MERGED ----> Bono pic from today! He's having a contest! + U2 sitting in a tower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabby

Refugee
Bono pic from today! He's having a contest!

Today in Dublin Bono announced a contest to design the band's new tall tower studio in the docklands! A member of U2 will be judging, any architechts among us?

Here's the pic! Sure would like a better view, no shades!

capt.1037133807.ireland_u2_tower_lon107.jpg

Frontman and lead singer for rock band U2, Bono, right, with Peter Coyne, CEO of the Docklands Authority, at Dublin Docklands, Tuesday Nov. 12, 2002. Dublin's dockland redevelopers, who angered U2 by tearing down the group's hallowed old studios, are giving Bono and his colleagues a high-rise penthouse replacement, the two sides announced Tuesday. (AP Photo/PA, Haydn West)

U2 Tenants of New High Rise (AP) November 12, 2002

DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) - Dublin's docklands redevelopers, who angered U2 by tearing down the group's hallowed old studios, are giving Bono and his colleagues a high-rise penthouse replacement, the two sides announced Tuesday.

"The new Dublin is something I'm really excited about," Bono told a press conference alongside leaders of the Dublin Docklands Development Authority.

Earlier this year the state-backed developers successfully fought U2 in court for the right to tear down a building at Hanover Quay where the band had recorded most of its records since the early 1980s. The building became a place of pilgrimage for U2 devotees, some of whom spray-painted elaborate graffiti on its dingy red-brick walls.

The developers said Tuesday their plans to construct a landmark high-rise at nearby Britain Quay would have one key design requirement: U2 has to get the top two floors for its new studios.

The two sides didn't reveal the financial terms of the deal.

The four-member band is listed at No. 6 on the list of Ireland's wealthiest business people. Together Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. own a major Dublin property portfolio and boast an estimated net worth of 676 million euros (US$683 million).

As part of Tuesday's announcement, U2 will be given a vote on the committee that picks the winning architectural design for the 180-foot (60-meter) tower.

Bono said he would have preferred to keep the old Hanover Quay studio with all its history and memories.

"There isn't really a price you can put on it. And whatever the Dublin docklands authority offer us, it's not going to be enough, I can tell you that," he said.

Bono said he hoped the tower would surpass most buildings constructed since Ireland's independence from Britain in 1922. Dublin is renowned for its graceful 18th-century Georgian squares and neoclassical British government structures from the 19th century ? and a dearth of inspired construction since.

"I think for all the years of supposed prosperity, Dublin has precious few extraordinary buildings," Bono said. "Developers and builders have gotten away with a lot over the years. ... It was an extraordinary city way back when, but through corruption and cronyism it has been defaced."

Peter Coyne, the developers' chief executive, said he expected the project to attract proposals from around the world, partly because of the U2 connection. He expected construction to begin next autumn and be completed by 2005.

"This is a fantastic project," Coyne said, noting that the Britain Quay site was "a magnificent corner of the docklands, with water all around it."

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority has spent the past decade transforming Dublin's long-derelict waterfront, where the River Liffey meets the Irish Sea east of the city center, into a major new business and residential center for the capital.

verte76 said:
OMG!! I'm OD'ing on cool Bono pix!!!!:drool: :drool: :cool: :cool: :mac: :sexywink: :evil: :censored:

WOW, I just saw him on VH1's 100 best love songs talking about Never Tear Us Apart and Michael. He had on the same hat, no glasses and better yet a blue shirt to match his eyes :drool:

U2 Sitting in a tower?

LOL ok...I just read that they're going to be building their new studio on a tower...Ok now that's really inaccesible for us fans now lmfao....unless they do a Rapunzel thing where Larry drops his gorgeous locks so we can climb up the building...or we can get our climbing gear and rope ourselves up the tower lol Can you imagine anybody doing that? LOL I bet they're doing that so they can get away from us!!!!!!!! LOL j/k...anywho I think it's pretty kewl (Btw I dunno if anybody else posted about this but if they did i'm sorry) :der:

If only Bono still had his long JT hair! ;) U2 in an ivory tower will have fans climbing the walls! :laugh:

It was sad how Bono said it might be the best thing for Dublin but not for U2. He'd like to keep the old one, he's sentimental and that's one more reason I love him! :love:

verte76 said:
Hey, who knows, this might be the best thing to ever happen to the ladder industry in Ireland.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!
THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE HEARD ALL WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::lol::lmao::laugh::lol:
:hug: verte!

THOSE PICS ARE REALLY PRETTY!!
LIKS SOULNATION SAID BEFORE " Ummmmmmmm Jawline!!!"
Once again, I want to pet him:evil::bono:

:hyper: I like his coat!!!!
*wins Stephanie's fashion seal of approval*
Very cute B-man, very cute!

Re: Bono pic from today! He's having a contest!

Tabby said:
Today in Dublin Bono announced a contest to design the band's new tall tower studio in the docklands! A member of U2 will be judging, any architechts among us?

Here's the pic! Sure would like a better view, no shades!

capt.1037133807.ireland_u2_tower_lon107.jpg

Frontman and lead singer for rock band U2, Bono, right, with Peter Coyne, CEO of the Docklands Authority, at Dublin Docklands, Tuesday Nov. 12, 2002. Dublin's dockland redevelopers, who angered U2 by tearing down the group's hallowed old studios, are giving Bono and his colleagues a high-rise penthouse replacement, the two sides announced Tuesday. (AP Photo/PA, Haydn West)
GREAT!!!A NEW STUDIO 4 U2!!!!!:yes:

Oh, no, now I'm in trouble.........I can see it now:

*U2 fans invade Dublin with ladders*
*ladders are placed around tower where band is working on album*
*fans climb ladders for look at band*
*mayor is outraged*
*police are summoned*

Oh, well, we tried.......:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :silent: :censored: :censored:

Well hey, at least Larry will be happy. No fanatics hanging outside the studio and wasting their time, right? One less place for him to have to deal with his fame. :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Sorry girls, I'm just in a bitter mood today... two papers due on the same friggin' day next week. :huh:

~Bona

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
:hyper: I like his coat!!!!
*wins Stephanie's fashion seal of approval*
Very cute B-man, very cute!

:yes: He gets a thumbs up from me on the coat and the hat-it looks really nice on him.

Scarletwine, I didn't catch him talking about "Never Tear Us Apart" on that 100 Greatest Love Songs list...*is glad VH1 repeats each hour the next night, will have to watch very closely tomorrow night for this clip-nice way to kick off her upcoming three-day weekend :D*

Angela

Back
Top Bottom