More from U2 By U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, I ordered off Amazon.com - much cheaper.
Like when I was buying U2 at the end of the world, I got that AND Killing Bono off Amazon for less than it would have cost to buy just the Flanagan book from Borders in Queen St :|

I just ordered my deluxe also on amazon , so the deluxe is limited
and numbered . I don't understand why it won't be out till dec. 1 ,
that's so long to wait ! :scratch: well I'm sure it will be worth
the wait .

i have pre-ordered the book at www.play.com, along with the Zoo Tv special edition DVD.

it says the book will be released on 22/09/2006

and the DVD on 18/09/2006

DVD = £15.99
Book = £19.99

And no postage! :)

aski said:
i have pre-ordered the book at www.play.com, along with the Zoo Tv special edition DVD.

it says the book will be released on 22/09/2006

and the DVD on 18/09/2006

DVD = £15.99
Book = £19.99

And no postage! :)

So the UK zoo special ed . has zoo stickers , I haven't found any
websites that says the US special ed . will have stickers . :(

There was a rumour awhile ago that the special edition was to be signed AND numbered. Could that be why the delay and perhaps the added cost? I know with artwork, numbered pieces are always signed too..... (?)

^ I would just die and go to heaven if it was signed!! I feel giddy now with the thought of it!!!

I succumbed and bought the deluxe edition, Zoo TV cd AND Antons U2 & I book....SOMEBODY HIDE MY CREDIT CARD!!!!

^ :lol:

I just ordered both deluxe editions as well. And you are going to love the Anton book. I got it for Christmas last year... and I still look at it almost every day. :drool: It's gorgeous.

I had it on video years ago, but sadly lost it a few years back.....couldn't help myself when I saw the option to get it again ON DVD!!! WOOHOO!!!!

And, Antons book.....:drool: I tried to resist but failed.....

:drool: I want ALL your credit cards! :wink: Have fun and share, which I know you all will!

*mots counts pennies...and almost three dollars!!! :laugh: *

I wantt o buy the special edition, U2&I AND U2 at the end of the world, but the guy we met on holidays with the bookstore here(he HAS U2&I, first bookstore I know about) isn't replying to my email :sad:

:scream: I WANT THEM NOOOOW!

ahhhhhhh, it is gorgeous, those photos are :drool:

bonocomet said:
^ :lol:

I just ordered both deluxe editions as well. And you are going to love the Anton book. I got it for Christmas last year... and I still look at it almost every day. :drool: It's gorgeous.

Okay, here I am back at it.

By special request, for the Edge-ophiles:

"I was a very cute toddler; I've seen the photographs. But then at around the age of five something started to happen that radically changed my appearance. We are not talking here about some accidental injury or anything medical, but a gradual transformation. And I don't mean to suggest that I became one of the obviuolsy ugly kids, more that my appearance started to inspire a certain mild alarm in adults who caught sight of me for the first time, and to elicit sympathetic and vaguely disappointed looks from my parents. My head grew, quite quickly, to an unfeasably large size. It was not a disagreeable head, in certain contexts it was quite handsome, but from the age of five as a result of this unusual development I started to look unnervingly like the kid on the cover of Mad magazine. Along with the head came the teeth, or specifically my two big front teeth. When they first appeared sprouting out of my gums, I knew there was something up. Their size was obvious from the beginning, and they grew in with a kind of terrible inevitability. No matter what form of mouth management I employed there was just no hiding them, so by age seven the full 'Mad magazine' look was complete. This was made all the more difficult by the fact that my best friend Shane, a person from whom I was pretty much inseparable from the age of two, was a dead ringer for a young Paul Newman, complete with cornflower-blue eyes and perfect teeth. He knew it, as did everybody else. A year older than me, Shane was superpopular, a great athlete and in many ways my nemesis. I went through some very formative years as the proverbial ugly duckling with my mate Shane a constant reminder that I was nothing special. The upshot was that I grew even more shy and awkward. I think that kind of experience is either the making or the breaking of you. And in my case having a very supportive home life helped a lot, but I didn't see that at the time....
My sister, Gillian, was born in 1963 into our male-dominated household. It took us a while to get used to her. I think my nose was put seriously out of joint when she arrived. I was the apple of my mother's eye up until that point, or certainly until I started to grow the large head....
My brother and I always had a very close rapport, and very similar sense of humour and general outlook. We hung out together, created various types of homemade explosives, petrol bombs, built bonfires, went on joyrides with our friends in dumper trucks borrowed from local construction sites, all the usual sort of stuff. And if people didn't quite understand us, we understood each other. We were a bit of a handful but very good-natured. It was the combination of curiosity, wildness, lack of strict parental control, and access to a fully stocked school chemistry lab that led to our experiments, anything really to break the tedium of the Dublin suburbs of the 1970s....
My best friend Shane was in my class at St. Andrew's. I was a year younger than the rest of the class and it was decided during my final year that I wasn't old enough to graduate. Shane went ahead into the big school and we sort of lost touch with each other. I met him one day soon after he had started at Mount Temple and he told me about this wild kid in his class called Paul Hewson. He seemed to share our interest on high explosives; there was some sort of story involving a small fire and some riveting caps taken from the building site that was to become our new school. So I heard about Bono a couple of years before I even met him. You could say his reputation preceded him."

There's much, much more about his childhoood, and a really funny picture of himself and his friend Shane looking exactly as he described them both: one impossibly handsome, the other an Alfred E. Neuman dead-ringer. Hilarious! He's very droll, and very articulate.

Last edited:
You're welcome.

I accidentally posted that before I was finished typing. Hit the wrong key or something.:confused: Anyway, there's more, so go back!

Biff

Do you think you could make your way over to The Goal is Soul and answer those questions I had when you get a chance?:wave: God Bless!!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-"Crash" Soundtrack/Various
Song: "In The Deep" by Bird York

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

On his first marriage:

"We had a month off in July '83 so Aislinn and I decided to grab the opportunity to schedule our wedding. We had no money so Aislinn's dad paid for the reception. We went with tradition and opted for the bride's church, the Catholic church in Blackrock. This involved a series of sessions with our priest, since I was protestant, to make us aware of the basics: any children would be raised catholic, and if Aislinn appeared to be overspending on groceries I wasn't to get mad at her. Thus equipped for life together we were duly married on 12 July. We went on our honeymoon to Sri Lanka. We had a wonderful time at first and then civil war broke out. We spent a very nervous few days trying to get back to our hotel from a road trip, forced to drive along deserted roads after the midday curfew, only to discover it had been evacuated of all foreign guests. We had to wait a few days to get on a plane home. All of this was unfortunately portentious of how the marriage would go."

On Sian's illness:

Edge: "In early December (2004), we were shooting a video for 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' in Dublin when I got the news that my daughter, Sian, was very seriously ill. I told the guys, 'I've got to go'. From that moment, my world changed completely.

Bono: "Everything that we're about is community. The music comes out of the community. And so if somebody in the community has a trauma, all of us feel it. It threw everything. To see your mate with his heart broken and to see the bravery of this little seven-year-old girl...it was just an awful, awful moment."

Edge: "I don't want to go into too much detail. But my family went through some very intense times and Sian had to suffer through some awful experiences, which she continues to do with amazing fortitude for one so young. The strange irony is that when you spend a lot of time with your child in hospital you very quickly realize that there is always someone worse off than you. We always leave hospital with a strong sense of how lucky we are."

Re: Biff

U2isthebest said:
Do you think you could make your way over to The Goal is Soul and answer those questions I had when you get a chance?:wave: God Bless!!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-"Crash" Soundtrack/Various
Song: "In The Deep" by Bird York

You're in the queue, but there are a couple of people ahead of you, request-wise. :wave:

Re: Re: Biff

biff said:

You're in the queue, but there are a couple of people ahead of you, request-wise. :wave:

Thanks! No problem! Whenever you get a chance would be great. Btw, this might seem like a stupid question, but are you a man or a woman. The name is male, but you seem to post in PLEBA a lot. Just a question. Thanks!

About some early performance disasters:

Larry: "We played a gig during a break at a school disco, in the basement of the old school building. It used to get really hot and sweaty down there, and the walls would drip with condensation. As we were playing, The Edge decided to run up the wall. He slipped and fell flat on his arse. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry."

Edge: "In a moment of pure adrenalin, I tried to run up the wall, not realizing that this move might have been OK earlier on in the day but was now lethal, as the walls were dripping with sweat from a few hours of heaving disco. So I take a run at it and try to step up the wall but fail to get any traction whatsoever and my shoe slips and 'whack!', I end up flat on my back in the middle of the stage, still playing, in agony but pretending that it hadn't hurt at all.
We had lined up a gig up at the Nucleus, a little club in Raheny, but we played so badly at the school disco that the DJ who worked the the Nucleus, who was also from Mount Temple, wouldn't put us on. He insisted on coming to an audition. We played him some songs and very begrudgingly he put us on at the Nucleus. Before the show we decided to go and get drunk, because we knew that was what you did when you were in a rock band. So, as appalling as we normally were, we were just indescribably bad, and the sound was atrocious. We were in this tiny little prefab scout hut and we couldn't afford a proper PA. We recorded the show and a couple of days afterwards we listened to it in utter disbelief at what we were hearing. Bono was just bellowing and all you could hear was this really distorted noise that sounded like the early Stooges. Unfortunately I thnk we were playing an Eagles song. That was the same occasion Bono introduced 'Jumping Jack Flash' and my brother started playing 'Brown Sugar', getting his Stones mixed up. It was truly oine of the absolute low points. Everyone was out of tune. On the recording you can hear the DJ leaning in when we're halfway through the set saying, 'Would you ever just stop? Please stop! They're all sitting outside.' Listening back to that show, it was the first time I thought, 'Oh God, no! This isn't going to work.' We were so hopelessly inconsistent. One show would have that moment of promise and coming together then the next three would be utterly crap."

Back
Top Bottom