann."

As far as Aislinn goes it's pronounced like it would be spelled with an H instead of an I so it's Ash-lynn.

:huh: Ok somehow I found it right away...I didn't even check the list of Q&A. I just fast forwarded a little because I figured it wouldn't be at the beginning of the interview....It's around 31 minutes into the interview. The interviewer asks them what's the most important event in their lives and he says the birth of his children and how he was on tour so he missed Sian's birth. He does pronounce it the same way greenlight7-11 mentioned from the Legends interviews.

Last edited:
Adams_Girl97 said:
Wolfden: I always thought Aislinn was pronounced with a long A... like A-slinn, so have I been pronouncing this wrong all along then? and does the rule still apply when it's spelled asylinn, I mean is it still pronounced the same?

Sorry, I'm not expecting you to be a language expert here, but you seem to know how this name is pronounced. I have always loved this name so I want to get it right.

*chuckle*
well we came up with a liking for the name while in Scotland and it's my daughter's name...

(I'd forgotten about the Edge connection.. :reject: )

I expect anymore it's pronounced however someone wants to pronounce it, but we were taught "Ash-lin" so there you have it.

On a bootleg I have for Edge's birthday in 1987, Bono calls the former Mrs. Evans "Ashling." I've seen her name written either Aislinn or Aisling, either way the first part would be pronounced "Ash."

Hi Mistyrose! :wave: Always good to see you here posting! :up:

That's the first thing I thought, that on the Legends show I remembered him saying 'we have a little girl, Sian' and he said Sigh-Ann. Also there was an actress when I was kid called Sian Barbara Allen and she was Sigh-Ann too. In the US there is a name based on the Native American tribe, Cheyenne or Sheyenne, pronounced Shy-Ann.

Thanks, U2Kitten! :D You're sweet.

Yeah, on Legends it sounding like "Sigh-Ann." It's quite lovely.

But I have to say, up until a year or so ago, I totally pronounced Aislinn's name wrong! :huh:

Don't feel bad, I did until just now :huh: But I don't think I've ever said it out loud, but I was thinking Ace-lynn.:reject:

BrittanyNova said:
The Irish name that really got me was Sibhon (sp) Who would ever think it was pronounced "Shiv-ON?"

Siobhan....

or Niamh, or Aoife....

*cringes* i knew someone who had decided to "adopt" the name Aoife, though American-born, and went about insisting everyone call her "OY-fee" and it just drove me bananas because I was taught it's more of a breathy "Ay-feh" or "Eh-fee", essentially Eva.

And Ciara... "KEE-ra" not See-a-ra!

I just tend to be of the opinion that if you want to use an ethnic name for your kids, learn to say it properly.... whether it's Amerind, Gaelic, Yoruba, or Japanese, yanno? :D

Ah, Grainne thats it! I used to work with a Grainne. Her brother in law would ring from Ireland and his name was Fergus. Most amusing to us idiots in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom