Melbourne - September 17, 1984 (20 years ago today)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trabantland

The Fly
“So what’s the deal with this Picasso dude Mr. Wilson?”

A simple question you would expect from your typical 11th grade Art student. But all was not to be typical for me, who asked that above question.

There we were, 12 of us studying Modern Art, 8 girls (Toni was hot, probably still is) and 4 of us guys. Apparently, there was a Picasso Exhibition coming up soon at the Melbourne Arts Centre. Well I thought, at least we get half a day off….

As we arrived at the Arts Centre, Mr. Wilson told us the usual crap about not touching the artwork etc. and to make sure you are well aware of your surroundings to prevent any unfortunate accidents. I just remember thinking that if he talked any longer I wouldn’t be able to hear the chorus of the Eurythmic’s ‘Here Comes The Rain Again’ that was playing over the bus radio at the time (“falling on my head like a memory…..”). We were also told that the afternoon session was closed for schools only and that while we were there, we would probably be the only class and that it would include the head curator showing us around (Wow, How cool!).

We of course had spent many hours in class going over Picasso’s works and of course, would be able to recognise all his works immediately upon seeing them. The exhibition was arranged in a grand hall where one could see every piece at once from any point. Here’s me thinking “Gees, we’ll be outta here in 30 minutes and have to go back to school!” Anyway, while the curator is pointing out and lecturing about various works and looking very resplendent with his purple and pink striped bow tie, I notice 4 guys and a girl all dressed in black looking at some paintings about 20 metres away. Lucky bastards were allowed to go to school dressed up as casual as they like, and one of them was wearing a wide-brimmed black felt hat too! What’s going on here?

Then the girls in our class start whispering and pointing at these kids. Toni goes up to them and lets out a loud gasp, “Bono?” The man (I thought he was a kid because he wasn’t that tall) turns around and says “Hello, and how are you?”

Oh My God! I think I’ve heard about these guys. Didn’t they sing Gloria and New Year’s Day? I believe they did! Hmmmm, let’s go say hello too.

Yep! It’s been confirmed! All four members of U2 and Larry’s woman (all dolled up with a bad 80’s perm, and leather pants too: WOO HOO!).

WOW! There’s 12 of us here (don’t worry about Mr. Wilson) and we were all talking to the band. They loved it, except Larry, he was probably thinking about the Harley he saw one down the road before.

I didn’t even know these guys were in town! Well to be honest, I wasn’t a real big fan but I had heard of them before. F**ken Hell mate, this is great! Bloody awesome! I gotta find out when they’re playing!

So there was a lot of small chit-chat (I can’t truly remember what exactly) about stuff like “How do you like Melbourne?” and “Where’d you get that awesome hat Bono?” and whatever else.

But the bottomline was we had just met and spoken with a cool band from Ireland that made records! I had to find out when they were playing.

AAARGH! By the time I got home and rang the Bass ticket agency, they said tonight’s show was sold out although there was still a handful of tickets left for tomorrow night. They were selling for about $25 I think. I didn’t make that much money in a month with my paper round! Stuff it I said! I called a mate up and said do you wanna go? No worries was the answer. Got my Mum to drive me to Knox City, picked up the tickets for the 18th and we were all set.

Well, the concert was another story that was immense in itself but I ‘ll save that story for maybe another 20 years from now ……

And that’s my story of when I met U2. Now 20 years later, they’re my favourite artist and have been for most of that time and that intro to Until the End of the World still gets me everytime…….

PS: Gees I love Picasso! ;-)

Very sweet story - thanks so much for sharing it with us. :wink:

It just shows that U2 has not really changed over the years of their increasing fame and fortune in their down-to-earth nature and willingness to share with their fans. :hug:

I love to read these early U2 encounter experiences - this one is one of the best I've read. :yes:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

WOW - my (primary) school obviously sucked the big one, we didn't get a side order of hot rockers on ANY of our excursions! :wink:

Nice one Trabantland ~ Ultra

hey

Hi trab......didn't know that you are here as well.....great story (not that i hadn't heard it before :wink:...)...btw, i think i still own you a couple of blank dvds :yes:.....
wild

:sexywink: Wow Trib!!! Thank you for a gr-8(20 years? what kept you? ha-lol!:laugh: )story on how you met & saw them so long ago!1 but..why did you not tell the band you wanted to see them play live? hee..i know, NOW you know!!!:wink: thank again...and how about that Picasso! ha-lol!

Back
Top Bottom