My turn..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
My CD-ROM drive is broken and I have to take it to get it fixed if I can find someone who fixes Gateway computers. They recently shut down the local Gateway store so I have to find someone who can fix the damn thing. What is this about PLEBA girls and computer hassles?? :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
What's wrong w/ it? It might be cheaper to get a new one. Hardware like that is simple to install. Computer distributors always over charge for repairs.

I'm sorry Verte :hug: Those repairs are high, and then you have to be without your computer for days or even weeks. If you can do it (I'm broke but I'm getting enough tax return to cover it) Wal-Mart has an emachine with a 17 inch monitor, CD ROM and CD burner, 2.60 GHz processor, 40GB hard drive and 6 USB ports for $469 dollars. :yes: You will probably pay at least half that alone to get the CD ROM fixed, more if they need new parts. It's an idea.

Why do PLEBA girls have so many computer problems? :shrug: It couldn't be the overuse and hanging around here by any chance could it? ;)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Wal-Mart has an emachine with a 17 inch monitor, CD ROM and CD burner, 2.60 GHz processor, 40GB hard drive and 6 USB ports for $469 dollars. :yes:

Hey if y'all ever need a new computer, people put them up for REALLY cheap here all the time on our college eDeals board.

For example, this is currently advertised for $400:
"AMD Athlon 1110
ASUS Motherboard
40 GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro
2 rear, 1 front USB
DVD drive
Floppy Drive
512MB RAM
Pure Flatscreen Monitor (Big enough)
GeForce 3 Ti 200
Optical Mouse
Keyboard"

And...
"Dell Dimension 4100 PC for sale. $200"

plus lots more I could find if I felt like looking,

:shocked: Wow that is a good deal!

Is it rebuilt? How old is the body? I'm sure that's less than Verte would pay to get her ROM fixed. They want like 40-60 bucks an hour just to diagnose and they have a week's waiting list. If you pay them a hundred they put you to the front of the line. Then it's like 69 dollars an hour not including parts. That's what I say, there is MONEY in fixing computers. Even if most regular people can't pay that way businesses and stuff can. If you have your own business you can clean up. There's a service around here called Geeks on Call where they come to your home or office at $100 per hour, labor only.

U2Kitten said:
:shocked: Wow that is a good deal!

Is it rebuilt? How old is the body? I'm sure that's less than Verte would pay to get her ROM fixed.
/
Which one are you thinking of?

There's a service around here called Geeks on Call where they come to your home or office at $100 per hour, labor only.

We have Nerds on Wheels. They have a red VW Bug with their logo on it.

I'll tell you a secret about fixing computers: it's CAKEPIE!! I mean, say I were to replace Verte's CD-ROM. You slide off the side panel of the CPU. The CD-ROM only has two wires connecting it to the motherboard and they're both a different size so you can't mess up there. Plus, with computers these days, there's really only one place where your hardware fits. It's all so self-explanatory. The thing that gets people is they fear the computer and fear damaging the computer. The way I see it, the computer is not God. Humans invented the computer and even if I do mess up and break something else, EVERYTHING is entirely fixable. You just have to get over that fear of taking it apart and going inside......it's not even that cool. The inside is usually dusty with random screws that fell out rolling around. I LOVE fixing computers. It's so much easier than raising four kids for someone else!

BTW, when I fix computers off-campus (for me, not for work) I usually get $10/hr which I think is fair b/c most of the stuff I "fix" is seriously a waste of my time and time is a precious commodity when you're a working colletge student.

Ten bucks an hour is damn good money for a 19 year old. I bet by the time you are 25 or 30 you will make 30 bucks an hour or more. :yes:

...and it would still take me 40 years to pay off my loans. :|

Shoot, Verte, if I had an extra CD-ROM is send it your way, but I don't have that part right now (sometimes I hoard all the reject parts at work - the ones that need cleaning or minor repairs that it's too much time to waste on b/c the parts are old anyway :D )

Verte I hope you haven't put it in the shop already, if you can still post get over here, it's a ZOO Leather Day, your favorite!

Back
Top Bottom