My last(?) U2 trip, part 3, Slanereview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissZooropa

Refugee
Heer is the last part about my trip, it's kind of long but it's hard to make it short when there are so much that happened both outside of me and inside. Enjoy!

My last(?) U2 trip, part 3, Slane

So, I just realized that to make it to the airport in time was impossible. Not even with a cab. Don?t know what to do. I?m paralyzed and don?t know whether to laugh or cry. Martin is calm though and sits down infront of the computer to see what he can find. We call an airline just to find out that a oneway ticket on a flight the same evening was ?only??125. I was already broke before and made this trip on a tight budget so this was NOT what I wanted to hear. I knew it was buses operating the both cities but that meant I wouldn?t be in Dublin until the next morning and I had a payed hostel, but the bus only costed ?32. I started to book just to find out it was already full. I was losing hope, maybe I just should skip everything, stay in London and take my flight back home on monday as planned. I was also very sad realizing that I would miss meeting up with some friends for a U2-tourday in Dublin that I had been looking forward to. How would I get in contact with them to tell them what had happened. So many questions, no answers. I just wanted to lay down and cry and wake up from the worst nightmare in my life. I hardly ever oversleep but this morning, the only one I just can?t oversleep, I do?. I get myself together and decide to take that flight anyway, if I wait any longer I might not even have that possibility. I call the airline and give them my creditcardnumber, just to get the answer ?denied?. Now I was very close to a breakdown. I give them the number again IF they had heard wrong, once again ?denied, sorry I have to cancel the reservation?. I scream out for Martin, ?do you have a creditcard?? He saves me and let me pay the flight on his card (bless you Martin!). Now I at least have transportation to Dublin but I saw my so needed new TV fly away, I have to live a TV-less life for the next month, naything for U2?.
Next mission, to get a hold of a friend already in Dublin that I knew the number til, get him to meet up with my other friends I was supposed to meet so they could get the info. I finally reach him and he said that he would go there, so he did I found out later.

I try to calm down now, I will at least make it to Dublin, on the same day as planned. Martin has to leave for his flight which leaves me alone in the apartment. I sit down, write some e-mail, checking news about the shows I?ve seen, always fun to read reviews. I leave early though cause I?m NOT gonna miss this flight. When I?m on the plane I get this very uncomfortable feeling that with my luck we are gonna crash and for the first time in my life I?m frightened of taking off. All I could think of was to get to Dublin in one piece. I even remember myself thinking, while landing, that now the speed is low enough so even if the pilot loose control I won?t die. Crazy I know but I was sooo stressed.

Finally I arrive on ?holy ground? and I get goosebumps all over and I now realize what?s about to happen. I find my hostel sit down on my bed when Martin calls me and we make arrangements to meet up at a pub later. I take a shower, sit down for a few mintues then I?m ready to explore Dublin. I meet Martin and a friend of his at first and then we meet up with two other U2-friends from Sweden. Only subject of our discussions is U2, of course and we all agreee that this is pretty unrealbeing there, in Dublin. I?m really tired though and decide to leave early, about 1am.

The next morning we all meet up again and make our way to Windmill Lane. Some photos, reading and then we try to fiogure out what to write. We wanted to do something together and we decide to write ?stars? from WOWY but in the swedish way that Bono sang back in 87, Gothenburg and Stockholm ?92 (Dancing Zoo TV-boot). He changed the lyric to be ?We?ll shine like stars in the midnight sun? So I write that and we all sign it with our names, dates and country. I make a sign for myself as well, quoting my favsentence ?your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed? My name ending with Bonolicious Bonobabe #1, as I for fun call myself some times. Two of my friends finds some men working with a skylift and asks them what they want to take them up so they could write higher up on the wall as anyone had done before. They pay ?5 each and sign high up, one saying ?higher ground? and the other ?Elevated?.
smile.gif

We leave the wall and walks through Dublin, get some food and decide to make our way to Slane after recomendation from a friend already there.

We arrive in Slane 7.30 pm. More and more people arrive and all are very unsecure about what?s happening and where the entrances are. The police tells us we?re not allowed to camp outside but there were not much they could do. We try to arrange a numbersystem and I end up #107. By now I?ve met one of the girls I was supposed to meet the day before but missed cause of the flighttrouble. She shows me some incredible photos of the band from earlier shows and then we try to get some sleep. But it?s freezing and uncomfortable sleeping in just a sleepingbag on a stony ground, but once again, anything for U2.
smile.gif

Some time around 7, 7.30 the security arrives to organize the line and put up barrier. At this moment the numbersystem is out of work. We all mixes up and it?s just a matter of luck, or rather how much you do as you are told to. I end up in an ok place, pretty much with the number of people infront of me as it says on my number. Then starts a looooong wait, doing nothing cause leaving the line is out of question here.

Around 10.30 something happens and the line moves forward, the have started to let people in!!!! They let a few in at a time and we are lightly checked at the first gate, at the second the check our ticket and of course You are a bit unsecure since it?s been so many fake tickets around. Mine is ok though and I?m heading off. At first I run but when I reach the grass and the downhill my ankles says no and the last thing I want to do is to twist them so I take it a bit easier. I make it down to the entrance of the heart and I?m in!! I see to my big surpirce that the frontreiling almost is empty and then I see why, the stage is SO high. I decide as most before me to take a spot along the side of the heart, right between the mainstage and the tip, perfect. I can see verything wherever they are. Now the long waiting begin but at least we will get some entertainment along the way.
smile.gif

------------------

"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

First out is Relish, they ar ok. Next is JJ72, I?ve seen them twice bfore and they are so, so. Somewhere in the middle I?m just to tired so I lie down on my raincoat on the hard ?floor? of the reiling and somehow I fall asleep and don?t wake up until 1.5-2 hours later when Coldplay is about to go onstage. I missed Kelis, not much to miss though. By now the rainy clouds are gone and the sun shines from a clear blue sky. Coldplay was good, really good and I could see on the audience that they have a future. It was funny when the singer introduced a song with Bono?s classic introcution to SBS, ?it?s been a lot of talk about this song, maybe too much, this is not a rebelsong, this is?. Yellow? It was really a singalong song and everybody seemed to know the words.

Next up is Red hot Chili peppers. They were better then I had expected and I knew far more songs then I thought. They were very active onstage?..
They finnish and the now so wellknown routines before U2 is about to enter begins. I see now that they rebuild parts of the stage and build a ramp in the height of the reiling and stairs down to it fron the sides and in the middle. I now kind of regret that I didn?t go for the front row. Ah, what the heck, I have a perfect spot right where I am?.

When I hear the familiar words to ?The boys are back in town? I get butterflies in my stomache and goosebumps all over (it?s gonna be alot fo goosebumps from now on  ). Then Higher ground comes on and Lift me higher, and I?m sure already lifted. Then Sgt Pepper which I by now know the lyrics to and then we see them and EVERYBODY is up jumping singing Ohhhh, ohhh together. Edge is on the top, he?s jumping through the whole song, I?ve never seen him like that, he?s not just weighing from one foot to the other, he jumps up and down and the other gives it all as well. Under the clear blue sky we get Beautiful day and I get the bullfight right infront of me in Until the end? But as usual the photographer is in the way. Before Kite we get a speech about Bono?s father of course, touching as always and Kite?. Oh, my God? I turn around and look up the hill and all I see is thousands and thousands of lighters, what a magnificent sight. My eyes tears up and I can?t hold it back when he comes to ?i?m a maaan?? The tears are falling and do so for the rest of the song and then, then the dream that everyone have been talking about, to get to hear them do A sort of homecoming in Slane, Oh, my God?again? That?s probably the most emotional moment ever in my life, I have no words?. Sorry, I wish I could describe it.

I will follow follows and 80000 people are jumping clapping hands, it?s another amazing view up the hill. In the middle of the song I look at a guy I?ve been talking to earlier during the day, he looks and me, we smile to each other and starts to enjoy the song toghether, headbanging, singing and jumping, a really special moment since I?m mostly so concentrated on the music and myself to don?t bother about anyone around me. SBS after that and if the crowd was crazy after two amazing songs this took us even higher. Now I?m not even on earth anymore and I don?t really remember what happens here, my memories are kind of blurry because of all the feelings and all the emotions. In stuck Bono was leaning on Adam while he did what I wished for, went up in ?discover how deep? in Stuck in a moment. I remember we got an acoustic set at the tip including a cover from Thin Lizzy, which U2 supported back in 81. Bono says something about them (U2) being really crappy back then. Then a tremendous Bad, which slips into Streets and if everybody was jumping to I will follow even the citizen of Slane, outside the area was jumping in their livingroom, for sure, to Streets?. Mysterious ways, my favourite, and Bono picks a girl with cerice hair dances with her and slides down the catwalk (it had become wet from the humid evening). It?s a long powerful version of the song, I was in heaven!

Pride ends the first part and they come back for Bullet and Wowy which Bono ends with Stars in the same way as London four, keeps singin One heart, one heart, over and over again instead of One hope, one love. Before One he speaks about his father again and a picture of him shows on all four screens and during the song clips from the video, where Bob is acting, is shown and it ends with his name and his years. Very, very touching and emotional. Before Walk on Bono once again sing the beautful words ?when will I see you again, when will we share precious moments?.? I?m sure he was crying as most of us were, cause his voice were very shaky. Walk on ends the setlist and we try to get them onstage again but instead The unforgettable fire sounds from the loudspeakers and a firework in Milleniumclass is released and once again, to try to describe the feeling I had in this moment is impossible, it was just too much.

I try to find my friends I was going back to Dublin with and finally meets them. They are talking about the show in a very happy voice but I couldn?t say anything. I got the question ?Did you enjoy the show?? How do you answer such a question? Enjoy is such a small word. I was still in my own world and right now, all I wanted was to get back to Dublin and go to bed, I was so tired, both from the lack of sleep the past days and of all emotions that I had to deal with.

At 3am I?m finally back at my hostel. Imagine, 4.5 hour to travel 50 km?..

The next morning I?m still in a very strange mood. I just walk around the city, don?t know if I want to spend the day alone or with someone. If it would be with someone it has to be someone special and I know some that I would like to meet. Don?t know where they are staying though so I just buy a few newspaper and sit down in Temple bar. I sit for maybe five minutes and one of the ones I wished to meet comes and sit down with me. We wait another five minute and the other two comes. Amazing, the three persons I wished would pass, did so?.

We go and get something to eat and talks about the show, it was both laughters and tears and it felt great. We then take the DART to Killiney beach, just to relax and enjoy the beautiful day. After an hour or so we have to head back into Dublin again to meet up with a few others and get some food. We passes a record store and I buy the poster I had checked out earlier. One of my friends have to leave for the airport and it feels really bad cause that kind of put and end to the trip. The rest of us went out for an origial irish dinner though, some beer and irish music and I wished I could stop the time. I didn?t wanna go back to my hostel cause after that night I had to go back home, home where noone ever will understand what I just been through.
Well, the moment comes when I have to go. They follow me to my hostel and we sit down for another half an hour just charing memories, thoughts and feelings about the most precious in our life at the moment. Then it?s time, hugs and tears and I?m off to bed. The next morning I?m leaving ?holy ground? but with thoughts that I will be back, soon?. Seven hours at the airport in London gave me some time to collect my thoughts, I tried to put them down in words in my tourdiary.

6pm my flight back home to Gothenburg, Sweden takes off and this trip is over, the 11 most amazing, tremendous, undescribable, and worst days in my life. I think I went through more during these days then most people will do in their entire life. I will never ever forget these days and for the first time I actually have no need for another U2 concert. I have just experienced the ultimate one, any other concert will just be a shadow of this one. But I do hope in one way that this feeling will go away cause seeing U2 live is always an amazing experience better then anything else in the world?.

The end?.

------------------

"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

Miss Zooropa- All I can say after reading all 3 parts is WOW. What an amazing and unbelievable experience. I had a bad case of goosebumps during many parts of your story, you really made me feel the experience! In fact, I waited to write a little note to you 'til after reading all 3 parts, I must tell you that you have an amazing ability to write! Your trip is a dream! I kinda did a similar road trip to Rome in 1997 and walked 3 1/2 miles to get in and after 2 days of waiting, I too, had the best and the "worst" days of my life!
I really would love to go to Dublin, and what a great time to go, during Slane. You will never ever forget this experience, it's definitely ONCE IN A LIFETIME!
Cherish the memories! And thanks again for writing such an in-depth review of one of the best U2 shows ever! I just hope that we get to watch it on tv SOON!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
then the dream that everyone have been talking about, to get to hear them do A sort of homecoming in Slane, Oh, my God?again? That?s probably the most emotional moment ever in my life, I have no words?. Sorry, I wish I could describe it.

This bit hit me. I couldn't believe it when I found out they actually played it. You lived one of my dreams. I envy you
smile.gif
Thanks for a great review.

------------------
You say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

Wow, that is amazing Miss Zooropa. Your review brought tears to my eyes! I am so glad that everything worked out for you and you had this awesome experience. You've done something that people can only dream of! Thanks for your words!!!

Thanks for your comments, didn't know it was so touching.
Some parts were really hard to write cause there are so much more into it then is possible to put in words, see A sort of Homecoming and the firewroks afterward, specially.
By the way, you can hear a recording of A sort of homecoming from Slane here www.womanfish.com

Thanks again and I will try to get my pics up as soon as possbile but you've already beautiful ones where you almost can see the magic that was in the air. Look at the sky and how it surrounds them, never seen the sky like that...

Sara

------------------

MissZooropa, I just loved all 3 parts of your story. I really felt like I was there! I couldn't believe it about that security guard, I felt totally sick on your behalf!

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, and I'm so glad that everything worked out so beautifully for you in the end.

Back
Top Bottom