Money raised for Africa 'goes to civil wars'.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
:crazy: This was in the New Zealand Herald this morning :madwife: how dare they ruin my day!! :lol:

scan0026-1.jpg

scan0024.jpg

or you can read it online at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10509966

Good thing about NZ being so small is that if you have any 'concerns or corrections' about articles you can email them :evil:

:madspit: What an utterly crappy and badly researched article. It's ok to be anti Bono and U2, which is obviously the case here, but people running their mouths could at least get their facts straight and do some research. Saying that Bono knows nothing about economy is simply dumb.

I'm used to negative articles like that, we have newspapers here that come up with stuff like that once in a while. It's sad that instead of focusing on the world's problems people have nothing else to do but bash people like Bono or Geldof, just because they don't like celebrities.

I won't pretend to know anything about the "Politics" in these countries but one thing i do know, Bono, Bob And The UN wouldn't hand their cash over to Anyone.

And i'm sure the UN already work closely with "International Relief Organisations" and have people that know how these counties work

As for "Bono is repeating what he has been told about Africa. I am sure Bono hasn't got a clue about economics."

Dr Loretta Napoleoni you better watch out :madwife: :angry:

What a piece of crap! Not only is so much of that just not true, but its so blatently just a bash at Bono, Bob, and Jeffrey (ahh, poor Jeffrey :sad: ) trying to pretend to be real investigative journalism. The opinion of one lady is NOT gospel. :madwife:

Utterly fails
:down:

:giggle: I just emailed the journalist and told her to get off her high horse, open both eyes, and do some REAL writing, instead of writing one eyed bullshit like this!! :lol:

If you click on the link at the bottom of the article where it says you can email so-and-so.....and you can share your views on the article, direct to the journalist herself.....:shifty:

Wow, nowhere in those excerpts from the book the author is quoting does it mention the GLOBAL FUND which is where the money is going now.

That is an example of very poor journalism, they pulled quotes from a book to get the most reaction out of people.
I am not defending this book, but can you see how the quotes were take randomly out of context?

Wow, total garbage.
:|

The problem with all these aid bashers is that they lump all the money ever given to Africa in the same boat and claim it has all been wasted, stolen, funded wars, etc. The truth is that yes, for many years aid money and loan money was improperly used and stolen by corrupt governments, and yes the original Live Aid money was also a victim of the corruption of the regime in Ethiopia, but the ways that aid and debt relief are being handled now are vastly different from what was done before. It is very easy to criticize when you look at the entire picture for the last 50 years but what these journalist should be doing is reporting on what has changed over the last 10 years. Bono would not have been able to get the commitments from governments that he has gotten if the money was not being handled significantly better. The Global Fund is a great example and the info on the (RED) money in that is easily available on the web site so it ticks me off when people say they don't know how the money is being spent. The grant details are available right there. The Millenium Challenge account grants are also very carefully handled which is why Bono had such a row with George Bush over how slowly the money was being handed out until he realized that if they screwed up and weren't careful it would endanger the whole program. Debt relief is not just waving a magic wand and the debt goes away like some of these idiot report it. The countries have to go through a very stringent application process and then the money freed up from debt relief has to be spent on certain things or they don't get to stay in the program. I get really sick of these idiots blaming Bono for the last 50 years worth of aid corruption in Africa when he is one of the main reasons that shit is getting straightened out in the continent. Is it all perfect yet? NO. But it is being addressed and improvements are made and Bono is the first one insisting that corruption must be dealt with both in Africa and in the West.

Dana

yeah there was this guy who came up to me in NYC when i was outside of sothebys at the red auction. he was trying to prove to me that AIDS is something made up by the government & that we're sending money over to Africa and treating a disease that doesnt exist. when we need to be using the money to stop poverty.
we had a nice arguement

gluey said:
If you click on the link at the bottom of the article where it says you can email so-and-so.....and you can share your views on the article, direct to the journalist herself.....:shifty:

Thanks gluey, I think I'll do that. :wave:
These kind of articles need to stay on the blogosphere where they belong - not in real newspapers! :madwife:

EdgeIsTooSexy - that is un-friggen-believable. Gosh, some people. :tsk:

And great comments Dana, you are absolutely right.

What a bitch! That article is just an excuse for her to criticise Bono (and Geldof to a lesser extent) and was nothing but a pile of horse shit filled with ill informed babble ...

Its amazing what some people can get away with saying just because they are a doctor of something ... She may be an "expert" on terrorism, but she's full of rockin horses shite, as is that article.

(I apologise for my language, but that really annoyed me)

I don't personally care if the author of the book spats crap about Bono. By using him as an 'example' she just proved that she isn't a member of PLEBA and hasn't done her Bono research. :lol: What bothers me about the article though, is that it didn't provide any substantial facts about the apparent money going to these civil wars in Africa. The title doesn't fit the article. :shrug:

^^^Indeed. And the use of the expression "tax evasion" is actually libelous. However one might feel about what U2 did re taxes, it wasn't evasion, which is ILLEGAL.

Offensive.... :|

Sometimes need to research what the heck they write about about really well. Civil wars in Tanzania???? When did they happen? Someone tell me please.

rihannsu said:
The problem with all these aid bashers is that they lump all the money ever given to Africa in the same boat and claim it has all been wasted, stolen, funded wars, etc. The truth is that yes, for many years aid money and loan money was improperly used and stolen by corrupt governments, and yes the original Live Aid money was also a victim of the corruption of the regime in Ethiopia, but the ways that aid and debt relief are being handled now are vastly different from what was done before. It is very easy to criticize when you look at the entire picture for the last 50 years but what these journalist should be doing is reporting on what has changed over the last 10 years. Bono would not have been able to get the commitments from governments that he has gotten if the money was not being handled significantly better. The Global Fund is a great example and the info on the (RED) money in that is easily available on the web site so it ticks me off when people say they don't know how the money is being spent. The grant details are available right there. The Millenium Challenge account grants are also very carefully handled which is why Bono had such a row with George Bush over how slowly the money was being handed out until he realized that if they screwed up and weren't careful it would endanger the whole program. Debt relief is not just waving a magic wand and the debt goes away like some of these idiot report it. The countries have to go through a very stringent application process and then the money freed up from debt relief has to be spent on certain things or they don't get to stay in the program. I get really sick of these idiots blaming Bono for the last 50 years worth of aid corruption in Africa when he is one of the main reasons that shit is getting straightened out in the continent. Is it all perfect yet? NO. But it is being addressed and improvements are made and Bono is the first one insisting that corruption must be dealt with both in Africa and in the West.

Dana

Exactly! I try to explain this to my classmates in college and they dont get it either. Of course, aid given in the past was sent to corrupt regimes that funded wars, dictatorships, terrorist groups, etc, but as you point out, things have changed. Great job of detailing the corruption controls on the millenium development fund as well as the fact that much of this aid goes to NGOs who are on the ground delivering services. The new approach is to not care who gets the money, govt or not, rather, who can effectively provide the treatment, build the schools, teach about safe sex, etc. No one ever gets into the real reason so much 'humanitarian aid' was given to corrupt dictatorships- the Cold War. Whoever took the side of the West against the Soviets and their sphere of influence got the money, dictator or Mother Theresa, it did not matter. Same for the Soviets, they just gave to whoever would support their cause. Not saying it was right or wrong, just that it happened, and Bono alludes to it as well.

Bono does not understand economics had to be the one that got me the most. U2 have been selling albums and touring since the early 1980s dealing with major profits and making major business decisions w/ a group of basically themselves and Paul McGuiness only. Anyone who listens to an interview from 1980 with Bono can tell that he was/is a brilliant person who always thought big and was always wise beyond his years. In addition, he has opened his own hotel, started a venture capital company, started RED, the list goes on. Of course he understands economics, he is a businessman. Coming from someone in the media, that is just hilarious as they are all notorious for not understanding or wanting to understand a thing about economics(no less than Ted Koppell admitted this during the 2000 presidential election campaign). Jeffrey Sachs may have helped Bono understand the inner workings of the organizations who control the money- the world bank, the IMF, etc, but that is to be expected as Sachs is a developmental economist who makes a living out of understanding and critiquing these organizations. It is quite possible that an economics professor who focuses on United States macroeconomy as well as on money and banking in the US and Europe would not feel comfortable meeting directly with heads of the IMF and the WB (as Bono has done) without consulting someone of Sachs expertise in that particular field. This "journalist" clearly has no idea what she is talking about. Bono is one of the few celebrities whose heart, head and money are all right where his mouth is. And for alot of people, that is literally a lifesaving gift. I get so pissed off at all the people who say they are sick of Bono being portrayed as a savior. Lets look at the facts: his work, his power of persuasion and eloquence is on the record as having convinced many people who control the purse strings of the merits of debt relief, millenium development goals, better trade laws, the list goes on. In addition, the RED funds and much of Bono's own money has gone directly into providing lifesaving drugs, education, homes and clothes for people living in extreme poverty. No individual on the face of this earth except for Bono meets both criteria that follow: 1.)They care about and do something about this issue 2.)It comes from their moral compass and life experience and not from political expedience or outside persuasion of the moral significance of attention to such issues. Many meet the 1st criteria- President Bush, world leaders, but they had to be convinced. Clinton meets 1.5, as he started the Clinton Global initiative only after pressure while in office, etc. I hope I make sense here, but my overall point is that no indivdual has done more to give this issue prominence among the people that actually control the distribution of money and power in the world. Without this, all of those wonderful, truly blessed workers on the ground in Africa would have much less to work with and more would die. Many have said as much, and thats all on the record too.

These people are so full of it. Senators, Presidents, experts in business, health, religion, the list goes on have all attested to the fact that Bono is not just some sloganeering, fist in the air drunken rock star railing against poverty to get a few cheers from hippies or college kids. In fact, they have all said he knows as much about business as a venutre capitalist, as much about AIDS as a public health official, as much about development and trade as a trade official, etc. I find this very easy to believe and not in the least bit hyperbole because of what I have seen the man speak and write. First, the passion of U2's lyrics, overall songs, etc, granted, Edge, Adam and Larry are integral to this, but Bono writes alot and is inspired by alot. Next, listen to any interview done with Bono, witness his history of working in Africa, directly with people living with these conditions, etc. It is clear he is a brilliant person who is truly passionate about the music. The level of passion in U2 songs can easily be extended, and is to Bono's other endeavors. In fact, it takes a driven, committed and passionate person who throws oneself into their what they are doing wholeheartedly to get to the level of fame U2 is at. Contrary to what some say, it is alot more about work and commitment and having a clue in life than it is about luck. This goes for Bono, Bill Clinton, Jeffrey Sachs, Bill Gates or anyone of us.

Long story short, I really enjoyed your post and I am as fed up with all of the Bono bashing as you are. :)

biff said:
^^^Indeed. And the use of the expression "tax evasion" is actually libelous. However one might feel about what U2 did re taxes, it wasn't evasion, which is ILLEGAL.

Very, very true!! I have people say he is a tax evader and a piece of crap, to which I respond with a timely couple of examples.

Remember:
1.)Ed and Elaine Brown, the two nutjob Libertarians in New Hampshire who decided the federal income tax was unconstitutional and they were not going to pay it. This despite the fact that the American taxpayer funded roads, education system, infrastructure of communication, etc had allowed them to live very well as Dental practicioners, but I digress. What happened? The US Marshalls arrested them, and without the promised standoff they kept threatening.
2.)Wesley Snipes decided the same, he is off to jail and regrets it.

I ask them, "is Bono in jail?" Is Larry in the prison gym working out and playing drums? Is Edge hanging w/ the rap gangs in jail, working on a hip-hop mysterious ways remix? Is Adam in jail selling cigarettes and lamenting the lack of 'poshness' in the prison uniforms but otherwise having a great time? Ok, then U2 are not tax evaders. They simply did what any international business does and that is place their profits where the tax situation was the most favorable. Why the hell should U2 Ltd, the company that handles album sales and royalties from airplay have to be based in Ireland when its revenue comes from almost every country in the world? It only accounts for 1/3 of their income, all of the rest is taxed in Ireland and at a much higher effective rate for individuals than we are used to in the United States.All band members live in Ireland, Bono's hotel is in Ireland- they contribute more than most, maybe any Irish citizens to the Irish tax base. Maybe a few corporations contribute more, I dont have time to look it all up, but for individuals, U2 members are certainly at the top, even after this perfectly legal tax move.

i am sure the janjaweed and al qaeda are armed with anti-retroviral drugs and bednets right now.

as bono says, it is easy to criticize from the sidelines without every involving oneself in the issue and never being responsible for comments.

I don't usually respond to articles such as this, but this was just too much and I emailed her to let her know that I hope her 71/2 minutes of internet fame makes her happy because she is just on the bashing bandwagon that make's her no better the "celebrity for a cause" that she's accusing Bob and Bono or even Brad-Angelina, of for that matter. Anyone can put out stupid opinions such as hers, and have no research to back up.
I instructed her on where to go for the research that she didn't bother too do in the first place, just in case she decides to write another article, she can have the facts straight.
Surely you don't want more people laughing at you, now do you? I told her. :wink:

rihannsu said:
The countries have to go through a very stringent application process and then the money freed up from debt relief has to be spent on certain things or they don't get to stay in the program.

Dana

Exactly. Corruption is a big issue, how dumb would Bono be to not make sure that the money is being spent on the right things. I would love to know where that jorno gets her facts from.

Just watch the latest Bono video and interview posted here some days ago and/or read the Observer article that gives a REALLY good insight into this issue. To say Bono and Co. don't know anything about economics, corruption and so on is simply ignorant. They are taking very good care where the money is going and which projects it is spent on. And this is absolute crucial, because IF something the writer is saying is right, it's the fact that a lot of money in the 80s went to waste because people didn't understand the mechanisms of giving aid to Africa. But now it's different and there is so much that has been done, and so much that still needs to be done. People bitching around without knowing the facts really aren't any help.

The trouble with these kinds of articles based upon opinions, half truths and inaccuracies is that they make it even harder for people like Bono to get the job done of helping those really in need. Coz unforutnately there are plenty of people who are only too willing to believe in this kind of crap, as it serves to validate their own ignorance of the issue! :tsk:

The Sad Punk said:
I don't think this article is the opinion of the journalist.

And you know this how? No where in the article does the journalist even indicate that she disagrees with any of the claims made by Ms Napoleoni. :shrug: And even if even you're correct, that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Which was, just by reporting these kinds of opinions (be they the journalist or the person they're writing about or both!) half truths and inaccuracies is enough to do major damage. :|

Last edited:
hcbiggs2002 said:

And you know this how? No where in the article does the journalist even indicate that she disagrees with any of the claims made by Ms Napoleoni. :shrug: And even if even you're correct, that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Which was, just by reporting these kinds of opinions (be they the journalist or the person they're writing about or both!) half truths and inaccuracies is enough to do major damage. :|

I wasn't replying specifically to you, I just thought there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary hostility towards the journalist. She did not state she disagrees, but she did not state she agreed, either. It was her job to write that the author of a controversial new book is attending a festival in Auckland, and that's all she did.

Back
Top Bottom