model behaviour pt8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
Anneka couldn’t quite believe that Laurie, was standing in front of her smiling somewhat nervously. She had been totally unaware the woman was in the same room.

But then it had been a fairly large function room with over a hundred people attending it was hard to keep track of everyone who could be there, she had just not expected Laurie to be in New York of all places when she now resided in Canada.

“I know you probably think I have some nerve, coming over to you like this” Laurie spoke up in a low urgent tone, “I got a last minute invite to this charity lunch, and I had no idea you would be here, otherwise I would have not have come, in fact, when I saw you arrive through the door earlier, I panicked and found myself hiding in the ladies room just to avoid facing you” she then confessed letting out a small laugh at what she considered the ridiculousness of the situation

Anneka still found herself unable to move or speak in response to this, Laurie looking extremely awkward, continued

“Then I told myself that I was being stupid, we couldn’t going on avoiding each other forever, and I would have to face you sometime, and its been over five years so much has happened since then, maybe it was time I stopped trying to run away from what I done. So I decided to take the first step and confront you here, before I lost the nerve again”

“How noble of you” Anneka finally found her voice, but it sounded rather strained as she endeavoured to keep her cool. It would not do to lose it here of all places with camera’s and the press everywhere.

“But I don’t think this is the time or the place, do you? And I have no desire to have any kind of confrontation with you here in public” she informed her, having no wish to talk with Laurie right now recalling the hurt and betrayal she had felt just looking at the woman, and not certain she could contain herself in her presence.

Had Laurie honestly thought she could come over with some sort of apology and explanation, and talk about letting bygones be bygones, and everything would be wonderful? That they could kiss and make up?

For Anneka it wasn’t that simple and she was not going to let Laurie force her into some sort of public reconciliation just to make her look good.

“If you find it too humiliating to walk away right now, perhaps I will save you the bother and leave myself” she told her quietly

“Oh yes that would not be humiliating, having you publicly snub me by just walking away” Laurie remarked

“Well it’s certainly not as humiliating as having someone you considered a good friend run of with your husband” Anneka couldn’t help retorting back, and had the satisfaction of seeing Laurie unable to reply and lower her gaze.

Deciding she had had enough of the charade, realising her other friends around the table were watching on Anneka hastily excused herself and walked away, heading for the exit,

Her heart hammering in her chest, she just wanted to escape, Despite this, as she walked away she tried to give the appearance, she was in full control and composed as she left the room and not falling apart inside. Being a public figure she had become an expert at mastering the art of hiding what was really going on inside her. All she wanted to do was get as faraway from here as possible.

But it seemed now that Laurie had started this this whole thing, she was determined to finish it, as Anneka discovered when she almost reached the main exit door of the building. Laurie had come out to catch up with her in the hallway grabbing her arm, she was only thankful at least there were not many people about.

“Anneka I really need to talk to you” Laurie insisted

“And I told you I don’t want to make a scene in public, and I don’t have anything I want to say to you” Anneka replied pulling free from Laurie’s grip, feeling her patience slipping away the more she faced her remembering what she had done.
She turned to try and walk away

“Don’t you even want to know why I ran of with your husband?” Laurie then demanded bringing Anneka to a halt, because it was the one question that had always stuck in her mind which had never yet been answered satisfactorily. As she turned to face the dark haired Laurie she could not hide the frostiness in her tone.

“Are you going to tell me you had a good reason, and that makes it all O K? If so, yes I would love to hear it” she eyed her challengingly

Laurie had the grace to flush and shift uncomfortably “It-It was complicated” she tried to explain

“Isn’t it always” Anneka retorted.

“Look I am not making excuses for what I done, and yes perhaps I did have my reasons at the time, which I say are justified now, judging from what I have heard and seen lately” Laurie replied

Anneka frowned in total bewilderment, “What do you mean? what have you heard or seen lately?” she demanded

Laurie almost seemed defensive now as she answered, “You and Bono of course”

“Me and Bono?” Anneka’s frown only deepened, still not understanding what Laurie was implying

“Oh c’mon, the two of you making public appearances together, hiding behind the charity stuff.. I know what is really going on, I am only surprised you waited this long” Laurie stated

“Oh you do?.. I wish you would enlighten me also, because I do not have a clue what you are talking about” she informed her in frustration.

Suddenly Anneka wasn’t concerned about the fact the two of them stood in a public hallway having this conversation, she was too busy wondering what Laurie was insinuating. She wanted to know exactly what she was trying to say and how it had any bearing on what happened over five years ago.

“Oh please, don’t try and tell me you never knew Bono had a thing for you? He always has” Laurie exclaimed

Anneka just blinked in disbelieve at the woman before her, wondering if she was hearing right, then found herself laughing at the idea of it, “That’s the most ridiculous thing I have heard from you yet” she scorned, “There was never anything going on between me and Bono, not in the past, nor now, except friendship, if you are implying we were, or are having some sort of affair.. You are way offline” she warned hotly

“Oh I know Bono wouldn’t try and have an affair with you when we were married at the time, he had this strange sense of honour, but that didn‘t mean it hadn’t crossed his mind either” Laurie deftly put in, “But I was not blind or stupid, I seen the way he looked at you when he thought no one was paying attention, and there you were a beautiful glamorous model with perfect face and figure.. How could I compare or compete with you?” she demanded bitterly

“I had no interest in taking Bono away from you” Anneka stated, shocked by Laurie’s revelation, “In fact it had never crossed my mind. I was too busy trying to sort out my own problems with Jake, the last thing I needed was more complications”

“And how was I to know?” Laurie demanded defensively “All I could see your marriage with Jake was falling apart.. The real problem was Anneka that you were far too independent a young woman, Jake never felt like you needed him, that’s why he started turning to me, he always felt you shut him out to a certain degree. He never felt an important part of your life like he really mattered. And Bono was always taking your side on the matter, so I knew where he stood. In some ways you and he were both alike, no wonder it drove me and Jake together

“So now you are saying its all my fault?” Anneka asked shakily, feeling her fists clench, just about resisting the urge to slap some sense into Laurie, “I brought this all on myself, just because you, whom I trusted and thought you were my friend, had this paranoid notion I was going to steal your husband. You just couldn’t talk to me about all this.. so you decided the solution was to run of with Jake instead and destroy all our lives… Well that was perfectly logical” she sneered in derision

“I am not denying I made the mistake” Laurie shot back, “I soon realised that. Only it was too late to undo the damage.. Only as I see it now it proves my point about you and Bono, I always knew you would end up together”

“But we are not together” Anneka protested “Not in the way you are implying anyway, “The only reason we got together was to try and do something about those less fortunate than ourselves we are working on the poverty campaign together, it’s the only interest we share, I hate to disappoint you but it’s the truth, Bono approached me a few months ago and that was all we talked about” she stated vehemently

Laurie just stared at Anneka speculatively “If you say so,” she finally spoke up, “and I guess its just all a coincidence Bono decided to approach you then? All he is interested in is your charity work?” she drawled questioningly

Anneka did not like the suggestive note in Laurie’s tone, feeling her own hackles rising defensively she stepped a little closer to her before replying

“Yes that is all there is to it, not that I see it is any of your business anyway, you are divorced from him now, remember!” she reminded her

“Yeah, I guess you are right” Laurie relented lowering her eyes, finally backing of, much to Anneka’s satisfaction and relief

“Well, I think we have said all we are going to say. I can assume this conversation is over… I would like to say its been nice talking to you again, but that would be a lie”
And with that she walked away hurrying out. going to her car in the car park

But she did not go anywhere, instead sat in her car clutching the steering wheel, staring out the windscreen in front of her, trying to gather her shattered senses. Her run in with Laurie had shook her badly and she needed time to recover before she trusted herself to drive anywhere.

It hit her now that Laurie had not really be interested in apologising for what had happened in the past.. Instead she had just been concerned that somehow Anneka and Bono were having some sort of a relationship now, and she wanted to crow that she knew it had been on the cards, trying to justify it and use it as an excuse for what she had done. Anneka had never realised Laurie had seen her as a threat all those years ago, and even now it seemed she still felt the same.

It made Anneka feel a uneasy, somehow Laurie had made her friendship with Bono seem sordid and tainted and she had hated having to defend it to her of all people

But she wasn’t going to let the paranoid ravings of his ex wife spoil their friendship, apart from the personal side of it, there was too much at stake now they were working together on the poverty campaign, and she wasn’t going to let anything come between what they were trying to do….

She still deserves a good slap! :wink:

Why do people always handle these situations correctly instead of having a nice ol' row :lol:

I would have probably make the fight seem like something out of WWE.. so i didnt want to go there :lol: :wink:

I think the 'adult solution' fits more with Aneka's personality :)

:cute: Bono having a thing for her.... as if it wasn't obvious already...

Back
Top Bottom