Need dog advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
We just adopted a 5 year old Dachshund from a rescue group and he's the best little dog, except for one thing-he keeps marking all over our house. It's not a housetraining issue, as he is very good about letting us know when he needs to go out, it's a territorial thing. Does anybody have any tips on how to break him of this ? Because I simply can't watch him every minute of the day and I'm getting frustrated. The place I got him from said I could return him no questions asked, but I really don't want to do that b/c I love him all ready and he's great in every other way. But at the same time, I don't want to live in a house that smells like pee. I know there are a lot of animal lovers here, so I'm hoping some of you have had a similar experience and could tell me how you handled it. Thanks.

I'm assuming he is probably already neutered if he came from a rescue group...

Make sure you clean the areas that he has marked really well, with an enzymatic cleaner - pet stores (rather than grocery stores) are the best for carrying those, Nature's Miracle is a very good one.

One idea is to have him wear something like boys boxer shorts or underwear (put them on backwards and then his tail can be pulled out through the fly opening) when he is in the house. When he goes to mark, he wets himself. Obviously you don't want to have him wear a wet pair all day so you need to buy a few so you can change then as needed. Have them on when you are not around to supervise him or when he is out of the crate (if you use a crate with him). After 2 weeks try having them off for longer periods of time while he is in areas that would be easy to clean if he still happens to mark.

You might also look at your local pet store for Comfort Zone for dogs - it comes in a spray and plug-in diffuser, helps with some dogs who mark in the house.

Last edited:
Is he crate trained? Maybe give that a try as well. My dog ended up really loving his crate, its his own space.
Double check to make sure he is neutered, it could have been over looked at the rescue. Usually if a male dog is neutered they will stop marking.

Good Luck!

I think it's one of two things, both have which have been said. Either he is just in an adjustment period and will quit on his own when he feels more comfortable or he needs to be fixed. If your worried about doing that, take it from someone who worked in a vet's office and animal shelter, there is nothing wrong with fixing a pet. It does a lot more good then it does harm.

Thanks for the advice guys. He is nuetered, so that's not it. He's had a tough life, so I think part of it is being insecure and nervous.
I've got him in diapers for now-which he hates, but it seems to be helping. Does'nt matter anyway, I'm already in love with him, so there's no way I could take him back now.

Back
Top Bottom