Music Rising honored with HALO Award!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
Gibson’s Music Rising Campaign Honored with Cause Marketing HALO Award

Music Rising, a campaign launched to replace the lost or destroyed instruments of the musicians affected by the Gulf Region hurricanes, received the Gold Cause Marketing Halo Award for Best Transactional Campaign at the fourth annual Cause Marketing Forum conference on Tuesday, June 13 in New York.

The campaign, launched by U2’s the Edge, producer Bob Ezrin, Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, The Guitar Center Music Foundation, and MusiCares has aided over 1,600 Gulf Region musicians. Gibson produced 300 exclusively designed Music Rising Les Pauls, which were sold by Guitar Center. The $1 million raised went directly to Music Rising, which was facilitated by MusiCares and the Gibson Foundation.

“The Cause Marketing Halo Awards demonstrate the good that can be done when businesses and nonprofits team up,” said David Hessekiel, president of Cause Marketing Forum, Inc., the program’s organizer. “It’s a competition in which we all win.” Cause marketing is the strategy of building mutually beneficial alliances between companies and causes.

“In 1990 cause marketing spending was a bit more than $100 million—this year it is forecast to top $1.3 billion,” said Hessekiel. CMFI produces an annual conference, as well as workshops, teleclasses, and causemarketingforum.com, a website that offers free resources to businesses and nonprofits interested in developing such programs.

“Music Rising was an initiative formed by passionate inaugural partners in the music industry and the desire to help people in need,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. “To date, we have helped many people regain their livelihood and our goal is to continue to help many more. The music of the Gulf Region can once again be heard throughout the world and represent the essence of one of the country’s richest traditions.”

Read on:
http://www.gibson.com/allaccessNewsItems.aspx?aliaspath=/AllAccess/Gibsons Music Rising Campaign

More on Music Rising:
http://www.musicrising.org/

From Music Rising blogspot:

Music Rising Receives Halo Award
Hi all!

The Awards were held last Tuesday in New York. Unfortunately, Henry and Caroline were in Nashville, Edge was in Europe and I was in LA so none of us could attend but Henry did a lovely video piece that was shown at the Awards dinner.

We're all really proud of this recognition of our efforts, but to Edge and me this award really belongs to Henry and Caroline and all the good folks at Gibson Musical Instruments who have given so much of themselves to make Music Rising a reality.

Henry (he'll probably blush at this) is the most committed and giving CEO that I have ever met. I wish that the rest of the country's business leaders had 10% of his heart and determination to make a difference. If they did, we'd have solved a lot of society's problems and would be far better off as a nation. But we're thankful that this CEO puts his money and his effort behind what he believes in and, though he's very quiet about his contribution, it is Henry's belief in this initiative that made it possible in the first place.

And Caroline has been Music Rising's mom :) She came up with the name, by the way. Edge and I were playing around with all sorts of ideas but the minute Caroline said "Music Rising" we said, "that's it!!!" She has done a truly remarkable job of moving us forward, creating opportunities for us and keeping us in the public consciousness. The marketing part of this "cause marketing" initiative is all her. And she's a big part of the "cause" bit too.

So, Henry and Caroline, this Award is for you . Congratulations to you both!!!!

Bob and Edge

June 14 (New York) –Music Rising, a campaign launched to replace the lost or destroyed instruments of the musicians affected by the Gulf Region hurricanes, received the Gold Cause Marketing Halo Award for Best Transactional Campaign at the fourth annual Cause Marketing Forum conference on Tuesday, June 13th in New York.

The campaign, launched by U2’s The Edge, producer Bob Ezrin, Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, The Guitar Center Music Foundation and MusiCares has since aided over 1,600 Gulf Region musicians. Gibson Guitar produced 300 exclusively designed Music Rising Gibson guitar which were sold by Guitar Center. The $1 million raised went directly to Music Rising which was facilitated by MusiCares and the Gibson Foundation.

The Cause Marketing Halo Awards demonstrate the good that can be done when businesses and nonprofits team up,” said David Hessekiel, president of Cause Marketing Forum, Inc., the program’s organizer. “It’s a competition in which we all win.” Cause marketing is the strategy of building mutually beneficial alliances between companies and causes.

“In 1990 cause marketing spending was a bit more than $100 million – this year it is forecast to top $1.3 billion,” said Hessekiel. CMFI produces an annual conference, workshops, teleclasses and causemarketingforum.com, a website offering free resources to businesses and nonprofits interested in developing such programs.

“Music Rising was an initiative formed by passionate inaugural partners in the music industry and the desire to help people in need,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. “To date we have helped many people regain their livelihood and our goal is to continue to help many more. The music of the Gulf Region can once again be heard throughout the world and capture the essence of one of the countries richest traditions.”

The Cause Marketing Forum also announced that The Home Depot and KaBOOM! each received Cause Marketing Golden Halo Awards for their leadership in this fast-growing field.

Read on
http://musicrising.blogspot.com/2006/06/music-rising-receives-halo-award.html

Last edited:
Nice mention Regina! :wink:

I'm uncomfortable posting on the message board on musicrising.org.

That's just a bit TOO close to Edge for me.

Edgette said:
Nice mention Regina! :wink:

I'm uncomfortable posting on the message board on musicrising.org.

That's just a bit TOO close to Edge for me.

Edgette, as one of the biggest Edgers that I know in this world, you´re a remarkable member in any place. You´re a member of Music Rising 'army' (it´s great see Music Rising logo, into your signature). I´m sure you have a lot (much more than me) to do at Music Rising. I wish see you on board of Music Rising, as I see here. I whish to learn, everyday, with you, the Edger who shows us the images of the heart and mind of Edge. Big Edge´s hugs just for you!

Last edited:
SUPPORT http://www.musicrising.org/

Edge and Bono danced on the tables...

Trombone Shorty longs for New Orleans
Musician has played with Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz and other big names
Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews has played for a million people in Rio de Janeiro.

He's toured worldwide with Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith.

Andrews just finished recording in New York with Harry Connick Jr.

Kings and royalty have heard him sound his horn all over Europe.

But there's no other place Trombone Shorty would rather be than the Big Easy.

"I've played all over the world," said Andrews, as he arrived in Glenwood Springs for today's Summer of Jazz performance. "New Orleans, that's my favorite place."

With his older brother James as his mentor, the now-20-year-old trombone player started playing at the age of 4 while growing up in New Orleans' Tremé neighborhood. The area, located a block from the French Quarter, produced jazz pioneers Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Jelly Roll Morton and Kid Ory.

"All I knew is that you could catch a brass band at 5 in the morning, any day, any time of the week. My brother took me around everywhere - clubs, venues and concerts to see people who had an impact on the music," Andrews said. "He took me under his wing. He wanted me to see all the great jazz musicians, and he took me all over the world. My brother's my best friend - he's been a father figure to me my whole life."

Andrews remembers playing on stage with Bo Diddley when Andrews was 3 or 4. He was given his nickname around the time he first began to play the trombone.

"The horn was taller than me," he said.

Andrews is a graduate of the New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, where he finished early his junior year. He has played with his band, Orleans Avenue, since his teens - when he's not touring with Kravitz or sharing stages with jazz greats such as the Neville Brothers and Branford Marsalis.

"Playing with Lenny let me know where I want to be. I think I learned a lot from watching Lenny and Steven Tyler. It was an amazing experience to watch them," he said. "It's like when Miles Davis saw Jimi Hendrix play - it changed him forever."

Touring has kept Andrews on the road for most of the last year and a half, although he was in New Orleans when Katrina hit.

"The day before the storm I was playing with my cousin in the Rebirth Brass Band. We played like two jazz funerals and a parade," he said. "We were supposed to play Tipitina's, but when they told us the show was canceled, that's when we knew it was serious."

Katrina caused Andrews' home to flood with seven feet of water. He literally drove out of town with the clothes on his back, two horns and a car full of family members.

"I gathered everyone I could - my mother, my sister, my niece, my cousins - and drove to Dallas. Some people didn't want to leave," he said. "About 85 percent of my whole family was still in New Orleans when the storm hit. I was the only one the whole family could contact because I had a satellite Blackberry. It was very painful."

Not long after Katrina, Andrews returned to touring with Kravitz. He recently finished his commitment and played the 37th Annual NAACP Image Awards with Herbie Hancock and others. During the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in April, Andrews caught up with an old friend from U2.

"This year at Jazz Fest I was hanging out with The Edge, who's a friend of mine. We met when I was real young," Andrews said. "He and Bono saw me play when I was 12 - I guess they danced on the tables."

For Andrews, music is an outlet that allows him to help his New Orleans neighbors.

"I've been very fortunate to be a musician, and I'm just excited to play music. I'm creating a foundation with my band to help other musicians play," he said. "As soon as I hit the stage, I forget about everything. I've been blessed, and I thank the Lord."

Read on http://www.glenwoodindependent.com/article/20060621/VALLEYNEWS/106210016

Back
Top Bottom