Met Bono, Edge, and uh...LARRY??? 5/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
Hi guys!!!

I'm sorry I have no pics (yet) of my encounter with the guys, due to my having an old-fashioned camera, but I dropped them off to be developed and will have them up by next weekend. I'm a bit broke after the trip (heck, I was broke before) but that doesn't matter now, I'm over the moon.

Just got back a couple hours ago from NYC and I'm exhausted, exhilerated, and the trip was worth every penny everyone who helped me with it, from the guy who got me the tickets to the gal who sent me the train fare..but they're on Wire, have to get over there later.

I'll have a concert review up tomorrow. The libraries close at 5 today and my time is limited..just when I want to talk!!

The part of my story that's relevant is this. Now, I'm 36, but I never take these things for granted. I've been a fan for so long, but never got to meet the guys until Elevation, b/c I never wanted to until then, becuase I had a book about KIng David that I desperately wanted Bono to have. He got it...but that's another story.

Yesterday, after breakfast, I had a few hours to kill before I joined the bunch I was supposed to meet up with at the Garden for dinner before we went in. I knew the tourist areas of Manhattan pretty well (my uncle lives here, after all), so I couldn't be bothered with doing the touristy things, and I had no money for shopping. I got the idea to take a walk down to Bono's apt in Central Park but decided that would be tasteless (IMO anyway), and it was still9 AM and I wouldn't want people hanging around MY house on a weekend at that ungodly hour. So I got as far as the Empire State Buildng, decided to turn around and got lost (OF COURSE!) and spent the next half hour detouring back to the Garden via Chinatown. All through that area I kept thinking, "FIVE POINTS..FIVE POINTS..." which it was, for you history buffs. When I got back to the Garden I went through the lobby and already, at 10 AM there was a pretty good line of people, maybe 70-80. I asked someone if this was the GA line. No, two guys told me, this is line for the rumored ticket drop that was supposed to happen around noon or 1. (It happened at 6, I think, and there wasn't very much given away. Alllousy seats,and there must have been 200+ people by then. I felt so sorry for them.)

They told me where the GA line was (corner of Eighth and 33rd, in the back of the building) and I decided to kill time by doing what I'd done in Boston...hang with the GA line and hope that someone I "knew" from the Wire list had shown up. I was shocked. at 11:30 there were only 15 or so people there. In this group were a couple people from Zootopia, a charming young couple who had come from Mexico City--she had a Mexican flag that she used as a bathing towel at times--it was warm and sunny yesterday down there but got increasingly colder as the day went on, but thank God for that, later on! At the show last night, from up in the rafters high above Adam, I saw the flag bobbing around in the first row. Sadly Bono didn't take it, though I think he reached out and tocuhed it a few times. There was also a woman there from Brazil. I was happy they got where they wanted to be anyway.

I spent from 11:30-1 hobnobbing with the shickingly small GA line (I don't think it has more than 35 people, before 4 PM< anyway, the last time I checked it out. Around 1 PM I wandered off and saw a small bunch of people about 50 feet ahead, by the Garden's back entrance. I had forgotten about the whole ritual of meeting the band, though I had gotten so good at it on Elevation. I kid you not, meeting the band was NOT on my agenda this time around. ( I can hear you all groan and gasp, HERESY!) It just never occurred to me. I had certainly brought nothing for anyone to sign, but my old pic of myself and Edge from 2001 Boston for my bunch to look at. I'm more of the pics and less of the autogaph type anyway.

Rumors had been flying around that they might not come out at all, due to the huge mob of people at the gates by 1PM..already 50 or so. The 3-piece "band" that got up onstage with the band at the Jersey shows was there (who played--if I"m not mistaken,,that weired PUNK version of ISHFWILF???) breathlessly telling of their feat. The security were a bunch of jerks at first ("What part of 'leave now' don't you understand?" said one guy who loooked like an evil version of Paul McG with 30 extra pounds. Some people thought it WAS him at first!)

:wink: :ohmy: )

Of course we didn't. Every so often a pair of cops would walk up and down the cordoned off area looking bad-ass, and we automatically squeezed into a tight line to free up access to the street. Several people passing by stopped to inquire what the crowd was about, but most were nonplussed when we tol,d them. No fans! Get alife, people!! Around 3 the security doubled and walkie-talkies were brought forth. Trucks passing in and out. Barricades removed and replaced, to our chagrin. The buzz intesifies, and by now there are a good 60-80 people, on both sides of the entrance. I'm squeezed in the second row out on the edge by the street. Of course I am tooshort to see over people's shoulders and OF COURSE people don't allow me to come the front. But later on that night I got the better of them, ha ha.

Around 3:30 the word is passed on: they're coming! They're going to late to sound check at 4. OF COURSE they're going to be late! This is the Garden after all! At 4:30 we begin peeling the paint off of every black car that passes. I'ts strange for me, how low-key I am being about it all. Not like 2001. The atmosphere of course is electric. At 4:14 or so the first black car approaches. HE'S HERE! IS HE GETTING OUT??? Apparently not, becasue a group of about 15 people, inclsuing last night's guest stage band, had positioned themselves outsode the barriers on the street and mobbed the car as it pulled in. Bono had the window rolled down and was going to lean out, but like heat-seeking missles, and that quick, they were at the car, blocking it from pulling in. Thw window rolled up. Bono waved, but the car did not stop. IDIOTS!!! IDIOTS!!! If I had been Bono that would have been enough to scare me too, and I don't blame him. 1o minutes later Adam, pulled in, and after that, Larry. Of course they did not get out. The word had been passed along. IDIOTS!!!!! ("of course it's Larry. I see his big-ass nose," said guy in the crowd. In front of me, a father and his 2 daughters. They were adorable. The dad has a HTDAAB on his CD player and was singing long, joined in by the pretten daughters, who were well versed in the band. They rescued the afternoon for me. Edge pulled in the same way 20 minutes later. He was very late.

The show was FANTASTIC, though I had nosebleed seta (Box 419), and it all seemed to be a mixture of casula beer-drinkers or hard-core dancinga d singing fans, no in between. We went NUTS, screaming at the top of our lungs, and teh guys in the box on my right were particularily noisy. Bono several times looked up and clapped out way. I hope it occurred to him that these were real fans who git shut out, not just a great show thus was b/c even the upper rafters were going nuts! Oh well!

After the show, I went back to the same area. I had told people that the band sometimes liked to come out very late at night like in Boston. It was getting VERY cold and windy, several people hasd scarves and fal jackets. There were the same huge bunch from thus afternoon. was one Interferencer inb there I think. I was on the right hand time this time. It was midnight. We waited the next hour and half, while it started to drizzle and the wind blew. We began to shiver. Were we going away? NO!!:wink: Nobody thought they'd come out, since the trucks were all pulling away..Philly the next day. There were 4 black SUV's parked we all stared at. Finally, at 2 AM (yes, you heard me, 2 in the morning), familair faces from 50 feet! We start screaming! This timre I was in fronmt with an unobstructed view! "There he is! That's him"--"BOONNNOOO!!!!!" And HE Spread his arms wide and BAGAN WALKING OVER!!! Pandemonium. He was as short and sweet and BEUTIFUL as I remembered..but it was EDGE i was waiting for. He had on the adorable green Irish cap, the shades, and the purple shirt from pics (MY does he look good in purple!!)

I have to cntunie this later..the computer will shut down now

Damn it! I knew I should've waited :scream: but I had to get up and go see him at Barneys today!!! That made up for it and was well worth it!

Yeah.

I'm trying to find an open internet cafe. Or there MIGHT be a compute openm at the colllege..and there's alot of the afternoon tale I left out oo. Don't worry, this is going tobe very lonmg and detailed,I might put my Show review here too.

I'll clur you in on the rest, but in short, Bono camr out at 2 AM, Edge 10 mins, later, Adam didn't (though her waved) and Larry got out and did a good 10 mins at (read it) 2:30 in the morning. We saw the van pullk by with Ali, Jordan and Eve bouncing in the back seat, etc.

There's lot to tell, be back Asap and I won't disppoint! It was FREEZINF cold ands raing by that point though!

wow! This is a great story, can't wait to read the rest of it!
10 minutes of Larry? That is awesome!
I don't know what else to say, but thanks for sharing and good for you for sticking in there and getting your moments with the boys!

No, it was 2-2:30 AM for MAdison Square Garden Sat 21st.

One4U2, after seeing those Barney's pics, I wish I could have left a bit later! WHY didn't you tell me?!?! I hadn't bought my train ticket yet and could have left a lot later.I thought they were all literally leaving for Philly right from the venue!!

Anyway, let's back up to when Bono's SUV pulled into the lot. Like heat-seeking missles, that group of 15 people or so zeroed in on his van, snapping pics etc. For maybe 30 seconds they had the car stalled. He could not go forward. Finally they were able to get though, and he waved. But he had clearly been going to stop and getout, and ow he didn't. WHY are some people so dumb??? CAN'T they see that if there is mob scene going on, any sane person would be justifiably frightened, no matter how much security they've got? Iam sure this was behind the decision for Adam, Larry and Edge to just go through too. I feel bad for the hip dad with his two preteen daughters, who were just as big fans. They were siging along to each other, it was adorable.

After meeting up with my bunch of Wirelings and getting my ticket from my friend, we split up (they were single nosebleeds, after all, gotten by miracle for face valur in the presale--wisely, we saved our Propaganda numbers and have GA's for at least 2 shows each in the fall), and went in. Comig from the Provinces as I do (Albany), I'm always a little awed by the Garden. Inside and out. I love the mall/lobby etc. The day before, there was a graduatio going on, today, U2. It figures, but it's surreal.:) And I may be 36 but I stillhave achildlike excitement about rock shows. I can never develop anything like profesional detachment. About the music, yes, but a concert, I'm still totally into the experience. I love EVERYTHING. For part of the afternoon before the show, they played HTDAAB in its entirety in that immense lobby complex and ther was little accompanying light show on parts of the ceiling. Big deal! You say. But it gave me the shivers, at first I thought, "Wait, you can't hear sound check out here!" Hearing sound check has always given me the goosebumps.

We went into MSG around 6:30-7, about 15 mins before KIngs of Leon came on. My seat turned out to be better than I expected. For one thig, the SOUND is just as good at the very top of the arean as it is in the bottom tier, having been in the GA for the 9/11 MSG shows, I can compare notes. That really surprised me, I wonder if that's MSG"s state of the art soud or some sound innvoation that Joe and the Garden crew worked on. I was in Box 419, which was almost directly on Adams' side of the stage, in the very top rows. I had never been at a show where th top tiers filled up so fast. I found my seat and watched the GA slowly fill up. Which it really didn't until KOH had almost finished. With every person who slowly filed in and bagan moping around, I burned with resemtment. I'm sure I wasn't alone. But I wasn't complaining, because I was lucky to get in, and the sound was excellent, and the view far better then I expected. I was sure that the guys woud be like dots and that you'd need binocs to see individual moves. There were screens facing alsides, but to my surprise I didn't need them. I could see fine.

During the show, it was strange; my box and area were filled either with hard-core fans, older and not so, OR dead head drinking beer types. There were no "casual" fans, no in between. Well, maybe the couple next to me were in between. They drank beer AND danced, and even sang a couple. I couldn't figure them out. After "Mysterious Ways" somebody broke out the stash, big time, heavy too, in that semi-enclosed space; and I am quite sure I was just a TEENSY bit high leaving the place. Maybe that's why I was crazy enough to stay out until 2:30 AM in the freezing blwoing cold and rain. Welll...maybe not.

:wink:

The show itself, FANTASTIC. The first 3 songs or so, the crowd as a bit quiet, but after "Eleation" it was sky high. I coiud feel the music, but as good as the singalong was, the fantastic crowd response (I think this was a great crowd, period; KOL got a suprisingly loud and appreciative response, which delighted those guys) was best. But that was the one thing I could not feel, unlesI myself stopped singing. There is something about actually being down in the MIDDLE of a U2 crowd when it;s realy going and feeling that electric WAVE wash over you. As good as the show was last night, the fact was, we were above the Wave. We could only watch, not experience. The god music was not enough. That is the one detractor for nosebleeds for U2. No matter the enthusiasm of the fans. The box next to us, Box 420 I think, whatever it was to the left of us, were particularily enthusiastic. Lots of Prop members there, eh? I felt weird, going GA-style nuts from the very top rows, but this was a u2 show. Who cares! And Bono seemed to appreciate it. Several times during the show, he passed along the ellipse and gave us a wave upwards. He didn't do that to the stage right! (Though I wonder if he was thinking, "WOW, this crowd is so good that even the top rows are that connected, or was that just all the fans who didn't get the good seats?" I HOPE it was the latter, B. Hope you figured that out. Though my worst nightmare didn;t come true: the GA, filled mostly with corporate types, was won over by 6 songs in. Bono drew tem out but they remained nuts right to the end. New converts! *Sigh*There were a couple people in my rows who were a bit nuts though. Take "real" fan and alcohol in large quantities, mix, and it makes for.....interesting watching.

Bono was fairly talkative, and seemed to be back to his usual gesturing self. I'd heard rumors about his back and head earlier this week. (He'd also gone in to check up on a severe headache.) He dedicated Miracle Drug to Jeffry Sachs (I THINK it was MD), which along with "Yahweh" is becoming an exntry in my Top 10 U2 faves. You've seen the set list. By the time they got to OOTS, I shouted down from the balcony, "Hope you figured out how to PLAY it!" This being a U2 show, I was not embarrassed in the least. Even though I knew he couldn't possibly hear me. Surprise, they did it. And GOOD! I got the chills. It's come a long way from the Brooklyn Bridge version. Really. What power and beauty this song has! I wish there was some way they could get radio to open up to it, without a commercial! One of the most adorable things I've seen in a while was that young dad and his preteens girls in the line dancing and singing to OOTS, led by DAD on the Discman. Those are the kinds of things thay stay with you a while. Even from up above, the corwd response was enormous. THis was shaping up to be one of the better shows so far, I could tell. Adam did his wak of the ellipse, boucing away in that charming new way he has, and I coud almost see him smile. Larry was signing along again. They didn;t plan to do OOTS you could see the band conference go on. It was a surprise. Maybe they were planning to get that started in Europe. The "African Flag" montage was breathtaking. From the high vantage poiht, the light show of the ellipse looked fantastic to. And have people noticed the "beating heart" of tha line of lights by Edge----and Larry's beat--during MD? Genius.

You could tell the band were moved. They had a big group hug towards the end. It's always very moving to me to see the rare public demonsrations of the brotherly love these guys have for each other. It's surprising and touching still. We know aboutt the spats, of course, but their love and respect they havr for each other shines over all else. At these times I can't help but think of "One" and the way that it was always first and formost about them. And that those lyrics we all cherish are first and formost a promise between the four of them. "We get to carry each other." Sorry, I"m remembering the way that group hug looked from up above. And getting the chills!! Nomatter what they try to apply "One" to (and we all know right now what it is), it's about them--and us.

I had told several people in the afternoon that sometimes the band come out very late at night after the show, at midnight or way later, if they didn'tcome out during the day. IF the crowd was "right." I told them I was coming back right after the show. So I was in a hurry to get back there after the show was over. (My one gripe: after waiting 22 yrs to FINALLY hear "40", this had to be the show they DIDN'T play it at!!!!!! But I see why they chose Vertigo instead. Same as Brooklyn Bridge. "40" wou;d have neded the show too slow and spoled the vibes, Vertigo was better. Oh well, maybe I'll hear it in the fall. By the time I got there, there were 50-60 people jammed up against the abrricades, Oh no. Not again. Wel, that won't stop me! So I got to the other side of where I had been this afternnon, and managed to squeeze in to the front. It had gotten VERY cold, and very windy. I saw people with scarves and light winter coats on. Firday night, my friend and I had gone to the Ziegfiled to see the new Star Wars film (twice--6 and 9 PM showings, oK, we were pathetic, but we were U2 AND SW geeks! And proud! The Ziegfiled crowd was a sgood as the U2 one. LOts of lightsabers, a couple costumes, and intense crowd participation druing the film. They even CHEERED AND APPLAUDED the cornball dialogue bewtween Anakin and Padme! Huh?!?!?! Well, actualy, they laughed and groaned, but oddly applauded and cheered when the scene was over. Giving George's Typewriter a tribue I guess. I LOVE the "Rocky Horror Momets" stuff!

:ohmy:

Myself, I had thin trouser socks on, and a think hoodie over my shirt... Not enough. (As of this, I'm still sniffling..the weather is lousy in Albany too.) I had no umbrella. I hadn't broight one. We stod there and shivered from midnight until about 2. The people next to me--a blond-hired mom and daughter team--a grown daughter, maybe 27)..the mom wanted a hug from Edge. Bad. She kept talking about this. I felt bad for her. I took out my pic of Edge and I from Bsoton. She went nuts, wanted to know aobut him. Oh Boy, I thought, here we go.??

12"15. 12:30. The security, another guy this time, tries to tell us to move, there's another group on the other side where the band went. RIGHT. The cops left. We saw throught that one too. FInally they realized we were not going to be gotten rid of, so they set up the bu barricades again. The crew were loading the truck for te trip to Philly, I had read "U2 Show" (the coffee-table book) and was fascinated by this. I felt like I knew these guys. The business of touring, the phsyical part, is amazing anyway. How they do allthis stuff so fast and never have any problems. I loved being able to see Joe O Herlihy at the sound boardlast night. It;s now like a whole headquarters. 1 AM. I:30. Trucks pullin and out. A huge door opens. We see personnel going in and out, from a distance of 50 feet or so. We see 4 black SUV's identical to the ones the band had come in parked there, and drivers standing by. And anothr black smaller car too. Several times, shadws appear and retract. Someone cals, "Bono's silhouette!" and we laugh. Dispite the wet and intense cold, the mood is jovial. IN addition to freezing, I am beginning to nod off. I've been sleepless for 3 days. I am hanging over the rail, tryingnot to step in a deep puddle. Bit I am not giving up my good vantage point.

Many in the crowd leave. The group is now down to maybe 40 people lined up, by 2 AM. Never though do we think we are nuts. Only U2 fans would be this pathetic. Fortunately, we know they understand:wink: FINALY, at about 2, there he is! We see him walking to the car..a dark but easily recognozable figure in th shadows. People calling out from our distance, "BONOOOO!" "There he is!" "come on over, Bono!" etc. His head snaps around, a HUGE grin envelops his face, he spreads out his arms and starts walking quickly towards us. How could I doubt? The man truly is ready for anything. I am strangely calm. I've never actually met him, though I saw him cross to his limo on his way to speaking at HArvard in Boston 4 yrs ago. Now, here he is!!!!!

He went to the left and worked his way down. Finaly, after about 5 mins or so, he reached our end. I can't believe how calm I am. Physicaly, he looked GREAT; stories abouthim looking old are hogwash. Sure, his hairline is slowly receding,and all hi hair is completely gray, and

(will continue right now, in a seperate post)

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

One4U2, after seeing those Barney's pics, I wish I could have left a bit later! WHY didn't you tell me?!?! I hadn't bought my train ticket yet and could have left a lot later.I thought they were all literally leaving for Philly right from the venue!!

Did we meet? :confused:

Physically, his hairline is receding, all four of them--their hair is completely gray; but facially, Bono looks fantastic. He;s not a poster child for middle age, like Viggo Mortensen is, but he's pretty good. You see the Barney's EDUN pics. Says it so much better. He had on that adorable irish gren cap from the new pics and the bright purple shirt opened 4 or 5 bottoms down the neck, that we've come to love. I don't remember his pants. Sorry. I wasn't looking that way. Though (this being PLEBA) maybe I should have??:) And his shades of course. *Sigh* I wanted to see those beutiful baby blues, B....:( I had been pushed to the 2nd row right then, in the crsuh, but I didn't care..I am an EDGE gal and it was (another) pic with Edge I wanted. ( NOTHING compares to "Mr Orgasmatron"...sorry gals!:) I don't remmbr what he was saying. No singular comments though. Someone told him hoe great the show was and he said "thank you" and singned a few pics etc. AH, that voice and brogue....before I die, I am going to petiton the Almight to let my guardian angel in heaven, or my heavenly guide, to speak in a North Dublin accent, until my husbabds dies and joins me if he's nit there already, and he can soeak in a Dubin accent too. Even though maybe he wouldn't be Irish. That voice..that dear brogue. I'm 5 feet, didn't have to look up at him that far. And then, he was walking back. Out of the three, Bono spent the shortest time with us. We cheered and waved godbyw. Minutes later, a second SUV carrying the family pulled out. We clearly saw Ali (who was smiling...I can see why Bono writes aobut her smile in so many songs...she has a beautiful amile). I saw what I thought were Jordan and Eve bouncing in the back. If it was them, it was charming to see them behaving ike normal teens, not the children of clebrities. I imagined them being told not to wave. At least I thought it was Jordan, by her Daddy-like eyes and very long bright hair. The boys/Paul McG/nanny? must have been in the very back.

After that, 10 minutes or so passed, and Edge came out. We didn't think he was going to come over, but he turned and started to amble on over! This was MY moment, and I was again strangley calm. More than any, the beautiful sounds of this beautiful man had given colr and joy and inspiration to my life. For almost 24 of my 36 yrs, I looked to his "voice" for joy, comfort, hope and healing. Literal healing it was, too, at one point. But I only write, I can't play a note. What do I say to him? Do I say "Edge, I'm so glad that you don't do that vocal in the chorus of "Yahweh" as loud as you used to, because (*ahem* while it WAS pretty) ,you sounded a bit like a vacuum cleaner"? Do you do what you did last time..smile shyly and ask him out and out for a picture? Wuld that be all? Give him some trite remark aobut how great the show was? I'm in turmoil as one af the great heroes of my life is walking towardsme. I ready my camera. I'd gotten a great one of B and now it would him next. Suddenly, there he is, his serene and lovely Celtic features scewed up into a grin. I forgot, really, what he was wearing. WORD. Sorry folks. He is surprisingly short, not too much taller than Bono, hat and all; with his thinness you think he'd be much taller. But he isn't. Of the four, he look the second youngest, after Larry. His baerd was pretty much all gray.white. It seemed. There is a certain sexiness to that, to allowing yourself to age gracefully a little, the gray adds a dashihg air to him, couped as it with the smoother (than larry's) face. Again, waves of soft brogue wash ver me. Did anyone tll Edge he has a lovely speaking voice too? I don't say anything at first, but when he gets down to my section of the line, someone on the end mentions his daughterm says she hopes she'sOK Edge turnd back towards me. He shakes the blonde daughter's hand next to me, and then I reach out and he shakes mine. WHAT do I say? Be calm. Just "Edge,..I hope all is well with your family. God bless." "He nods. "Thank you," and he is moving on. Thinking he is in a hurry to leave, I say no more. But it's really what I feel. We can't mention more than that. And I feel that for me--and a good pic with me not in it..is fine. I shouldmention I was not looking my best. 3 days of little sleep, chilled And sweaty after that show, and the wind tangling my long hair. (For anyone who was there, I was the tiny gal in front with the blue hoodie. Who didn't want her shoe wet.) I looked a mess. I had a pic of him and me already, so I wasn't stressed. That was enough. Edge got to the end, and here is the good part. The blonde mother, who wanted the hug with Edge, well..she asked and HE DID!!! When Edge left, she went bonkers, and I was so happy for her!

Last: (and I know you wanting to hear about this the most:) Larry.

We waited 10 more mijnutes. It was awild shot, but who knew? It started to rain. There were maybe 25 people left. We hollered at him, and SHOCK, he started walking over! I couldn't beleiveit. THis WSa first for me. Maybe becuase it was tarting to rain and freezing. He was wearing the trademark black botton doen shirt. His face looked only slightly aged. He smiled, laughed even alittle, and was very good mood. I couldn;t bleiove it. One girl wearing a low-newcked shirt..she asked for apose with him and pic, and he huuged her and they got one!

OK..they've kicking me off...I have to go. Last part tomorrow,

Wow! That was worth the read (albeit a long one). Another great story. Hope you catch up on your rest (and don't get sick!). Can wait for the rest :hyper:

Teta040 said:
The blonde mother, who wanted the hug with Edge, well..she asked and HE DID!!!

Wow!....If I ever am lucky enough to meet Edge, I am definitely going to ask for a HUG! :drool:

One4U2, I wasn't at Barney's. I meant that I could have gone to Barney's the next day if I knew about it and waited until Sunday to buy my train ticket and leave. If you mean "did we meet" at the Garden, I told you what I looked like. There was one Interferencer there. Did we meet then?

Excuse the rampant typos from previous posts. It's called chronic sleep deprivation. Sorry.

Before I start this last bit, there's a story I told a few people in line. 4 yrs ago, at the Albany Elevation show, I had a small encounter with Adam and David, Larry's bodyguard. I didn't know it was him though. The security at the Pepsi Arena in Albany are rude, and heavy-handed with people. They are real jerks. So I thought Dave was one of the local security, accompanying Adam. After Adam left, he stayed around a bit. I fired off a polite (but highly loaded) diatribe about what you guys think you were doing, etc. I don't remember what I said, but I ended it with "And it;s not like you know the band!" He gave me this look, and then walked away. the next day, when I told this story to Wire, someone sent me picture of Dave and told me who it was. For those of you who don't know, the band's bodyguards are very similar in personality to their bosses. So you do NOT want to mess with Dave! Maybe he was a gentleman and wouldn't curse out a lady. I don't know. When I found out I had said THAT to Larry's bodyguard, I died, and couldn't go anywhere near the Web for 2 or 3 days.

So I was hoping that Larry would be alone if he walkedover. Even though Dave couldn't possibly remember me.

So there we were, freezing and now starting to get soaking wet., at 2:30 AM. We knew Larry was the last. It sure wasn't my idea to try and get him to come over, but the bunch I was with were delightfully nuts. My kind of fan and the kind I wish we had at home! When he appeared in the bright doorway, they started hollering. He hesitated and then WALKED OVER!! Oh GOD!!! Is this happening? As the crowd surges forward I try to theorize why this is. Maybe b/c of the rain. Or maybe serial fatherhood has turned Larry into a nice guy. I don't know?? When Larry got over to us, SHOCK, he was smiling, and relaxed. No hurry. Even though I am an Edge gal, only someone frigid would not have a NC-17 rated reaction to this guy. And one look at his smile, I had it...I leave it up to you to know what this reaction consists of, UM, this being PLEBA, I can't even elaborate here....it happened with Edge after I shook his hand (funny, I thought his palm would be all heavily calloused but it wasn't. That's what picks are for, you dummy!). Welll. OK...I'll say it......let's just say I'd need a new pair of undies! His hair was getting soaked and it looked dark brown plastered to his head. He was wearing the by-now de rigeur black button-down shirt and black pants. Yes, I WAS looking that way..couldn't help it. :wink: Out of the four, he looks the second youngest. Edge, sorry to say, has a smoother face. Maybe it's the meat-eating (he was a vegetarian up until a couple yrs ago) or sleepless nights woth the 3 kids, or smoking, but you do see the lines around his mouth from a distance. Other than those lines (which are as prominent as Bono's used to be in the 80's, but aren't now that his face has filled out with age) he still looks young. I couldn't stop looking at his ARMS.....dear GOD:drool: . Those buff drummer's arms. And he delights in showing them off. Have we ever seen him with long sleeves? And his voice is lovely as well. A very soft voice, even softer-spoken than Edge. Larry really does seem to be quite shy, around the girls anyway. It really comes through. Out of the three, he certainly was. He hardly looked up, except when he was posing with people, and with his head bowed smiled all the time, which GOD in HEAVEN made him even more attractive, if that was possible. Edge hides behind a quiet aura of almost womanly mystery, and Bono beams in-your-face primal animal charisma that just sucks you in, but Larry's sexiness (aside from his good looks) also comes from his utter lack of pretension. He's like the girl who doesn't know she is beautiful. Out of the four, it's the easiest to imagine him just an ordinary Joe who happens to be rich and famous. He really does seem to be shy around women. Up to a point, of course, but you know what I mean. He'd be better in one-on-one situations.....oh my..did i just SAY that? You KNOW what I mean though. He moved down the line, signing things. I couldn't manage more than a "hi, Larry" and he smiled at me...and I forgot to take a picture!!! My hand would not move. Can you blame me? I admire every one who was able to concentrate on just pushing a button.:)Sweet Lord Jesus, but the man was ten times more attractive in person than the pics. It almost made me betray Edge...:)One girl in a lowcut white T-shirt (she must have PNEUMONIA by now!) asked for a pic with him, and he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close, while they took it. There was a lot of laughter. He signed one girls' HTDAAB booklet , and another picture. One guy down at the front began to talk about his performance, and he said "Yeah, it is tiring. I really love it though. ("loove" in that ACCENT....You know what I mean.) I am hanging on every word.) The crowd are great, you people have been really great" (we cheered).." and I didn't catch the rest. He hugged another girl (who was frozen to the spot for maybe a minute after he left) . Then a bunch of people wanted pics. He started loosening up and warming up to us. He leaned over and posed with so many people. The last guy on the row seemed to be a musician b/c they got into a discussion and I could see Larry's hands moving as if he was playing. (STOP your intellectualizing and get backover to us!) I think he must have been glad to get away from the drooling fangirldom for a while. Imagine, it must be tough spending your whole life fending off females of every age who fall out of the trees after your shadow passes on the street. I imagine him giving Eve lessons on how to deal? :) She drums in the garage, I saw in an article. Adorable.."uncle" Larry giving drum lessons to Bono's daughter..and I guess giving her lessons on how to fend off the boys too.

And that was it.

He left. I couldn't move for 5 minutes....:ohmy: We all waved goodbye, "Thanks Larry!" I found I could speak again, and shouted, "Goodbye Lawrence!" Thank God he didn't hear me. I didn;t have the nerve to tell him the story of the bodybuard though. He would have killed me..though the prospect of being strangled by those hands, hey, I'd die happy.

Last edited:
PS. "Ice skate"? Were you referring to the cold, or "hell hath frozen over"? I heard he came out in Boston once during Elevation, but that was with the whole band.
LOL:wink:

Your story is abso:censored:lutely unbelievable, amazing, everything. Thank you so much! I felt like I was really there with you - congratulations!

I went straight to bed after the MSG gig to prepare for my GA line-up in Philly the next day but one of my friends stayed at the venue until 2 am.

He said Bono was drunk when he came out and did a "leprechaun dance" for the crowd, hehe, too bad I missed it!

Larry's been out and about before - he spent a good 20 mins with the crowd after the Oct. 24th 2001 MSG show. He kept referring to me as the "book girl" because I had a book that he would use to sign autographs on so he made sure the "book girl" was always beside him during his walkabout...:drool:

Last edited:
LOL! That's awesome. You're very lucky. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up. The part about Edge sounding like a vacuum cleaner made me laugh so hard :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom