Light My Fire: Chapter 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
I'm not having the best day today. Maybe it's hormones, fuck if I know, but I'm just moody and lazy. Hugs would be appreciated :)

And instead of sitting here doing nothing, I thought I could at least post up the next chapter of the fic.

---------

Although Heather had set her alarm clock to wake her in plenty of time to get awake and get ready for lunch with Adam, it was the phone that woke her. Heather moaned and rolled away from the sound of it. Although she hadn’t had a drop to drink last night, she felt absolutely hung over. Crying yourself to sleep could do that to you. And on top of everything else, she felt incredibly stupid for getting so emotional last night. She still didn’t really understand why she had. That sort of behaviour was not in her nature.

Heather’s face felt filthy, her head pounded, and her eyes stung, but the phone continued it’s valiant effort to be answered. Finally Heather forced herself to sit up and pick up the receiver.

“Hello?” Heather had barely gotten the first syllable out when Jenny’s voice blared into her ear.

“What did you do last night?!”

Heather winced and moved the phone a few inches away from her ear. “What are you talking about?”

“You never called me last night, so I can only assume you did something naughty!”

Heather rolled her eyes irritably. She wasn’t irritated with Jenny, she was irritated with the whole situation. “Jen, if I’d done something naughty, don’t you think he’d still be here? And with you calling at...” Heather glanced at the alarm clock, sure it must be no later than a quarter after seven, considering how tired she felt. The clock read nearly half past nine, the alarm would be going off any moment. Heather reached over and shut it off before it could get the chance. “Nevermind, it’s not as early as I thought it was.” Heather paused and rubbed her eyes. “God, I feel like shit.”

“What happened?” Jenny asked, and Heather told her everything, starting with her startling realization during the concert afterparty, all the way to crying herself to sleep.

“Oh, Heather.” Jenny said, and the sympathy in her voice made Heather long to see her.

“It’s okay, I just... I just don’t know how this happened. When I met him, I thought he was such a cool guy, and I thought we’d have some fun while he was in town, and leave it at that. But he’s just so great, and I want so badly for this to work out, and maybe I’m overthinking everything, but it all just seems so doomed.”

“Do you want me to come over? We’ll do some girl stuff, and I’ll get your mind off of him for a little while.”
Heather shook her head, and then felt like laughing at herself. Of course Jenny couldn’t see her over the phone. “No, I can’t. We’re having lunch at his hotel.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“I will be, for now anyway.” Heather sighed and stood up. “I need coffee. Hold on while I go get on the kitchen phone.” Heather dropped the phone on the bed without waiting for a response and traveled the short distance to her kitchen where she picked up the other. “I didn’t tell you about the concert.” She said, starting her coffeemaker.

“Was it awesome?”

“It was better than awesome.” Heather began and did her best to describe the thoroughly indescribable concert to Jenny. “I’d say though, that the best part for me was when I made Adam fuck up.”

“You what?”

Heather was holding back laughter now. “I shouted his name, and it shocked him so badly that he stopped playing. Oh my god, you should’ve seen Larry’s face!”

“Who’s Larry, the singer?”
“No, the drummer. Bono’s the singer, he didn’t even notice. I want you to meet them, Jenny. Are you doing anything tonight?”

“Nothing that can’t be shuffled around. What did you have in mind?”

“They have another show tonight, I’m going to see what I can do. Jesus, this coffee smells good, I’ll call you back this afternoon, okay?”

“Fine, but you’d better actually call me this time. Or else I’ll make assumptions.”

“Assume nothing! Now let me soak my brain cells in caffeine.”

“Okay, okay, goodbye.”

“Bye.” Heather said and hung up the phone. She brought the steaming mug to her lips and slowly sipped a delicious mouthful as she went back to her bedroom to hang up the other phone.

Adam was somewhere in-between deep sleep and wakefulness when he felt cold fingers on his upper arm, shaking him.

“Adam, wake up. We let you sleep long enough.”

Adam made a noise low in his throat and rolled over toward Larry’s voice, his arm swinging up in a stretch. His eyes were still closed, but he instantly knew what had happened when Larry spoke again.

“Ack, you almost hit me in the face!”

“Can’t have that. Wouldn’t want to ruin your pretty face.”

“Oh, go to hell.”

“I already am. What time is it?”

“Almost 11.”

“Fuck!” Adam said, sitting up quickly and feeling around blindly on the nightstand. “I’m supposed to meet Heather for lunch. Where are my glasses?”

“They’re in the bathroom.” Said Edge, from somewhere on the other side of the room. “What time did you get in last night?”

“A little after three.” Adam said, already heading for the bathroom. He hadn’t heard Bono’s voice yet, and hoped he wasn’t in the room. Unfortunately, Adam’s hopes were shattered.

“After three?!” Bono asked, amusement and intrigue all too clearly showing in his voice.

“Not now. Please.” Adam said, and shut the bathroom door behind himself without waiting for a response. It was just as well. He knew he’d need to talk about what happened last night with them eventually, they were his best mates after all, but right now he had neither the time nor the inclination. Bono could just stew in his overactive imagination for a couple more hours.

Adam showered, shaved, dressed and did everything else he needed to do to get ready as quickly as he could manage, but still it was nearly noon before he was able to make it downstairs. When he walked into the restaurant, he found Heather already sitting alone at a small table.

“Sorry I’m late, I overslept.”

Heather smiled and shook her head. “No, I’m early. I underslept.”

“I guess we both slept, then.”

“But not together.”

“No, not together.” He paused. “I did some ‘not sleeping’ last night too.”

Heather gave a small smile. “As did I. So I guess we did ‘not sleep’ together.”

Adam tilted his head back and chuckled. “We are bizarre folks aren’t we?”

“We are, but I like it.”

Adam reached across the table and took Heather’s hand. “I like you.”

Heather looked into his eyes. “I like you too.”

As touching as Heather’s sentiment was, Adam couldn’t help but see the glaring pun. He broke into a hugely amused grin. “I like us too.”

Heather pulled her hand from his and covered her face. “Argh. That is just too easy to do!”

“I’m used to it.” Adam said, picking up the menu. “Have you ordered anything yet?”

Heather lifted her coffee cup as though making a toast. “Just coffee. Another one of my many vices.”

“Let’s see, coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, and men. You’ve got a handful there.”

“More specifically, men named Adam. Lately, anyway.”

Adam smiled. “I’ve got no complaints about that.”

“Nor have I.” Heather winked and took another sip of her coffee.

The waitress came around, and they ordered their food. They talked throughout the meal about things other than themselves. It seemed they were both making an effort not to let the conversation turn in that direction. That was certainly fine with Adam. They’d done enough of that last night.

Adam was telling Heather about the tour. She poked absentmindedly at a carrot stick on her plate and listened. It was all very interesting, but she was waiting for a certain ‘in’. The ‘in’ she could use to get Jenny invited to tonight’s concert. Finally it came.

“And of course, we’ve got a show tonight. Are you coming?”

“Of course I’m coming! Last night was incredible!”

“Sounds like I don’t even have to touch you to show you a good time.” Adam said, smiling his wicked grin.

Heather matched his grin. “Don’t rule it out. I was wondering though, I was telling Jenny about the show, and she really wanted to see you guys. Do you mind?”

“Of course not. We’ll show her a good time too.”

“I’ll be sure to tell her you said that, she’ll get a kick out of it.” Heather said, laughing.

“Let me just find Paul and we’ll get that taken care of.” Adam said. They’d finished their meals by then. Adam payed the check and they proceeded to exit the restaurant, but just outside in the corridor, they ran into Bono, Edge, and Larry. Edge and Larry both nodded an amicable greeting. Bono, however, broke into vulgar barking noises at the sight of Heather and Adam together.

“Bono, knock it off.” Edge started to say, but Heather was already moving toward Bono.

“Aww! What a cute puppy!” She said, patting him on the head and mussing up his hair. “Sounds like he needs to tinkle though, you’d better take him outside, Edge.”

Without another word, Heather walked off with her arm around Adam’s waist. When they were out of earshot, Adam leaned down and kissed Heather on the cheek. “You are amazing.”

“No less amazing than you. Where are we, anyway?” She asked, looking around at the unfamiliar corridor. Many of the doors lining the walls had glass windows set into them, and were clearly not hotel rooms.

“These are meeting rooms back here, Paul should be in here.” Adam said, and poked his head through one of the doors. Inside there were a few professional-looking folks sitting around a large table, but no sign of Paul. A pretty blonde woman wearing an outfit which reminded Heather of her own much-hated ‘career attire’ looked up. “Hello Adam.”

“Do you know where Paul is?”

“Check his room, if he’s not there then he’s probably gone on to the venue already. You can call and check.”

“Thanks.” Adam said and shut the door. “Looks like we’re going upstairs.”

“Oooh, upstairs.” Heather said in a fakely seductive voice.

“Upstairs to find Paul. Not exactly the sexiest thing we could do up there.”

Heather snickered. “No, I guess not.”

But they knocked on Paul’s door to no avail. He wasn’t there. Adam rolled his eyes and took Heather by the arm again. “I’ll have to call him, I guess. My room’s right around the corner. I can call him from there.”

Heather’s heart thudded as she stepped into Adam’s hotel room. It was every temptation she’d so carefully avoided last night. She looked around while Adam headed for the phone. Neither bed was made, and a zipped suitcase sat on top of the less messy bed. Adam sat down on the other and looked at a phone number written on a paper lying on the nightstand and began dialing. Heather stood awkwardly nearby, shuffling her feet.

“This is a bit tempting.” She said and waved her arm at the messy bed.

“Can’t be too tempting, Bono’s got a key to this room.” Adam said, but then his attention was turned from her to the phone. “Hi, this is Adam Clayton. I’m calling for Paul McGuinness.” Adam paused and put his hand over the mouthpiece. “They’re getting him. Sit down.”

Heather sat down beside him, and when she had, she felt his hand on her knee. She closed her eyes and imagined that they were somewhere more private than a shared hotel room. Adam began speaking again, and she opened her eyes.

“Hey Paul, I’ve got Heather here. We need a couple of tickets for tonight. She wants to bring a friend.”

Heather smiled as she listened to the rest of Adam’s side of the short conversation. Finally he hung up the phone, and then she couldn’t stop herself. She placed one hand firmly on his chest. She could feel his heartbeat quicken as she pushed her mouth against his. She pushed against him, kissing deeper as his fingers tucked into her hair.

They’d only just gotten started (started doing what, she couldn’t be sure), when the door burst open. On instinct, she jumped away from him and stood, smoothing her shirt down. There was a half-wall between the door and the bulk of the hotel room, for which Heather was incredibly grateful. It prevented anyone standing at the door from seeing what was going on in the beds. Heather whirled toward the door, trying not to look guilty, just in time to see Bono, Edge, and Larry coming around the half-wall.

They all stopped short when they saw her there. Heather was fully expecting Bono to open his mouth with another one of his wisecracks, but it seemed that he had learned his lesson about messing with Heather. Instead he turned to Adam.

“Have you seen Paul today?”

“I just got off the phone with him. He’s at the venue.”

“Oh.” Bono said and flicked his eyes toward Heather.

Heather looked at Adam and saw that he looked a bit apprehensive about something. She sensed that there was something unspoken going on between these four men, and that it likely had something to do with her. She looked around the room again, avoiding the sets of eyes on her, then hitched her purse up onto her shoulder. “I should be going. I owe Jenny an afternoon.”

Adam stood and put a hand on her arm. “Do you want me to get you a taxi?”

“Nah, I’m gonna take the subway.”

“Alright. Adam said and walked her to the door. He stepped outside with her, where they warmly kissed goodbye, and then she walked alone down the hall back to the elevator, while Adam disappeared back into the hotel room.

Adam walked over and sat back down on the bed. The others watched him silently. He knew what they wanted to know. Even Edge was surely curious, it was only natural for him to be. Adam was just glad that no one, not even Bono, had brought it up in front of Heather. Now he raised his head and looked up at them. “Go on, then. Ask me.”

They looked at one another, and surprisingly, Larry was the first to speak, although he fiddled with his sleeves and shifted his feet a bit first. “Where did you go last night?”

“Heather’s not dealing very well with my leaving on Monday. Hell, I’m not dealing with it particularly well, myself. She wanted to go home, and she asked me to come with her.”

Bono’s reaction was exactly as Adam predicted it would be. “Ooooh!” He said, his eyes growing wide with intrigue.

Adam rolled his own. “It wasn’t like that at all. I never even saw the inside of her apartment. We went up to her roof and talked. And then we both fell asleep up there. That’s all.”

“Yeah right!” Bono shouted.

Adam was past annoyance now and edging into anger. “Why do I even bother telling you anything if you’re just going to misconstrue it until it fits your twisted imagination?” He was on his feet now, crossing his arms.

Bono said nothing, but Edge put a gentle hand on Adam’s arm. “I believe you, Adam.”

Adam put his hand over Edge’s and smiled. “I appreciate it.” He sighed and sat back down on the bed. “What’s happening to us? We never used to fight like this.” He paused, but no one offered an answer. “When was the last time we all did something together, just the four of us, when we weren’t working?”

“It’s been too long.” Edge said. “We should do something. Today.”

---------

Heh, the little bit of angst there at the end made me feel a little better.

As always, feedback is appreciated. I like knowing which parts were your favourite bits :)

:hug: :hug: Chass! Stoopid hormones or whatever. :madwife:

I do love your writing style... I think the undertones (or is it overtones?) of impending doom have coloured this chapter and left me with a vaguely unhappy feeling about the whole situation, but this is a good thing! I imagine Adam and Heather aren't feeling entirely happy themselves, and that has come through.

And that angst is very effective like that too :wink:

Thanks for all the hugs and comments, and I'm glad you're all enjoying this story :)

I've been feeling much better the last couple of days, and have even been working on a new fic (being written by request for onekea), but don't worry, I'll still be posting this one regularly :)

Back
Top Bottom