"My Wife's Bono, and You're Larry!" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:06 PM
"My Wife's Bono, and You're Larry!"

That bizarre quote comes from a story in today's Toronto Star, about a lawsuit currently under way. A nanny is suing her former employer, The Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan and her husband (I won't go into the details, but they don't sound like nice people). The above remark was shouted at the nanny by Dolores' husband, as the nanny cowered behind a locked door. Apparently, he was trying to belittle her. The article says the nanny had worked for Larry Jr. before being employed by O'Riordan.
This has been a busy Bono-related news week in the Toronto press. In additon to this, there was the article cited in the news forum. As well, a few days ago, Bono was on the FRONT PAGE of the National Post. When I saw that paper on my front step, with Bono's face looking up at me, I almost fell over. I thought something awful must have happened. Actually, it was just a wry little piece comparing Bono with Ralph Klein, who was doing the speech honours at the Conservative Convention. (Bono did the same at last fall's Liberal Convention.) Some of the similarities noted: Both wear tinted glasses, both are into debt reduction, both are reformed smokers and hard drinkers, etc. A bit lame, but still, it was the FRONT PAGE of a major daily. That's alright.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #2

Re: "My Wife's Bono, and You're Larry!"

Dolores always seemed like a bitch to me, btw the quote was 'My wife is Bono, not Larry'.

Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
I always referred to that woman as 'the tragedy of the Cranberries'... such a pity a great band had such a lousy bitch for a singer.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Different sources give the quote differently. Either way, it's a ridiculous, massively ego-inflated thing to say (and pretty insulting to Larry, as well!)
Old 03-27-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I want to see the picture!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 PM
I don't understand. Why is Bono somebody's wife?

*reads post slower*
Old 03-27-2004, 11:01 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Tabloid crap....and that's being kind.
Dolores' husband is Don, btw. Give me Dolores anyday over
those Corrs' sisters. Seeing that this "story" comes from the Star,
I believe that crap as much as I do the "unknown sources" posting U2 album news.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Keocmb
I don't understand. Why is Bono somebody's wife?
I think he was referring to her celebrity status, that being Bono is more popular than Larry (at least in the general entertainment world lol). Some people are so full of themselves.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:53 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Sadly, this is not "tabloid crap". The "Star" in question is The Toronto Star, which is actually Canada's largest daily newsapaper, but that's not important. This story is all over the major Irish papers, and is featured in Hot Press as well. Just do a Google search.
Adams_Girl97, you're right. I think "Mr. Dolores" (Don?) was trying to suggest that his wife is massively more important than a mere nanny, in the way that Bono is massively more important than Larry (not!!) I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the Corrs. Nothing, obviously.
U2 Kitten, the picture on the front page of the National Post was not new. I'm sure you have it in your vast and magnificent gallery of photos. It is a fairly recent shot (last year or so); he's wearing a brown jacket and shirt, his hair is soft and wavy, he's bearded, with the dark reddish-brown glasses, and he has his finger up to his chin, looking thoughtful. Can you post this? I'm sure you have it!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Oh.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:13 AM   #11
War Child

Ya this court battle was on the front page of my hometown paper in ONtario, they spend a few week's here in the summer and have a cottage.her husbands Canadian. The paper said said the nanny wants the designer clothes Delores is holding captive her jeep and money owed her...
Old 03-31-2004, 12:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Man, that blows. Didn't Ali have something to do with that singer? Like some charity connection or something?

If someone I nannied for treated me like shit you bet I'd complain. We're only RAISING YOUR KIDS for goodness sakes!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Cranberrires had a single (I think it was called "Time is Ticking" or something like that) that was dedicated to Ali. It was anti-nukes, I think. I also have seen some pics of Ali with O'Riordan. Maybe someone here has them?
The husband in this case sounds really arrogant, but maybe it was the drink talking.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by biff
The Cranberrires had a single (I think it was called "Time is Ticking" or something like that) that was dedicated to Ali. It was anti-nukes, I think. I also have seen some pics of Ali with O'Riordan. Maybe someone here has them?
The husband in this case sounds really arrogant, but maybe it was the drink talking.
I think the proceeds from that single went to the Chernobyl Children's Project, and that was why Ali was involved as she is patron of that charity.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes Kellyahern, that's right. It's coming back to me now. Thanks. (Long day at work, brain not firing on all cylinders.)
Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I think the proceeds from that single went to the Chernobyl Children's Project, and that was why Ali was involved as she is patron of that charity.
The song is about Chernobyl as well. Time is ticking out.....