MERGED --> OMG! Bono and Ali at Saks 5th Avenue! + More EDUN Pics from Saks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:

Thanks for the reminder

ticketmaster :banghead:

Not to get too off topic, but Lisa71 are you trying for Tampa tickets? :)

I got tickets through a friend who's friend :)huh:) has a coporate sky box at the Forum so she was able to get a couple tickets. I think we'll be in section 129! (Fingers crossed) It takes a load off my mind because I don't have to worry about Ticketmaster. I can't go to any other shows so I was scared about getting tickets. Are you going?

Lisa71 said:

I got tickets through a friend who's friend :)huh:) has a coporate sky box at the Forum so she was able to get a couple tickets. I think we'll be in section 129! (Fingers crossed) It takes a load off my mind because I don't have to worry about Ticketmaster. I can't go to any other shows so I was scared about getting tickets. Are you going?

Sorry to jump in, but you're in section 129? I'm in section 129!!!!!

What row/seats?

Peace and BonoLove,

HowthGirl

kellyahern said:
They're trying to create a fairer industry for the workers in those countries and a new way of doing business. Plus they had to find a designer willing to work with them. It doesn't matter to me that I can't afford the clothes.

Lisa71 said:
It's also my understanding they are trying to use Organic materiels, which is very very costly!
The only reason 3/4 of the clothes at Walmart are so cheap is because they are paying people 20 cents to make them.

If the stated goal was simply to add some socially conscious, eco-friendly options to the luxury clothing market, I might agree with this. But when the stated goal is something as grand as 'creating a new business model,' it damn well better matter to someone if kellyahern (and millions of other First Worlders like her) can't afford the clothes.

There are far more people who can only afford Wal-Mart-priced clothing than there are people who can afford to outfit themselves at Saks. For example, in the US--which has the worst income inequalities of the wealthiest 18 countries--1 out of every 6 people (17%) now lives in poverty, and the average real wages of manufacturing and service workers (80% of us) have been declining since the 1970s.

Of course, America's poor are still WAY better off then Africa's. But the point is, the persistence--the growth!!--of poverty and inequality here enables the continued exploitation of people and resources in the Third World that makes Wal-Mart's clothing so cheap. The particular breed of capitalism Wal-Mart thrives on REQUIRES that there always be someone, somewhere, who is so miserably poor and powerless that they have little choice but to accept the kind of working conditions and wages that enable 'cheap' clothing manufacturers to sell their goods at Wal-Mart's prices and still profit. (Not that most luxury clothing manufacturers don't play this game too--they do, and for higher profit margins to boot.)

It's nice if people for whom price is no object when it comes to clothing have an eco-friendly, socially conscious option to choose. But aiming for that tiny market does nothing to address the underlying economic dynamics that have made sweatshop-produced clothing a necessity for many in the First World.

P.S. If you go to any shopping search engine (Froogle, etc.), and try a few keywords like 'organic,' 'cotton,' 'clothing,' you'll find there are LOTS of companies selling eco-friendly clothing, many at far more affordable prices than Edun's. (Quite a few operate under fair-trade principles, too.) None of them are as cheap as Wal-Mart, and most lack the couture flair (and celebrity connections!) to get them featured in Vogue anytime soon; but if you can afford mid-range clothing prices and want to support this kind of 'business model,' this might well be a more realistic option.

HowthGirl said:

Sorry to jump in, but you're in section 129? I'm in section 129!!!!!

What row/seats?

Peace and BonoLove,

HowthGirl

I'm not sure yet. We are waiting on the seats from my friend. She said when she has gotten tickets before it's always been in 129! I sat there last tour too. I'll let you know when I find out!

Lisa71 said:

I'm not sure yet. We are waiting on the seats from my friend. She said when she has gotten tickets before it's always been in 129! I sat there last tour too. I'll let you know when I find out!

Cool! You can e-mail me and let me know, if you'd like! I'm at: ramonaq93@yahoo.com

My husband, Kevin, and I are sitting in section 129 (or "Stage Adam" as Kevin likes to call it - he is thrilled about those seats as Adam is his fave!) and we are in Row L, seats 14 and 15.

I'd love to meet you and say Hi!

Lisa71 said:

I'll be doing my best tomorrow! :lol:

yolland said:

If the stated goal was simply to add some socially conscious, eco-friendly options to the luxury clothing market, I might agree with this. But when the stated goal is something as grand as 'creating a new business model,' it damn well better matter to someone if kellyahern (and millions of other First Worlders like her) can't afford the clothes.

There are far more people who can only afford Wal-Mart-priced clothing than there are people who can afford to outfit themselves at Saks. For example, in the US--which has the worst income inequalities of the wealthiest 18 countries--1 out of every 6 people (17%) now lives in poverty, and the average real wages of manufacturing and service workers (80% of us) have been declining since the 1970s.

Of course, America's poor are still WAY better off then Africa's. But the point is, the persistence--the growth!!--of poverty and inequality here enables the continued exploitation of people and resources in the Third World that makes Wal-Mart's clothing so cheap. The particular breed of capitalism Wal-Mart thrives on REQUIRES that there always be someone, somewhere, who is so miserably poor and powerless that they have little choice but to accept the kind of working conditions and wages that enable 'cheap' clothing manufacturers to sell their goods at Wal-Mart's prices and still profit. (Not that most luxury clothing manufacturers don't play this game too--they do, and for higher profit margins to boot.)

It's nice if people for whom price is no object when it comes to clothing have an eco-friendly, socially conscious option to choose. But aiming for that tiny market does nothing to address the underlying economic dynamics that have made sweatshop-produced clothing a necessity for many in the First World.

P.S. If you go to any shopping search engine (Froogle, etc.), and try a few keywords like 'organic,' 'cotton,' 'clothing,' you'll find there are LOTS of companies selling eco-friendly clothing, many at far more affordable prices than Edun's. (Quite a few operate under fair-trade principles, too.) None of them are as cheap as Wal-Mart, and most lack the couture flair (and celebrity connections!) to get them featured in Vogue anytime soon; but if you can afford mid-range clothing prices and want to support this kind of 'business model,' this might well be a more realistic option.

Excellent, excellent post. Agreed on all points.

pics are up on yahoo :hyper: :)

e2e44944.jpg

f8d1b7bf.jpg

05b3ca91.jpg

ack! thanks kelly...how odd to see bono in a department store :)

HowthGirl said:

HowthGirl

Not to jump in - but Hi Jen! - It's Phyllis. Just here to check out the way too expensive and SMALL Ali Clothes.

Maybe after I've paid off the tickets, I'll have enough left over for a t-shirt!

<giggle - I saw you online!>

Phyllis:wink:

kellyahern said:

I don't freakin believe these photos!!!! youtwohearts and I were standing right there going through that exact rack of clothing waiting :scream: That's the 6th floor mens dept!! Someone clued us in and told us he was in the gentlemens lounge up there! We were the only 2 up there with her daughter and some girl who was waiting for her friend who was a reporter inside!!:scream: :no: We made friends with the security who told us we can wait and see if he comes out!
Next thing I know the store is closing and they told us to leave :mad: So then we went to floor "5" and watched from a distance all the action, Mtv, press, etc
hoping to get a damn glimpse when some snot nose girl asked if we worked for Saks and like an idiot we said 'no' So one of the security guys said we had to leave, literally the entire store was closed! I was having flashbacks of that movie the Toy when they get locked in the toy store :giggle: Soo :censored: close, so faraway...We freaked because literally we were the only ones there! DAMN!! I perused the rack of clothes in these pictures of Bono! That Blue Denim # was $312 :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom