Larry's dad dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stina70

Babyface
I got "U2 by U2" today - what a great book :love:

For some reason I started from the end of the book, and checked out the acknowledgments. Larry's acknowledgments really confused me! He's thanking his sister Cecilia at the beginning, but at the end; "This book is dedicated to my parents Laurence and Maureen Mullen, and to my sister Mary". :confused:

Has his father passed away?! When? It just doesn't make any sense to me why he's thanking his other sister, while he dedicate the book to the others if his father is still alive......

Could his father's death be a possible reason why they postponed the tour?! (besides the illness of Edge's daughter).

Not a chance , wasnt larry's dad on that group picture with all the dads there ?.

Then again maybe it would explain why we didnt hear a word from him.

But surely if he did pass away we would of got a leak..

Vaz, that group pic is from 2000... Bono's dad was on it too, so that doesn't say anything..
Larry is a very private person, so yea, it could be that he passed away, but then again, we don't know...

IMHO - I feel like if Larry's Dad had passed away, we would have heard about it. The tour was postponed in 2005 and recently as little Sian Evans was ill... that's clearly documented in the book.

Larry credits his father as encouraging him to start a band and being v. supportive hroughout the book and Larry Sr also helped them financially in the beginning...

the dedication is most likely out of love and respect...

tbird said:

My thoughts precisely. Many authors dedicate book to loved ones who are still alive. I believe we would have heard if his father had passed away.

tbird said:
IMHO - I feel like if Larry's Dad had passed away, we would have heard about it. The tour was postponed in 2005 and recently as little Sian Evans was ill... that's clearly documented in the book.

Larry credits his father as encouraging him to start a band and being v. supportive hroughout the book and Larry Sr also helped them financially in the beginning...

That is how I took it!!!:wink:

With Larry, I think anything we're not sure about, Larry either doesn't want us to know, doesn't think it's any of our business, or doesn't think we'd care.

I hadn't really given any of this any serious thought because I know what a private person Larry is. Whether his father is alive or not, it was a respectable gesture of Larry to have mentioned his loved ones in his dedication.

Yeah, you might be right that he dedicate the book out of love and respect. I just got the feeling that he was thanking a dad that has passed away, by mentioning him at the same place as his dead mother and sister, and not by dedicating the book to his other sister Cecilia (or even Ann and the kids). But thats just me..... :shrug:

Like Meghan, I think it's not so sure that we would have heard about it - he's very private, and it wouldn't surprise me if he managed to keep it a secret!

Galeongirl said:
Vaz, that group pic is from 2000... Bono's dad was on it too, so that doesn't say anything..
Larry is a very private person, so yea, it could be that he passed away, but then again, we don't know...

I know that , my point was if it happened it happened recently instead of 20 years ago.

I'm sure he wouldn't assume the fans wouldn't care - he's an observant man; he cannot have failed to notice the support given to Bono when his father passed. I think, if his father has passed, he likely just doesn't want to deal with it publically. He doesn't strike em as the type to go, "none of your business!" if a fan asked him directly. It probably hasn't crossed his mind that that looked wierd.

i thought i remember in the VH1 legends show, they said that larry's parents died in a car accident or something, early in they're career, and it got into how bono helped him thru the tuff time bc his mother had passed at a young age as well....someone correct me

Z00rop@83 said:
i thought i remember in the VH1 legends show, they said that larry's parents died in a car accident or something, early in they're career, and it got into how bono helped him thru the tuff time bc his mother had passed at a young age as well....someone correct me

That was his mum , didnt his sister die before larry was born :huh:

His mom died in a traffic accident. In the new book, it says that his younger sister died in 1973 when she was nine years old.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom