my Popmart + Vertigo pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
hi all!

i've found so many amazing pics here, that i want to share some of my personal photographs with you!

i don't know how to attach pictures at this forum (or if i'm even allowed??) but here's the link to my pictures from Popmart, Oslo 6 August 1997 (beware, they were shot using a disposable Kodak camera, so the quality isn't the best!):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8575&l=49c9a&id=652990434

and here's the Gothenburg 29 July 2005 pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4836&l=9f26d&id=652990434

enjoy! :)

...and here's also my pictures from my trip to Ireland and Belfast, July 2002.

me and my mate Borge (both from Norway), met Bono the first day (unforgettable), then some days later Bono's brother Norman (with his witty comment, se below the picture!), a big fish (Belfast) and on our last day, Adam!!! :)

what a holiday! we'll never forget it! :)

here's the pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8565&l=0b5cf&id=652990434

70424eb2.jpg

I think Ive had thi pic but its cropped let me look....

studio02-vi.jpg

Here is the pic I have !!! Ive had this for a LONG time and thats you on the side ((you can see the shrit collar)) :)

I think i might have more....

Also i have a ?? about the crown pics from your POP pics Did Bono keep the crown for the whole show?? I think i might have understood that he got it from a Canadian fan??

Also you werethat close to the stage?? and is that the concert that the band got stuck in the Lemon???

sorry for all the questions...:reject:

Last edited:
4fc607ca.jpg

a9fab9ee.jpg

^^^^Here are your pics

popking2-vi.jpg

Here is the one I have of Bono with the crown, this one is cropped....
in the original the guy in the red is standing right in front of him, I have it but it's very late so if someone else doesnt post the original Ill look for it and post it tomorrrow ;)

mysterious_jen said:
HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!! awesome pics thanks for sharing :up:

thank you for all the compliments! :)

first of all, the guy who Bono borrowed the crown from (he gave it back later in the show) is Todd Reubold, from Minnesota, US actually! i met up with him and two other girls (Vero from Stockholm and a norwegian girl) through the internet just hours before the show. We decided to dress up as Pop-tarts, and therefore the crown, masks and make up (as you can see on the picture of Todd and the norwegian girl).

after the show Todd was the hero of the town, and a lot of people asked him if he wore the same crown that Bono had during the show.

yes, during Lemon Remix of this show, the lemon didn't open, and all we could see for a couple of minutes were the feet of all of U2 inside the lemon. It stopped opening after only 10-15 cm. After a while the lemon rolled back and U2 entered the b-stage from beneath the catwalk, walking exactly where Bono walked when he borrowed the crown. I remember Bono repeatedly called out "Lemon breakdown, lemon breakdown..." Funny!

as for the Dublin meeting, me and my traveling partner walked down to Hanover Quay, and a few other fans stood waiting outside beside a bench covered in words and catch-phrases of U2 lyrics and so forth.

after about 2 hours the black Mercedes came, and we could all see the silouettes of Edge, Larry, Bono and Adam.

Bono then suddenly stood in the doorway, and all he said was "Ey..." I immediately jumped up, shouting "It's Bono!!" and walked straight over. He stood there calmly, hand outstretched. When I shook his hand, he said, "Nice suit, tin of fruit!" I'm from Norway, so i got a bit puzzled by this, and I replied, "sorry?"

Then he explained that back in the days, the women would give compliments to the men by making the compliment rhyme on anything (suit - fruit)!

I asked him about their (then) new song "The Hands That Built America", and said i liked the vibe of it, with Edge on the piano. He seemed surprised that I had heard of it (this being July 15, 2002). I said I heard it at u2.com, and then he laughed and said that was probably a very poor version!

I remember he smelled very nice, but i didn't dare to ask what kind of perfume he used! (being a male and all!;)

My friend asked Bono if it was ok that we played some of U2's songs at our local church back in Norway, and he said sure, what songs did we play? I replied The First Time, and my friend said 40. Bono: "Ah, 40! That song changes my heart every time we play it."

That was the goose-bump moment for me! :)

When Bono said he had to go inside again, it was like a big big void, and i wanted to cry out, "Please don't go now!!" It was just like seeing Bono from all the videos and pictures, and still he was so relaxed and human. It was a very bittersweet moment when he walked back up the stairs to their studio.

Some days later we met Norman, inside his cafè Nude, and when I asked him; "Are you Bono's brother?" he replied, "No, he's mine!" :)

Just before leaving for Norway, we walked back down to HQ, and this time we could hear The Edge playing the guitar riff to Electrical Storm. A couple of hours later, Adam came out and he just signed some autographs and walked back in.

Some very memorable and unforgettable days in Dublin, which i will treasure for the rest of my life! I feel very blessed to have both shaked Bono's hand and spoken to him! It felt like meeting a long lost friend.

aski, your story is SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! GAHHHHH!!!! BONO IS THE COOOOOOLEST!!!! ha ha ha Nice suit tin of fruit!!! ((think Im going to use this sometime too :) ))

HE SMELLED GOOD??? YOU HAD GOOSE BUMPS??? YOU WANTED TO CRY OUT "PLEASE DONT GO!!!"??? I love when a guy expresses himself that is so awseome and Im sure that it is a memory to keep for ever!!!:happy::up:

Thank you again for sharing your story and your awesome pics and the fact that you were witness to the Lemon malfunction LOL!!AWESOME!!! :up: the band still laugh about that incident and you witnessed it :)

Norman what a character huh, OH and YES BONO SMELLS DELISH!!!!!:drool:

Oh yeah and I saw the autograph he gave you and wrote you the ryhme I did'nt get it until you explained "WONDERFUL"

:wink: :drool: Oh Thank you Aski for sharing you pics(you know those ones you took at Pop with that camera were not bad at all! Love the ones w/ Bono and the Crown! lol!)and I love the Vertigo ones, too! Thank you for sharing your story of your trip to Dublin! And I add too, it is a nice suit!:yes: :sexywink: PS; You have a very cute friend!:wink: :flirt: Oh and you of course! lol!

aski said:

thank you for all the compliments! :)

first of all, the guy who Bono borrowed the crown from (he gave it back later in the show) is Todd Reubold, from Minnesota, US actually! i met up with him and two other girls (Vero from Stockholm and a norwegian girl) through the internet just hours before the show. We decided to dress up as Pop-tarts, and therefore the crown, masks and make up (as you can see on the picture of Todd and the norwegian girl).

after the show Todd was the hero of the town, and a lot of people asked him if he wore the same crown that Bono had during the show.

yes, during Lemon Remix of this show, the lemon didn't open, and all we could see for a couple of minutes were the feet of all of U2 inside the lemon. It stopped opening after only 10-15 cm. After a while the lemon rolled back and U2 entered the b-stage from beneath the catwalk, walking exactly where Bono walked when he borrowed the crown. I remember Bono repeatedly called out "Lemon breakdown, lemon breakdown..." Funny!

as for the Dublin meeting, me and my traveling partner walked down to Hanover Quay, and a few other fans stood waiting outside beside a bench covered in words and catch-phrases of U2 lyrics and so forth.

after about 2 hours the black Mercedes came, and we could all see the silouettes of Edge, Larry, Bono and Adam.

Bono then suddenly stood in the doorway, and all he said was "Ey..." I immediately jumped up, shouting "It's Bono!!" and walked straight over. He stood there calmly, hand outstretched. When I shook his hand, he said, "Nice suit, tin of fruit!" I'm from Norway, so i got a bit puzzled by this, and I replied, "sorry?"

Then he explained that back in the days, the women would give compliments to the men by making the compliment rhyme on anything (suit - fruit)!

I asked him about their (then) new song "The Hands That Built America", and said i liked the vibe of it, with Edge on the piano. He seemed surprised that I had heard of it (this being July 15, 2002). I said I heard it at u2.com, and then he laughed and said that was probably a very poor version!

I remember he smelled very nice, but i didn't dare to ask what kind of perfume he used! (being a male and all!;)

My friend asked Bono if it was ok that we played some of U2's songs at our local church back in Norway, and he said sure, what songs did we play? I replied The First Time, and my friend said 40. Bono: "Ah, 40! That song changes my heart every time we play it."

That was the goose-bump moment for me! :)

When Bono said he had to go inside again, it was like a big big void, and i wanted to cry out, "Please don't go now!!" It was just like seeing Bono from all the videos and pictures, and still he was so relaxed and human. It was a very bittersweet moment when he walked back up the stairs to their studio.

Some days later we met Norman, inside his cafè Nude, and when I asked him; "Are you Bono's brother?" he replied, "No, he's mine!" :)

Just before leaving for Norway, we walked back down to HQ, and this time we could hear The Edge playing the guitar riff to Electrical Storm. A couple of hours later, Adam came out and he just signed some autographs and walked back in.

Some very memorable and unforgettable days in Dublin, which i will treasure for the rest of my life! I feel very blessed to have both shaked Bono's hand and spoken to him! It felt like meeting a long lost friend.

OMG!!! What an awesome meeting Aski!!! This is just so great and exciting!!! I gotta go check out your pictures now!!

"Lemon breakdown , lemon breakdown . "
"Nice suit , tin of fruit ."
and Bono smell . :drool:

Love it , thank's for sharing your story aski . :hug:

just for the record, i'm a heterosexual guy, now married, and we got beautiful little girl (Eline, 1 year old), and a second baby coming in October.

my friend Borge, is also married, and they have now 2 kids! :)

i've always been told by my friends that i'm a guy who they can rely on, and that i'm always very open and never hide my feelings. i think it's very important to communicate to each other (as Bono also told several times during the Elevation tour, especially during Kite), and tell each other how we really feel inside.

aski said:
just for the record, i'm a heterosexual guy, now married, and we got beautiful little girl (Eline, 1 year old), and a second baby coming in October.

my friend Borge, is also married, and they have now 2 kids! :)

i've always been told by my friends that i'm a guy who they can rely on, and that i'm always very open and never hide my feelings. i think it's very important to communicate to each other (as Bono also told several times during the Elevation tour, especially during Kite), and tell each other how we really feel inside.

;) I never assumed anything at all I just love it when a guy expresses himself, I know men including my own brothers that dont do that, but then I have guy friends who do express themselves and its really refreshing :up:

((please dont take my comment wrong about your excitement on meeting Bono)) Bono does that to people, He is like a hero to us and like you said we see him in videos and concerts and to meet him in a whole different element where he is realaxed and just want to chat with his fans IS WAY COOL!!

Plus sometimes i think that there are a lot more male U2 fans than there are female and trust me my guy friends get just as excited about meeting our U2 heros as I do ;)

Plus I did see while I looked at your U2 pics that little pic on the top of you holding a baby *very cute baby*((again NOTHING was ever assumed)) I do think that suit looked good on you though ;)

***I have another quick question looks like someone else took pics of Bono in the crown

Last edited:
the suit was in fact bought only a couple of days before the Ireland trip, in a second-hand store, for only 200 NOK (about 25 dollars!) I wanted to get that Irish-feel to it, so i thought i'd dress like an Irishman! (but i soon found out, i was the only one walking the streets of Dublin in this suit!! ;)

as for the Popmart crown picture, two pictures were not taken by me (the one with Todd and the Norwegian girl) and the picture of Bono holding the crown and the flower on stage later in the show. those were scanned from a Propaganda issue.

someone on this post also posted another picture of Bono, standing with his crown in front of a security man (which was cut away), and that picture was taken by a professional photographer i believe (not me at least!)

the rest of the Popmart-pictures on my facebook-link was taken by me (2 "crown-pictures": the one where Bono reach out for the crown, and the one where you can only see his back, wearing the crown).

hope that made things clearer? :)

no problems at all with your comment on my feelings/way of expressing myself! in fact, i take it as a compliment! :)

Back
Top Bottom