(Mildly) Slashy Fic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To IWasBored

I can understand getting defensive; people often do about their beliefs. And no, I certainly didn't mean most of you, I meant Gickes in particular. His grotesquely bitter comment about "lube" in one of the other posts makes it very clear his contempt is toward homosexuality and not just U2 slash, IMO.

I wonder, if I were writing a smut story of Ali and Bono, would he still be offended?

However, thank you IWasBored for being curteous and graceful about your answer. I respect your opinion.

lardencelover said:
To IWasBored

I can understand getting defensive; people often do about their beliefs. And no, I certainly didn't mean most of you, I meant Gickes in particular. His grotesquely bitter comment about "lube" in one of the other posts makes it very clear his contempt is toward homosexuality and not just U2 slash, IMO.

I wonder, if I were writing a smut story of Ali and Bono, would he still be offended?

However, thank you IWasBored for being curteous and graceful about your answer. I respect your opinion.

thanks. you could have easily gone and gone crazy, and you didn't. cool. i respect that.

That is cool, I agree ^^^^.

You're right, lardencelover, people always will get defensive when they're sharing their opinions on something. That's what happened with me in this thread. I had no intentions of coming across as rude to anyone out there...if it came off that way to anyone out there I apologize.

It's just that I absolutely despise censorship-that's an issue I have very strong opinions on, and I will not hold back on voicing them when necessary.

I have no problem with people not liking slash personally. That kind of stuff isn't for everyone, and hey, that's cool, that's your opinion, fine. I understand.

I just can't believe we had people out there talking about censoring stories like this...that's not fair to the people out there who do like slash.

And it's especially sad and unfair when those comments calling for censorship have more to do with the fact that someone has issues with homosexuality in general than the story itself.

Angela

Excuse me, but I am not homophobic. You guys are focusing on Gickies only when there are more than the two of us who are offended by slash fiction.

foray

foray said:
Excuse me, but I am not homophobic. You guys are focusing on Gickies only when there are more than the two of us who are offended by slash fiction.

foray

We're not saying you are homophobic, or possibly homophobic.

And we're focusing on Gickles because Gickles is the one who was making the most fuss over it.

Other people who don't like slash came in and gave their opinion, but they didn't sit there and talk about censoring the stories, nor did they make rude comments and insult those who do like slash.

Angela

Hey, LardenceLover, Rain for an Autumn's Night, it's one of my favorite stories by you.

Have you ever finished Promenade? I love that story.

I really meant to say:

"Excuse me, but I am female, so my dissent has nothing to do with homophobia. You guys are focusing on Gickies only, when there are more than the two of us who are offended by slash fiction."

His and my approach to conveying disgust are different but our stand remains one and the same. How would you feel if a total stranger, possibly one you'd never feel inclined to be attracted to either, had wet dreams about you? Dreams, in which you were doing things you'd never think of doing in real life, in which you'd probably think were really gross and perverse? You'd feel deeply disturbed or insulted, I should think. It wouldn't be easy shrugging it off with a "oh it's nothing, he was just dreaming about me, just a dream", because as I tried to explain earlier -- 'real life' and fantasies don't dichotomise easily!

foray

foray said:
I really meant to say:

"Excuse me, but I am female, so my dissent has nothing to do with homophobia. You guys are focusing on Gickies only, when there are more than the two of us who are offended by slash fiction."

His and my approach to conveying disgust are different but our stand remains one and the same. How would you feel if a total stranger, possibly one you'd never feel inclined to be attracted to either, had wet dreams about you? Dreams, in which you were doing things you'd never think of doing in real life, in which you'd probably think were really gross and perverse? You'd feel deeply disturbed or insulted, I should think. It wouldn't be easy shrugging it off with a "oh it's nothing, he was just dreaming about me, just a dream", because as I tried to explain earlier -- 'real life' and fantasies don't dichotomise easily!

foray

There are homophobic females too.

U2 would have to be very naive to think there are no people fantasizing about them. And people will continue having sexual thoughts about them, whether they choose to share those thoughts with others or not.

These stories are clearly labeled as "fiction". They are widely popular and I'm almost sure the guys are aware that they exist. Why haven't they publicly expressed their disapproval of this type of writing? They have the means of doing so.

And I'm not clear if your objections apply to only slash or any type of U2 fiction involving sexuality.

flaming june said:

There are homophobic females too.

U2 would have to be very naive to think there are no people fantasizing about them. And people will continue having sexual thoughts about them, whether they choose to share those thoughts with others or not.

These stories are clearly labeled as "fiction". They are widely popular and I'm almost sure the guys are aware that they exist. Why haven't they publicly expressed their disapproval of this type of writing? They have the means of doing so.

And I'm not clear if your objections apply to only slash or any type of U2 fiction involving sexuality.

Exactly right on all points.

Angela

I am not homophobic with gays or lesbians anyway. Why grasp at these straws :rolleyes: Slash or U2 fiction involving sexuality - please explain the difference. Suffice it to say that I find the fiction I've read here offensive.

Going by your logic, you're saying that slash is wrong only if the bandmembers come out and express disapproval? Oh cripes.

foray

foray said:
I am not homophobic with gays or lesbians anyway. Why grasp at these straws :rolleyes:

You seemed to think that by stating that you're a female, the idea that you could be homophobic was immediately discarded. I just wanted to point out that one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Slash or U2 fiction involving sexuality - please explain the difference.

Slash = male/male sexual relationships. There are also "smut" fics = girl/boy.

Going by your logic, you're saying that slash is wrong only if the bandmembers come out and express disapproval? Oh cripes.

foray

You're opposed to fan fiction because you're assuming that they'd be offended by it. I just don't think we can make that assumption... :shrug:

i tried to stay out of this thread, but i feel a couple things should be said.

1. i'll start with saying that i'm not a fan of slash either. i am very much behind foray and gickies. i read a few in my first weeks on interference, and now i'm ashamed that i have.

2. assuming that gickies is homophobic in the first place is blatently accusing him of something that is not true. i know him and he's not the horrible person you think...no need to make uninformed accusations.

3. do you announce everything that you hate? i'm trying to think of a situation in which the band would deem it appropriate to verbalize their opinion on slash or smut or the like. "so, the new album's coming along. and we don't like slash." and as i recall, when a pleban asked bono if he knew about pleba, he said "scary girls"...you wonder why?

4. i love this website. i spend a lot of time here, and i have a lot of friends here (pleban and non pleban). i even post a lot in the plebans forum. that being said, i, too, am ashamed of the stories that are posted here. i have no problem with you guys liking them or reading them. that is your business and i can't condemn you for your hobbies. but i honestly think that it should be kept to other webpages devoted to slash fanfic. interference is a fan community, and what some interferencers do reflects the entire community. i want to be completely free and clear in stating my love for interference. i am not right now.

5. someone asked about a smut story about bono and ali. i speak for gickies, but i have a distinct feeling that he wouldn't approve of this either. it's not the stories themselves that are offensive. it's the idea. these musicians have changed my life (and others on the board's lives as well) greatly. i respect them not only for their music, but also for who they are as people. i think that writing smutty stories about them takes away from that. and please don't say "so don't read them." i don't. but once again, knowing they're on a website that i am so associated with is just the same.

6. lastly, i'd like to thank you girls for keeping this a calm and rational discussion. i may disagree with you, but i truly appreciate that this hasn't turned into an all out brawl.

Foray...

First off, there are homophobe females. I know some.

Secondly, I'd find it flattering if someone fantisized about me, either way.

Thirdly, we were "picking on" Gickes not because he doesn't like slash, but because his comments were rude, crude, homophobic and inappropriate.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

I happen to think that U2'd probably think it was funny, if anything. Larry might be the only one to be truly offended, but honestly, I don't write for Larry.

My stories have disclaimers. If you hate slash, ignore it. No one's forcing you to read it.

Might I point out that I don't see you or Gickes running around chiding the girls on here who write Mary Sues -- stories that feature them having sex w/members of U2. Is that okay because it's not gay?

Once again, I'd like to thank most of you for keeping this relatively nice and clean.

Just because we disagree on this doesn't mean we have nothing in common as humans and - of course - U2 fans.

I understand there are a good number of people who are against fanfiction written about the band in general, and while I don't agree with them, I can respect their opinions. However, I don't see those who appreciate fanfiction complaining very much about the high Mary Sue content on this site. That is, stories that involve fantasies of a het nature-often with 'characters' (or thin disguises for the authours themselves, call it what you will) who have never met the band members before and have no real connections with them. So, if 'respectable' authours can write smut about their personal fantasies regarding Our Heroes, why must we deride slashers for doing the same? If anything, the positions should be reversed. Slashers are writing about four men who have known, respected, and certainly cared for each other for nearly thirty years. They're exploring one facet of what makes this band great from a different angle. Trying to put a new spin on what we already know, to get a glimpse inside what makes these relationships work. Are they saying this is reality? Of course not. No one claims that. Isn't that what the Zoo was about? Distorting the truth to reveal it? So don't be so quick to assume the bandmembers would disapprove (And, incidentally, if they did I'm sure we would have been C & D'd by now. Wait. They're not for censorship either. Right. Never mind then.).

But let's assume all of that is just me talking out of my ass.

Are some of these fics written merely to fulfill our own little fantasies?
Well, yeah, so what? To have Bono and Larry kiss in the middle of a street (as in this fic) is hardly offensive and certainly in the opinion of many slashers less loathesome than having a band member randomly have sex with a woman he's barely even met. But you don't see us asking for all of those sorts of stories to be banned, no matter how much we dislike them.

Don't like slash? Fine. Don't read it.

But don't try to put it lower on the morality scale just because it doesn't fit in with your ideas on what constitutes 'good' writing.

Incidentally, to whomever asserted there are no good slash fanfic writers, I would challenge you to find fault in the actual quality of leelah's Bagna Cauda or The Water is Wide, Kelly's Monarch, Hyacinth's Stargazer. Just because you don't agree with the content doesn't mean the writing itself is bad.

*returns to lurkdom*

[Love the story, Mandi]

brunerhyme said:
To have Bono and Larry kiss in the middle of a street (as in this fic) is hardly offensive and certainly in the opinion of many slashers less loathesome than having a band member randomly have sex with a woman he's barely even met. But you don't see us asking for all of those sorts of stories to be banned, no matter how much we dislike them.

perhaps you should. and i agree that this is just as bad. if i sounded as if i was excluding this, i wasn't.

and i might also remind that i am in no way saying that you all need to stop writing or reading these...it's your hobby...i should certainly have no say in that...but i do think it's inappropriate for this site...

Stories for Boys said:

5. someone asked about a smut story about bono and ali. i speak for gickies, but i have a distinct feeling that he wouldn't approve of this either. it's not the stories themselves that are offensive. it's the idea. these musicians have changed my life (and others on the board's lives as well) greatly. i respect them not only for their music, but also for who they are as people. i think that writing smutty stories about them takes away from that. and please don't say "so don't read them." i don't. but once again, knowing they're on a website that i am so associated with is just the same.

:up: exactly, could not agree more.

Stories for Boys said:

3. do you announce everything that you hate? i'm trying to think of a situation in which the band would deem it appropriate to verbalize their opinion on slash or smut or the like. "so, the new album's coming along. and we don't like slash." and as i recall, when a pleban asked bono if he knew about pleba, he said "scary girls"...you wonder why?

Well, maybe they wouldn't announce is as "obviously" as that, but they wouldn't have a section in their own website dedicated to fan fiction, where a lot of the stories are smut, sexually graphic on some cases.

StoriesforBoys said..

interference is a fan community, and what some interferencers do reflects the entire community

Well, my opinion is..using this statement, one could also possibly say that other material posted here-for example, constant, repetitive criticism of Bono or U2 as a whole-such as incessantly complaining about the band/new songs, etc-reflects the entire community. Honestly, constant posts like that are more offensive to me than fan fiction of any sort. The way some people might treat others here (on Interference as a whole) sometimes reflects the entire community..perhaps U2 might be more offended by that than by fan fiction..just my opinion, just a thought...

Fan fiction of any sort has absolutely nothing to do w/ how I feel about this band. There are so many things written and said about them that I might be offended by, but that will never change the love I have for them. That's all :)

And I was not aware flaming june that Zootopia has a fan fic section-well, that's interesting

brunerhyme said:

I understand there are a good number of people who are against fanfiction written about the band in general, and while I don't agree with them, I can respect their opinions. However, I don't see those who appreciate fanfiction complaining very much about the high Mary Sue content on this site. That is, stories that involve fantasies of a het nature-often with 'characters' (or thin disguises for the authours themselves, call it what you will) who have never met the band members before and have no real connections with them. So, if 'respectable' authours can write smut about their personal fantasies regarding Our Heroes, why must we deride slashers for doing the same? If anything, the positions should be reversed. Slashers are writing about four men who have known, respected, and certainly cared for each other for nearly thirty years. They're exploring one facet of what makes this band great from a different angle. Trying to put a new spin on what we already know, to get a glimpse inside what makes these relationships work. Are they saying this is reality? Of course not. No one claims that. Isn't that what the Zoo was about? Distorting the truth to reveal it? So don't be so quick to assume the bandmembers would disapprove (And, incidentally, if they did I'm sure we would have been C & D'd by now. Wait. They're not for censorship either. Right. Never mind then.).

But let's assume all of that is just me talking out of my ass.

Are some of these fics written merely to fulfill our own little fantasies?
Well, yeah, so what? To have Bono and Larry kiss in the middle of a street (as in this fic) is hardly offensive and certainly in the opinion of many slashers less loathesome than having a band member randomly have sex with a woman he's barely even met. But you don't see us asking for all of those sorts of stories to be banned, no matter how much we dislike them.

Don't like slash? Fine. Don't read it.

But don't try to put it lower on the morality scale just because it doesn't fit in with your ideas on what constitutes 'good' writing.

Incidentally, to whomever asserted there are no good slash fanfic writers, I would challenge you to find fault in the actual quality of leelah's Bagna Cauda or The Water is Wide, Kelly's Monarch, Hyacinth's Stargazer. Just because you don't agree with the content doesn't mean the writing itself is bad.

*returns to lurkdom*

[Love the story, Mandi]

well said. :up:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well, my opinion is..using this statement, one could also possibly say that other material posted here-for example, constant, repetitive criticism of Bono or U2 as a whole-such as incessantly complaining about the band/new songs, etc-reflects the entire community. Honestly, constant posts like that are more offensive to me than fan fiction of any sort. The way some people might treat others here (on Interference as a whole) sometimes reflects the entire community..perhaps U2 might be more offended by that than by fan fiction..just my opinion, just a thought...

:up: I was just thinking that...

And I was not aware flaming june that Zootopia has a fan fic section-well, that's interesting [/B]

Yes. I don't think any slash fics have ever been posted there, but there are no rules against them, that I know of.

Stories for Boys said:

perhaps you should. and i agree that this is just as bad. if i sounded as if i was excluding this, i wasn't.

and i might also remind that i am in no way saying that you all need to stop writing or reading these...it's your hobby...i should certainly have no say in that...but i do think it's inappropriate for this site...

But why? There's a fanfiction section on Zootopia too. If the band members really had a problem with it (and that's really the only reason to consider banning something like fanfiction) do you think there'd be a section for it on their own site?

I haven't posted in PLEBA in quite sometime, and i'm just going to put my two cents on the table for this thread:

First of all , Mandi's a fantastic writer. The subject matter doesn't have any relevance in her writing abilities.

Second...any kind of censorship..ANY ! is wrong IMO.this is a free country people..if you don't like it, don't read it. People have a right to express themselves.

Third..yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why cause a ruckus and threaten to speak to Elvis to have this particular part of the forum closed? again if you don't like it, don't read it.

Intolerance is a thing i will never understand. Please, if you don't like it here just leave, you have the freedom to do that!

Incidentally, i'm one of those who does not like slash, not because i'm a homophobe, but because quite frankly it just doesn't do much for me. BUT....it does not stop me from reading a good piece of fiction.Good for you Mandi..excellent piece of work.

i'm done now...

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well, my opinion is..using this statement, one could also possibly say that other material posted here-for example, constant, repetitive criticism of Bono or U2 as a whole-such as incessantly complaining about the band/new songs, etc-reflects the entire community.

well, i'm not one who incessantly complains or criticizes...but is it healthy to never criticize? they are not perfect. blindly following isn't a healthy way to follow a band.

i don't think that fan fiction is bad. i merely was stating that slash is not the sort of thing that i would like associated with me. i don't appreciate having to explain to people that i may post in the "plebans" forum, but i'm not like that. isn't there a site that is for u2 slash? what's wrong with just posting there?

and i'm actually quite shocked that there is sexually explicit material on u2's site. i find that even worse and more disrespectful.

i didn't want to get in an argument over this. i just felt i needed to step in and defend gickies since he can't defend himself.

Stories for Boys said:

well, i'm not one who incessantly complains or criticizes...but is it healthy to never criticize? they are not perfect. blindly following isn't a healthy way to follow a band.

Nor is constantly criticising to the point where that becomes all that is done. I think that is what the writer was referring to.

i don't think that fan fiction is bad. i merely was stating that slash is not the sort of thing that i would like associated with me. i don't appreciate having to explain to people that i may post in the "plebans" forum, but i'm not like that. isn't there a site that is for u2 slash? what's wrong with just posting there?

I don't know many people who associate PLEBA with fanfic. Most think of the 'scary girls', picture extravaganzas, and unrestrained drooling. And if someone asks you about it, just say you don't go for that sort of thing. I think everyone can agree that when you have a forum this large, there are going to be things that everyone doesn't agree with. When that happens it's just better to learn how to live with different views than to expect everything you don't like to be censored.

And yes, there is a LJ for U2!Slash, along with an archive. However, there are also multiple sites for gen and het U2!Fic. If you're going to say slashers should only post at their site, perhaps you should follow your logic through to its own conclusion and have everyone post at their own separate sites, deleting this forum entirely. Maybe that's what you're getting at, I don't know.

For crying out loud, folks. Let's lay off the homophobe theory because this really isn't about homophobia at all. Stories For Boys put it more articulately than me: it is the idea of these stories and not the stories in themselves. Even if you had a heterosexual Bono making out with a heterosexual female, I'd feel the same.

So you are arguing for freedom of speech? Okay, this is us having our piece. We're just trying to tell you what we think of your stuff. We think it's sick and disrespectful. I really meant it when I said that I can't fathom writing such things about people I greatly respect - as people, musicians, fathers, husbands. Bono and Larry are such good people who've done so much; I see these stories as reducing them to mere sexual fantasies.

Yes, I don't like it, so I don't read it. But this point really has nothing to do with what we're talking about. To say "don't read it" is dismissive and doesn't address my valid objections.

I'll leave you to it now, I feel like a broken record. I don't expect you to stop what you're doing just because some of us hate it. But this whole thing has made me realize how sick some fans can be. True, you're probably great mothers and people yourselves, in real life; but again I find this dichotomy between 'real life' and 'fantasy life' a tad immature.

edited spelling mistakes

foray

Last edited:
Well, there's a lot I have left here to comment about.

Firstly, I want to apologise. Not for posting this fic or writing it, but perhaps not putting a more clear disclaimer. That is the only real fault I feel I have here. I'd like to make my disclaimer more clear, if I could.

This is the most important point I will make, and to this there ARE no arguments:

We are not the same. What one person feels in PLEBA does not represent what everyone feels. This thread more than proves this; some like slash, some don't.

You do not represent me. FJ doesn't represent me, foray doesn't represent me, burnerhyme doesn't represent me. The only thing I will straight forwardly admit to us having in common is that we are U2 fans. That is ALL. After that point, it varies from person to person.

This is common sense people. I like Larry. Does that mean EVERYONE in this community likes him? Hell no. My favorite song is WTSHNN. Does that mean it's everyone's? No. I like slash. Does that mean everyone does?

NO.

I respect U2. There are boundaries I won't cross. I avoid writing about U2's family. I put disclaimers on my stories. My stories are placed under the fanFICTION area. I never try to portray any member of U2 in an exaggerated light, one way or the other. I don't make them pedophiles, rapists or murderers. I take what I see and try to portray it accurately.

We ARE put into a category as "U2 fans." Beyond that, I think the members of the band are smart enough to know that we're not all the same. Honestly. I think the area we have in which we all discuss non-U2 related subjects shows as much. Some are pro-war, some anti. Some think gay marriage is okay, some don't. Some like jazz music, some don't. Some think Tom Cruise is hot, some don't.

MY PREFERENCES ARE NOT YOURS.

Finally, let me note that someone mentioned that Bono thinks PLEBA is "scary girls." I have heard that before, which is why I avoided joining until a few MONTHS ago. I'm a newcomer, folks. And that quote from Bono is rather old. Notably, old enough that there hadn't BEEN any slash posted up here yet. So, his comment is in no way, shape or form connected to slash. He was referring to other traits of pleba, likely their tendency to worship the band members a bit more than they should. One of the good things about writing fiction about U2 is that it has forced me to recognise both their good sides and down sides, and realise they human like the rest of us.

U2 are four intelligent men who are well aware that women (and some men) find them attractive. They knew what they were getting into when they started twenty-five years ago. Part of the deal to being overpaid for doing what you love for a living is, in their occupation, a small loss to your private life. I would be VERY surprised if at least Bono and Edge don't already know about slash. Considering their tendency for affection toward each other when in public, they have a sense of humor about it. Adam's made it clear on more than one occassion that he has no qualms about homosexuality, and Larry has said the same (I have quotes, if I'm forced to pull them out).

Fanfiction has the word fiction in it for a reason. U2 know about it, allow it on THEIR OWN WEBSITE.

And for the last, final time. If you don't like it, don't bloody read it.

That said, I'd like to say thank you to those who defended me, as well as those who expressed an opinion, even if it didn't meet mine, in a polite and level manner.

I'd also like to thank those who complimented my writing. You don't have to like the subject material you're reading to recognise whether someone is a talented author or not. Both praise and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Also, there is freedom of speech. You can call me a sick, twisted fuck until your face turns blue. I don't have to read it, or agree with it. I will say that I think you're beating a dead horse, but that doesn't mean I will tell you STOP beating it. And even if I did, you sure as hell don't have to listen. It is up to the moderators to determine what is abuse here and what is not. I will say that I know Bonochick has asked several of you to stop, and to that I DO think it's disrespectful to ignore her.

Just know that at some point, your point becomes moot when you've killed it by being repetitive.

[Edit] I would also like to let an interesting- and personal- note about myself become common knowledge, perhaps to show the irony of this situation, maybe to make a point- I'll let you decide.

When I first came across slash about two years ago, I HATED it. I thought it was wrong, for mainly all the reasons that have been listed, but most importantly:

I was ignorant, close-minded and homophobic (note: this does NOT mean you HATE homosexuals, it means you are afraid of them, usually because you don't know anything about it, i.e., fear of the unknown).

For many, it's a case of not liking slash because the thought of two guys together doesn't do anything for you. That's understandable, completely.

For others it may be because you're scared to admit as much, or because you're not willing to accept others for their interests or sexual orientations.

Trust me when I say that is completely unfair to yourself. I have dozens of incredible, wonderful people that I otherwise would have "hated" if I had not given these people a chance despite how I may have disagreed with them at the time.

I'll just ask this question then:

Do you get upset when the members do this is real life? They hug, kiss, etc. all the time in public. Do you "ignore" or "forgive" it? Why it so wrong when I put it in written words?

Last edited:
foray said:
For crying out loud, folks. Let's lay off the homophobe theory because this really isn't about homophobia at all. Stories For Boys put it more articulately than me: it is the idea of these stories and not the stories in themselves. Even if you had a heterosexual Bono making out with a heterosexual female, I'd feel the same.

So you are arguing for freedom of speech? Okay, this is us having our piece. We're just trying to tell you what we think of your stuff. We think it's sick and disrespectful. I really meant it when I said that I can't fathom writing such things about people I greatly respect - as people, musicians, fathers, husbands. Bono and Larry are such good people who've done so much; I see these stories as reducing them to mere sexual fantasies.

Yes, I don't like it, so I don't read it. But this point really has nothing to do with what we're talking about. To say "don't read it" is dismissive and doesn't address my valid objections.

I'll leave you to it now, I feel like a broken record. I don't expect you to stop what you're doing just because some of us hate it. But this whole thing has made me realize how sick some fans can be. True, you're probably great mothers and people yourselves, in real life; but again I find this dichotomy between 'real life' and 'fantasy life' a tad immature.

edited spelling mistakes

foray

*sigh*

Foray, I respect your opinion, but it seems you've quite a twisted idea about what slash is. It's not all, "let's watch Bono and Edge make out". I would encourage you to read the first four chapters of leelah's Bagna Cauda. No sex, no kissing, nothing of the sort in those chapters. I can't promise that if you go to five, but I think it'll give you a bit of an idea at what a lot of us read slash for. It's not about reducing the characters to mere sexual fantasies. In fact, stories that do that are typically hated in slash circles as well. I've said before that I would much rather read a fic with great characterisation and no sex than one with just sex.

And regarding your assertion that you have a problem with het fic as well- that may very well be so, but it seems that all the het on this site are, for the most part, left alone, while the slash takes the brunt of whatever opposition there is. So I'm sure you can see where people could easily become confused on your position. No one is arguing that you don't have a right to express your opinion, it just seems that for the sake of civility of nothing else, it would be more polite to state it once and be done with it. If you have to comment on every fic posted, at least comment about the story- the writing, the charcterisation &c. Something more constructive than, "That's sick!".

Finally, it's not necessary to call people who read and write this sort of thing 'sick'. If you knew them, I'm sure you'd have to think differently, as some of the writers have put out work for the fan community you probably have enjoyed as a fan yourself over the years. Those who haven't are typically intelligent, friendly people who really don't deserve to be negatively stereotyped because you don't care for one of their hobbies.

Back
Top Bottom