Love Rescue Me: Chapter 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Hello! Apologies for the delay with this one, but it was a lot harder to write than the others were. I don't know why that is! It's quite long though so that might make up for it. I hope you all enjoy it, and all feedback is much appreciated as always.

I'd better remind you all that U2 don't belong to me, as if you need reminding...

Love Rescue Me

Chapter 11

Larry woke late, and immediately wished he hadn’t woken at all. His head felt as if it was being pounded repeatedly by a very heavy brick, and his mouth was as dry as the Sahara. He rolled over in bed - at least I got to bed - and the hangover rolled with him. He sat up, and the room began to spin.

"Fuck," he muttered, squinting against the sunlight spilling through the window. Every move he made caused the brick to administer another blow, and it took a long time for him to complete the arduous journey from bed to bathroom. Once at his destination, Larry forced himself into a cold shower, but all that did was make him feel worse. He brushed his teeth and hoped he wouldn't throw up. One look at his reflection explained he looked as bad as he felt. No wonder I’m single.

That thought did nothing to cheer him up. He didn’t want to be single, not when there was someone he wanted, but she was so close and yet so, so far. Turned out, holding back on your feelings made absolutely no difference. They still sneaked up on you when you weren’t expecting it.

Larry leaned forward and pressed his forehead against the cool glass of the mirror. He closed his eyes and reminded himself who his best friends were. He reminded himself that no woman was worth losing any of them over. He reminded himself that she probably didn’t feel the same way about him, anyway.

His head ached worse than ever.

Jen was in a better mood as she went downstairs for breakfast in her jogging pants and a loose t-shirt. She was glad to have cleared the air with Edge; even though she still couldn’t be with him, they were friends and that was all she could have hoped for. At least this way, she could spend time with him and enjoy his company without arising any suspicions. What harm could friendship bring?

Even Jen wasn’t naïve enough to believe that. It could bring plenty of harm, but let’s not think about that right now.

The only other person she knew at the breakfast table was Adam. He was reading a newspaper, drinking coffee and smoking. He looked up as she approached, and smiled.

“Good morning.” He indicated the chair next to his. “Would you like to join me?”

“Sure,” Jen replied, sliding into the seat and helping herself to a croissant. Adam offered to pour her coffee, and she accepted with thanks. “How are you?”

“Fine, thank you,” he replied, setting the coffee pot down on the table. “Did you sleep well?”

She nodded, taking a sip of the strong, delicious coffee. It warmed every part of her, and she felt fortified already. “Yeah, I did, thanks. Better than I thought, considering last night.”

Adam laughed. “I know what you mean. Something tells me Larry will be suffering today.”

As if on cue, Larry shuffled into the dining room, looking the worse for wear. Jen couldn’t help feeling sorry for him, even if the damage had been self-inflicted. As he mumbled a greeting and sat across from Adam, Jen did the honours of pouring coffee, and then started buttering him a slice of toast.

“Here,” she said, when she was done, pushing the plate towards him. “Eat. And don’t give me that look,” she added, seeing Larry pull a disgusted face. “You need something on your stomach.”

“Yes, mam,” he grumbled, nibbling on a corner of the bread.

“Is Beth not up yet?” Adam asked, once he had amused himself enough watching Larry. “She mentioned to me she wanted to start interviews today, for the book.”

Jen shrugged, adding jam to her croissant and taking a bite. She knew exactly where Beth was, and had a pretty good idea why she hadn’t surfaced, but it really wasn’t her place to tell Adam or Larry. Beth was her friend, and besides, she wanted to hear the full story herself before anyone else found out.

“Stop kicking that fucking table,” Larry snapped, half-way through his toast. Jen looked at Adam, who asked Larry what he was talking about. “Someone’s kicking the table. I can hear it. It’s driving me mad.”

“Nobody is doing anything of the sort,” Adam replied calmly, although Jen thought he rustled his paper a little longer than necessary as he turned the page. “You’re just extra sensitive this morning, Lawrence.”

If Larry looked pissed off then, however, it was nothing to the way he looked when Edge arrived, said hello to everyone around the table, and then took the seat beside Jen, asking, “Anyone seen Bono, or is he still with Beth?”

Jen could tell the question was perfectly innocent from the way Edge asked it, as if he thought everyone was aware of what was going on. All the same, she felt a little uncomfortable, especially when she glanced at Larry, whose expression was almost mutinous. That didn’t make much sense to Jen, because he must have seen them kissing on the way back to the hotel the night before, but then again he was hungover and grumpy and maybe he’d forgotten he and Beth were supposed to be getting on now.

“No,” Jen replied quickly, before anyone else could speak. “Beth told me she’d be down soon, though.” It was a lie, but it seemed the loyal thing to do. The last thing Beth needed was hassle for conducting a relationship with Bono, if that was what she was doing.

“Fucking idiot,” Larry spat out from across the table, and the other three stared at him. “What the fuck does he think he’s doing?”

Jen and Edge exchanged a glance, but it was Adam who spoke. “Well, Lawrence, when a man and a woman love each other very much…” They all started laughing, except for Larry.

“Whatever, but he’s being fucking unprofessional and I’m sick of it,” he said. “She’s not even supposed to be here!”

Jen looked at him, and he looked at her, and in that moment it all fell into place. That’s not why he’s angry. Beth and Bono… He’d quite like it to be Beth and Larry. She knew it was the truth, and he realised she knew, because he shook his head at her, warning her not to tell. She wouldn’t have, anyway, because wouldn’t that be awkward? Nobody needed the hassle, especially not Beth, and Jen cared about Larry, too. He could only get hurt if this got out, and she didn’t want that to happen.

She decided to change the subject before Edge or Adam got suspicious. “What time are we leaving?”

“A couple of hours,” Edge replied, adding milk to the cereal he’d poured. “We’ll be there in plenty of time. You’ll be excited to be going home?” he added, smiling at Jen. She had to remind herself again that they were just friends.

“I only just left, so maybe not.” The next gigs were taking place in New York City, Jen’s hometown. She actually hadn’t made plans to see any family or friends, because she was quite happy to be caught up in this little bubble. She could be who she wanted without any pressure, and that was a big relief. Still, Edge’s question made her wonder if perhaps she should check in with her mother, at least, who didn’t have any other children to spend time with, and now she didn’t have a husband, either…

Jen started when she felt Edge place a hand on her arm. “Are you okay?” he asked, peering at her.

“Oh, sorry, I was miles away.” She listened in to the conversation Edge, Adam and Larry were having about tomorrow. They and Bono were planning to go to a church in Harlem to play ‘I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’ with a gospel choir. According to Edge, the choir had sent a tape of them performing the song and it sounded amazing. The band also intended to have it filmed as part of the road movie they were making. Jen knew she’d probably be going with them anyway, as their stylist, but it was still nice when Edge invited her, as if she was an important guest rather than just one of their employees.

“I’d love to come,” Jen nodded, returning the smile he gave her.

“Great,” he replied, looking pleased. “When Bono gets here I’ll talk to him about the arrangements, and let you know what’s happening.”

The rest of breakfast passed peacefully, and even Larry seemed happier once he’d drunk three cups of coffee and managed some more toast. The four of them left the table together, and as they walked through the foyer, one of the receptionists approached them, holding a piece of paper and asking if a Jennifer Atwood was part of their group.

“Yes, that’s me,” Jen replied.

“Sorry to bother you,” the woman said, “but your father has just called and left you a message. He said he couldn’t get through to your room.” She handed Jen the paper. “I wrote it down.”

“Thanks.” Jen stopped walking and unfolded the note.

Dear Jennifer,

I heard from your mother that you’ve a job working with a band. She says you are due in to New York today. I was hoping you might come for dinner tomorrow night. It would be nice for you to spend some time with Allegra and Melody, as well as telling me all your news.

Please try to let me know by tomorrow morning at the latest – same number as usual, reverse the charges if you need to.

Regards,
Daddy

Jen didn’t know whether to feel pleased or not. She hadn’t seen her dad much since he left her mum for Allegra, who came complete with a very unpleasant daughter. They both lived with him in one of New York’s most expensive suburbs, and Jen was convinced her dad’s wealth was the main attraction. It still made her angry that her dad would cheat on her mum like that, cause her so much heartache, and she’d always told herself she would never behave so disrespectfully. The situation with Edge was painful for that very reason, the fact she didn’t ever want to be the ‘other woman’ and break up someone else’s relationship. But with every day that passed, she was finding it increasingly difficult to stick to that resolution, and she wondered if maybe she was as bad as her father, deep down. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, she thought sadly, as she slipped the letter into her pocket and looked up at Edge, who was standing nearby waiting for her.

The worry must have shown on her face, because Edge put an arm around her and asked what was wrong.

“Nothing,” she sighed. “Just, my dad wants me to have dinner with him tomorrow night. Y’know, when we’re all in New York. I should go, but I know it’s going to be awful. His fiancée is really irritating and her daughter hates me. She looks down her nose at me every time we meet. Like I’m something she found on the street. And she always has a really gorgeous boyfriend with her, right, he’s usually a model or a dancer, sometimes an artist, I don’t know where she finds them, but anyway, she makes a point, cause I’m never with anyone and she thinks I’m pathetic.” She stopped to draw breath, and laughed. “Sorry. You didn’t need to hear all that.”

“Don’t be daft,” Edge scolded gently. “You’re my friend, remember? I’ll listen to whatever you want to tell me.”

“Thanks. I don’t know if I can face it, that’s all. But I should make the effort for my dad.”

The two of them had almost caught up with Larry and Adam, who were waiting for an elevator. “Well, I could come with you, if you like,” Edge offered, shrugging when Jen stared at him. “At least you wouldn’t be on your own. Just explain we’re good friends and I had the night off, or something.”

That wasn’t a good idea, was it? Friends or not, there was no way they were going to be able to spend an evening together and not make their situation ten times worse. Really, Jen needed to tell him thanks but no thanks, that it was a fun suggestion but her dad wouldn’t approve. Anything. All she had to do was lie to keep Edge at arm’s length, which was exactly where he should be.

And yet, when Jen opened her mouth to reply, something very strange happened. She said, “Okay. Come with me.” Wrong answer. But it’s too late now.

Cara stood behind the counter of the boutique and sighed. Working here was decidedly boring today, since there had been very few customers and no other members of staff. And it wasn’t even midday yet. Checking her watch seemed to make time go slower, so she stopped doing that and instead let her thoughts drift to Alex.

She still didn’t really fancy him, but he amused her and at least he kept her company. He wasn’t brilliant in bed, but she reminded herself that wasn’t the most important part of being with someone. Laughing, she wondered who she was trying to fool. Sex had been vital to her relationship with Adam; it had been during those moments of intimacy when she’d felt most connected with him. They’d block out the world and concentrate on each other. And that went some way to explaining why adultery on both sides was something neither of them could deal with.

It was becoming a habit that she’d start off thinking of Alex and end up remembering Adam. Even though she knew there was no chance of having him, she allowed the guilty pleasure. If it was all she had left, she might as well take advantage of it.

Just then, the bell above the shop door rang and Alex came in.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, leaning across the counter for a kiss. “I thought you were at the paper.”

“I’m in Boston today for work and thought I could take you to lunch,” he said. She protested that it wasn’t time for her break, but he didn’t take no for an answer, and ten minutes later they were seated in a fancy little bistro. Cara ordered soup and Alex a sandwich, and they fell into amiable conversation about working.

“My ex girlfriend called this morning,” Alex said, once they’d both finished complaining about their jobs. “She wanted to know if she could use an article we already printed for her book! Can you believe that?”

Even though their badly ended relationships had been the cause of getting together, neither Cara nor Alex had elaborated on who they’d been going out with and what exactly happened. Now that Alex was close to divulging information, Cara leaned closer.

“She used to work for you?”

Alex nodded. “Yeah. Just in the office, nothing special. Between you and me, she didn’t have the talent to go any further. But I kept her on because I loved her. Or I thought I did.” He drank the rest of his mineral water and asked the waiter for another. “Lizzie nearly ruined me when she left. I can still get my revenge.”

Cara wasn’t sure she liked where this was heading, so she diverted Alex’s attention back to her. “What kind of book is she writing that she needs an article?”

“It’s about U2, you know that rock band? I’ve always hated them. I know her; she’ll be acting all coy and probably sleeping with all of them. That’s what she’s like.”

No way. Cara’s eyes widened. “She went on tour with U2?” It didn’t seem to make sense that this Lizzie would be able to write a book if Alex didn’t even think she could work on a newspaper. Dread thundered through Cara as she wondered what she always wondered – was this something to do with Adam? Was that why he had left without her? He’d already found someone else?

It all seemed to fit. Adam had a knack of conducting meaningless relationships in the face of Cara’s love, and this was simply another. Alex’s ex, who was obviously some sort of groupie, had pursued him, and managed to get a job on tour. Cara’s jealousy and paranoia returned full force, as they always did when Adam was involved. Her explanation made so much sense to her that she wondered why it hadn’t crossed her mind before. It’s been staring me right in the face! And to think I believed we could have a future. I’m such an idiot.

“You okay?” Alex asked after a couple of minutes. “You’ve gone a bit pale.”

“Um, I don’t know,” she answered, pushing her soup bowl away. Her appetite had suddenly vanished. “My ex, Adam? He’s U2’s bass player.”

It was Alex’s turn to look surprised. “Really? Oh. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said all that…”

“Don’t worry, you’re probably right,” Cara sighed. “I know him, too. Or I did, a long time ago.” I need to find out for sure, though. I’ve jumped to conclusions before and it’s never got me anywhere good. But how to do it, when Adam’s in another city?

Alex shrugged. “If you want, I can help you get back at him.” He ate the last of his sandwich as Cara looked at him, puzzled.

“What are you talking about?”

“Well, Lizzie’s not getting away with what she did to me. And in the process, I might be able to do some damage to that stupid band. I’ve already published one terrible review, and there’s more to come.”

Cara’s expression must have shown the tone of her thoughts – that Alex only worked on a small paper, and how could he possibly make any impact on such a huge band as U2, amongst other things – because he chuckled. “You don’t know me. I have friends everywhere. Some of them are very good at intruding into private lives.”

It was true that Cara didn’t know Alex, and she was being reminded of that every time she spoke to him. And this conversation wasn’t making her like him more. In fact, she was starting to go off him, what with his talk of revenge like he was some Mafia boss, not to mention his weird obsession with his ex-girlfriend. But if Cara had learned one thing during her life, it was to grab any opportunity that came her way, no matter how absurd it might appear. She didn’t want to wreak havoc on U2, or even on Lizzie whether she was with Adam or not, but she could pretend to, couldn’t she? There was a way to Adam through this, even if it wasn’t yet obvious, and keeping on Alex’s good side was the starting point.

“Okay,” she said, grinning. “Count me in.”

Bono struggled to open his eyes. His entire body felt like it was welded to the mattress and he had no desire to contradict it. His shoulder was aching dully and he knew he ought to take his tablets, along with maybe some paracetemol. As parts of last night came back to him, however, he found himself feeling happier. He remembered being with Beth, laughing with her at the restaurant, kissing her against the door, cuddling her in this bed…

He reached over to pull her close to him again, but his hand met thin air. That brought him fully to his senses and he sat up, a little too quickly, wondering where she was. Her shoes were gone; in fact there was no trace of her. Bono felt panic echo in his heart, and realised faintly that he never wanted her to leave him unless she had to. He couldn’t believe he’d been so stupid to push her away when all this time she was the person he’d wanted beside him. She should have slapped me, and instead she stayed with me.

Bono got up to find his painkillers, hoping he hadn’t lost them, only to find everything in his room looked a lot… neater. His suitcase had been carefully packed and everything else arranged on the dresser, including the small bottle of pills. An outfit of black trousers and white shirt was hanging on the wardrobe door – both were ironed. In short, organisation had taken place, and it certainly hadn’t been on Bono’s watch.

As he was gaping at the scene, the door opened, closed, and Beth walked in. Her hair was tied back off her face, hanging in a low ponytail down her back, and she was wearing denim shorts that showed off her legs. Bono knew he was staring but he couldn’t help it; she looked amazing.

“Morning,” she said. “Or rather, afternoon. I know I should’ve probably woken you earlier, but you were out cold and I thought you probably needed to sleep.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Bono replied, reaching for the medication. He wanted to kiss her, but didn’t want to be too forward. After all, whatever happened the night before had been partly due to alcohol, and there was no guarantee she’d want him to make a move after the way he’d been behaving. “Did you, uh, tidy my stuff?”

“Oh, yeah,” Beth nodded, looking a little apprehensive. “I’m sorry, I hope you didn’t mind, but I bumped into Edge not long ago and he said we’re all supposed to be leaving quite soon. I just thought it’d give you less to do, with your arm and everything.”

Bono couldn’t suppress a smile. She went to all that trouble. That has to be a good sign, right? “Thank you,” he said, meaning it.

“No problem,” she shrugged, heading back towards the door. “I’ll let you get sorted, then. We’re leaving in about an hour.” Her hand was on the door handle when Bono crossed the room and stood behind her, trying to resist smelling her hair, a gesture Larry would definitely have scoffed at.

“Beth,” he began, but she didn’t turn around. He took a deep breath. “I’m really sorry I shut you out after I hurt my shoulder. It wasn’t because of you. I just couldn’t stand being stuck in a sling and having to rest and you seeing me as someone I’m not. I… I suppose I wanted us to wait till I got better. I didn’t handle it properly and I shouldn’t have treated you like that. I’m sorry.” Talking had delayed the possibility that she might walk out, but his words had come to a natural end. Please, forgive me and let us stop dancing around each other. Life’s too short, and you’re what I want.

To Bono’s relief and delight, Beth was smiling when she finally turned to face him.

“It’s okay,” she said, brushing a stray hair off his forehead. “But you don’t have to worry I’m going to think differently of you, Bono. I saw who you were before this all happened, didn’t I? And,” she hesitated, biting her lip, “I liked what I saw. I still do.”

Bono grinned and slid his free hand around her waist, easing her closer to him. “Oh, really?” he teased, and she laughed, stopping only when he leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. She shuddered against him and he kissed her again, this time allowing their tongues to meet. It was slower than last night, but no less passionate, and Bono wanted nothing more than to keep going, to really make her his.

He might have tried, too, had it not been for a loud bang on the door which made them both jump. Larry’s angry voice came through the partition. “Get a fuckin’ move on, Bono, we’re all waiting for you! We’ve got loads to do before we leave!”

Bono and Beth looked at each other and burst into silent giggles. They shared a few more tender kisses before Beth made him go and get ready, and within half an hour they and their luggage were downstairs with everyone else.

“I was starting to think something bad had happened,” Jen told Beth twenty minutes later, as the bus pulled out and headed on its way to New York.

“Something happened, but it definitely wasn’t bad.” Beth glanced across the aisle at Bono, who winked at her, and she started to believe things were really looking up.

to be continued...

Last edited:
One again: Bono/Beth OTP :love:

And my am I surprised! I never would've thought Larry would start liking Beth! I figured he'd end up taking a shine to Jen :hmm:

And Cara! STAY AWAY FROM ALEX! He's a baaaaad man! :shame:

And I am so addicted to this fic :drool: It's like chocolate cake or something.

DOL get outta me head!!! I thought it was larry/jen too!
:drool: lovin this chappy! and I certainly did not expect that alex was the same rat as the one related to beth!

I am spending more and more time in fanfic!! Had no idea what i was missing. I read this story in one day(!)- and can't wait to read more- such good stuff going on:drool:
You have got their characters down well, and the hotness factor(including the sloppy kiss that Bono gives the Edge a couple of chapeters ago) is just WOW- :drool:

hey guys, thanks for all the lovely comments here, just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this fic at all! I started my new job and also, I'm just having lots of trouble writing the next chapter for some reason. Hopefully it'll be here at the weekend! :)

New job= extreme brain cell usage. Yes, take the weekend to relax, chickadee. Tip a few glasses, listen to some U2, ya know get in the mood, okay!! Good luck :wave: :cool:

Grats on the job Kat :) hope you'll get your inspiration back!

:shifty: ok ok ok, I'll send Bono back to you... after tonight... I promise!

chickadee said:
hey guys, thanks for all the lovely comments here, just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this fic at all! I started my new job and also, I'm just having lots of trouble writing the next chapter for some reason. Hopefully it'll be here at the weekend! :)

:applaud: :hyper: :hyper:

Waiting..................

Back
Top Bottom