Leather Day - Pop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
338%3C%3A%3C3523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D783%3D89%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234655885%3B%3Bot1lsi

^ why are Adam and Larry dressed like prisoners in this pic? :confused:

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
338%3C%3A%3C3523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D783%3D89%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234655885%3B%3Bot1lsi

^ why are Adam and Larry dressed like prisoners in this pic? :confused:

they're wearing soccer jersey's from whatever town/country they are playing. I'm assuming Edge has one on too even though you can't see him. Bono's probably covered up by his jacket. I have a few Popmart shows on video and when they come out of the lemon they are wearing a soccer jersery :D

Queen Bee said:
:bow: Thanks for the stills, erised and arw9797! :drool:

Question for the Bono girls:

Why do most of you dislike how Bono looked in the Pop era? Is it mainly the short hair that turns you off?

Just curious. :hmm:

I didn't like him bald, that's for sure...and then, his glasses make him look bug-ish at times.

The pics of him without glasses on...those are lovely. :) I love him with longer hair better though.

Queen Bee[/i] [B]Why do most of you dislike how Bono looked in the Pop era? Is it mainly the short hair that turns you off? [/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by EWM said:

I didn't like him bald, that's for sure...and then, his glasses make him look bug-ish at times.

The pics of him without glasses on...those are lovely. :) I love him with longer hair better though.

:yikes: :uhoh: I hate to even say anything, because in the past people have gotten upset. But I think we're all friends here now and can discuss this rationally. :) But since you came out and asked...

Yes, it's mainly the haircut. I don't consider that 'short hair'- to me short hair is what he had in the ES video, or at the Golden Globes, and he looks hot like that. I can't stand shaved hair on him, it ruins the looks of his face, and makes him look mangy and sick to me. Also, as EWM mentioned, the lack of hair combined with the big orange glasses gave him a buglike look, or as someone said once, a plucked, boiled chicken. The pics where he's straining and his neck is bulging with veins with no hair and the glasses on add to that chicken look. Besides that, I abhor the clothes he wore during the Pop era, especially the muscle shirt (again adding to the chicken look IMO) I prefer him with longer hair, it doesn't have to be JT long (though that is my favorite!) but just not the shaved stubble please. As long as it's long enough to lay down and comb back, it'll do. I also prefer him in darker clothes, especially black. It completes the entire package for me. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, we all like things a certain way and not other ways. No personal offense to anyone who likes the pics, please. Enjoy them, it's all a matter of taste. We're all different, but we're all friends. :)

Post away! :wave:

Personally, I don't like Bono with the short hair as much as I do say, ZooTV or Elevation Bono, either. It's just a personal preference thing. One thing I love about Bono and U2 as a whole is that they are so unpredictable, so totally un-boring, and that's wonderful. ZooTV Bono is so irrestibly *hot*, and so is Elevation Bono. I can't wait to get my hands on that Slane DVD.:drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I find it interesting that most of the people who like Bono don't like his Pop look. But I understand what you mean, sort of.....

I think Edge looks great no matter what. However, until I started watching some of the Joshua Tree footage, I hated how Edge looked during JT. It's basically what turned me away from U2 back then (in 1987) because I didn't like the hats he and Bono wore. I was only 13 and I guess I thought they looked dorky. Even after months of posting in pleba I still couldn't get past the JT look. Once I started trading for videos and I got some JT stuff, I saw Edge was still Edge then. Some of my favorite video moments are of JT Edge. It's still not my favorite look but every time I see a JT Edge picture, I think of the videos :cute:

So I guess I can understand why some of the Bono girls wouldn't like Popmart Bono. I've just never been one for long hair on men. I like it short. Bono's hair is a little too much on the long side for me even now. That's how short I like it. I guess that's why most week's I'm better suited posting pictures of :edge: instead.:D

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

I like this one. :). He looks good.

kellyahern said:

My crush and my mom's crush in the same picture...cool :D.

As for the question about why some don't particularly care for this era-I'd have to go with the hairdo as well-basically I wasn't too fond of it when it was practically almost a buzzcut. I'm just not really one for buzzcut hairdos on guys. And then there was that really brief moment when he was pretty much bald-that was just...no. :no:. And the muscle shirt is just kinda weird to me. And with that white tank top and the grey sweats or whatever they were that he wore...he reminded me of someone...can't think of who...but I know it's a type of guy I'm not particularly fond of. I don't know. *Shrugs*

But that's why I like the pictures of him in the hooded sweatshirt and the kinda army type outfit, or at least wearing those kinds of hats, from this era-if he did have a buzzcut, I couldn't see it (plus, he always looks good in hats, as I've said before, so...:)). Granted, he isn't wearing a hat in the "Staring At The Sun" video...but I think the lighting helped make him look good in that video, along with that little twirly finger thing he did that I mentioned earlier. I think that's why I like him in that video looks-wise. And in videos like "Discotheque", where his hair wasn't nearly that thinned out, it wasn't so bad-like others have said, short hair on guys is great. Just not extremely short, not buzzcut for me. I don't totally despise this look altogether, there's just certain aspects that I'm not into, therefore, it's probably the last look of his I'd pick as my favorite.

But, as U2Kitten said, that's just how I personally feel. Everyone's got their own favorite era for them, and if Bono's look at this time is what gets you going, great. :). :up:. And I'm glad that you girls who are particularly fond of this look finally have a thread to celebrate it, 'cause this era isn't one that is really used when it comes to Leather Day. You deserve to have a Pop Bono thread. :D.

Angela

I am not one for buzzed or shaved hair on any man either. I think Larry would be so much better looking if he'd just grown his hair out an inch or so! It looked like the person's head has been run over by a lawn mower or eaten by a goat. Hair has to be full, not necessarily long, for the face to look attractive to me. I can't stand it shaved down until the ears stick out.

Bono didn't look the same without his hair and the change was not for the better. He looked rougher, uglier, even smellier and scuzzier during POP IMHO. My favorite parts were missing, the hair, the eyes, the boots and sexy leather pants. I especially hate the wife beater tee shirt skinhead scruffy face pic. He looked so gross IMO. The costumes of POP were stupid to me and not sexy IMHO. I like a pretty boy look, like in the One video, any era but Pop turns me on but Pop turns me off big time. I also disliked his attitude and personality at the time, and some of the comments he made. It was like he was trying to destroy what he had been, and I liked what he had been so he digusted me. I know some of you like that era and the photos, and of course you have a right to a thead. But if you want people to explain why I could go on for quite awhile. But I think you get the message. I love Bono, and I had been a fan since Boy. Bono is like a friend to me, but Pop Bono was like a stranger I didn't like, or like to look at. That's just MHO! So don't let us who don't like the look mess up the thread if you like it. But next time you'll know why some of us don't show up:p

Last edited:
Personally, I will take him anyway he comes. :flirt: LOL

Although I do have a soft spot for the POP era - he just kind of looks unhappy and a little vulnerable..... (Be still my beating heart!)

I just want to give him a big hug, and say "Don't worry darlin', everything's going to be alright."

Post away!!

:p

imogen said:
Personally, I will take him anyway he comes. :flirt: LOL

Although I do have a soft spot for the POP era - he just kind of looks unhappy and a little vulnerable..... (Be still my beating heart!)

I just want to give him a big hug, and say "Don't worry darlin', everything's going to be alright."

Post away!!

Yeah, me too. I think I'd rather see him looking happier. I think in the Elevation period in particular he seemed really happy and more at peace with himself than he'd been a few years before. He's such a cool person; he *should* be comfortable with who he is. I read where he said he'd been "paranoid" alot during the Pop era. That's a drag. Smile, sweetie!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Yeah, me too. I think I'd rather see him looking happier. I think in the Elevation period in particular he seemed really happy and more at peace with himself than he'd been a few years before. He's such a cool person; he *should* be comfortable with who he is.

:yes:.

Originally posted by verte76
I read where he said he'd been "paranoid" alot during the Pop era. That's a drag.

That is a drag. :(. He was paranoid? Why?

Originally posted by verte76
Smile, sweetie!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

Hear, hear! He's got such an adorable smile, also an infectious one, 'cause every time I see pictures of him smiling, I immediately smile. He's dealt with a lot of crazy, stressful crap throughout his life, he deserves happiness.

Angela

That's one of the things I really see in the newest pics, he looks so happy:) I think after all these years he's happier than ever and really enjoying his life. He has Ali and they kids and his bandmates and buddies, and all that money! :) Happiness is what he deserves for all he's brought to us! :)

Seabird said:
That's one of the things I really see in the newest pics, he looks so happy:) I think after all these years he's happier than ever and really enjoying his life. He has Ali and they kids and his bandmates and buddies, and all that money! :) Happiness is what he deserves for all he's brought to us! :)

Yep. I'm glad he's got that many people around him who care about him and who he cares about. And that's so cool that he's known a lot of these people for years-he trusts them and feels like they understand and accept him for who he is, which is something that every human being deserves.

And his happiness is a nice cycle. He, with the rest of the guys, makes music that makes us happy, and since we're happy, he's happy, and therefore, because he's happy, we're happy. :). And it just keeps on going round and round. :D.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

That is a drag. :(. He was paranoid? Why?
Angela

That was in an interview. I think it was in Rolling Stone in early 2001. He said it was no longer true. I was really glad to read that because, well, like we've all been saying he should be happy!

Back
Top Bottom