Light My Fire: Chapter 11 !!Final Chapter!! ...sort of..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
So. Some of you will be pleased to know that I actually got some writing done yesterday on one of my unfinished projects, and hopefully today I'll get some more done.

And all of you should (hopefully) be pleased (and maybe a little upset!) that I'm finally posting the final chapter of this fic.

Except.... it's not really the end ;) See the end of this post (after the chapter) for details.

---------

Nearly a week passed and still Heather heard nothing from Adam. Her search for a job had reached a near standstill because every time she left the apartment or picked up the phone, she was plagued with worry that she was missing a call from Adam.

On Friday afternoon, Heather had a surprise visit from Jenny. She’d taken the afternoon off from work due to a half-hour dental appointment, which she followed with two hours of shopping, before heading to Heather’s apartment. Heather hadn’t seen Jenny since after the concert almost a week back, and she was a sight for sore eyes. Heather embraced Jenny gladly when she answered the door.

“Still haven’t heard from him?” Jenny asked, tossing her shopping bags onto the couch.

Heather simply shook her head and sat down heavily beside the bags.

“Well, he gave you a number to reach him, didn’t he?”

“Two. His parents, and the band’s management. Both back in Ireland.”

“Have you called yet?” Heather shook her head again, prompting shock from Jenny. “Heather! Why not?!”

“I don’t know! I’m embarrassed, I guess. I mean, if it was just a matter of calling him, it wouldn’t be such a problem. I just...” She paused, considering her words. “I just can’t believe it’s bothering me this much. When have I ever been like this about a guy?”

“Never.”

“I just feel so weird calling an ocean away just to leave a message.”

“Come on.” Jenny said, holding a hand out to Heather. “I’ll walk you through it.”

Heather made a whiny sound of protest, but allowed Jenny to pull her to her feet and lead her to the kitchen. Heather sat on the stool she kept beside the phone and reached for the receiver but then stopped. “I need my address book.”

“Where is it? I’ll get it for you.”

Heather told her and then waited while Jenny went to fetch it. Heather flipped it open to the appropriate page then closed her eyes and shook her head. “You’re gonna have to dial for me.”

“Okay, which number?” Jenny said, taking the address book.

“The management, I guess. That seems less awkward.”

Jenny picked up the receiver and dialed all of the digits before handing the phone back to Heather. Heather sat stoically on the stool and listened to the phone ring, and ring, and ring. Eventually she handed it back to Jenny and told her to hang it up. “I don’t think anybody’s going to answer.”

“Well, we can try again later.” Jenny said, and then furrowed her brow. “Wait... what time is it there?”

Heather’s jaw dropped and she put her hands over her face. “We are so stupid. I completely forgot about time zones! It could be midnight there for all I know!”

“Well it’s a good thing we didn’t call his parents house then.”

“Yeah, what a good first impression that would be. ‘Hi Mr. and Mrs. Clayton! Sorry to wake you, but I’m your son’s American girlfriend.’” Heather glanced up at Jenny and smiled.

Jenny smiled back. “That’s something I was waiting to see.”

“I need more distraction though. Let’s go back to the living room. You can show me what you bought.”

“Okay, I guess we won’t be calling them back tonight anyway. You can figure out the time zone and call back on Monday.”

Heather nodded, but when Monday came, she couldn’t bring herself to pick up the phone and make the call. She still hadn’t heard from him, and was beginning to hate herself for caring so much. Heather could only assume that if he hadn’t called her by now, he must have a reason. He must not want anything to do with her. It hurt, but Heather tried her hardest not to let it get to her. Besides, she had other things to worry about, like finding a job so that she could pay her rent.

Months passed, and U2 played all over the country, but by the time the American part of the tour was over, Adam still hadn’t heard anything from Heather. Bono and Larry were none the wiser, for all they knew, Adam was over and done with Heather. Edge knew better though. Adam didn’t think he would’ve been able to get through it as well as he was, if he hadn’t been able to talk to Edge about all that he’d been feeling. They’d spent many a late evening staying up and discussing it deeply.

When the American tour was over, Adam once more found himself in Heather’s city, for a four hour layover before flying back home for a short break, before hitting the stages of Europe. Adam knew that this would be his last chance to try and find Heather. He excused himself from the others, making promises to be back at the airport in time for their flight, and then headed outside to find a taxi.

“Where to, pal?” The cabbie asked when Adam climbed into the backseat.

“I’m not sure of the exact address, but if you can get me to the neighbourhood, I’ll be able to find it.”

“Hey, it’s your dime!” The cabbie said, pulling out into the line of cars waiting to leave the parking lot.

Unfortunately, the traffic became thick as they hit mid-town, and the cabbie seemed to be becoming annoyed with Adam’s vague directions, so Adam paid him, got out, and walked the rest of the way.

The sight of Heather’s building filled Adam’s heart with renewed longing for her. He climbed the steps up to the stoop briskly, and rushed up the two flights of stairs to her floor. His heart pounded as he reached Heather’s door and knocked. He waited, but Heather didn’t come to the door. He knocked again, hoping she was just indisposed and would answer the door as soon as she was able, but soon he had to accept that she simply wasn’t there.

Adam sat down against the wall beside her door, intending to wait as long as he could for her, but she still didn’t arrive. The hour when Adam was due back to the airport was growing near, and Adam knew he couldn’t wait stay much longer. He pulled himself to his feet and went slowly back down the stairs to the street. He’d passed a small corner market on his way, and now returned to it, where he purchased a small notebook and pen, before returning to Heather’s building.

Once back outside of her door, he knocked again, hoping halfheartedly that she might’ve arrived home while he’d been gone, but had no such luck. Sitting back down on the floor, Adam composed a short note to Heather:

Dear Heather,
I’m so sorry I never called you, but I somehow managed to lose your number before I ever made it to the hotel. I had hoped you’d call for me and I’d be able to get in touch with you, but I guess you never did. We’re on our way back to Ireland now, but we had a short layover, so I came to try to find you.
I miss you terribly. Please try to get back to me as soon as you can.
Yours always,
Adam

At the bottom of the page, Adam jotted down his address and phone numbers again, just in case by some strange twist of fate, she too had lost his contact information. He tore this page out and laid it aside for a moment, and then wrote down the address of Heather’s building, which he’d made note of when he arrived. He tore this page out too, folded it several times and tucked it deep inside his wallet, determined not to lose it too. Then he plucked up his note to Heather, stood up, and knocked on the door of the apartment across from Heather’s.

A middle aged woman wearing a floral dressing gown opened the door a couple of inches and peered at him suspiciously from behind the security chain. “Yes?” She asked.

Adam decided to put on his best manners. “Excuse me, ma’am, do you know the girl that lives in the apartment across from you, Heather Foster?”

“I see her come and go, but I wouldn’t say that I know her.”

Adam nodded. “Well, I have a plane to catch, but I’d like to leave a note for her. Do you think you could see to it that she gets it?”
“I can do that.” The woman said, eyeing the note.

“Thank you. I really appreciate it.” Adam said, folding the note before slipping it into the waiting fingers poking out of the doorway. The woman took the note, nodded at him, and shut the door without another word. Adam turned around, looked at Heather’s closed door one last time, then sighed and headed back for the stairs.

---------

Don't cry just yet! You may have noticed that this chapter was particularly short. That's because there's still an epilogue after this.... which will be posted tomorrow, along with some more info on what else I have planned ;)

Silly Adam... the note goes UNDER her door... ack... :uhoh:

I'm all nervous now....

Great (if too short!) chapter... :applaud:

More plz? *puppydog eyes*

Alisaura said:
Silly Adam... the note goes UNDER her door... ack... :uhoh:
:lol: Maybe there wasn't enough space to slip it through :shrug:

And thanks to everyone for all of the comments and support and words of encouragement, throughout all the last 11 chapters.

I'm getting ready to go post the epilogue now :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom