lessons in love pt 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
lucky I have a boring saturday with little to do:wink:

Antonia found herself glancing around anxiously in case her father was watching them.. but he was across the room his back to them, she turned her atention back to Bono finding her voice.

"W-what are you doing here?"

"Donating to charity what else" Bono replied simply, but his blue eyes pierced into hers, "Whatever it takes to get a chance to talk to you"

Antonia didn't know whether she wanted to laugh or cry, and hoped she looked more composed than she felt,

"Oh Bono" was all she could say.

"Aren't you glad to see me?" he then enquired

"Of course I am.. its just, here of all places and now of all times" she glanced around her again, "You really shouldn't have come"

"It was the only way I could get to see you" Bono replied, "We need to talk Toni, can we find somewhere a bit more private around here?"

"I-I don't know" Toni stammered her heart hammering in her chest.."What if my father comes looking for me... or see's us?"

"Go Toni, I will cover for you" Seamus then told her

"C'mon" Bono replied swiftly grabbing her hand not giving her a chance to think or argue otherwise as he led her swiftly out the door of the function room.

He walked up one of the corridors of the hotel foyer to the small hallway at the end where there was an exit door, there was no one else was about and they were alone.

"Th-this is Crazy" Antonia told him, "What do you think you are doing?" she wasn't angry with him just bewildered by this unexpected actions

"Crazy is my middle name" Bono replied with a small lopsided grin, then his eyes raked her from head to toe in apprecation
"You look even more beautiful than I remember you"

"Bono you must not talk like that" Antonia chided him desperately trying to keep her own emotions in check, but it wasn't easy having him so close

"Why not? Its true" Bono replied, "And I have missed you so much" he then added in a tone that touched her heart so much she had great difficulty not wanting to just throw her arms around him and confess she missed him too.

But instead she stood wringing her hands together, glancing around her, expecting someone to come along and catch them on

"We can't do this.. you don't understand...." she tried to explain

"We are not doing anything wrong Antonia, only talking" he soothed her "And I think I understand better than you realise"

"B-but my father-" Antonia started. and Bono interrupted her.

" -Yes lets talk about your father, lets talk about how he manipulates you to do what he wants, and how you will always do what he wants because you long for his approval and backing and love, thinking you somehow have to earn it... Bono was getting warmed up now as he continued

He is your father Toni, you shouldn't have to ruin you life to prove your love and loyalty.. espicially if it means you marrying and staying with a husband that treats you like crap, and espicially if it means making sure your father's political reputation comes before your own happiness."

Bono shook his head with a small smile, "That is very selfless and noble of you Toni.. but completely unnecessary.. it doesnt have to be that way.. it shouldn't be that way, if your father can't love and accept you for who you are he is a pathetic man" he told her with conviction, grabbing her her upper arms firmly he pulled her closer to him

"You want someone to love you Toni? Do you want to feel loved? Well here I am, willing to give you it all, and you don't have to do anything else except be with me.. you don't have to be alone any more.. understand? You don't have to stay in this miserable existence trying to do whats right just to keep your father happy.. I am giving you an option a way out for you to be happy. For once in your life Toni allow yourself the luxury of being a little selfish and caring about what you want for a change.. you owe to yourself and me"

Antonia stared up at him wonderingly. No one had ever spoken quite like this to her before, who seem to understood so completely, and made her feel wanted, important. And who actually cared about her happiness and her needs.. it had a surreal feeling about it all, like it was a dream and wasn't really happening except she could feel Bono's hands gripping her arms, his blue eyes boring into hers she tried to take in what he was telling her, the possiblity of it becoming a reality, but then her fear and caution enveloped her and she shook her head.

"Bono am I understanding what you are saying?" she finally spoke up, "I-I mean, you can't really expect me to just run of with you right here right now like this...I mean things like that just doesn't happen, it would be crazy, surely you must understand that" she pointed out dazedly

Bono chuckled and hugged her to him, " Oh Toni, I am not asking you to come with you right now, I just wanted you to know how I felt..you have got as long as you need to think it over" he told her, "Sorry if I got a bit carried away blabbering, but that's how it affects me, when I care about something passionately" he finished softly

"Oh Bono" she replied in a small voice overwhelmed, she let her forehead rest against his chest,and his chin rested on the top of her head she soaked up his nearness the male musky smell of his aftershave. She so wanted to wrap her arms around him, but still didn't feel she had the right. "I just wish it was that easy" she then said achingly

"It can be Toni.. if you want it to be" he told her, "I am just letting you know I am there for you if you need me.. if you want me"

She looked up at him then... want him? Oh yes she wanted him she realised that now.. but dare she take that step he was asking?.. could she take the step he was asking? She still wasn't certain she was that brave.

"Here I want to give you something" Bono then said and reached inside his jacket.

Antonia recognised it immediatly it was his football scarf, the one he had put around her neck the night they had gone to the match together.

"I want you to have this as a token" he smiled "Of our happy times together.. a reminder of how good we were together.. how good it could be for us"

She tentively took it from him, feeling a lump rise in her throat, she couldnt speak, feeling sure she would just break down and cry if she tried.

Bono now pulled something else from his pocket a scrap of paper. "This is where I am staying for the next few days.. if you need to find me" he told her meaningfully pressing it into her hand along with the scarf.

I-I don't know what to say" she manage too reply overcome with emotion, but realising this wasn't really the time or the place she could give him the answer he wanted.. espicially when she wasn't even sure herself.

He had manage to turn her whole world upside down in this last half hour.

"Just promise me you will think over what I said" Bono told her,

"She nodded "I will, I promise.. but I think we really had better get back.. they will wonder where I am" she then realised trying to pull her tumbled emotions back together again

"Ok.. I understand" Bono relented, feeling he had said and done all he had wanted to do and now kissed her lightly on the forehead,

"Take care of yourself Toni" then he stepped back reluctantly to let her return to the function room, hoping with all his heaving heart his plan had worked.

Back
Top Bottom