My last story - The night I (almost) met Bono........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
well, they do say 'save the best til last'.......so here goes.....
smile.gif

I know this all happened in 98, but what the heck, I will tell yas all anyway!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
I swear, I absolutely SWEAR this is all true????

As some of u may know, there are Heiniken Hot Press Awards in Dublin, but for 2 or 3 years ( I think) they had the awards up here in Belfast, (and Christine, if u read this, by God woman, one year LARRY WAS HERE!!!!!!!! And Im sooooooo sure it was his limo that had passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif
maybe not, but lets say so, lets feckin say so!!!!!!! That was also the night we had the PM from London over ? yada yada hoo!) anyway, BACK to the story!!!!!

My ex-mate, was and still is a BIG fan of Ronan Keating, right? So we were like, ?lets meet up near the BBC studio?, in case we spot him, and I was like, maybe one or two from U2 might be there! So we did meet up, an hour later than what was arranged, to find that some other famous folks were due soon, etc??.Well someone had turned round and told my mate Ronan had turned up an hour ago, just about the time we could?ve met and made our way down, so she was kinda like ?Told you he would?ve been down that time, that we should?ve met earlier!?, but she was really fine about it?????anyway I says ?come on til I check my email?, so down we dandered to do so, 20 mins later came back same way, bigger crowd of young ones now standing outside, and we were like ?Whay-ey, lets stand round a while and see who else comes????.so she and I stood on one side of the barricade by the BBC Studio windows???.and suddenly she noticed autographs by Ronan being handed out, so yea, shes straight over saying ?Can I have one? Can I have one?? Old lady dude goes off to get some more???next thing big limo pulls up and who should get out???????? WHY IT WAS MR B HIMSELF WITH HIS WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like ?FUCK!? OMG OMG!!!!!!!! I shouted ?Bono Bono!!!!? and fecking kicked myself for not having a camera with me??..I just could NOT believe my feckin luck!!!!!! Im standing there in a great big black coat with me hair tied back and a crap fringe ( I know, I KNOW, but have u ever seen the person and wish u?d looked BETTER?????? LOL!!!!!) Anyway, there he was, lookin like such in below piccie (cant find the one of him and Ali right now):

PERA.GIF

Ali looked gorgeous, simple and stylish??.Bono looked soooooo cool with them shades on??..me mate says, ?He looked right at u!?, Im like ?Aye right, no he didn?t!?, shes like ?He did! He did!?

LOL!

I just COULD NOT BELIEVE MY LUCK!!!!!!!! See there were 2 lines of girls and 1 lad up at the barricade, but enough space between to catch a glimpse of the sexy man????Ya know if it was something that hadda happened last week, I woulda had a placard up saying ?PLEBA Girls are the BEST!!!!!!!?

It was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad, the two of us got excited!!!!!!!!!! THEN that big eejit Shane McGowan arrived moments later, looking very tall!!!!!! I think those three were the only ones we managed to see (as far as I can remember)??..we both thought, ?Right well, lets head to the pub for a bit?, so we did, and the best thing was that this pub was just down a bit and facing the Europa Hotel, where the VIP party would be straight after????we sat up by the window, and had to wait for at least 2 hours before the whole thang was over, in fact, she had me go down and ring the BBC to find out where they were exiting from and where to and times, etc????.!!!!!!! The guy who told me was nice, but prob lied through his big ass!!!!!!!! ANYWAY, we sat, eagerly watching the time???her drinkin Miller and me drinkin lemonade (Im a lemonolic )???..then time came!!!!! Up and away we went just across the street to the entrance of Europa where some girls were standin, we were only there for like 5 mins (she was hoping to see Ronan arrive!), when suddenly this limo came past, turned the corner and a mad dash of us screamin and flyin round after it????.two lines had suddenly formed of screamin girls while for like a couple of minutes this limo was sitting there ??..us all wonderin who! Next thing, my mate had found her way to the front and I was behind the two rows??.the pressure against the barricades at the front nearly had them down! I was shouting over to security more concerned about that, as I didn?t want the young ones getting hurt if they did fall???then then THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAMBAMBAM!!!!!!! DOOR OPENS! Through the tiny crowd I see a leg fling out, along with a bottle of beer and feg???.and BONO crawls over it to get out???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There he is, all robed up, coming out to say hi and shake hands, I TRIED to get my hand out beyond the barrier two lines behind it, but it was feckin impossible, and you would either have to be A) Inspector Gadget, or B) be very, VERY lucky to have a long arm???in fact at one stage, my arm was so squashed and trapped amongst shoulders and heads, I wondered where my hand had got too????..Unfort it came back to me without having the opportunity to shake Mr B?s hand???..now I DID see his face, quite close up, his eyes were all over the place, and he didn?t really speak, just looked ?over? us all, shaking what hands he could?or chose!???he was kinda brief?.but that didn?t matter, just seeing him was enough, I did shout for 1 minute, screaming ?Bono, Bono, over here, over here!? But I could?ve shouted ?GET UR CHEST OUT FOR THE GIRLS, but I don?t think he would?ve heard it?????.., I still could not get over how ?tiny? he was, around 5ft 6, anyway!!!!!!!!! Naah wouldn?ty say tiny????just surprised????.that?s all?????.I was in sheer heaven and after all that ?quick-push-forth-shake-and-rock-back-again? moment I managed to catch my breath?????
A moment later, after he crawled back over that leg again to go round the back of hotel for party??(which for some reason, I was sooooooo convinced was Sparky?s! LOL!)?we were all like ?HOLY BOOGLES!!!!!!!? We all still hung around for 1hour or so, to try and catch anyone else, but he was the only one!!!!!!!!!! Boy was I lucky that night, or so I thought until my mate told me that she was looking for me the whole time he was outta da car, he shook hands with HER!!!!!! HER!??. YA HEAR ME???????? IF I HADDA, ????bejasus .&$&)(*$) bejasus f***????..IF I hadda been beside her, yes, my hand would still have been unwashed to this day???..in fact, wrapped in a tight glove! I kicked meself so hard at the missed opportunity, but yes, life can suck, esp at those precious ?seize-the-moment? opportunities?????however, she got to see her Ronan through a glass door getting into a car with his wife, so she had that, Ronan?s autograph and Bono?s handprints ???and me? NUTTIN!?????.we walked back round to the front again and these 3 girls, high as feckin kites, came over and one (with the eyes so wide u could just dive straight in there honey!), was so happy that Ash had signed on her belly???..she was moonin? man, boy, she was moonin?!

biggrin.gif

Went home with mate, had a big hot choccie drink, had a little cry, and went to bed, next day stacking up on newspapers on the event????????still on a high from the night before, but one I shall NEVER forget!!!!!!!!!

So, there ya go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great story Maddie! I know how you feel, I had 12 years of near misses trying to meet Bono... then it finally happened.
smile.gif

I know it will happen for you THIS SUMMER!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Wow Maddie!!! That's a kewl story girlie
biggrin.gif
*huuuuuuuuuuuuugs* man if I would have been there I would have squeeeeeeezed through anybody...LOL..that's so kewl tho, see living in Ireland you have more oppertunity to like run into the guys somewhere..

------------------
THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

Member and Creator of Larry's Angels Harley Club.

"I hit things for a living. I hit things and people clap!" --Larry

ani_larry.gif

Larry: Get me off this fookin booooooooos!

[This message has been edited by Mullen-Girl (edited 02-21-2002).]

MAddie, that was awesome!!!
You lucky lucky gal!!(not that lucky LOL)

How great is that? You got to see up close Mr. B and how er.... tiny he is!!!
I congratulate you!!! GO more often to pubs!!
biggrin.gif

And LMAO about the Show up some chest for the gals!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

great story

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

naah, I wont ever have an opp to see the man again........just like I wont see U2 again.................please understand.........I just dont ever see it........this is something I personally know.........so dont bite me..........cause I like to tell myself the truth.......

Originally posted by mad1:
........just like I wont see U2 again.................please understand
MADDIE!! Ya crazy Irishwoman, you make me laugh and love your madness, and then ya go and say somethin' like that! Sweetie, I don't wanna bite you, but you LIVE in Ireland, and I can only conclude you made some kind of decision not to see the band again. Which makes NO sense, I must be wrong, so what the hell are ya on about? Sorry, babe, if you don't wanna discuss it, but I am truly distressed. DO WHAT YOU LOVE! Just do what you love, that's all.
{{maddie}}

peace,
Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Back
Top Bottom