My daughter's friend made me so mad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
My 12 year old daughter's friend came over while I had the Boston show tape on. She said, "look at those old guys prancing around on the stage"- well I was fuming. She heard Beautiful Day, and she said "But wait a minute, those are the people that do Beautiful Day! I love that song, but now I can't like it because those guys are so old!"

WHAT??!! She liked the song, but wouldn't accept the band because they were 'old?' Is that unfair or what? Is there a limit as to what age a person has to be before you can listen to it? I'm so glad there are young people here who don't feel that way!

ah, but that's us young people for ya. i used to have friends in elementary school that used to tease me for being into U2. my best friend used to call Bono a girl because of his falsetto on Lemon....i used to get really upset. now, to each his own. i'm not offended if people don't like U2 for whatever silly reasons, it's their perogative.

*walks off singing 'My Perogative' by Bobby Brown*

Oi...I know the feeling...ppl at my school say they 'hate' U2...and yet they've never heard a U2 song before...o_O

it's the rap stars and teen poppies, they're brainwashing everyone!!! OMG...soon all the little children won't appreciate GOOD music and we'll all be forced to listen to Jay-Z, Shitney, and the Bullshit Boys when they start controlling the few good radio stations that are left out there!! OMG! Then they'll go for the record companies!!!

Oi Vey!!!!!!! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?! :scream:

*ahem* I'm not that paranoid..lol ;)

it's common knowledge that kids will dispise people the age of their parents to feel rebellious :eyebrow:

Not from the stars do I my judgment pluck...

hi, i'm 17...and i think they rock. my generation has real shit for music, and i can't find much real talent...not to say there isn't some, but i'm not impressed as a whole. thus i listen to u2 and classic rock...

She's only 12, after all. Give her some time. She's got a lot of growing up to do.

*thinks back to my taste in music at that age* :no:

Plain ignorance!

Just plain ignorance. Bono and the guys are NOT old!!!! MY boys are NOT old!!! Larry,Adam,Bono and Edge look better than most of the "teen dream" idols IMO. They are waaaaay more sexier than Justin Timberlake or Nick Carter or whoever is popular at the moment. 40 year old men are NOT old and the boys look good for the age anyway. I was impressed by how good Bono and the guys looked when I saw them in concert and Bono has the stamina of a 20 year old. He was doing numerous laps around the Heart stage, that's NO old guy right there! I don't care what anyone thinks, I think "older" men are sexy, and I think Bono,Larry,Adam and Edge are some of the sexiest if not THE sexiest men on the planet!!!! But I agree she's not old enough to know better. At 12 my crushes were Joey from New Kids and the guys from Milli Vanilli LOL, hey, I was only 10! LOL

Don't let that child get you down :cool:

Last edited:
I became a U2 fanatic when I was 13.

When I was younger than that, I worshipped New Kids on the Block.

Sometimes...us young folks come around...:D

Also.........

OMC, the_fly2002! Your sig is like a mile long! :eek:

Is that a bad thing?

Is that a bad thing? LOL

Sorry, I meant to say I was 12 when I liked New Kids On The Block and Milli Vanilli and the like, these days it's Backstreet Boys,N'Sync,O-Town......how many boybands do we need? LOL, only one.......U2!!!! (although I don't consider them a boyband)

Thats right they are a MAN band!

I have a few friends that don't like U2 because of the way that Bono acts while he is performing ie playing to the camera. But that doent bother me because not eveyone feels the same way that I do about U2. :cool:

Thanks girls, you're all cool! :cool:

I really never liked teen pop stars. All the girls I knew liked the Osmonds and David Cassidy but not me. When I was in high school I liked old guys, Paul McCartney and Wings, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin and all those. I liked some new stuff but no disco or pop stuff. I found out Leif Garrett was just a few days older than me and thought that was cool but never liked him. The first people my own age l ever liked were- U2!

Bonochick said:
I became a U2 fanatic when I was 13.

Me too. :yes: Oh, um, and I'm still 13. Ha ha..? :p

Anyway.. I honestly don't understand teenagers attitude. Where exactly does it say that no musician can keep making music after 30? (And a lot of people think they should stop at 25 :rolleyes: ) It makes me sick, and I hate the stupid stereotypes people force onto me -- they always act like I'm weird because I like U2 and I'm not into Britney and NSync. God forbid I have a mind. :rolleyes:

People just need to grow up. But, unfortunately, most people DON'T grow up. They stop maturing after age 10.

Thanks for understanding, girls. Most of you have been very sweet. ((((HUGS))))) to all of you who were so kind, you're nice, cool, and intelligent people! :)

I want everyone to know that I never had a fit on this kid or anything. It's just that I such shallowness does irritate me, so I came here where I know most of you know how I feel because I have seen MANY teenage girls and even some college students complain here that their friends just closed the door unfairly on U2 because of their age. I knew you'd understand what I mean. Most of you did, and I thank youi!:)

Last edited:
Re: Is that a bad thing?

the_fly2002 said:
Is that a bad thing? LOL

Sorry, I meant to say I was 12 when I liked New Kids On The Block and Milli Vanilli and the like, these days it's Backstreet Boys,N'Sync,O-Town......how many boybands do we need? LOL, only one.......U2!!!! (although I don't consider them a boyband)

I know, there are so many of the cookie cutter boy groups out there now they are running each other out of the market! Hopefully it might just kill the fad.;)

I dunno I never fell for the boyband thing, maybe because I had older brothers and sisters who wouldn't let me listen to that. However [confession] I did like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson[/confession] LOL. But I listen to a wide variety of music, just to keep things interesting. The whole "old" argument probably just a result of peer pressure. To like a song, but then not like it cuz they are "old," sounds more like a peer decision rather than a personal one.
It sounds like my 14 year old cousin, who on one of his notebooks wrote Korn all over it. I liked their music when it first came out and was like "Wow, what's your favorite song by them?" He kinda stuttered for an answer, so I think he just wrote it on his notebook because his friends did.

Fear not, when I'm a teacher, I'll mold and shape my class into U2 fans. I'll bring in my cb U2 and have them teach the class and make my students listen to U2 all the time. It will be fun. When I worked at a daycare for the year, I made it my little job to teach the children about good music. They giggled at me and said Bruce Springsteen was my boyfriend. Why am I going on bout this? I dunno. :tongue:

DML said:
They giggled at me and said Bruce Springsteen was my boyfriend.

[color=royal blue]*jealous* ;)

When I interned at a grade school, the 12 yr old boys laughed at me for reading Jim Morrison poetry :madspit:
[/color]

MonaVox said:

[color=royal blue]*jealous* ;)

When I interned at a grade school, the 12 yr old boys laughed at me for reading Jim Morrison poetry :madspit:
[/color]

That sounds like my son. He has a book of Morrison's poetry and took it to school too. He has always had problems like that because he likes classic stuff and good stuff like U2 better than Drowning Pool and System of a Down and crap like that!

GypsyHeartgirl said:

That sounds like my son. He has a book of Morrison's poetry and took it to school too. He has always had problems like that because he likes classic stuff and good stuff like U2 better than Drowning Pool and System of a Down and crap like that!

[color=royal blue]Can I have him?

Or wait, is he, like, 10?
[/color]

[color=royal blue]*sets up world-famous Boy Friend Audition Booth

UMD BOYS: *shudder*

WHAT'S WRONG WITH DRESSING UP AS A COWBOY?
[/color]

MonaVox said:

[color=royal blue]Can I have him?

Or wait, is he, like, 10?
[/color]

He's 16 and 6'3" with lots of dark blond hair. He's kind of in a band too. I think you and him would match up pretty good. I wish I could've taken you to the DC shows!

Back
Top Bottom