Learning to Fly, Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effanbee

The Fly
Learning to Fly
Part 11

We had planned an early start the next morning. I would be taking the horses back, accompanied by Bono and Edge, while Larry and Adam drove the cars. I had fallen asleep while the band talked about plans for other countries, travelling and meetings. I woke to Edge’s gentle voice. ‘Wake up Roo. Tea’s up.’

‘You are an angel, Edge,’ I said fuzzily. ‘Tea in bed, what a luxury.’ I sat up, sipping the hot tea. Bono was still away in dreamland, curled up in his sleeping bag beside me. I watched him sleeping, thinking what a nice way of waking up this was. Bono stirred, turned on his back, stretched, opened his eyes.

‘Morning, handsome.’

‘Morning, beautiful. Is that a cup of tea I see before me?’

‘Thanks to Edge, a prince among men.’

Bono propped himself up against my legs, watching the sky change colour as the sun rose. ‘This is a good way to wake up,’ he said.

‘I was thinking the same thing.’

Bono leaned his head back to feel the morning sun on his face.

‘Look at you, scruffiest of all men,’ I said softly, smoothing his ruffled hair.

‘Think I’ll have it all cut off,’ Bono teased, knowing how much I liked his long hair.

I pulled a strand of it gently. ‘Just lose the stubble, smartass. It makes you look older.’

‘Truly?’ said Bono, seriously.

‘No. I just said that to piss you off.’

‘Watch your mouth, woman, or I’ll shave my head bald, start wearing a beanie like Edge.’

The Edge in question came over bearing food. We were having a cold breakfast, so it was probably safe to eat.

Later, when our camp was all cleared and tidied away, we walked up the path from the beach for the last time. Looking back, I saw no trace to tell we were ever there.

Winding down the track from the ridge, I could see from the cars in the yard that Larry and Adam had got back in one piece. There was also a racy red Pajero, belonging to my friend Janey, who had been feeding the cats for me. As we walked through to the kitchen I heard laughter, must be Adam being charming, I thought.

Janey was perched on the kitchen table, gazing raptly at Adam. Larry was making toast, several loaves worth, it seemed.

‘Hey, girlfriend,’ yelled Janey, jumping up to greet us exuberantly.

‘Hey. Everything alright?’

Janey had caught sight of Bono and Edge, who was sidling off towards the sitting room. Her eyes widened and she pulled me away to the back deck.

‘Where did you manage to find all these glorious men?’ Janey whispered. ‘No wonder I haven’t seen you for ages.’

‘Nice, aren’t they? I got them off the Internet,’ I said to her, straight-faced.

‘Four of them? Greedy bugger, can you spare one for me?’

‘Depends on which one you had in mind.’

Janey grinned. ‘The blond one …’

‘Taken, sorry hon. Actually, they all are. And not by me, either, so don’t you start getting ideas.’

Bono wandered out to the deck carrying a plateful of toast and honey. ‘Hey, spiky, want some toast?’ Ruffling my hair, adding toast crumbs and sticky honey.

‘Ag, don’t, you’re ruining my 50-buck hairdo. Yes, toast, but not on my head, please.’ I took a slice off the pile, sat down and watched Janey melt into a puddle as Bono courteously offered her some too.

‘Thanks,’ croaked Janey.

‘My pleasure,’ said Bono, turning round to give me a wink. He sat down beside me, engaged Janey in conversation. It’s amazing how he does that, I thought. He could sit down and talk with anyone, anywhere, and put them at ease.

Adam joined us and Janey was overcome all over again.

‘I’m off for a shower,’ I said.

‘Larry’s in there,’ said Adam. ‘And I think Edge is hiding in your office.’

‘Oh, I’ll go see if he wants something to eat,’ I said, ignoring Janey’s ‘help, don’t leave me’ look.

I took some tea and toast ad went in search of Edge. He was settled into my office armchair, complete with two cats. ‘Here you go,’ I said, handing Edge his second breakfast. ‘It’s safe to come out, Janey’s being overwhelmed by Bono and Adam.’

Edge smiled. ‘I’ll be out in a bit,’ he said, looking as if he’d be going nowhere anytime soon.

I left him in peace, ran into Larry in the sitting room, all bright and shiny from the shower, wearing only shorts.

‘Hey, Roo, where’s Edge? I need …’ Larry started to say, then we were nearly bowled by Bono, charging showerwards.

‘Queue jumper!’ I yelled after him. ‘Edge is in the office,’ I told Larry.

I could see Adam and Janey out on the deck, sitting in the swing seat, deep in conversation, so I headed for the kitchen. It’s incredible, I thought, how four men can render a house uninhabitable in five minutes. The kitchen looked like it had taken a direct hit. I ran some water in the sink, got stuck in to the washing up.

I didn’t hear Bono approaching, barefoot, behind me. He slid his hands around my waist, making me jump.

‘’Struth, Bono!’

‘Want a hand, darlin’?’

‘Mmm. You smell much nicer. Hope you left me some hot water …’ I turned around and saw that Bono was in his boxers and a singlet.

‘God Almighty! What happened to your clothes?’

‘They sort of walked off on their own,’ Bono said sheepishly.

‘You mean they’re in a pile on my bathroom floor?’

‘Might be.’ Bono moved closer.

‘You’re supposed to be helping me,’ I murmured, going a bit weak at the knees.

‘It can wait.’

Bono closed the gap between us until we were chest to chest. Feeling the warmth of his body, breathing in his fresh, clean smell, my arms moved to encircle him with no help from my brain, once more in free-fall.

I wanted to ask him what the hell he thought he was doing, how he could get through my defences so effortlessly. Push him away, you know this is going nowhere. Every time to do this it hurts you more, advised the inner pilot. I looked up into eyes the colour of sapphires, was caught, as helpless as a moth drawn to the consuming flame. Saw that there was no need to ask or give forgiveness, that we somehow fulfilled a need for each other that was far larger than the hurt.

All tension left my body, replaced with a calm sense of belonging which seemed to flow out of me and into Bono, surrounding us in a capsule of our own time and space.

Words were not needed in that clear flow of energy. All questions were answered, all answers were accepted, all that was left was love, and love, and love.

After a time, a day, a year, a lifetime, the outside world began to filter in. I raised my head from where it rested on Bono’s shoulder, he gave me a smile of pure happiness which I answered with my own.

When Larry came in to tell Bono it was time to go, I though he gave us a strange look. Maybe that was due to Bono’s state of partial undress, though.

Bono found some clean clothes and made himself look fit for a return to the real world. ‘I’ll call you tomorrow,’ he said, kissing my cheek. Then they were gone, leaving me and Janey in sudden silence.

My friend looked at me and said, ‘Three things. Wine, chocolate, and tell me everything!’

‘It’s felt as if we were characters in a book,’ I told Janey much later. ‘I just hope the author gives us a happy ending.’

I’d given Janey the whole story, from the time I stepped out of the dark hanger to meet my would-be passengers to returning from the hidden bay.

‘I don’t know whether to be envious, happy or sad for you,’ Janey said. ‘Finding someone so special and having to let him go – it would turn me into a basket-case.’

‘Watch this space,’ I laughed. ‘This time next week I’ll be on my own again. I don’t know how well I’m going to handle it.’

Janey sighed. ‘More chocolate and booze will be essential. And maybe we should go out, pick up some innocent young guys and thoroughly corrupt them.’

‘Too much like hard work. I’d rather have a man who’s our age, lots of experience and fewer insecurities.’

‘Well, Bono is going to be a difficult act to follow.’

‘You’re right there. Anyway, I don’t want anyone else. It would just be substitution, that’s no basis for a relationship.’

Janey nodded agreement. ‘Is there no way he’d ever come back? It’s not impossible, is it?’

‘It’s such a tiny chance. I can’t live my life waiting on something that’s so unlikely to happen. I’d be better off assuming I’ll not see him again.’

‘It is a chance, though … oh Roo, don’t cry.’

‘Lord, am I crying again? I didn’t know I had so many tears in me, or so much laughter. Pour me some more wine, see if I can’t numb my stupid heart.’

Janey filled my glass. ‘You’ve got my eyes leaking now,’ she said. ‘What a pair of softies we are.’

‘Anyway, I can see him every day – I only need to turn on the TV, fire up the DVD. I can hear his voice singing to me anytime I want,’ I said, trying to look for something positive.

‘They’re all pretty special, aren’t they?’ said Janey. ‘Adam talked to me for ages, I know I could spend a lot of time getting to know him. And Larry’s to die for …’

‘Ah, you like the bad boys,’ I teased her.

Janey gave me a wry smile. ‘Well, I didn’t see much of Edge and Bono was clearly off-limits, although he was nice to talk to as well.’

‘He is, though, isn’t he?’ I agreed. ‘And Edge is just splendid, he’s got a wicked sense of humour.’

‘Adam was saying he might come to New Zealand for his honeymoon,’ Janey told me. ‘And Larry wants to explore the open roads, ride his bike from one end of the country to the other, or some such mad scheme.’

‘Edge was thinking of bringing his family over when they get some time,’ I said.

‘So you may well see Bono’s mates again at least,’ said Janey brightly.

‘Yeah, and I only have to get on the Net to find out just about everything they do and everywhere they go.’

‘Almost as good as the real thing.’

‘Almost …’

Awww.. man.. wonderfully done once again.
I can't believe they are leaving... :(
It's so like that - you spend some time with someone, and despite your best intentions and your warnings to yourself that the situation is temporary and not to get attached - you find yourself getting deeper than you dared.

Awwww... Bono you beautiful bastard.... duplicitous angel - how could you be doing that? And damn you... your self control.

I can't wait for an update.... *turns inside out*... see?
:)

Love love love it.
It's so achingly wonderful.

:( :sad: :( :sad:

:scream:

you're torturing me, and I like it, that must mean you're good!

Can you tell me or pm me what the sequel is about please? :flirt:

Last edited:
Hee hee, torturing Gluey and Galeongirl and BDO is now inside out :evil: I hope it's an exquisite kind of torture ...

Yep, there's a sequel but I haven't typed it up yet - it may or may not get posted here after Xmas, I'm still deciding if it's suitable to post. Gluey is going to act as judge and jury for me. Not that there's anything graphic (we've all got vivid imaginations, after all!), but I don't want to break forum rules.

Also, Slopsy HATED the ending of the sequel … but I stand by author's rights not to change it!!

you can also cut the 'too much' parts out, and email/pm them to people.... I see you're not a premium member, but if you email it to me I'd be able to pm it to everyone :)

:isveryinterestedinthesequel:

can you PLEASE tell me what it's about :scream: You're torturing me so badly!

Galeongirl, rest assured - I will email the sequel to you anyway :hug:

It's about … well, :bono: of course! But :edge: has quite a starring role too. The 'duplicitous angel' (love that description, BDO!) falls from grace … or maybe not? Beyond that, I'm not telling :angel:

Anyone ever tell you Effanbee that you're a horrendous tease!!! :hug: Still love my stalking buddy though!!!

Effanbee - perhaps you should email the story around then. :)

*looks around worriedly, then whispers* I hate rules....

I don't want you to censor your brilliance.
Not that I'm looking for graphic at all... but I prefer to be my OWN censor, you know? Power to the people.

*Flinches* I really don't know how much I can say.

Hehe, thanks Effanbee - I rather like the description of Bono has a Duplicitous Angel too - it just came to me when growling with frustration over his ability to turn it on then rein it in in your story.

Well if you have any plans to email it out - I'm fully up for it :)

I eagerly await more - so I could turn myself the right way in again... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom