Malibu fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonecircle

The Fly
Hope this is the right place - but has anyone heard if Edge's Malibu home has been effected by the horrible fires going on there right now?

Jeannieco said:
^^ I was wondering the same thing over in FYM
there is a huge thread about the fires...

It's so horrible....
:(

I am worried about Bonofox. She is in the Los Angeles area, and she is a friend. I am glad someone posted a thread because now I can give her a shout-out here too! Bonofox, are you OK?? Speak to me!

Bonocomet lives in the LA area as well, and I am concerned about her and her family as well!

Best wishes to Edge and Morleigh and their family! I am certain that Morleigh is keeping tight tabs on the situation there, since I do believe her family lives in that area.

But I am worried about fellow PLEBAns...Bonofox?? Bonocomet??:(

Freefall said:

I am worried about Bonofox. She is in the Los Angeles area, and she is a friend. I am glad someone posted a thread because now I can give her a shout-out here too! Bonofox, are you OK?? Speak to me!

Bonocomet lives in the LA area as well, and I am concerned about her and her family as well!

Best wishes to Edge and Morleigh and their family! I am certain that Morleigh is keeping tight tabs on the situation there, since I do believe her family lives in that area.

Do you know what area of LA they live in?

Freefall said:

Aww Thank you Free Fall! :hug:!! YES we are ok here, fortunately for us /but not for others..I dont live in canyon counties, Im 15 miles east of LA.. in the suburbs, I hope everyone live in the affected areas all accross So.Cal are ok and stay safe..All day we felt the heat coming our way as well as the ashes and the smell of burning, those winds sure causing a lot of problems!!

Ive been keepin an eye on the news all day, and it really saddens me to see all those houses go down, a lot of areas are in the state of emergency!!

I hope Edges house wasnt affected in Malibu and more importantly that he and his loved ones are safe!!

I'll be heading out to the airport in about a half hour headed to NY as planned but i will definatley keep everyone in my prayers!!!!

Hi OKtoberGirl:wave: Im in LA but not near the fires..I hope BonoComet in San Diego as well as other fans, friends and family are ok :pray:

Last edited:
his house isn't too far from Pepperdine university. I saw on the news the other day that the school was evacuated. I'm not sure if the school was reopened or not.

Also, I have a cousin that lives not too far from the area and I haven't heard from any of my family that she's been directly affected so I'm guessing it's not as bad in that area as it is in San Diego.

Thank you for your concern Freefall :hug: I am in San Diego, and it is bad here. I am fine, my neighborhood is not being evacuated but I know so many people who are, and some still cannot get back to see if they still have a home. Two dear friends both lost their homes yesterday, a brother and sister, both homes lost... I feel so bad for them. They said they had no time to take anything... just themselves and their families... but they are ok and that's what matters. She had a lot of animals though including horses, and I don't know if they were saved. Besides a little bit of asthma trouble I've been an extremely lucky one. Thanks so much for asking :hug: My best wishes go out to everyone else too :hug:

The neighborhood where the Edge's house sits is still under mandatory evactuation but I don't think it's in any danger right now. The fire is 75% contained (as of 6:15 tonight) and the firefighters that have been in Malibu are being sent to other areas, so I think things are getting much better there.

I knew Malibu stuck in my mind for some reason but had forgotten why.

Not only Morleigh's family lives in the area, but the brand new property Edge just bought sits in one of the canyons near to the area affected, as was said. I'm sure Edge and Morleigh are keeping tabs...he's probably flown over there and is prob there as we speak. I hope the family is OK.

Living in NY State I can't imagine all you guys are going through. Cali is going through so much these days! I applaud everyone who chooses to live there and stick it all out.

Someone point me in the direction of more info on the Santa Ana winds? Apparently this happens every year?

BonoFox, Bonocomet and all you in the area...I will keep all of you in my prayers. Stay safe and strong. God bless.

BonoFox1 said:

Aww Thank you Free Fall! :hug:!! YES we are ok here, fortunately for us /but not for others..I dont live in canyon counties, Im 15 miles east of LA.. in the suburbs, I hope everyone live in the affected areas all accross So.Cal are ok and stay safe..All day we felt the heat coming our way as well as the ashes and the smell of burning, those winds sure causing a lot of problems!!

Ive been keepin an eye on the news all day, and it really saddens me to see all those houses go down, a lot of areas are in the state of emergency!!

I hope Edges house wasnt affected in Malibu and more importantly that he and his loved ones are safe!!

I'll be heading out to the airport in about a half hour headed to NY as planned but i will definatley keep everyone in my prayers!!!!

Hi OKtoberGirl:wave: Im in LA but not near the fires..I hope BonoComet in San Diego as well as other fans, friends and family are ok :pray:

Yay!! Thanks, Bonofox1...God bless you on your trip out. Bonocomet gave me a bit of response in the Leather Day thread...so that's a bit of worry off my shoulders! :faint:

Bonofox...:hug: I'll be back in New York in December. Too bad I can't run into you sooner, friend!

Bonocomet...whew:hug: I am sooo glad that you and yours are safe. I didn't realize that you were IN San Diego...ohhh, girlfriend! Thank you, by the way, for the update on your situation. Be strong, indeed!

God, please send the rain to LA county and the canyons!!!

Last edited:
Hey Bonocomet....It's me Avi-girl!:wave: :wave:

I have a good friend in Carlsbad...they were evacuated Mon. night ....they say it is major scary..they have ash all over their cars and can smell the smoke....thankfully they are OK...Hope you are too!

Bonofox1...are you in NYC now, or back home in L.A.?

Bonocomet, how is home doing in San Diego? Saw you posting a storm in the Bono in NYC thread!

Away from the tube, so I can't see what's going on in California!

Hi :wave: Thanks everyone for all your concern, it really does mean a lot! I'm fine, no worries, and BonoFox is in NY having a blast and seeing Bono :)
The firefighters got a break when the weather changed and things are getting better, though there are still some evacuations and fires burning. Many people in San Diego have now returned home. Sadly there are many who lost their homes though (nearly 1,800 I believe). About one million people had been evacuated :ohmy: San Diego children are expected to go back to school on Tuesday Oct 30th. (All schools and colleges have been closed for a week) The air is getting better too. However the biggest of the fires, (the Witch fire) is still burning and only about 45% contained still I think... and the fires still threaten over 20,000 homes. I sure wish we would get some rain!

Hey avi-girl ;) I'm glad everything was ok with your friend in Carlsbad.

I hope everyone here and their friends and family affected by this are doing well. Take care and thanks again everyone for checking on us :hug:

Last edited:
bonocomet said:
Hi :wave: Thanks everyone for all your concern, it really does mean a lot! I'm fine, no worries, and BonoFox is in NY having a blast and seeing Bono :)
The firefighters got a break when the weather changed and things are getting better, though there are still some evacuations and fires burning. Many people in San Diego have now returned home. Sadly there are many who lost their homes though (nearly 1,800 I believe). About one million people had been evacuated :ohmy: San Diego children are expected to go back to school on Tuesday Oct 30th. (All schools and colleges have been closed for a week) The air is getting better too. However the biggest of the fires, (the Witch fire) is still burning and only about 45% contained still I think... and the fires still threaten over 20,000 homes. I sure wish we would get some rain!

Hey avi-girl ;) I'm glad everything was ok with your friend in Carlsbad.

I hope everyone here and their friends and family affected by this are doing well. Take care and thanks again everyone for checking on us :hug:

Thanks, Bonocomet. Sorry to hear about the 1800 who lost their homes. That must be really hard for them. I hope that life returns to a semblance of normalcy in the San Diego region, and I am really glad that you and your family are all right. To lose everything is a frightenening prospect...glad you're safe....:hug:

I live a not far south of one of the fires but we're in no danger here thankfully. The smoke has been rough tho. Everyone has had trouble breathing, and it's like you're sick along with allergies, and it's made me kinda nauseated the last few days. I know there was a really cool castle/wedding venue in Malibu that was totally destroyed, and that wasn't too far from Pepperdine and Edge's neck of the woods. Hopefully everything is ok w/Edge and Morleigh...does anyone know if they're in LA? They probably are as they spend more of their time here.

Anyway, it's come out that a at least two of the fires were caused by arson, one was caused by a downed power-line, and one was caused by a generator exploding. If I'm correct the one in Malibu near Edge was caused by arson!

Just an update from here.

Mel

PS Dreamchaser is ok for anyone wondering, she lives in the middle where there aren't any fires.:yes:

:wave: I'm just checking in, from San Diego. I actually heard about the fires while at Stonehenge (I am just back from a glorious 3 week vacation of Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England). My son who lives in San Marcos and goes to Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM) called me frantic as they were being evacuated. It wasn't mandatory so he stood his ground and thankfully was ok. It was a very long journey home for me wondering about friends, co workers & family as I'd tried calling a number of people when we got back to our London hotel after the Stonehenge outing only to get answering machines. It was extremely eerie flying over the blackened and scorched state, especially over San Diego which looked like a ghost town with only a smattering of cars on the roadways at what would have been high commute time. The air has been thick with smoke and ash and as Popbellydancer said it kind of makes you feel lethargic and sick and your eyes burn when you go outdoors. I am lucky as I live in a beach community of San Diego and we weren't affected, but the outer areas like East county and North county were hard hit. Schools evacuated and shut down along with LOTS of companies (including mine) but slowly people are venturing out, many evacuees are being let back into their neighborhoods and cleaning smoke and ashen damaged areas and Red Cross, FEMA, etc. are working frantically round the clock helping those misplaced and without homes. I know of many from work, friends, acquaintences who lost their homes and it really is sad. I am a bit peeved with the NFL that those evacuees at Qualcomm stadium were moved to the Del Mar Fairgrounds so the Chargers could play football today.

The Santa Ana winds died down the day I came home (Tues evening) thankfully as they are hot, furnace-like and very dry winds that come the opposite direction (from the deserts rather than air flowing in off the Pacific ocean inland). The Santa Anas always fuel the fires and the weather becomes very eerie when they begin to blow. It gradually cooled off and we had some rain yesterday which was welcome. The air is still smokey, lots of people are staying indoors or those outdoors are wearing masks. The skies turned blue today, but there's a smokey horizon hanging heavy, reminding us of what's happened. Many communities have pulled together to re-build and rescue workers and firefighters are being welcomed, thanked and rewarded with free food, drink, clothing, services all over which I think they are more than deserving of. My son is a server at an Olive Garden restaurant. He served a table of a dozen firefighters last night who came in grubby, tired, smelling of smoke, but hungry. They were applauded by all in the restaurant. They were told their meals would be free, anything and as much as they wanted but they refused the free food. Instead they settled for paying 50%. My son refused to take the tip they insisted on leaving and instead donated it. I am so proud of him. I was in a Mervyns store Friday where I witnessed a woman (she was obviously wealthy) as she had people with her checking out, bagging and lugging big bags of mens, womens and childrens socks and underwear that she was taking to shelters and evacuation centers as donation. I got into my car and just cried. It's been quite an emotional week here, but one where my faith in a caring humanity has been restored.

My thoughts and prayers are with all who have lost their homes and with those who still don't know. I've donated to the Red Cross and hope anyone who wishes to help out in some way do the same.

~Karen, San Diego

Last edited:
I'll bet that was not easy coming home to this Carek :hug: I'm glad you had a nice vacation though, that's awesome :)

I'm also near the coast (Carek and I are neighbors :wave: ) and actually the air quality today was worse, I woke up and could smell smoke right away, and it bothered my asthma more today.
I don't know all details about the Charger stadium thing, but I did hear that the few people who were still there who were actual evacuees (I guess most still there were transients that had taken up residence there with the evacuees :shrug: ) anyways the evacuees still there were moved to better facilities... better than sleeping in a football stadium hallway anyway! I heard the Charger organization said they absolutely would not play there if the place was still needed, and the volunteers who have been working there all this time have a chance to rest now too as well... anyways... hopefully they did the right thing by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom