(Mildly) Slashy Fic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
once again, i will try not repeat myself, as it has been said to be destructive if anything.

you scold us for being repetitive, but please don't be hypocritical. we may have been, but you have as well. redundancy was present on both sides, so let's just drop that.

this IS redundancy, but i am continually accused, so i will state it one more time: i know we are all different. i know we have different tastes. that would be why i said i cannot criticize your hobbies. furthermore, although no one can represent us while on the board itself, we are a community of fans. "we are one, but we're not the same"...

also, do you guys think we're accusing you of psychosis? i fully realize that you are yet in touch with reality. we know it's fiction. fiction, however, does not excuse things. i'll leave it at that.

side note: bonochick has told neither foray nor myself to stop. we are being respectful and stating our opinions on the issue. we are not going against the moderators simply for having a rational discussion. in my responses i check my offense or anger and merely state my thoughts.

someone said that we were straight up calling you sick. i know some of you a bit and i in no way think you are sick people. i'm just disgusted by the writing itself. love the criminal, hate the crime...so to speak.

many say that censorship is horrible in all forms. while not being a fan of overcensorship, i truly believe it is necessary in some cases. i am thankful for america's censorship of nudity in tv, movies, and advertizing. i have been to other countries, and the amount of nudity made me a bit uncomfortable. i don't want to be constantly looking at that. people as young as 13 are permitted to view this page. younger may well also be viewing it. would you like your adolescent or preteen child reading about such things? i know i wouldn't. when we generalize the evils of censorship, we forget that although we are mature enough to look at this objectively, some are not. it's a broken world indeed that permits such things in the name of freedom of speech. freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but this is an internet community. peace needs to be kept.

finally, please do not call me intolerant. i am not an intolerant person simply because i do not appreciate sexual fantasies about u2--a band that has made such a huge impact on my life, both emotionally and spiritually--associated with somewhere i spend much time.

and please, brunerhyme, just assure me that your signature isn't blatently directed at foray or myself.

Last edited:
Firstly, I personally never referred to you by name in any of my posts, so you're generalization that I speaking to you is a bit far fetched in a few points.

Secondly, you ask would I be okay with people under thirteen reading this? YES. Did you even bother to READ my story before criticising it? There's nothing in here other than kissing - (again) something U2 does commonly in public. The kissing is not even described in depth. In fact, my story could even be taken for a story simply about friendship if you took out about two or three lines in it.

I never called you anything. I simply asked that everyone keep in mind WHY they are against it before commenting. I never accused anyone of anything.

Finally, if I'm being repetitive, it's because I'm forced to emphasize the same points over and over again when people (not necessarily you) continue to beat the dead horse.

I will state here and now that I kept in mind my audience. This is the mildest of all my fics and the only one I felt truly comfortable posting here. The others I would only post in an all-slash forum. I understand that slash isn't for everyone, and this fic barely qualifies.

Also - again not you directly - some people HAVE called us "sick" within this thread.

And I find your analogy a bit offensive; I am in no way a criminal. Sodomy's illegal in fourteen states (note: my fic didn't contain any sodomy anyway), but the state I live in is not one of them.

And there are no laws against finding two men together attractive.

Stories for Boys said:
many say that censorship is horrible in all forms. while not being a fan of overcensorship, i truly believe it is necessary in some cases. i am thankful for america's censorship of nudity in tv, movies, and advertizing. i have been to other countries, and the amount of nudity made me a bit uncomfortable. i don't want to be constantly looking at that. people as young as 13 are permitted to view this page. younger may well also be viewing it. would you like your adolescent or preteen child reading about such things? i know i wouldn't. when we generalize the evils of censorship, we forget that although we are mature enough to look at this objectively, some are not. it's a broken world indeed that permits such things in the name of freedom of speech. freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but this is an internet community. peace needs to be kept.

finally, please do not call me intolerant. i am not an intolerant person simply because i do not appreciate sexual fantasies about u2--a band that has made such a huge impact on my life, both emotionally and spiritually--associated with somewhere i spend much time.

and please, brunerhyme, just assure me that your signature isn't blatently directed at foray or myself.

See, this is what has me confused. What is there to censor. I can understand your disgust, to a degree, if someone had posted an NC-17 slash fic up here (which, I repeat, get less criticism than this one). But all that's there in a sexual way is kissing. Not making out. Just kissing. Something you wouldn't even give a thought to if it weren't two men. And even if it is two men, so what? The guys in U2 touch, kiss, hug all the time in public.

Hell, an Elevation concert was slashier than this fic.

As for my sig- Stories, there are others besides yourself and Foray responding, so to assume that it is directed at you two specifically makes no sense.

[Edit:
When Bono does the same thing (i.e. take a case of friendship and investigate the homoerotic undertones) everyone praises him and calls it art. When fans do the same thing and post it, it's called 'sick'. Even though what this fic is implying isn't nearly as sexual. A bit ironic, don't you think?]

Last edited:
I'm posting again just to clear up..I used the words REPETITIVE and CONSTANT-I am well aware that it is not healthy to "blindly follow" them, and believe me, I do criticize them when I feel it is warranted. I have never blindly followed ANYONE, be it a person or a band.

But I do find it very offensive to see constant posts like that, and it does seem to be the same people over and over..also often after they have been "warned" by moderators. For me though, I just avoid coming to Int when it gets to me like that, when it becomes so prevalent that I can't simply just ignore it.

And honestly, I really don't care, and feel no need to explain myself, if anyone judges me re PLEBA. Yes, I think they're attractive, but that is the least of the reasons why I love them. I'm here to have fun, and I find so many of the women in this forum to be very fun, nice, and friendly. I don't accept being judged by others who want to generalize about me. I just find this makes life a whole lot easier to live.

I agree that this discussion has pretty much run its' course, and I'm not here to "defend" anyone, just to express my opinion.

Happy Easter everyone :)

just a few quick clarifications...

1. i was under the impression that this discussion was covering slash in general, not this story specifically. i'm sorry if you thought my remarks were directed at you, lardencelover.

2. i can see how you may be offended by the analogy i used, but i in no way meant it in the literal sense. it's a cliche...i used it as such. i did not mean to offend.

3. it could be directed at other people as well as us, but i really don't appreciate me being publically told i don't understand in every one of your posts. i realize that you can put whatever you want in your signature, but i think your choice is a bit provacative.

4. i thought you were condemning the very act of criticism. i understand that some seem to be flowing with it, and that isn't fun to always be seeing.

Stories for Boys said:
just a few quick clarifications...

3. it could be directed at other people as well as us, but i really don't appreciate me being publically told i don't understand in every one of your posts. i realize that you can put whatever you want in your signature, but i think your choice is a bit provacative.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate it, but as I said, it's not directed at you personally. It happens to be one of the things I live by and applies to many issues, not just the discussion on this board.

That and I really like Bob Dylan.

:up: cool...from your first reply i thought it was meant for me. good deal...

i hope you guys don't think i'm some ogre...i'm really not :huh:

i only look like one, smell like one, and occasionally eat like one... :p

Stories for Boys said:
:up: cool...from your first reply i thought it was meant for me. good deal...

i hope you guys don't think i'm some ogre...i'm really not :huh:

i only look like one, smell like one, and occasionally eat like one... :p

...but do you have the official ogre pin? Because without one, I'm afraid you simply can't be considered an ogre.

Oh! And!
*waves to everyone*

I'm really much friendlier usually. Really.

*ignores stares from all who know her*

This is part of the problem with dragging personal insults into a discussion about a certain issue. Everyone gets too easily offended when there isn't even any offense meant. For the most part this hasn't degenerated into name-calling, but it's still an issue, and that doesn't help in talking about a fairly controversial topic.

[Incidentally, you mentioned in another post that you didn't realise this was about Mandi's fic. While it has evolved to become broader than that, I'll admit, this was originally about this story, which barely qualifies as slash. So any comments about the appropriate-ness (new word?) of something of this nature being posted should assume the story in question won't be more graphic than this one. Why make the posting of NC17 slash fic an issue when it really hasn't come up (that I know of)? It would probably be better to stick to *this* story when on this thread, since that's what it was about in the first place- you know, before everyone blew it out of proportion and it became a place to discuss the morality of posting slash instead of a nice area to post a fairly unoffensive piece and receive praise and/or constructive criticism.
Maybe everyone should stop spamming this thread and if they really want the discussion to continue start another? I don't know. Just a thought.]

lardencelover said:
And I find your analogy a bit offensive; I am in no way a criminal. Sodomy's illegal in fourteen states (note: my fic didn't contain any sodomy anyway), but the state I live in is not one of them.

And there are no laws against finding two men together attractive.

Gickies' temper tantrum aside :)sexywink:), it's really quite the double standard. I wonder what the reaction would be if this were a band of women...

Melon

melon said:
Gickies' temper tantrum aside :)sexywink:), it's really quite the double standard. I wonder what the reaction would be if this were a band of women...

Melon

Exactly.

*Also agrees with brunerhyme's points about U2 being affectionate with each other.

But I do see what you're getting at, Stories-I still don't agree much with a lot of what you're saying (especially about the censorship part)...but it's cool-you're backing your opinions up well and everything, so...:).

Angela

Stories--

I'd like to say thank you for being more clear on your points and not getting bitchy or snarky about it. I understand your points. In fact, your points are exactly WHY I didn't post anything racier than this fic. I agree with you that some of my stories SHOULDN'T be read by those under 14, and the sites that these stories ARE posted at have warnings all over them.

So, surprisingly, we're in agreement about almost everything there.

Also rather pleasantly. I hate confrontation.

Oh... and we all have a little ogre in us darling. :wink:

Last edited:
thanks girls...this is what i like about pleba...it may be a place full of hormonal girls, yet we all somehow remain decent and not catty. :up:

Back
Top Bottom