Moochie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sicy said:
Ohh sweet Moochie :heart: I really just want to cuddle and kiss her :sigh:

She's probly feeling a little weird from everything that's happened. I hope she does ok with the meds and food. I would put water bowls all over the house too :shifty: I'm sure you know you have to keep a close eye on her. Do you live far from work? I would try to stop in on your lunch hour to check on her if you can :heart:

Just glad she's home and I bet she's super glad to be home!! :D

I hope she's better tomorrow... she's kinda acting the way she did when I decided to take her in on Sunday... she didn't eat when she came home (but maybe they fed her before she left, I forgot to ask)...I still think she's walking funny, but maybe now it's cuz of her boo-boo leg. But she is drinking, so that's good. I don't live far from work, so I think I will stop home during lunch to see how she's doing. Heck, today we didn't have working computers cuz of that virus that's going around... if we still don't have working puters tomorrow, I'm just gonna come home and take a vac. day so I can be with Moochie :heart:

kellyahern said:
I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is sick. I hope that she feels better soon :) She is adorable :)

My kitty Worf will be 10 in October, she's getting to be a senior kitty too.

3384659923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D783%3D89%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E2323434%3B3%3C592ot1lsi

With all of us kitty lovers in PLEBA, Moochie has a lot of best wishes coming her way :yes:

Aw, Worf! :love:

I dunno, Moochie doesn't seem to be any better than when I took her in... she didn't eat last night, and so far hasn't eaten this morning. She's laying around in the same spots. I did take Sicy's advice and put more water bowls around the house, and she seems to be drinking, but she's just not herself so I dunno... I don't have a very good feeling about this. :sad:

shit :( Can you call the vet and ask if this is normal behaviour? She needs to eat something :sigh:

My vet wants me to force-feed Moochie. :|

I tried and it's not a very easy task to do alone, I got a few little squirts down her, but that was it. I wrapped her in a towel so she'd be easier to control, but it's so feckin' hot here today, I'm afraid I'm gonna overheat her if I sit there for an hour slowly feeding her. :|

I have such mixed feelings about this... I mean, is this force-feeding only temporary? Will she regain her appetite? There's no way I'm going to force-feed her for years or whatever, that's not a quality life, imo, especially when she doesn't like it. :(

:sigh: I'll keep trying to feed her tonight, but then I need some answers from my vet tomorrow... I can't keep doing this. :sad:

:sad: Poor Moochie :sad: I'm trying to get some answers for you on the cat forum :sigh: I dont think you should have to force feed her forever, no thats not right. I dont know if the vet should have let her go home just yet until she can eat on her own :(

well, according to them, she was eating on her own... and she was, that's what she was doing when I stopped to visit her Tuesday night, she was eating the k/d food, but since I've brought her home, she hasn't wanted anything to do with it, or her normal food (I tried offering her that, to see if maybe she was just not liking the kidney food)...she's shunning any food. :( I'm giving her meds that supposed to help settle her tummy and making eating better for her, but I guess it's not working :sad:

Tips for Getting Your Cat to Eat:
Warming the food in the microwave for a few seconds to room temperature or slightly warmer may make it more palatable (i.e. strengthen the aroma) to the cat.
Mix different low protein foods together. You just might hit on the right combination.
Mix dry foods together (one the cat likes with a low protein food). Place them in a closed container for a period of time. The scents mix together and your cat may be enticed into eating the low protein food.
Mix combinations of canned low protein food and canned commercial food together.
To improve flavor, mix:
water
tuna juice (salt-free and packed in water only, not vegetable broth which may contain onions)
clam juice
low-salt chicken broth (without onions)
beef broth (without onions)
with any of the foods.
It's a good idea to mix a little warm water with the food at any time because every little bit of fluid helps. Do not use bouillon as it's too salty
Cats won't eat what they can't smell. Try sprinkling a little garlic powder on the food to increase palatability and aroma. Warning: While not as dangerous as onions, garlic does contain a low concentration of the compound found in onions that causes anemia in cats. If garlic powder helps to get your cat to eat when nothing else will, then use it. Don't use it often and if you do use it, use it sparingly.
Sometimes cats can be coaxed to eat. Talk to the cat, stroke the cat, sit with the cat, then offer a plate of food and wait or try to hand-feed.
Try placing food on the cat's paws or mouth to 'jump-start' the cat.
Ask your veterinarian or check pet supply catalogs for flavor enhancers which can be sprinkled on food to entice the cat to eat.
To keep food fresh and palatable, feed small amounts at frequent intervals, particularly if your cat is a 'nibbler'.
If your cat likes 'people tuna', you can try mixing tuna and water in the blender to make 'tuna water' to mix with other foods.
Try mixing a tiny bit of catnip with the food.
Experiment and be creative.

btw have Moochie drink bottled water, not tap water.

I got the above from this site. There's a lot of information here maybe it can help. :hug:

http://www.felinecrf.com/map.shtml

And btw you can tell if they're dehydrated by lifting up the scruff of the cats neck with your hand and let go, if it falls back down into place she's ok, if it stays up longer than a second or two, she's dehydrated.

Also a suggestion from a friend on the cat forum who's cat has crf

Sicy, I have a suggestion that might help Moochie. Since she will drink but won't eat, ask your friend to try giving Moochie a small amount of wet cat food that has had more water added to it so it is really soupy and has the consistency of water rather than food. Hopefully, it will work and your friend will be able to get a little more nourishment into Moochie!!!

Last edited:
Aw poor Moochie - my aunts cat wouldnt eat for a few days when it had an operation but it started eating again of its own accord after about 3-4 days - maybe it just needed to get used to being back at home

Sick animals :(

:banghead: I think I f*cked up!

When I came home this evening, Moochie looked a lot better, she actually came and greeted me at the door (something she does ALL THE TIME but stopped doing since she hasn't been feeling well) and then I took out the garbage right away and she came to the top of the stairs and watched me (again, she ALWAYS goes with me to take out the garbage, she doesn't go outside, but she'll go down the stairs with me and sit and wait at the door downstairs till I'm all done, she actually gets anxious when she sees me tying up the garbage and getting it ready cuz she knows what that means.) so even though she didn't go down the stairs, she did come to the top of the stairs, and she just LOOKED better, ya know?

So, why then, didn't I try feeding her then? Cuz I'm a dumb arse, that's why. :mad:

Instead, I gave her the med first, the one the vet gave me that's supposed to ease her tummy and make it easier for her to eat... I've been giving it to her 3x's a day, and I'm wondering if that's what's making Moochie feel bad. I gave it to her and she drooled heavily (I forgot to mention that to my vet, but you can bet it's at the top of my list to do tomorrow) and then she started looking not too well, and now she's back to laying in the bathroom and looking yucky. :(

:sigh:

Damn :| :sad: Call the vet and tell them this as soon as possible.

Try some of the tips I posted about getting her to eat. She needs to eat.

I just read this, I'm so sorry erised :sad: :hug:

Maybe it's the medicine that's making her feel back, I hope so. I know I've had anti-nausea medicine before that has made me feel worse.

bonosloveslave said:
What drug are you giving her?

She came home with both Clavamox (1ml twice daily) and Cimetidine (0.3ml 2-3 times daily as needed).

Yesterday, when I called and told them she wasn't eating, they told me to stop giving her the Clavamox but to continue the Cimetidine. And like a dumb arse, I forgot about her drooling reaction to the Cimetidine until I gave it to her again. :sad:

This morning, I didn't give her the Cimetidine and offered her some k/d. No interest. I offered her some of her regular food and she actually ate a tiny bit all by herself! :happy: Of course, not as much as I would've liked, and I'll probably force feed her a little bit of k/d before I go to work in a few, but I thought that was great that she ate a little bit of food on her own! :applaud: Granted, it wasn't the k/d, but at this point, I'm just concerned about getting something in her stomach.

Actually, the drooling is a common cat reaction to many pills/liquid meds that taste bad - and it's purely because it tastes bad.. Try mixing it with tuna water to help mask the taste.

I know you have a lot of new factors going on here, but alot of animals don't eat as much when it's hot, and boy has it been hot! That may be part of the problem. Try mixing some tuna water with the k/d and see if that helps. And like I said, if she absolutely refuses it, there are other kidney diets to try. Your vet may not carry them all, but they should be able to call another clinic to get you a different kind to try.

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:
Actually, the drooling is a common cat reaction to many pills/liquid meds that taste bad - and it's purely because it tastes bad.. Try mixing it with tuna water to help mask the taste.

I know you have a lot of new factors going on here, but alot of animals don't eat as much when it's hot, and boy has it been hot! That may be part of the problem. Try mixing some tuna water with the k/d and see if that helps. And like I said, if she absolutely refuses it, there are other kidney diets to try. Your vet may not carry them all, but they should be able to call another clinic to get you a different kind to try.

:wave:

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to go home for lunch and check on her, and then when I return to work, I'm going to call my vet and she what they have to say.

I wanna find out if any of the kidney food comes in seafood flavors. Mooch have never liked poultry-based food. She's always been a seafood gal :wink: And I've already tried mixing the k/d with tuna water as well as clam juice and neither interested her. But I'll try it again when I go home during lunch and see what happens.

erised, I split the big thread so that Moochie has her own thread. :heart: That way you can keep updating us here, if you dont mind. :)

And yes, no need to apologize.. I know I personally care very much about what's going on with Moochie.

Sicy said:
erised, I split the big thread so that Moochie has her own thread. :heart: That way you can keep updating us here, if you dont mind. :)

Updates are that she's still not really eating on her own. I've been trying to force feed but it breaks my heart everytime I do, and I don't think she's getting enough food that way. I have an appointment to see the vet this morning, so we'll see how that goes.

I've had very bad thoughts... I've actually wondered if Moochie would be better in kitty heaven than going through this, especially since she doesn't seem to be getting better. :sad: So I honestly don't know what's going to happen today, I think it's going to be a rough day. My stomach has been in knots all week...I'm making myself sick over this whole thing. :(

All I've got to say is, thank goodness for Belle. She's giving me so much loving this week, since Moochie hasn't been up to cuddling. Last night, when I went to sleep, I sleep on my back and I put my hands under my pillow (as if kinda putting them behind my head) and Belle came up to me and tucked herself (her two front paws anyway) right in my arm pit, so her face was really close to mine, and it just felt so nice....it's like if she knew I was really sad and needed some comfort. :)

Jenn, you can ask the vet about appetite stimulants, there are a few we use in cats in situations like this. It's another pill, but often you don't have to keep them on it very long once they get going with eating.

Only you know when the right time will be, it's not an easy choice. You've been through a lot in the last few days and I know it's overwhelming, it's ok to give it a little more time too :hug:

bonosloveslave said:
Jenn, you can ask the vet about appetite stimulants, there are a few we use in cats in situations like this. It's another pill, but often you don't have to keep them on it very long once they get going with eating.

Only you know when the right time will be, it's not an easy choice. You've been through a lot in the last few days and I know it's overwhelming, it's ok to give it a little more time too :hug:

Thanks for the advice :hug: I don't wanna give up on her too soon, but I don't want her to suffer either, ya know?

Back
Top Bottom