model behaviour pt 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
Julie kept her promise to do all in her power to make sure Anneka could get to Brussels with Bono for that weekend. She got in contact with her boss later on that evening to let her know she had managed to persuade Jan the photographer to reschedule their meeting for Tuesday morning instead.

“You are a little miracle worker” Anneka told her gratefully, “I knew I done the right thing hiring you.. Was Jan very pee’d of with me for wanting to change our meeting times?” she then enquired anxiously knowing how temperamental this particular photographer could be

“Well lets just say, there was a bit of ranting and raving at first, and how he thought you were crazy roaming around trying to be the good Samaritan and getting involved with politics” Julie informed her, “But I let him get it out of his system a bit, whilst holding the phone away from my ear”

Anneka laughed “Yes, I can understand why you would want to do that”

“But eventually he ran out of steam and swear words,” Julie went on, “And I gently reminded him that your involvement in all this was not some sort of part time hobby, but something you felt deeply about, then I started quoting statistics to him about how many children die of poverty and how awful it was and by doing this one tiny thing he could do his bit and help. In the end I made him feel so bad he finally agreed with a little grumbling that Tuesday morning was fine.. So its all go”

“Wonderful” Anneka replied “Now you can get busy packing and sorting stuff out, and I will phone Bono and let him know” she added gleefully.

Anneka arrived in Brussels at seven thirty in the morning, there was a limousine waiting for her to take her to the same Hotel where Bono was staying. Aware that she was on her way, he was watching out for her from the hotel bar so that when she arrived he was there to embrace her in a bear hug and a kiss her briefly on the lips to let her know how delighted he was to see her.

“I am so glad you are able to be here” his warm expression and tone was unmistaken.

“Me to” Anneka replied, trying not to feel overwhelmed by Bono’s welcome as they started to walk towards the elevator, it was amazing the way his physical presence send her emotions into disarray. She didn’t dare explore her feelings on a more personal level as the shadow of what had happened between them in the past, even now, attempted to raise its ugly head despite her determination to let it all go. She was wanting to do this with Bono just to even prove to herself she had long since moved on.

She decided remaining businesslike was the only way she could continue that would give her a sense of detachment, “When the fashion show finished last night, I didn’t join in the partying afterwards, instead I returned to my hotel room with Julie my PA and we went over the list of names you faxed me of the ministers we will be meeting today, oh and thanks for some of that background info on them as well, it came in useful”

“Yeah there is a who load of other paperwork awaiting your pleasure in my room we can look over before the meeting today,” Bono informed her with a grin,“ I also got in contact with Brad Conway, the administrator of your charity he told me to let you know he will probably be able to fly in later today for the meeting as well”

“Oh good, Brad is a wonderful man and such a big help, he can’t wait to meet you” Anneka replied, then glanced around the hotel foyer “Speaking of which, I have to introduce you to Julie, she is just giving my checking in details at the desk and should be coming now. She is another big fan of yours, and its thanks to her powers of persuasion I was able to make it today” she revealed and beckoned for Julie to come over and join them before they went up in the elevator.

Being a professional, and quite used to meeting various famous and important people and celebrities in her time working as a PA, Julie manage to refrain from drooling or fainting as her boss had feared when she came within close proximity of Bono. Keeping what she hoped was a cool polite demeanour,. But it all went out of the window when she found Bono slinging his arm around her and squeezing her too him

“Nice to meet you Julie, I believe we have you to thank for getting Annie here today, you are a sweetheart” he then planted a wet sloppy kiss on her cheek

Anneka could not hide her expression of amusement at the sight of her dark haired PA looking a little flustered and blushing bright red, trying to keep her wits together as she replied modestly “Well its part of my job, I just do what she pays me for.. But it’s all for a good cause, so I didn‘t want to let her down.. or you” she finished a little shyly

And when the elevator doors opened Bono entered it with his arms around Anneka and Julie who where on either side of him. Much to Julies secret delight he spent the short journey up in the elevator wanting to know how she came under the employment of Anneka, showing a personal interest in her that she never dreamed of.

For Anneka who had known him longer, it was the Bono she remembered so well, and decided her employee deserved the attention. She didn’t mind one little bit being in the background for a change

Anneka found herself a little in awe of the way Bono managed to absorb information, facts and figures and various other details with apparent ease, as they sat in her hotel suite going over the information they needed a few hours later.

They were supposedly taken a break whilst eating their brunch, a selection of sandwiches they had ordered from room service. The actual meeting with the foreign ministers was still three hours away , Bono was giving Anneka some seasoned advice on the best way to approach and handle the conversations so they made more impact.

He was pacing up and down the floor in front of her with his half eaten sandwich in one hand, and a sheet of paper with some drafted proposals in the other, his blue eyes deadly serious

“We have to make them see beyond their own little worlds, how they can benefit from helping poorer countries, that it’s as much their problem, and they have to do something about it, that we all have a responsibility, and no one should be let of the hook” He stopped pacing to look directly at Anneka.

“We got to make them go back to their heads of governments convinced that they have to do something to help and make changes to their ‘Couldn’t give a damn’ policies, and the hardest part is making sure they stick to their word and keep whatever promises they make.. So as you can see we have our work cut out for us”
he finished with a dry smile, then remembering about the half eaten sandwich in his hand he took a bite out of it before joining her on the sofa where she was surrounded by various paperwork.

She looked up from the paperwork she was holding in her hand. “I guess even making a small change could count as progress, and that’s what we have to aim for, changing hearts and minds, but it’s hard in a western society that is so wrapped up in its own problems to give a damn.. Sometimes I get so frustrated and angry” she confessed.

“Welcome to the club” Bono retorted, “But I refuse to give up.. I can’t”
She reached out to touch his arm in understanding, then couldn’t help smiling

“Y’know I never thought way back in the old days, that I would be sitting here with you now trying to grasp the ins and outs of the world economy with you, and trying to help solve the weighty problems going on in the world. It feels a little bizarre”

“I guess it is,” Bono chuckled, “But we were never the sort to take the easy way out”
his blue eyes rested on her intently “We thrive on challenges and whatever life throws at us”

“Sometimes it feels easier trying and sort out what’s wrong with the world than what is wrong in your own personal life” Anneka replied soberly

Bono eyed her speculatively “Is your personal life so bad?” he queried quietly

Anneka shrugged “I guess not. I am always busy, always somewhere to go, and something to do. But sometimes it gets lonely.. But then its my choice, at least I like to think it is” she finished with a small frown.

“Is there no one.. special in your life?” Bono probed gently, “Don’t tell me after what happened with Jake it has left you so emotionally scarred you don’t feel like you can have a long term relationship?”

“Not exactly” Anneka stared down at her fidgeting fingers and shaking her head, “It’s just my lifestyle, our sort of lifestyle and the pressure we are under with the fame and fortune it has a price” she tried to explain, “

“When I look at others around me in the same boat living the same kind of life, so many marriages ending in divorce after short periods of time.. Relationships breaking up .. I guess I stopped believing in finding a long time partner, it seems it is something rare and not within our grasp.. So why bother why go through the pain and agony of it all again trying to find it.”

“That’s kindda sad” Bono sighed regretfully, “Y’know when Laurie left me I was angry and bitter as hell in the beginning, I was actually surprised how badly it affected me. But y’know I woke up one day realised that I wasn’t doing myself any favours, I was making everyone else miserable and suffering, and I lost a very good friend into the bargain” he added with a small meaningful smile as he eyed her.

“So I decided all the negative vibes were not getting me anywhere, and brooding over what happened wasn't going to change anything, and I still believe in love, very much so. I haven’t given up looking for it or finding it again”

“You are much braver than me” Anneka told him, her smile bittersweet

“Don’t you give up so easily on love Annie” he told her putting his arm around her giving her a comforting hug, “It can show up in the most unexpected places and hit you when you least expect it” he predicted

“Maybe,” she relented, not completely convinced. After all Bono hadn’t found the elusive love either, as far as she knew he was still single. But she was not going to point that blatant fact out, and decided to let him have the luxury of going on with his optimism even if she did not share it.

Feeling his nearness was getting just a little too comfortable, she reminded herself the reason why they were here and moved out of his arms pondering briefly how easy it was to open up to Bono despite all that had happened in the past, she had not meant for the conversation to take such a personal turn

“Well I guess we better get back to the bigger problems in the world. Mine seem so insignificant in the grand scheme of things” she pointed out lightly as she went back to the paperwork in her hand….

I agree Bono's Doll.:yes: Annj, I am really enjoying this. Anneka is a very interesting character. Activist Bono is my favorite Bono:applaud:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom