MERGED--> Finally, more on the Red Campaign + Join Red Campaign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Finally, more on the Red Campaign

From today's Financial Times:

Bono sees Red as means to fight Aids in Africa
By Gary Silverman in London
Published: January 25 2006 22:00 | Last updated: January 25 2006 22:00

American Express, Converse, Gap and Giorgio Armani are joining with Bono, the rock star, to sell products under a new brand, called “Red”, which will dedicate some of its revenues to fight Aids in Africa.

The effort will include the creation of an AmexCo Red credit card that will be marketed first in the UK, targeting an estimated 1.5m British “conscience consumers” who are seen as more likely to buy products associated with a social benefit. AmexCo believes this figure will rise to 4m within three years.

Other Red products available this spring will include Converse sports shoes made with African mud-cloth; a new line of Gap vintage-style T-shirts, in red and other colours and wraparound Emporio Armani sunglasses embossed with a Red logo.

“Red is a 21st century idea,” said Bono, the owner of the brand. “I think doing the Red thing, doing good, will turn out to be good business for them.”

The venture, scheduled to be announced on Thursday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, is the latest in a series of marketing experiments being conducted by big companies worried that television advertising is losing its punch. Many of these efforts, such as Procter & Gamble’s Pampers.com informational website, are based on the idea of using good works or services as a way to gain consumer attention – a notion some are calling “corporate social opportunity”.

John Hayes, chief marketing officer of AmexCo, said Bono “came to us” with the idea for a card that would benefit Africa about 18 months ago. AmexCo decided the rock star’s idea would help it “create pull”, attracting educated, affluent consumers without spending much on direct mail or television advertising.

He said AmexCo and the other partners hoped the Red products could be marketed mainly through public relations and word-of-mouth advertising campaigns, generating advertising savings that would help cover the cost of their contributions for African aid. “We are not going to fill your mailbox with Red mailings,” Mr Hayes said.

The money from Red will go to the Global Fund, a public-private partnership that has committed $4.5bn (€3.7bn) for Aids, tuberculosis and malaria programmes since it was created in 2002. The focus of the Red donations will be on Aids programmes for women and children. AmexCo has agreed to contribute 1 per cent of Red card transactions, plus 1.25 per cent of any spending above £5,000 (€7,200) a year. The card will be available in March.

Bobby Shriver, chief executive of Product Red, said he and Bono insisted their partners see it as a money-making opportunity. “We said you had to make money, because if you don’t make money, you won’t want to invest,” he said. Mr Shriver said the partners had all signed up for at least five years.

Bobby Shriver is such a hoot (had more fun meeting him than Bono), this is awesome, and I love Bono.

I would love to buy socially conscious clothes from Gap. This is good for them since everyone jokes (in a serious, cynical way) that we're wearing clothes made children's children in countries a lot of Gap-wearers don't know exist. Hopefully they'll eventually get behind the concept as a whole, instead of just a single t-shirt line.

:up:

You're welcome. I was pleased to finally see something about this. It's such a cool idea and I hope it's insanely successful!:D

Kariann said:
Thanks for posting this. I had seen that he visited our corp offices in Nov but the info about what he was doing there wasn't posted yet and now I know!

What are your corporate offices, please? Would love to know more.

bono.jpg

wow I'm happy they're starting it now :D
I heard about it on a dutch program when Bono talked about the idea of starting the red campain, and that he was trying to get big business companies in it^^

http://www.joinred.com/products.asp?p=2

want it! wonder what they'll cost tho... and can they guarantee me that Bono wore THOSE I get? :wink: hehe
I'll put me email there for more info about the shades, and the converse's :D
sadly I am afraid you'd have to buy those over the internet.. and I'm not allowed to :(

Bono's Doll said:
GG-do you have The Gap stores where you live? & lots of big name department stores sell Converse.
uhm.. maybe in amsterdam, but I've never seen one there either... also, on the site itself it says the Converse's will only be available in the UK and internet ... I don't like them much... why not red ones?

Why aren't the Red American Express cards being launched worldwide or in both the UK and the US? I'm an American who would love to apply for a Red Amex now -- and I don't see why I should have to wait until fall to get mine.

Anyway, I've already registered at the joinred.com site for more information. :wink:

Join Red Campaign

If you are interested in supporting the red campaign there's a waiting list to sign up on there website: http://www.joinred.com

Put on your RED shoes and dance. American Express, Converse, Gap and Giorgio Armani announce the first RED products to generate revenue stream for the Global Fund.

The campaign, an economic initiative designed to deliver a sustainable flow of private sector money to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, was launched at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Thursday.

So if you fancy Emporio Armani RED greyish Wraparound glasses, a RED Amex card, a RED terra cotta GAP t-shirt (made in Africa), or a pair of funky RED black Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars, you can put your name on the waiting list on the RED site:

**saw this on numerous websites including u2log.com**

from atU2

Apple Computer is issuing invites to a "special event" on March 1st at Moscone Center West in San Francisco. The red-colored invites say "Please join Steve and Bono - Together we can fight it!" surrounding a red ribbon that's adorned with Apple's logo. Rumors have been circulating since late last month that Apple will issue a red iPod as part of Bono's RED Campaign, which was announced at the World Economic Forum.

MrsSpringsteen said:
from atU2

Apple Computer is issuing invites to a "special event" on March 1st at Moscone Center West in San Francisco. The red-colored invites say "Please join Steve and Bono - Together we can fight it!" surrounding a red ribbon that's adorned with Apple's logo. Rumors have been circulating since late last month that Apple will issue a red iPod as part of Bono's RED Campaign, which was announced at the World Economic Forum.

It's a fake, see www.atu2.com

Back
Top Bottom