Location, Location, Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msdw59

Acrobat
How Kate Moss was gazumped by U2
by CLEMMIE MOODIE - Daily Mail

Missing out: Kate Moss's bid of £6m was not enough for the north-west London property

When Kate Moss spotted the £6million villa with garden studio and a gaggle of celebrity neighbours, she was quick to reach for her chequebook.

Unfortunately for her, however, another famous face was even more taken with the seven-bedroom property.

Adam Clayton, bass player with the rock band U2, decided to rule out any chance of a bidding war by putting in an astonishing offer of £12.5million - more than twice the asking price.

Not surprisingly Miss Moss declined to match it and the 47-year-old musician is said to be "delighted" with his purchase.

The property in north-west London has a rear lawn in the shape of a keyhole, with paving leading to the 1,200-square-foot studio.

Despite its hefty price tag, it is described as "in need of modernisation" by estate agents Knight Frank.

It was the home of royal courtier Lieutenant Colonel Sir Edward William Spencer Ford, who died in November last year aged 96.

He was assistant private secretary to George VI from 1946 to 1952 and performed the same role for the Queen until his retirement in 1967.

He was credited as supplying the Queen with the phrase "annus horribilis" to describe 1992, following the breakdown of family marriages and the devastating fire at Windsor Castle.

The celebrity auction started in July shortly after 33-year-old Miss Moss was shown the property with her then boyfriend, Pete Doherty, in tow.

The house that Kate wanted: This seven-bedroom property is in a road full of celebrities

Immediately taken with the 4,000-square-foot villa, the studio of which once belonged to Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, she put in an offer matching the £6million asking price.

With a flustered estate agent playing piggy in the middle, Clayton, a former fiance of Miss Moss's rival supermodel Naomi Campbell, responded with his offer of more than twice that figure.

Scroll down for more...

The house boasts a key-shaped lawn with studio at the rear

"The house is truly spectacular, very spacious and homely," said a property source.

"Both Kate and Adam were shown the glossy prospectus and then given viewings, and both made all the right noises, saying how much they loved it.

p3house2_468x312.jpg

p3house1_468x468.jpg

Moving in: U2 star Adam Clayton placed an offer the owner could not refuse - a cool £12.5m
"It's on a really quiet, desirable residential street which is crammed with celebrities so Kate and Adam were told they wouldn't get bothered if they did live there.

"For the pair of them the main selling point was the garden studio. Kate initially hoped she and Pete could use it as a creative den. Adam, of course, simply saw it as a recording studio.

"As a result they put in offers within a week of one another. It was only then that things began to spiral out of control, with Adam, in particular, making it clear that money was no object.

"With several projects on the go, the last thing Adam wanted was to become embroiled in a catty bidding war. By offering way above the asking price, he wanted to get the purchase wrapped up."

The property, which has a garage and off-road parking, has neighbours including Lulu, Chrissie Hynde, Sir Richard Branson and Annie Lennox.

Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire but moved to Ireland with his parents at the age of five.

At a comprehensive school in Dublin he got together with Paul 'Bono' Hewson, Larry Mullen Jr and Dave 'The Edge' Evans to form the band which would eventually become U2.

Last edited:
lots of everyday people spend heaps of money on bricks and mortar all the time , its relative to what the person percieves they can afford. i guess after spending it on fast cars, women and booze he better plough it into something instead of wasting it ! :wink:

If he has the money and likes the mansion he should spend it. If I had the money I'd probably buy something like that as well. And Adam is well known for his love of old houses, furniture, interior and gardens, so I guess he's found a nice place there.

And I really like the thought that he wants to turn the other building into a recording studio.

last unicorn said:
And I really like the thought that he wants to turn the other building into a recording studio. [/B]

You know, I'm not sure I'd be crazy about having Adam as a neighbor when the lot is small and there's a recording studio on it. I mean, polished concerts are amazing, but four arguing guys trying to write music hour after hour could really be annoying. "Try that riff again for the four hundredth time."

On the other hand, I love to garden and I'd be happy to lend him a hand with his petunias...

He's got such a big house/garden in Dublin, I wonder how much time he's going to spend in any of his places. I guess he'll have to stay in Dublin while they're writing this new album (they really are putting together a new album, right? Right?) or put up the guys if they're going to work in London. I can hear it now: "Bono! You left the seat up again!" "Get your grubby meat hooks off me gel!" "Who squeezed the tooth paste in the middle?!"

OK, I'll live next door, and invite y'all to come visit and listen to the hilarity!

(My daughter says that house is a better investment than all those socks...) :laugh:

mysterious_jen said:
lots of everyday people spend heaps of money on bricks and mortar all the time , its relative to what the person percieves they can afford. i guess after spending it on fast cars, women and booze he better plough it into something instead of wasting it ! :wink:

^I totally agree! and I won't imagine Adam spending his money on jewelry,fast cars etc like these dull hiphop dudes do...:no: :yuck:

AtomicBoy said:

^I totally agree! and I won't imagine Adam spending his money on jewelry,fast cars etc like these dull hiphop dudes do...:no: :yuck:

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Shame on you.

Don't tarnish hip hop to elevate Adam.

Adam did his share of whoring, and buying unnecessary "crap" in the 80's and parts of the 90's.

Do not forget the whores on the credit card, the drug bust, the alcoholism, as well as the numerous cars, fancy clothes and gold chains purchased.

:laugh: yep you're right..i meant it more genarally...it seems like some people don't understand that you can spend a huge amount of money for nearly everything...so in the end to say what's 'unnecessary crap' depends on your character...:shrug: :wink:

house is in close proximity to Paul McG (Belize Park). And not too far from the old pad. As far as who he is dating dating..................

Site says you're not suppose to put up "personal stuff"

:shh:

Model..........................................

Last edited:
There are no official news about who he is dating...
(Oh no...-Model again?! ;) )

But back to the subject-I really like the house! yeah, quite expensive thing...But when you're rich- then why not...

Last edited:
Beautiful place - though I can't imagine HAVING that much money, much less spending it on a house lol!

Well it's not like I would go out and look for it on the street, I'm more into video locations, but I suppose other fans might be inclined to, rankle, one's privacy. I like to map out U2 misc stuff as a personal hobby only and don't post it on Google Earth's community.

But it's no big secret of other homes U2 live in so why should this make any difference? Fans recording music outside a U2 member's home on a beach in France anyone? Again, not my cuppa.

It's just that these are crazy times. I'm all for giving general information, but to actually publish the street and door number is just irresponsible. Although I'm sure that most people are innocent; it's the nutters that I worry about the most.

Back
Top Bottom