MERGED --> Washington 10/19 pictures + Bono at the White House + Bono & Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miringeltje

An Interferer
Washington 10/19 pictures

From Yahoo News (an AP photo)

2005_10_19t161414_280x450_us_bono_b.jpg

from the press briefing..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/10/20051019-2.html

A couple of other updates on the President's schedule. The President right now is having lunch over in the residence with Bono.* As you are aware, Bono is in town for some concerts. This meeting with Bono follows up on their discussion at Gleneagles during the G8 summit that took place in Scotland. They have a very good discussion at the G8 about our common priorities. Both share a deep commitment to combating AIDS, preventing malaria, and expanding trade to lift people out of poverty, particularly in developing countries. And Bono is scheduled to be meeting with Steve Hadley, as well, today -- our National Security Advisor -- to talk about some of those issues, too.

Scott, two questions. This is a serious one. Since you raised Bono, is there --

MR. McCLELLAN: Those were serious, too.

Q But this is serious about Bono. Is there a possibility he might be given a position in the administration? He's a big name.

MR. McCLELLAN: I haven't heard that. I think he's enjoying the career that he has right now and doing all the good work that he does on behalf of people who are suffering in developing countries.

Q But is he considered an advisor or supporter of the administration?

MR. McCLELLAN: He's someone who has a lot of influence and is committed to helping people who are in need, and lifting people out of poverty, and helping those who are suffering from AIDS. And those are priorities that the President shares. And so they've had some discussions over the last few years, and we appreciate the opportunity to visit with him.

Bono Discusses the World's Poor With Bush

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

Before getting on stage before his fans in a Wednesday night concert, U2 frontman Bono bent President Bush's ear about the world's poor.

The rock star and the president had lunch in the private dining room off the Oval Office, ordering from the menu at the same mess hall where White House staffers get their lunch. Bush, dressed in the classic presidential uniform of suit and red tie, also showed Bono, dressed in his trademark black jeans and sunglasses, around the Oval Office.

Bono told Rolling Stone magazine in an interview before they dined that he had no fear of meeting Bush or any other world leader.

"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," Bono told the magazine for an article on newsstands Friday. "I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. On a spiritual level, I have that with me. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent.

"The moral force is way beyond mine, it's an argument that has much more weight than I have. So I'm not feeling nervous."

Over an hour and 40 minute meeting, Bono and Bush discussed debt relief, AIDS, malaria and world trade, said presidential spokesman Scott McClellan. McClellan said they also talked about the concerts that U2 was preparing to put on at Washington's MCI Center Wednesday and Thursday night.

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono heaped praise on Bush for providing $15 billion to help fight AIDS in Africa, money that is helping pay for anti-retroviral drugs. He said he was disappointed that Bush and Congress had cut the Millennium Challenge program that gives foreign aid to countries that pursue political, economic and human rights reforms, but he'll keep pushing them to fund the full amount that the president promised.

Bono said he is "capable of having a row" if he doesn't get what he wants. He said he once criticized Bush for not getting the Millennium Challenge money out quick enough and was rebuked for it.

"One senator threw a newspaper at me in a meeting. 'How dare you disrespect the president of the United States!'" Bono told the magazine.

Bono said he doesn't support any president from the left or the right, but he has a hard time criticizing Bush after he has sent the money to Africa. He said he's made it clear that he doesn't support the war in Iraq, but he doesn't campaign against it because his main priority is helping the poor and disadvantaged.

"I work for them," Bono said. "If me not shooting my mouth off about the war in Iraq is the price I pay, then I'm prepared to pay it."

But, he added, "I'm a big-mouthed Irish rock star. Of course it frustrates me."

MrsSpringsteen said:
from the press briefing..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/10/20051019-2.html

A couple of other updates on the President's schedule. The President right now is having lunch over in the residence with Bono.* As you are aware, Bono is in town for some concerts. This meeting with Bono follows up on their discussion at Gleneagles during the G8 summit that took place in Scotland. They have a very good discussion at the G8 about our common priorities. Both share a deep commitment to combating AIDS, preventing malaria, and expanding trade to lift people out of poverty, particularly in developing countries. And Bono is scheduled to be meeting with Steve Hadley, as well, today -- our National Security Advisor -- to talk about some of those issues, too.

Scott, two questions. This is a serious one. Since you raised Bono, is there --

MR. McCLELLAN: Those were serious, too.

Q But this is serious about Bono. Is there a possibility he might be given a position in the administration? He's a big name.

MR. McCLELLAN: I haven't heard that. I think he's enjoying the career that he has right now and doing all the good work that he does on behalf of people who are suffering in developing countries.

Q But is he considered an advisor or supporter of the administration?

MR. McCLELLAN: He's someone who has a lot of influence and is committed to helping people who are in need, and lifting people out of poverty, and helping those who are suffering from AIDS. And those are priorities that the President shares. And so they've had some discussions over the last few years, and we appreciate the opportunity to visit with him.

Man, I'm cracking up at that persons questions--what's he or she been smoking???

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

stonecircle said:
On another forum, someone said this was not a new picture.
:| :shrug:

That was in reference to a different picture, of Bono and Bush shaking hands. When this new story was first released earlier today, there were no pictures available, so some of the services used an old one. The picture above is from today.

And who looks like more like a leader in that picture? Who has the power, according to body language? My vote goes to the guy with the really good legs in the really tight pants.

That photo turns my stomach. I can just hear Bush's handlers -

Spinmaster #1, 'Our approval ratings are in the toilet, we've got to do something'

Spinmaster #2, 'Hey, I heard one of the interns saying something about that Bone-oh person being in town for a concert. How about we get him up here for a photo op?'

Spinmaster #1, 'Aren't you worried that the Prez may get upset about actually having to listen to some of that save-the-world stuff Bone-oh is always going on about?'

Spinmaster #2, 'Come on, you know the Prez never listens to any of these people, he just nods his head with that same blank stare on his.... hey, wait, you were putting me on weren't you? The Prez listen to somebody!! That's a good one, hahahahaha!.'

Spinmaster #1, 'Yeah, gotcha! Hahahahaha!'

"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," Bono told the magazine for an article on newsstands Friday. "I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. On a spiritual level, I have that with me. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent.

Those are some of the BEST words that I have ever heard Bono say on the issue of extreme poverty.

I'm glad that Bono still stands his ground with politicians of all ideologies.

WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DECIDE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

If this were a caption thread, it would have to read

"Bozo & Bono"

I bet Bozo calls Bono Beau-no (as in Sonny "bono")

LMAO, Bono with Bush! Post this on FYM and see how many libs drop dead on the spot!

which one do you think is more qualified to rule the free world?

Bono and Bush

WASHINGTON (AP) - Before getting on stage before his fans in a Wednesday night concert, U2 frontman Bono bent President George W. Bush's ear about the world's poor.

The rock star and the president had lunch in the private dining room off the Oval Office, ordering from the menu at the same mess hall where White House staffers get their lunch. Bush, dressed in the classic presidential uniform of suit and red tie, also showed Bono, dressed in his trademark black jeans and sunglasses, around the Oval Office.

Bono told Rolling Stone magazine in an interview before they dined that he had no fear of meeting Bush or any other world leader.

"The moral force is way beyond mine, it's an argument that has much more weight than I have. So I'm not feeling nervous."

Over an hour and 40 minute meeting, Bono and Bush discussed debt relief, AIDS, malaria and world trade, said presidential spokesman Scott McClellan. McClellan said they also talked about the concerts that U2 was preparing to put on at Washington's MCI Center Wednesday and Thursday night.

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono heaped praise on Bush for providing $15 billion to help fight AIDS in Africa, money that is helping pay for anti-retroviral drugs. He said he was disappointed that Bush and Congress had cut the Millennium Challenge program that gives foreign aid to countries that pursue political, economic and human rights reforms, but he'll keep pushing them to fund the full amount that the president promised.

Bono said he is "capable of having a row" if he doesn't get what he wants. He said he once criticized Bush for not getting the Millennium Challenge money out quick enough and was rebuked for it.

"One senator threw a newspaper at me in a meeting. 'How dare you disrespect the president of the United States!' " Bono told the magazine.

Bono said he doesn't support any president from the left or the right, but he has a hard time criticizing Bush after he has sent the money to Africa. He said he's made it clear that he doesn't support the war in Iraq, but he doesn't campaign against it because his main priority is helping the poor and disadvantaged.

"I work for them," Bono said. "If me not shooting my mouth off about the war in Iraq is the price I pay, then I'm prepared to pay it."

But, he added, "I'm a big-mouthed Irish rock star. Of course it frustrates me."

"One senator threw a newspaper at me in a meeting. 'How dare you disrespect the president of the United States!' " Bono told the magazine.

"I'm a big-mouthed Irish rock star. Of course it frustrates me."

*WOW!*..

Why does this remind me of when people smack there dogs with newspapers for being bad... :|

:lmao:

-Nikki

Back
Top Bottom