Mullen: The first one who will bolt out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Excerpts from Joe Whiley's show:

-------------------------------
Joe: How do you feel about this album?

Mullen: I went through a period ...... each song had a different memory, some of them were difficult ....now that I'm deconstructing the song and starting to relearn them, they (the HTDAAB songs) have lost little bit of the emotional thing ...

My take on the above line is that Mullen moved heaven and earth to avoid the question. He didn't mention a feeling when the question asked for a feeling. He chose a long winding answer that totally evaded the question. Yet he provided hints about songs having a difficult memory. Mullen also indicated that to practice the new songs, he has to listen to a recording of the album with the drum track on the left speaker and the song on the right speaker. That is everything short of admitting his unhappiness over the drum mix of the album - that he couldn't get to hear the drums loud enough so he needed his customized mix. Mullen also admits that Edge told him to revise his drumming style for All Because Of You. I guess it shows that Mullen is anything but the boss in U2. Even Edge gives him orders. Perhaps these are the difficult memories he is talking about.

------------------------------
Mullen: I'd much prefer to manage him (Mullen's 9 year old son as a football player) when he's 17 and get out of this rock'n'roll business.

So that's a maximum of eight years left for U2 as a band. If Mullen is still around during that time, it could only be two possible things: (1) he is not doing what he prefers and is an unhappy drummer with the band, or (2) he lost his son (health reasons or career-ending injury - God forbid; or through a divorce where he doesn't have custody).

When you look at the bigger picture, the entire totality - there is a pattern that emerges - even starting from the declaration by Mullen that he wants to start an acting career. The pattern or the indication that comes out of all this is that Mullen has been sending hints and feeders already that the end is near.

Sure Bono is now the high profile icon of U2. Edge is the unique guitar hero. Clayton doesn't really matter anyway. So where does that leave Mullen? As the powerless disgruntled nobody? I don't think so. What Mullen had giveth he can taketh away.

Mullen gave life to U2. He started U2 by the postings on the bulletin board in their school. So it should only be fitting that Mullen will be the one to take away the life of U2 as a band.

I thank Mullen for giving us a time frame (8 years) for the band to disband. It is actually better than to have a sudden death or disbandment. I wish Mullen luck in his acting career and football managing career and whatever future endeavors he wishes to embark up in the post-U2 era.

Cheers,

J

I think you are reading too much into his comments.

That said, in 8 years, U2 will all be 50 or older. In their early 40's, having them still rock is great. Do I want to hear them do this in another decade? Even I don't think so. Heck, in another decade, I might not even care about music that much or even U2! :ohmy:

I get the feeling you are young Jick. But as a person close to U2's age, I can relate to their thoughts better - and Larry makes perfect sense.

Jick, just a point - it's Jo, not Joe.

I get your point, but I agree that you're reading too much into this. I'm not worrying about the future of U2 right now. I just enjoy everyday that they're giving us as a band at the top of their game. Sure, they're going to split, but when it happens, it happens. As for now, i'm not going to speculate.

Last edited:
um Jick you do realise that U2 are more than just four guys in a band.. they are close friends and a unit your habit of trying to seperate them into their own little boxes just doesnt come of that well, even if they didnt play music anymore I don't think they would ever get fed up being around each other
I don't think there is a Hierarchy either that Edge could Boss Larry around.. I imagine they discuss things for what is good for the song or the album.. yeah things might get heated at times too, but I imagine its more like family squabbling than trying to pull rank on each other

I listend to the interview and what I got from it was four Guys who wanted to make good musiceach had their own opinioon how it should be done, the changes they had to make.. but in the end they all had one aim and goal and together the four of them pulled it of with style and were gracious to give each other credit for it

Nothing lasts forever, and shocking news, this includes U2. :wink: But, we will always have the music, and the memories, the pictures, and everything else we love. I'm not worried about the future, I'm enjoying the present. And presently, we have a new album and a new tour and more excitement than my nervous system is prepared to take. But that's quite OK. :wink:

Jick, I've noticed that most of the threads you start are regarding the end of U2, ...I hope you are a fan and would not want them to dissapear, because I don't!....Like some one else mentioned here...Let's just enjoy the music and enjoy them while we still have them!!.....I personally hope and pray that they go on as long as they want to *as a band* To me U2 is a gift!:wink:

doctorwho said:
I think you are reading too much into his comments.

That said, in 8 years, U2 will all be 50 or older. In their early 40's, having them still rock is great. Do I want to hear them do this in another decade? Even I don't think so. Heck, in another decade, I might not even care about music that much or even U2! :ohmy:

I get the feeling you are young Jick. But as a person close to U2's age, I can relate to their thoughts better - and Larry makes perfect sense.

Yes, even I don't think U2 can keep up for another decade and well into their 50s. I think they will make a final album on 2010, and then one last tour into 2012. By then 8 years from today would have already elapsed and Mullen's son will be 17 so he can be a football manager. That would also be a perfect closure to the Best Of 2000-2010. That would be something to have U2 release three best of's spanning three decades and two milleniums. That will be unprecedented and will never be surpassed. So I think Mullen's 8 years is a good ballpark figure. I think it would also be a good happy ending for the band if it will be Mullen to call it quits, after all he was the one who started it all.

Cheers,

J

Let's let this thread have a nice quiet death....and get back to more exciting things like hot pics....

Aaaargh matey's...there's mutiny afoot!
:wink:

m4u1y

Last edited:
Notice they wouldn't let Bono operate the boat on the Blender photo, Edge was "driving." I've heard about his driving in a car, does it apply to boats too? ;)

Do you say "driving" when operating a boat, not really a sail boat, so can't say sailing.

Oh J you bring such cheery thoughts to your posts here, as you used to bring to your messages in Wire. :down: :rolleyes:

I think this: (2) he lost his son (health reasons or career-ending injury - God forbid; or through a divorce where he doesn't have custody). was totally uncalled for. Don't start saying crap about any of the band members losing children through any means...what an awful thought! And by the way, as far as we know, Larry and Ann never married, so they couldn't divorce.

Clayton doesn't really matter anyway.

That is more absurdity.

Okay, I'm done feeding this troll tonight. :banghead:

mistyrose said:
Oh J you bring such cheery thoughts to your posts here, as you used to bring to your messages in Wire. :down: :rolleyes:

I think this: (2) he lost his son (health reasons or career-ending injury - God forbid; or through a divorce where he doesn't have custody). was totally uncalled for. Don't start saying crap about any of the band members losing children through any means...what an awful thought! And by the way, as far as we know, Larry and Ann never married, so they couldn't divorce.

Clayton doesn't really matter anyway.

That is more absurdity.

Okay, I'm done feeding this troll tonight. :banghead:

That's precisely why I said "God-forbid." Read the fine print next time.

Cheers,

J

is there any way what so ever we can stop jick from coming in here?

what if we had a poll?

digsy said:
is there any way what so ever we can stop jick from coming in here?

what if we had a poll?

Why should I not be welcome here? I think it was a very positive post on my part to thank Mullen for giving us a timeframe (8 years) rather than leaving us in the dark (uncertainty as to when U2 would end). We all want to know when U2 will retire, I'm sure. And the fact that Mullen announced a timeframe in BBC radio in front of millions of viewers, it is a good thing so that loyal and devout fans will not be caught by surprise one day when Mullen has retired from U2 and has transformed into a football manager.

Bono loves to leave things hanging. He is the worst guy to get quotes and promises from. He has been giving this "2 crap albums then we're out" bit but since when has Bono kept his promise anyway? But as for Mullen, we know he is no nonsense. What he says he does. So if he says that in 8 years he'd rather be a football manager than in rock`n'roll then U2 better start looking for a replacement drummer after the next tour - or consider disbandment.

Cheers,

J

Drum Mixes

Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time both int he studio and on the road, most drummers like to play with their monitors like that. Actually, most musicians like to have the overall mix on the right and themsevles on the left. It speaks nothing of his committment, or lack there of, to the album or it's drum mix.

there WON't be a disbandment

BUT...

U2 will NOT split up voluntarily

Enjoy this album ...it's no doubt the pinacle of their career...

there will always be U2 songs out there...there are so many unreleased for a start!

be nice to each other!!!

xxx

Last edited:
psychicsarah said:

BUT...

there will always be U2 songs out there...there are so many unreleased for a start!

be nice to each other!!!

xxx

That sure is tragic and depressing if U2 won't split up voluntarily.

Cheers,

J

I don't think U2 will ever officially break up. They'll just do less, depending on circumstances. They may officially "retire" in the future, but breaking up? I don't think so.

jick said:

Bono loves to leave things hanging. He is the worst guy to get quotes and promises from. He has been giving this "2 crap albums then we're out" bit but since when has Bono kept his promise anyway?

There hasn't been a crap album in U2's carreer. :eyebrow:

psychicsarah said:

BUT...

be nice to each other!!!

xxx

Whoops! My typo on the first reply. I mean it would be tragic and depressing if U2 split up INVOLUNTARILY.

An involuntary split up could always mean death, accident, feuding, or other fortuitous events. And it is usually tragic.

I prefer U2 to split up on their own terms and voluntarily.

Cheers,

J

psychicsarah said:
they won't split up

So if they won't how will they end? Death? Injury? I think splitting up is a much happier ending then the versions you seem to imply/suggest.

Cheers,

J

I'm NOT implying anything....

(you're doing the implying)

and I WON'T go further into what I see...

but it's all good...and for the best

Surely we can all agree that, after they've been through so much together in the last 25 years, and STILL remained friends and produced excellent work, that they're never gonna actually SPLIT? They will just announce that they will no longer record together. That's my take on things anyway.

Back
Top Bottom