Love Rescue Me: Chapter 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Thanks once again for the lovely comments, and to anyone who has read the story. I really do appreciate it! I have a job interview on Tuesday but it'll only be part-time (if I get it!) so plenty of time to write, yay!

Some strong language in this chapter. Again, U2 don't belong to me!

Love Rescue Me

Chapter 6

“Come fly with me, let’s fly, let’s fly away…”

Edge raised an eyebrow at Bono, who was singing in an exaggerated manner while standing in front of the mirror, tying his hair back.

“We’ll be driving, not flying, but okay, if you insist.”

Beth, watching them, giggled. It was fantastic to be able to be a part of the team. In a way she felt like she’d known them for years. Both Bono and Edge had been completely welcoming and accommodating since she’d got up that morning and attended breakfast. Larry was still ignoring her, which was fine, because she had no desire to talk to him either. As for Adam, he still hadn’t surfaced, and there were only a couple of hours to go before the tour party departed Boston and headed south to the nation’s capital. There had been murmurs of concern about where he might have got to, but so far nobody was panicking. Apparently Adam was often the one to go out all night and spend time in whatever city they happened to be in, having a drink and a good time. Beth could sense, however, that both Bono and Edge knew something she didn’t, and were more worried than they were letting on in her presence. As it was none of her business, she couldn’t very well ask, but that didn’t stop her being curious.

“So, have you had any thoughts about the book yet?” Edge turned to Beth, who was sitting cross-legged on Bono’s bed. It was a good question; Beth had spent much of her morning in her room, sketching ideas in her notebook, and she still wasn’t sure she had the perfect concept.

“A few,” she replied. “I’m going to try to attend at least half of the gigs and write reports on them, so we can use them if we want to. I’ll also do a couple of interviews with each of you, and I think we should arrange a photoshoot, too. Like, so there are new pictures in the book and it’s not just old ones again.”

Edge was nodding, Beth could almost hear the mechanism in his brain working, and Bono looked satisfied enough when he came over to join them.

“Sounds good,” he agreed. “Take some photos backstage tomorrow night. Before and after. I think that’ll work.”

“I’d like to do the first round of interviews sometime soon,” Beth continued, enjoying the fact she’d actually hit upon a train of thought while talking to them. “I don’t know how to arrange that, though. And I don’t think we should be all formal and stuff.”

“Oh, no, that doesn’t sound like much fun at all,” Bono grinned, and Beth rolled her eyes jokingly. I have to make light of it, because I don’t need him to know how I feel. I don’t want to lose this job.

Edge ignored him. “We’ll get it sorted out. I’ll ask Larry and Adam when would be good times for them.”

“One’s not talking and the other’s missing. Good luck with that, The Edge.”

Cara didn’t know what to do. She’d woken with dread when she remembered she hadn’t gone back to her hotel alone after leaving the arena. The night had been spent in the first decent-looking pub she came across, and ended when she invited the American who’d bought her drinks back to her room. It had been okay, physically, although he didn’t compare to Adam, but emotionally, the encounter had left Cara wrecked. She was reverting to her old Dublin ways, and it just wasn’t good enough for her any more. Problems couldn’t be solved by jumping into bed with a stranger. After all, that was part of the reason she and Adam had broken up.

God, I miss him. Cara had kicked the American bloke out an hour ago, and was now sitting by the window, staring out, seeing nothing except Adam in her mind. This has all gone wrong. I was supposed to be starting again over here, and I’m back to square one.

At a loss, Cara picked up the phone and called her older sister, Marie, back in Ireland. She’d held out doing this because she didn’t want to give the impression she wasn’t coping, but right now she needed to hear Marie’s voice and get some advice.

“Hel-lo?”

“Hi, it’s me.”

“Cara! Oh my God!” Marie screeched down the line and Cara had to hold the receiver away from her ear till she’d stopped. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, y’know. Settling in. How are things with you and Nathan?”

“Absolutely brilliant! We’ll have to come and visit once you’re sorted.”

“Yeah.” Cara tried to keep her voice steady, but hearing about her sister’s happy relationship didn’t help, and to her dismay she started to cry. Big, gulping sobs that echoed down the phone, across the Atlantic.

“Cara?” Marie sounded worried now. “What’s happened?”

“God, I’m sorry,” Cara muttered, wiping away tears. “Marie, please don’t shout when I tell you.”

“Tell me what? Seriously, Cara, you’re starting to make me panic.”

She took a deep breath. “A couple of nights ago, I saw Adam. And we kissed. And I think I’m in love with him again. Or maybe I never stopped. Marie, he’s leaving today and he didn’t let me see him last night and I don’t know what I should do.”

There was silence, and then: “Adam? Adam Clayton? You kissed…” Marie must have realised she was shouting, as Cara had asked her not to, and stopped. “Are you joking?”

Cara’s laugh was bitter. “No. I wish I was. Look, I know what you’ll think about this and you’re probably right, but when I think about letting him go, it hurts inside. Tell me what to do, Marie, please.”

Pause. “You haven’t told him about…”

“Of course not! For God’s sake, that would really ruin everything. Do you think I’m stupid or something?” It was silly to take her frustrations out on her sister, but at least Marie didn’t mind; she took it all on the chin. She was the person Cara trusted most in the world.

Another pause, then Marie sighed. “I don’t think you’re stupid, darling. You love him. I can’t tell you what to do, though. You just want my permission. I think you’ve already made your mind up.”

Cara nodded, forgetting Marie couldn’t see her, and knew that was true. “Yeah, I think I have.”

“Well, then.” Marie was smiling, Cara could tell. “You’d better hang up and get to his hotel.”

Adam’s head pounded and his muscles ached when he finally forced himself out of bed. He couldn’t even remember getting there at whatever time he rolled in, but flashes of last night punctuated his thoughts. Drinking in a downtown bar with some guy he’d never met before; kissing a girl whose name he didn’t recall. None of it was new behaviour, yet this was the first time he really regretted it.

He put his glasses on and stumbled towards the bathroom, only to be stopped by a loud banging on his door. The sound knocked right through Adam’s brain, as if shaking it, and he groaned.

“All right, all right,” he muttered, opening the door to a pissed-off-looking Larry.

“What the fuck time do you call this?” he demanded, pointedly looking at his watch. Adam hated when Larry did this, all punctual and regimented like he was commanding an army platoon. It was fine for him, with no ex-girlfriend around to wreck his head.

“Larry, I’m doing it, I’m going for a shower. Or I was until you interrupted.”

“We’re leaving in half an hour! Everyone else is packed and dressed and downstairs and ready to go, except you. Fuck, even Bono is ready.” Larry came in, closed the door and peered at Adam. “What did you do last night? You look like shit.”

Adam shot him the strongest glare he could muster, which wasn’t very strong at all. “Thanks, Lar’, you know how to encourage your friends.”

Larry sighed, looking around the room, taking in all the clothes lying everywhere. He’s probably thanking the Lord he never has to share a room with me again. “Look, go and have a shower, get dressed – quickly – and I’ll get your stuff in a suitcase.” Not taking no for an answer, Larry shooed Adam into the bathroom and started making a lot of noise, probably deliberately, putting Adam’s belongings away.

Precisely twenty-seven minutes later, both of them were in the foyer, ready to leave. Adam was downing painkillers and a big bottle of water, while Larry was making sure they were checked out. As the fog in Adam’s mind cleared a little, he was able to concentrate on the person he’d gone out to forget about.

Cara. Shit. I wonder where she is. I must have drunk a lot if I managed to blot her out for a while.

Now, though, he wasn’t sure he did want to blot her out. He missed her, and it had felt good, more than good, to have her in his arms again, kissing her. But was that enough of a reason to try again, weighed against their track record, and their capacity to hurt one another? He didn’t know, and it looked as if he was never going to find out. Larry was urging him outside where their bus was waiting.

“What’s wrong?” Larry asked, as they approached. Through the bus windows, Adam could see Bono laughing with Beth about something, and Edge handing something to Jen, the new stylist. Everybody looked so happy, so ready for whatever was next, and Adam didn’t have that. He didn’t know if he would ever have that. He was too scared to let anyone in, and more than that, he knew deep down he didn’t deserve anyone as good as Cara, anyway. I did leave her too often, and I did cheat on her. It was my fault she left me. I can’t do that to her again, it’s not fair. It’s best for her if I leave.

Adam looked at Larry, who was waiting impatiently for a response, although he was doing a good job of pretending he wasn’t watching the clock.

“Nothing,” he said, feeling his heart give a little even as he walked on towards the bus. “I’m fine.”

Jen watched Boston recede into the distance as the bus drove off, heading towards the highway. She’d enjoyed her time there and was already looking forward to seeing some of Washington. Despite living on the east coast of the States all her life, Jen had never been outside New York. The only holidays she’d taken with her parents were to the Hamptons when her wealthy father had still been married to her mum. That all seemed like such a long time ago, like another lifetime.

She was startled from her reverie by Edge nudging her gently with his elbow. “Your turn,” he said, smiling, and she realised her three companions around the small table were waiting for her to make a move.

“Oh, sorry.” She sat up, a bit embarrassed, and examined the cards she held. She was useless at poker, barely knew how to play, and had only agreed because Edge persuaded her. He was so sweet, and so handsome, she found she was unable to resist anything he asked of her. “Um, I don’t know.” She laughed along with the others. “I’m afraid I’m no good at this.”

“That’s okay,” Bono, sitting with Beth on the opposite side, reassured her, “neither am I.” That was proved in the next few minutes when he lost his money to Edge, who accepted it gleefully. Beth laughed at the look on Bono’s face.

“Why don’t we play something else?” she suggested, leaning back in her seat. As she moved, Jen could see past her to where Adam was sitting across the aisle, his head against the window, looking dejected. Larry was sitting opposite him, pretending to read a magazine, but he spent most of the time shooting concerned glances at his friend.

“Is Adam okay?” Jen asked quietly, gesturing towards the scene.

Edge exchanged a look with Bono, and continued to shuffle the cards. Beth frowned and sat forwards.

“Yeah, what’s going on?” she asked, also quietly. Her long red hair was brushing Bono’s shoulder, and Jen noticed with interest the way he was moving a little closer. “You might as well tell us. Or else I’ll just ask him.”

“No, don’t do that,” Bono said quickly, and then sighed. “Okay. This is between us, though.” He waited until Jen and Beth nodded. “There’s this woman Adam used to be with. They were together about a year and pretty serious. Then they broke up, we went on tour, and he didn’t see her again until two nights ago. It’s hit him hard.”

Jen looked over again. He looks as if his world has ended. “She must have been special to him,” she mused, wondering what it might feel like to have someone love you like that.

“She was. She probably still is. But that’s not the point. She hurt him badly, the first time, and we don’t want to see that happen again.” Bono accepted half the cards from Edge.

Beth glanced at him. “Just a hunch, but I think it already has,” she said. “Nobody is like that if they’re happy to leave someone behind, are they?”

None of them spoke for a few moments. Jen became very aware of her breathing, and how it quickened as the bus went around a bend and Edge’s arm pressed against hers. Then she asked what the woman’s name was, just to break the silence.

Another wordless look between the men, and then Edge answered, “Her name’s Cara.”

“Cara?” Beth’s eyes widened, and she clapped a hand over her mouth. “Oh,” she said, lowering her hand and looking at Bono anxiously. “I think this might be my fault.”

The receptionist flinched as Cara’s hand came down onto the desk with a bang, while her voice went up a notch.

“What do you mean, they’re not here?” she shouted, not caring she was causing a scene. Okay, she knew this situation had nothing to do with the poor woman just doing her job, but at that moment in time, Cara had to take her frustration out on someone.

“They left fifteen minutes ago,” was the calm reply. “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing I can do about that.”

Cara stepped back, glaring, aware that a security man was hovering nearby. She didn’t usually behave this rudely towards people she didn’t know, but she was finding her anger both comforting and distracting. It stopped her dwelling on the truth, that Adam had gone away and left her without even saying goodbye.

“I’ll be complaining to the manager about you,” she snapped at the woman before stalking off, ignoring the fact there was nothing to complain about. Nobody had forced Adam to go, but he had anyway. Another city, another show, another life, and Cara wasn’t to be a part of it.

How dare he?

And then, as she stood outside the hotel, traffic going by and people hurrying past, she felt utterly lost in this huge foreign city that she’d travelled to on a whim. Without a job or friends, she was nobody here. Maybe she was nobody everywhere. Maybe that was why Adam had abandoned her.

Too upset to cry, Cara wrapped her arms around herself and began to walk slowly, no idea where she was headed.

to be continued...

:applaud: Brilliant!! Can't wait to see if Cara chases Adam....Loving all the different angles of this story :love:

Really loving this story- the subplots are great, poor Cara and Adam...
Romance between Edge/Jen and Bono/Beth? :hmm:
Love the portrayal of Larry too...
More soon? :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom