MERGED --> In Memorium: Pics of Bono and the Pope + The Pope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
those shades are UBER coolness ... why would the vatican destroy those pictures? ... I'm sure the pope prolly loved the shades anyway because he was a really cool guy ... I know I woulda loved 'em :wink: but yeah ... the pope's up in heaven now ... I'm sure he's happy, so I can totally live with knowing that ... I give him much respect for he was a great man. and looked great in those sunglasses from what I can tell :)

Jamila said:
Here is a beautiful little article regarding Bono's feelings at the passing of Pope John Paul II:

Bono cheers 'best frontman' Pope

Bono travelled widely as part of his anti-poverty campaigning

U2 lead singer Bono has paid tribute to Pope John Paul II, calling him the "best frontman the Roman Catholic Church ever had".

They met when they campaigned to end world debt and both were nominees for the Nobel peace prize.

Bono described the late pontiff - who died on Saturday - as "a great show man, a great communicator of ideas".

"Without John Paul II its hard to imagine the Drop the Debt campaign succeeding as it did," Bono added.

The Drop the Debt movement campaigns to convince wealthy nations to cancel the debts of the world's poorest countries.

The Pope met Bono, along with other pop stars, aid workers and economists, in 1999 as the movement pushed for rich nations to write off debt owed by developing countries by the year 2000.

"How could you turn this man down?", Bono said about the Pope at the time.

The Pope also strove to understand popular culture and reach out to the world's young people.

In this vein, he once invited Bob Dylan to perform for him at a church congress in Bologna and joined the Eurythmics, Alanis Morissette and Lou Reed at a concert in Rome in aid of debt reduction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4406191.stm

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.

Bono could realize the Good in the Pope because that same Goodness lives within his Heart and Soul.

Tonight, we sing this for the Holy Father, a friend to the world's poor
(pause) and a great wearer of fly shades." -

Bono "40" Anaheim, during the
near last part of the song. :angel:

Thanks for sharing that. :hug:

:heart:

Bono said that The Pope is "Italian". Did he not realise that the Pope was the only Non-Italian in the Vatican for a long time?
The Pope was actually was Polish.
Actually, (Blush) I didn't know he wasn't Italian either.

xtal said:
Bono said that The Pope is "Italian". Did he not realise that the Pope was the only Non-Italian in the Vatican for a long time?
The Pope was actually was Polish.
When did Bono say that? It's hard to believe that he didn't know the Pope was Polish. Most of us around Bono's age remember how big a deal it was when they elected a Polish Pope.

thank you, susanp6!

Bono's reverence toward the Pope was truly touching.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Zootomic said:

When did Bono say that? It's hard to believe that he didn't know the Pope was Polish. Most of us around Bono's age remember how big a deal it was when they elected a Polish Pope.

If you read the news that is on the front page of Interference there's an article that says Bono mentions the Pope on the day he died. In that article it says Bono says that the Pope is the Italian to know....

xtal said:

If you read the news that is on the front page of Interference there's an article that says Bono mentions the Pope on the day he died. In that article it says Bono says that the Pope is the Italian to know....

He probably meant "Italian resident" to know. I cannot imagine Bono not knowing that the Pope was Polish.

I didn't know much about him , but I was sad and almost cried when I heard the news. When I told my co worker she was like for what??????? and was pissed.......... I really cant understand people ............. she was like he's not jesus .......but I told her he's not jesus but he was a man of god and one of god's messengers....and is angry. She was like did u cry when Johnny Cochron died???????? What does that have to do with the situation???????? I couldnt believe her

EveClayton said:
I didn't know much about him , but I was sad and almost cried when I heard the news. When I told my co worker she was like for what??????? and was pissed.......... I really cant understand people ............. she was like he's not jesus .......but I told her he's not jesus but he was a man of god and one of god's messengers....and is angry. She was like did u cry when Johnny Cochron died???????? What does that have to do with the situation???????? I couldnt believe her
If you've got a co-worker who equates a greedy, win-at-any-cost lawyer with one of the most important world leaders in history then you're obviously not dealing with a reasonable person and there is never any point trying to reason with an unreasonable person. Just ignore her.

Some of you may remember this. It's taken me a while to find. It was on one of my many compilation DVDs of videos and photos. It's a promotional video for World Youth Day 2002 which is set to When I Look At The World.

I can't find the original story on U2log.com but I'm sure that's how it was brought to my attention.

It is a 13.3Mb quicktime movie.

If someone can mirror it for me that would be great as I might only be able to keep it online for a day or two. You can use YSI if you want but you'll have to rely on each other to keep an active link available

WYD2002.mov (Right-click Save Target As..)

:)

EveClayton said:

Wow.. that's ridiculous... :huh: I can't believe she got pissed.

Johnny Cochran had a nice serving of karma.

I'm not sure of what Bono meant by the Pope being an Italian. But he's not perfect. Come on, did you guys not notice the misspellings in their IPOD EXCLUSIVE U2 POSTER? He misspelled marriage as 'marraige'. He is not perfect.
He can make a mistake as knowing the Pope is not Italian. I'm sorry I brought it up, as I didn't know it myself. I don't even know why I brought it up, just probably surprised that I didn't know that myself, being half-Catholic.
Everyone is allowed to have made mistakes in thoughts, spellings, etc. I still love Bono and you all. I still love myself, even if I thought the Pope was Italian!

But remember: Nobody is perfect.

And I'm okay with that. :shrug:

@enajh2
Thank you so much for the video.
This year the WYD is in Cologne and I was really looking forward to see the pope there :sad:
At the moment I have a pic of Bono and the pope as background on my mobile phone...

found this on flickr this evening. And thanks to Miroslava for help in resurrecting this thread

BonowithPopeJohnPaulII.jpg

Holy crap!!! :ohmy:

This actually looks like the real thing!!!!

WOW! Never thought we'd see this picture...

Lila, you may want to email that over to Carrie (HelloAngel)

Yes she it...

Seriously, you hit the motherload! :hyper: You can see where to PM her by the News Section...

you mods really need to have AOL IM or Yahoo messenger - this is ridiculous :wink:

I will try and PM HelloAngel by that name
(PMed and emailed)

By the way - anyone have a GA ticket for 11/2? Now is a good time to step forward, LOL

(edited)

Last edited:
It's the real thing!! It's in the new Polish book which was published recently.

Here's a bigger one:

Bonoandpope.jpg

Back
Top Bottom